Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions. On July 12, the Unity Forums will become read-only. On July 15, Unity Discussions will become read-only until July 18, when the new design and the migrated forum contents will go live. Read our full announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.

Question Architecture: how to manage game rooms on the server

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by buckmaister, Oct 3, 2023.

1. buckmaister

buckmaister

Hello everyone,

I've been learning Unity for about a year now and have been working on personal projects to practice my skills. Currently, I'm focusing on multiplayer game development, with the goal of creating a game similar to "Clash Royale."

I've explored options like Photon Fusion and Quantum (Quantum has a paid model within the gaming circle) but i came across "Mirror," which seems like a promising solution.

Currently, my game works with one player acting as both the client and server, while the other player acts as a client. They can connect and enter a room successfully. However, I want to improve the architecture by creating a backend system that runs on the server, with the smartphone apps functioning solely as clients.

I've had trouble finding examples of a similar architecture, which makes me wonder if I'm heading in the right direction. Additionally, if I aim to have more than two players, how should I manage the creation of new "arenas" for the game?

I'm feeling a bit confused and could use some guidance to help me reorganize my thoughts. Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!