Search Unity

Games Architect Build Craft - A Minecraft Style Game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by SmaKenid, Mar 10, 2017.

1. SmaKenid

SmaKenid

Hello, I am Smakenid a college student who is currently developing a game with Unity. I hope to have opinions and advice to improve the game before its release.

What is Architect Build Craft?

It is a mobile game in a universe like Minecraft in which the player must successfully build the given maps. The game has several levels. Each level has a map of the Minecraft style, but unlike this one, this map called model has a finite size. It can be a house, a bridge, a car, etc. The goal of the player is to reproduce the model as precisely as possible in another generally empty map, using the elements of the model that he draws from his Inventory and has an unlimited quantity.

To summarize, we have two maps at each level. That of the player (in which he is) and the one he must build. When the player finishes and validates his build, the level is succeded when the two maps are equal or almost equal. In order for the player to see what he has to build, he can, when he wishes, display the map to be reproduced, the screen then divides into two. The position of the player is the same in both maps (the view being in the first person), the movements are synchronized.

Goal
    My goal for this project is to produce a quality game and that will be much downloaded. The game will first be available on the Play Store and if it is successful, it will be ported to other mobile platforms.

Progression
    I started the game a little more than 6 months ago, I made an editor (an image of which is above) which will help me to build the maps of the game. Currently I'm developing the game itself.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    GarBenjamin likes this.
  2. SmaKenid

SmaKenid

Hello everyone!

The project has considerably evolved and is close to its finalization. The beta that will contain 5 maps will be available on Sunday. I will try to post the image of a map a day in the next 4 days.
    - The different menus and GUI elements have been made. Here's what the main menu will look like:

- The division of the screen to see the model (what to build) is now possible and completely functional. In the image below, the circled arrow buttons allow the model to take 3 different proportions of the screen.

- Several objects have been added. The one that made me waste the most time is the stair, because not only its orientation depends on the position of the player, but also its shape changes according to the adjacent stairs. The doors can now be opened and closed.

- The algorithm that corrects the player's maps to determine if he succeeds or fails a level is completed.

What remains me to do:

- build beta maps with the editor
    - add sounds in the menus and in the game (when you place or destroy an item)
    - improve mobile performance
    - solve some bugs.

Thanks for reading me :)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  3. SmaKenid

SmaKenid

Hello, here are the images of the first two levels of the Sunday beta:

The first map is the villager house, it will allow the player to learn the interface and mechanics of the game. The second is an ambulance. I also want to point out that there are invisible walls that limit the map, the player will not fall into the void. To make a little more real, I will add a cubmap that will represent mountains to surround the map and hide the void.

4. SmaKenid

SmaKenid

Hello,
    The beta version of the game is now available on google play:
    Https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.Smakenid.ABC

I was late because the last map took me much longer than expected, I also had to take a few more days to do a complete technical review.
    Here are the third and fourth level images, the last is a surprise.

I hope to have feedback on playability and performance. :)