Search Unity

'Architecture' question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SeanDev, Oct 29, 2015.

1. SeanDev

SeanDev

I am just learning Unity and what I have learned thus far is that there is at least some level of modeling is possible using Unity instead of importing assets from something like Blender.

My question is from an 'Architecture' standpoint. What should I build in Unity and what should I consider building in a 3d modeling program?
    Is the answer just based on 'what is possible in said engine' or is it better in some cases to go ahead and make that shack in Blender instead of Unity.

question make sense?

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

You shouldn't really use Unity as a modelling tool at all. At most, you should use those internal capabilities to prototype things.

TonyLi, Martin_H, landon912 and 5 others like this.
  3. SeanDev

SeanDev

thanks! that is the answer I was looking for

4. SeanDev

SeanDev

I want to follow up with another question

Which graphical items in a game should be done in one vs the other (game engine)vs 3d model)

Example:
    Characters and 'monsters' = 3d Moddeler
    Houses and buildings = ?
    weather = ?

5. Steelshot

Steelshot

Unity shouldn't really be considered a architecture program. If you want a architecture program here's a list of free and paid ones.

Free:

Blender

Paid:

3DS Max
    Maya
    Maya LT
    Cinema 4D

I recommend Cinema 4D because it is the easiest (in my opinion) to control and use.

6. Stardog

Stardog

Note that Blender/Sketchup import directly into Unity. There's no need to export.

Blender is free for commercial use. Sketchup 2015 isn't, but you can maybe find an older "Google Sketchup" version which might be. Sketchup is easiest for architecture and anything "box shaped".

7. neginfinity

neginfinity

There's ProBuilder system/plugin/whatever that allows you to prototype levels by modeling from within the editor. Not sure what the price was ... $50 or more, IIRC.

However, unity isn't made to be modeling application, you can either model entire level in external editor and export it OR you can make pieces of environment and position then within unity.

Ryiah and Kiwasi like this.
  8. Ryiah

Ryiah

There's the free ProBuilder Basic, the full ProBuilder Advanced for $95, and ProCore Complete for $150. If you're heading down this route you likely want the full package as it's a very nice collection of tools.

9. SeanDev

SeanDev

this is all interesting but it doesnt really answer my second questions but that is ok I figure its a bit of an obvious answer

10. Ryiah

Ryiah

Honestly I feel like the answer to your second question is simply whatever gets the job done for you.