Search Unity

Resolved ARCore User face tracking and mainLightDirection estimation

Discussion in 'AR' started by Bersaelor, Dec 23, 2020.

1. Bersaelor

Bersaelor

So, our AR app is using face recognition to put content on the users face.

As long as I set the 'Light Estimation' to only do 'Ambient Intensity' and or 'Ambient Color' it's fine, but as soon as I flip on 'mainLightDirection' the scene goes to World camera AR mode, without face detection.

In our SceneKit/ArKit/iOS app light direction estimation works great while user facing.

Is it possible that ARFoundaton/ARCore Android does not support face recognition as well as light direction estimation at the same time? What are the options here?

PS: ARFoundation installed is 4.0.9, Unity 2020.2.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  2. Bersaelor

Bersaelor

Does Environment Probe Estimation work with User facing AR? I added the same `AREnvironmentProbeManager` that is also used in the ARFoundation samples app to my scenes AR origin, yet nothing seems to happen (and my scene's metal test ball does not receive any extra lighting).

3. Bersaelor

Bersaelor

PS: Delving further into this, it also appears that off the two values:

Code (CSharp):
    1. args.lightEstimation.averageColorTemperature
    2. args.lightEstimation.colorCorrection
    only the `colorCorrection` will ever have a value. `averageColorTemperature` is always null, which is kind of annoying, since this is the main value I use for getting the lighting correct on iPhones.

4. mfuad

mfuad

Unity Technologies

There's no way to do this as ARCore only supports mainLightDirection in world-facing mode, and ARKit only supports it in user-facing mode.

This video describes how to check supported configurations per device:

Bersaelor likes this.