Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

ARCore: Emulator and unity

Discussion in 'ARCore' started by Tarrag, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Tarrag

Tarrag

Hi !

I'd like to test ARCore using Unity/c# before buying an android device - can I use Unity and ARCore emulator without having a device to put together an AR app but just using a camera from my PC, and does the camera require a specific spec?

I read Android Studio Beta now supports ARCore in the Emulator to test an app in a virtual environment right from the desktop, but can't tell if the update is integrated into Unity.

https://developers.googleblog.com/2018/02/announcing-arcore-10-and-new-updates-to.html

Any tips how people may be interacting with the app using a pc camera would be really helpful.

Thank you for your help !

Sergio

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Without even researching other options, I don't think it'll work. ARCore uses your Android device's IMU and camera to track where it is in the space. I don't think replacing it with a camera will work, but I could be wrong.

3. fiachradunn

fiachradunn

A little late, but in case anyone has gotten here from google. There's a guide here to get ARCore working in an emulator; https://developers.google.com/ar/develop/java/emulator

Unfortunately I've only gotten it working with Android Studio samples, but the samples in Unity currently just display a black screen (this could be unrelated to the emulator though, I'm not sure).

4. tdeNT

tdeNT

unityunity