Search Unity

1. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Want more efficiency in your development work? Sign up to receive weekly tech and creative know-how from Unity experts.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Participate with students all over the world and build projects to teach people. Join now!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Build games and experiences that can load instantly and without install. Explore the Project Tiny Preview today!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

ARCore vs AR Foundation

Discussion in 'ARCore' started by sjonsjine, Nov 21, 2018.

1. sjonsjine

sjonsjine

2. sjonsjine

sjonsjine

Think I found it already, forget ARCore, just use AR Foundation with the ARCore or ARKit plugin! Same code for both! Wow!

Am I right? Hope so!

Freddy

3. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

Unity Technologies

Hi Freddy,

Yes, that's right. ARFoundation talks to multi-platform APIs in Unity and doesn't need to know whether it is communicating with ARCore or ARKit. This lets you write the same code regardless of which platform you are targeting.

-Tim

4. Cosmonaut72

Cosmonaut72

Hi Tim,

Is AR Foundation considered deployment ready, or is it still in development? I want to release a prototype of my application in January and I'm wondering if AR Foundation is going to be consistently reliable and market ready by then.

Thanks for any info you can provide,

Aidan

5. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

Unity Technologies

It is still in "preview" since we are still missing some features that ARKit and ARCore provide (e.g., image tracking, object tracking, environment probes & cloud anchors). If those are necessary for your app, then you might need a different solution for an app you plan to develop in the next couple of months.

6. Cosmonaut72

Cosmonaut72

Thanks Tim, this is really helpful.
    Is there a GitHub I can follow progress?

7. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

Unity Technologies

We have a samples repo on GitHub, which is usually updated when a new release is available. We also add a sample for each new feature. I also usually make an announcement on this forum when we publish a new release.

8. sjonsjine

sjonsjine

Hi Tim, I am a beginner and last week I tweaked the sample scene, replaced the cube with own object and it worked. But now 3 days later when I make a build the touch doesn't work anymore. I just found out on Github the text behind the sample scene "updated scene camera and removed touch phase" removed the touch phase?? Why is that and how can I now place an object on a detected pointcloud/ plane? Thanks!

9. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

Unity Technologies

That change is quite old (~5 months). The change there was to always instantiate the prefab if it had not yet been instantiated. Previously, it would only instantiate the prefab if
    1. It had not been instantiated already and
    2. This was a new touch
    So, for instance, it wouldn't have worked if you touched the screen in some corner where there wasn't a plane, and then dragged your finger over a plane.

This change should not have stopped your scene from working. If your sample no longer works, what changed in between? Did you update the samples repo? Change your code elsewhere?

It is always helpful to check the adb logcat output for errors; perhaps an exception is thrown which prevents your scene from working, or some other error message may indicate the problem. You can easily filter the output for messages from Unity with

adb logcat -s Unity