Search Unity

Question Architecture: how to manage game rooms on the server

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by buckmaister, Oct 3, 2023.

1. buckmaister

buckmaister

Hello everyone,

I've been learning Unity for about a year now and have been working on personal projects to practice my skills. Currently, I'm focusing on multiplayer game development, with the goal of creating a game similar to "Clash Royale."

I've explored options like Photon Fusion and Quantum (Quantum has a paid model within the gaming circle) but i came across "Mirror," which seems like a promising solution.

Currently, my game works with one player acting as both the client and server, while the other player acts as a client. They can connect and enter a room successfully. However, I want to improve the architecture by creating a backend system that runs on the server, with the smartphone apps functioning solely as clients.

I've had trouble finding examples of a similar architecture, which makes me wonder if I'm heading in the right direction. Additionally, if I aim to have more than two players, how should I manage the creation of new "arenas" for the game?

I'm feeling a bit confused and could use some guidance to help me reorganize my thoughts. Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!