Search Unity

Architecture: virtual tour of the Ecotron of montpellier

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Marc S, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Marc S

Marc S

Hi everybody.

I've already shown you the beta of the CRNS' Ecotron. Right now, I'm completing the final version.

Now, you can get inside, see the machinery and get on the roof observe the domes.
    I still need to ad the furnitures, set-up the interior lighting and correct few details but the main frame is there.

I invite you to try it and to give me a feedback, especially about performances. webplayer Virtual tour Ecotron

I also made an interactive "cut view" of a dome so you can see the way it works.

Have a nice tour.

2. yuriythebest

yuriythebest

Cool! for the uninitiated, what is the Ecotron and how does it differ from the CERN particle accelerator thingy?

3. Marc S

Marc S

It has nothing to do with the CERN particle accelerator. The Ecotron is more simple than that: it is meant to study how plants will react and adapt to global warming.

Basically, it is a climate control environment. A dome contains plants in a vat of earth and the machinery bellow make the scientists able to set the temperature and humidity the way they want for the experiment. Each dome has it's own climate control system so you can study up to 12 different scenarios.

This one is located near Montpellier, in France, because these long term experiment need the regular sunshine of the region.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  4. Marc S

Marc S

Here is the last webplayer. :)

I started working the lighting using the directional lighting for the first time. It still need settings.

I also tried the LOD for the long corridor neons.

Comments are welcome. ;)

5. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

wow ... nice .... great job.

6. realvisual

realvisual

Looks great. Detail section looks really good, very useful for picturing the design.

7. Marc S

Marc S

Thanks guys.

More details are coming. I just added up pipes, wires and electrical closet in the corridor. Doors' material need some work.

It runs at 400 draw calls max and in the 300 triangles but I still have to add some furniture and the occlusion culling doesn't work properly. :-/

8. tomekkie

tomekkie

Good job.
    As for myself, I would add some posts to the wire fence and consider some edits or replacement to the grass texture, because its color seems a little bit too artificial for me. I would also consider more subdivisions in the dome structures.
    The crosssection scene looks perfect.

my Unity3d experiments
    http://virtualplayground.d2.pl

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  9. Marc S

Marc S

Thanks for your detailed comment.

I'll probably add some posts to the wire fence but I try to keep it simple so I'm sure it will work on low end devices.

I'd like to add subdivs on the domes (they used to be like in the cross section) but these tends to be triangle heavy very quickly. Plus, the occlusion culling isn't perfect meaning that the domes are still present in the labs where I'm gonna add some furniture. So if I can't manage to cull them when the camera is inside, they are going to stay that way. :-/

Nice work by the way. I just tried your Rubik's Cube.

10. Torsh

Torsh

Those are beautiful. Reminds me of Mirror's Edge.