Search Unity

ARCore blurry (Samsung S8) using sample + Unity 2017.03.01p4

Discussion in 'AR' started by Arkade, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Arkade

Arkade

Hi
    Sorry if this is a FAQ entry and I've just not found it!

Wanted to try ARCore, using Unity 2017.03.01p4, updated my Android SDKs to latest, downloaded the ARCore 1.1.0, followed QuickStart instructions, installed app on my SGS8 and ran.

The image is really blurry and unsurprisingly fails to detect any surfaces. Experimenting reveals the camera focus is super-close (approximately 5cm?). Even at this range, it still only shows 3-5 dots indicating potentials but still no surfaces. Checking, I see ARCore disables auto-focus but I assume either I've missed some setting or something's going awry.

Phone info:
    Model SM-G950F
    Android version 8.0.0
    Security patch 1 March 2018 (i.e. firmware update last night!)

Sadly I don't have other capable devices to compare on. In case relevant, I do have latest DayDream bits installed (since I'm primarily working on a VR game).

Any pointers appreciated. Thx :)

2. nilsdr

nilsdr

This is going to sound weird, but try shaking the phone around a bit (when the image is blurry)

3. Arkade

Arkade

OK, so this is gonna sound a little crazy but when I restarted the app (unchanged since earlier) to try your suggestion, the blurriness was gone!?! I know there wasn't anything on the lens then or now (I checked). I did use the phone today including the camera for videoing this afternoon. Maybe that could have nudged something? Weird.

Well, I can only hope users don't experience this when they first try our AR experiences! Perhaps we should include "take some photos of your kids" and/or "try again later" in our user FAQs ;-)

p.s. thanks @nilsdr for taking the time to try to help! (was your suggestion based on anything particular?)

4. nilsdr

nilsdr

I work in AR and while developing an arcore app ive seen this happen a number of times on a colleagues s8. Each time it was solved by shaking it around

Arkade likes this.
  5. Arkade

Arkade

Well, great tip! Thanks! Out of curiosity is it a one-time thing? (i.e. once it's been fixed, it will never reoccur?) vs. it happens sometimes and my users with S8s will just need to be aware.

Also wow, how cool is working in AR? I look forward to the dream of having all my debug windows plastered on walls and the IDE showing my code like King Candy from "Wreck it Ralph" hacking the game's code.

Yeah, ok, I'm joking. ...but it would/will be super cool :D

6. nilsdr

nilsdr

No it was a recurring thing. I asked my colleague and he sais he hasn't seen it since the Oreo update, so perhaps that fixed it?