Search Unity

ARCHIMATIX PRO Node-based Parametric Modeling for Unity [Unity Awards Finalist]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by roryo, Jun 4, 2015.

1. AwesomeNewbie

AwesomeNewbie

Really cool!

roryo likes this.
  2. L0ve3d

L0ve3d

It works just fine on unity 2019.2. and the dev is working on 2019.3 already ...do not know what you are talking about...this asset is great indeed!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    roryo and wetcircuit like this.
  3. danilonishimura

danilonishimura

[1.2.2] Terrain Stamper doesn't seem to be working in the 2019.3, and the Terrain Deformer puts the assets in the wrong position (way above the terrain, in my case)

4. MikhaskoS

MikhaskoS

I tried working in 2019.2+ and 2019.3. Objects have no markers and cannot be built. This is probably due to localization.

5. roryo

roryo

I am submitting a new version to the asset store tomorrow. V 1.2.3 fixes the SceneView issues with Unity 2019.2 and 2019.3 (though there are still UI issues with 2019.3).

A note about how this bug in Unity 2019.2 endured for a few months after it went live: AX came out with Unity 5.4. From then through Unity 2018+, there were few adjustments needed to AX to keep it in sync with Unity's evolution. However, from 2019.2 on, Unity has been altering its API significantly, which, I must admit, caught me a bit off guard. This means that I need to be a bit more proactive on testing AX in Unity alphas and betas. I am glad that Unity seems to be accelerating their development without worrying too much about legacy, but it will certainly mean more work for me! And yes, I am committed to AX development. It is a prime passion for me. :)

wetcircuit likes this.
  6. roryo

roryo

@danilonishimura - thank you so much for reporting these issues with 2019.3!

7. roryo

roryo

@photonic - thanks for this report! And you know I am a sucker for positive feedback!

8. MikhaskoS

MikhaskoS

Thanks for the answer. Your work is inspiring. Most programs go from small to big, and you go from big to small like a real artist.

9. danilonishimura

danilonishimura

@roryo is it possible to have multiple the objects in repeater instances? Say I have 3 variations of a wall and I want to (pseudo) randomly pick one and put in that section.

In houdini I could randomize based on the point index or local position so I can always generate the same output if I input the same values.

10. roryo

roryo

Not currently, but this would certainly be a great feature. Probably the simplest way to implement it would be to use a ShapeChanneler node as input to a repeater. I would just need to add some code to the repeaters to detect if a ShapeChanneler is the input and reach back to the ShapeChanneler's inputs. I already have a 3D Perlin noise controlling the Jitter tool for repeaters so I could probably use it to select an index for the input channel. You mentioned wall modules - perhaps the PlanRepeater should be the first to try this out on?

wetcircuit and danilonishimura like this.
  11. danilonishimura

danilonishimura

@roryo yes I use a PlanRepeater. I'm looking into the channeler, grouper and repeaters to try to understand how to write my own repeater with some level of randomization.

12. roryo

roryo

I am glad you are thinking of creating your own repeater! Have you seen this manual page? Its not that detailed, but hopefully can help get you started with custom node development. I am here to help fill in the blanks. :)

13. danilonishimura

danilonishimura

@roryo I did, but it seems way too superficial. Seeing the repeater code it's clear it tries to be intuitive, but it's actually quite complex due to the size of the class. It's a bit hard to map what goes where. Maybe with time I'll get that, but for now it just looks quite hard to understand.

14. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Making some shape nodes inspired by mid-century "Googie" architecture.
    Unity - Main Camera 2019-10-15 at 08.34.27.png
    Unity - Main Camera 2019-10-15 at 22.43.00.png

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  15. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

16. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

17. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

18. Edvard-D

Edvard-D

Archimatix is causing a compatibility issue with the asset Doozy. Specifically, Archimatix has a class called NodeMenu that's not encapsulated by a namespace. Doozy has a class with the same name (which is encapsulated by a namespace). I need to start work on my UI but I'm not able to use Doozy and Archimatix at the same time. Every asset should be using namespaces to prevent this sort of stuff from happening.

When can I expect this to be fixed?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  19. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

2 new undulating wave nodes:
    SineWave – amplitude is constant.
    SineWaveRamp – amplitude increases.

(same parameter values on both nodes for comparison)

scale is the shape's width in Unity units (meters). Adjusting scale preserves the relative curve.
    amplitude height of the wave, relative to scale and segs.
    radians is the number of times the wave crosses the horizon (peaks + valleys).
    segs sets the smoothness of the curve.

AX 1.2.3 and up required
    http://community.archimatix.com/axshare/sinewave-and-sinewaveramp-nodes/

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    led_bet, trilobyteme and photonic like this.
  20. roryo

roryo

Thanks for this report, @Vartib! The fix is in. Submitting to the AssetStore now. :)

wetcircuit likes this.
  21. Edvard-D

Edvard-D

Awesome, thanks! As a heads up, the scripts CurvePoint and CurvePoint3D are throwing an error since they're missing a "using AXGeometry" declaration.

22. roryo

roryo

Is this in AX v. 1.2.3?

23. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

@roryo

I am using a Grid Repeater with a boundary shape to place nodes.

However some of them overlap the edges, so I was wondering whether there is any way the bounding shape can have a margin of some kind to disallow shapes/(cubes) from overlapping the edge?

cheers

Nalin
    AXBoundary Node.png

24. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

On the GridRepeater, under the Bounding Shape input, adjust the Offset.

syscrusher likes this.
  25. awesomedata

awesomedata

Looks like I missed a lot of the fun -- I'm looking at placing many along the same plan... Is this possible without tons of nodes?

Seems like combining this with a WinWall approach would be really useful.

Also, I'm still wanting to easily do tile-ish layouts with AX, with cutouts for replacement ramp tiles at certain places in the plan shape (along a grid). -- A way to instance shapes of the same kind (and replace them later with an entirely different shape) like this is still top priority for me...

26. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Awesome! thank you so much @wetcircuit

Thought I'd tried everything...

wetcircuit likes this.
  27. Eva-Dragonflame

Eva-Dragonflame

Hi @roryo I am back from holidays and the update with the plan placer is already in the store! I am so super happy! It works just perfect! Yes oh yes :):):)

wetcircuit likes this.
  28. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

29. L0ve3d

L0ve3d

Hello Royro, thank you for working permanently to make Archimatix better. May I ask if there are already any news regarding the 3d curve? Is there perhaps a time window in which we can expect it? Thank you!

30. awesomedata

awesomedata

Also, what kind of ETA are we looking at for 2019.3 support, @roryo?

31. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 11.23.38 AM.png

How do we make 2D sprites?

Does it create a sprite somewhere in the project? or, should I see a popup window?
    Does the model need to face a certain axis?

Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 11.13.11 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 11.13.26 AM.png

syscrusher and neoshaman like this.
  32. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

ehh, maybe better to keep live AX nodes and use a render texture/canvas…?
    hmmm.

Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 7.02.22 PM.png

neoshaman likes this.
  33. syscrusher

syscrusher

Nice! By pure coincidence, I've been working on a cinematic project (which @roryo has seen at Unite and keeps pushing me to publish...but it's not ready yet!) in which I create a very similar dome structure to the one you have, only at what I believe is a larger scale (based on looking at the elevated tube platforms in your other image).

You (@wetcircuit) probably already know this (*), but for the benefit of others who might be new to Archimatix and working on large structures like this, I found that it is better to break the transparent part of the dome into multiple meshes, typically one for each wedge between the frame segments, to improve rendering performance. If you have enough subdivisions on the curved surface to make it appear smooth from a nearby camera, on a large structure it becomes an all-or-nothing proposition for occlusion culling. By breaking the dome into segments, the occlusion bake can allow selective culling if only part of the dome is in the camera frustum.

This may not matter for structures of the size @wetcircuit has, but my dome is a large sci-fi habitat enclosure about half a kilometer in diameter, and for that it emphatically made a difference to break it up. (Bottom line, as with most optimization processes, you have to try it both ways in your scene and measure the impact of the change.)

(*) With no false humility, I'll freely concede that @wetcircuit knows Archimatix far, far better than I do! I always learn something new from your posts, so please keep them coming. :)

roryo, neoshaman and wetcircuit like this.
  34. syscrusher

syscrusher

Interesting -- I've not looked at the Mesh Output from this node. If it's producing a planar mesh, that might be a really interesting way to generate world-space UI elements for 3D scenes and for XR HUDs.

roryo and wetcircuit like this.
  35. roryo

roryo

36. roryo

roryo

I should remove that menu item. It was an exploration in have AX generate 2D Sprites, but its not ready for prime time. :oops:

led_bet and wetcircuit like this.
  37. roryo

roryo

wetcircuit likes this.
  38. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

o_O *smacks forehead*
    I was rendering the word balloon mesh to it's own fx layer for camera culling...
    Screen Shot 2019-11-04 at 11.29.46 AM.png
    but yeah, hologram shaders and fx, and UI panels… and defining areas and volumes… that should all be parametric.
    Great idea! :cool:

OOooooh! Can't you give us some teaser pics? :cool:

roryo likes this.
  39. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

:p 2019.3beta is so stressful, everyone is freaking out.
    I am ignoring its shenanigans until an official release… and then at least 1 update.

roryo likes this.
  40. Nevercallmebyname

Nevercallmebyname

The time draws nearer. Soon I will be using archimatix and showing you all what it's truly capable of.

roryo, AwesomeNewbie and neoshaman like this.
  41. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Figured out how to use an if conditional to switch to different turtle script:
    Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 3.37.34 PM.png
    When tension is negative, the molding type switches from ovolo to cove.

IfNegative.gif
    Curve is now always smoothed and no more "muffintop" when the molding turns inside-out.

It's actually explained on the AX manual pages under Conditional Block, but somehow I'd missed it… :rolleyes:
    http://www.archimatix.com/manual/archimatix-turtle-script-api

led_bet, syscrusher, roryo and 2 others like this.
  42. Ruufer

Ruufer

hey guys,
    new user here (day 2)

how can I vary the scale of a Section as it goes along a plan?

IE- turn this
    upload_2019-11-7_10-31-17.png

into this:
    upload_2019-11-7_10-31-42.png

AMAZING PLUGIN my life is completely changed already

Attached Files:

43. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

I think you will want to create the shape as a "wall", in other words: flat with an extrude node.
    Then you will warp the wall around a circle, using a plan deformer node.
    you will need to add subdivision to the wall extrusion node, so it will have enough vertices to bend into a smooth ring.

The circle node has a circumference output value. You can use this value to help figure out the length of your wall shape.

syscrusher, roryo and neoshaman like this.
  44. Ruufer

Ruufer

Excellent - I will try just that and report back. thank you,

45. Ruufer

Ruufer

thank you, this method was successful.

upload_2019-11-7_21-24-28.png

roryo, AwesomeNewbie, led_bet and 3 others like this.
  46. Banksy

Banksy

Hi... Newbie Q.
    How can I access runTimeHandles in the Game View ?
    I need the player to be able to pulls handles about. ( not only in Unity's Scene view)

47. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

On the specific node, swing open HANDLES
    click on the existing scene handle and toggle RUNTIME
    Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 7.17.09 AM.png

48. Banksy

Banksy

Hi I've clicked the "runtime" check box on a node.... but still nothing viewable in the game view.
    Are there any examples where at runtime in game view we actually see an exposed handle for editing ?

runtime.JPG

49. christougher

christougher

50. Banksy

Banksy

That video is super helpful… thx heaps