Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ARCHIMATIX PRO Node-based Parametric Modeling for Unity [Unity Awards Finalist]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by roryo, Jun 4, 2015.

1. roryo

roryo

Ah - you're right. The floats propagate from the set command, but the ints do not. On my way over to the code to add that now... ;)

wetcircuit and EnriquePage91 like this.
  2. EnriquePage91

EnriquePage91

omg what a life-saver to know this is actually intended though. I know what that is like, I've got my generic systems which still have some functionality only available to certain data types... heheh.

Thank you so much, I'm glad it will be sorted! I will work on something else for the moment and switch to using a float on the meanwhile.

Now, about that window system.. WOW it's looking amazing! Can't wait to mess with it. I am curious about it and will try to build my own to see how far I can get, since I'm already halfway through it... but this is looking pretty sweet, can't wait for the actual node!

Congrats on the software, I can't help but praise it given that I'm already building incredible things while only having used it for less than 5 days. Naturally having worked with Houdini and other node based software has helped me a lot, but I still think it speaks enormously to the intuitiveness of the UX/UI/Paradigms.

I've been playing a little bit more with the scene view editing features and I can say they feel so smooth and intuitive. I am officially looking forward into customizing my assets to implement as much of this system as possible in the future - it almost makes me feel like a "God" handling the look of the assets in this way, and I can see how they could enhance creativity a lot lol. Even those milliseconds between moving the cursor from the scene view to the inspector view count when you're changing lots of values and constantly rotating the camera to get different perspectives on your subject! I don't think I would have noticed that if it wasn't because of this feature.

creativity and efficiency at 100% thanks to your product, congrats!

wetcircuit likes this.
  3. roryo

roryo

Ok - ints are propagating from the set command now. :)

EnriquePage91 likes this.
  4. EnriquePage91

EnriquePage91

Can't wait for that update then! For the moment everything works fine by simply switching the int to a float!

Thanks a gain Roryo!

5. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Update is live! YIPPEE!

:oops: Ooh! lot's of fixes for 2018.3… :D

6. awesomedata

awesomedata

@roryo -- quick question:

With Winwall, if one decides to make it along a curvy spline, will the wall follow to the very end of the 2d spline shape?

I ask because, when using deformers, it can tug the mesh start and end points if they are along a curve. Is there any way to make AX anchor the end verts in the mesher to the endpoints of a 2d shape? Seems like this behavior would be vital with Winwall, right?

7. roryo

roryo

WinWall "extrudes" a thickened plan from start to end. It is more like PlanSweep+PlanRepeater than PlanDeformer.

WinWall2.gif

However, in its first version it will not create window openings on curved parts of walls, but it will eventually:

WinWall3.gif

This WinWall version show here is in AX 1.2.1 that hit the store today. It pre-beta, so please don't use it in production. You can't choose or manipulate the windows yet and there is still a glitch where the frames are not always lining up with the openings.

photonic, awesomedata and sjm-tech like this.
  8. christougher

christougher

How might one write an expression for a runtime handle for a freecurve point? Thx!

Also, minor bug. If you delete a node with a runtime handle enabled the handle object is not removed from the AXModel. Thx!

9. awesomedata

awesomedata

So far, Winwall is looking nice. :)

This is excellent news, though do you have a timeframe when you'll get modifiable windows on curved geometry?

One other question:

Is there any easy way to export the geometry generated by "Plan Shapes" so that quickly-generated AX geometry can be used in-tandem (more-easily) with Probuilder?
    (i.e. I'm thinking generating base geometry for floors/roofs/walls faster so poly modeling tools can be more quickly applied for special-case geometry...)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  10. ArneStudio

ArneStudio

Hello experts, It's been a while since I last posted a question, a good sign that Archimatix has been behaving it's self. I'm interested if any of you have a recommendation for moving Archimatix geometry across projects. I have uses for both 'fixed' meshes which wont need further modification and meshes which retain full parametric modelling history and capability. When I try the later of these I'm getting this error message.

DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path "C:\Users\.............\Archimatix\Library\data.json".

I'm trying to find such a file in the original home of he Archimatix model but I don't see it there.

Any suggestions are welcome.
    Thanks

11. roryo

roryo

Hi @
    Hi @christougher - right now the easiest way to modify FreeCurve control points in runtime is to add parameters for the x and/or y-values of the points to the FreeCurve node and then in the point list, he create a handle, let it control those parameters and set the handle to runtime.

Capto_Capture 2019-02-27_05-49-48_PM.jpg

RuntimeFreeCurve.gif

You would repeat this for each point on the curve.

If you want the player to be able to fully author a FreeCurve at runtime, adding and deleting points, then you would have to implement this in your game code by adding parameters to the node at runtime and setting the control point fields to those parameter names.

Thanks for the not about handle deletion!

photonic and christougher like this.
  12. roryo

roryo

Window openings on a curved geometry should not be too hard, but the curved window frames with mullions, etc, will be a bit trickier. But first is to get window shapes and editing in there. Still shooting for April for version 1.

To edit in ProBuilder, you can Stamp your model and then in ProBuilder, select ProBuilderize it. This would make a great tutorial. I am not that versed in ProBuilder yet. Are there any AXers who are also ProBuilders out there?

13. roryo

roryo

Hi @ArneStudio - welcome back!

If the data.json file is missing, you can just reinstall AX in the project. That file is a short list of categories for sorting.

BTW, the easiest way to take an AXModel into another project is to make sure the whole node graph is in one Grouper called something like myModel and then save the Grouper as a Library item. Then copy the myModel.axobj and myModel.jpg files for that library item into the new Project anywhere in the assets folder.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    ArneStudio likes this.
  14. photonic

photonic

Hi @roryo,

thank you for the recent update!!

TwistDeformer (amongst other fixes) now has the correct normals .. awesome!
    upload_2019-3-4_11-26-7.png

Unfortunately there seems to be a problem now with the grid in v1.2.1.
    After changing the resolution the grid is not refreshed. I've tried the latest version of 2018.2 and 2018.3
    upload_2019-3-4_10-56-13.png
    Do you have a workaround until the next update?

I have another question: Is it possible to change the general Physics-Collider settings to none or box without going through every single node? Mesh colliders are quite expensive and it would be great to selectively turn them on (not off). At least the "convex" mesh collider would be cheaper but I only found the "isTrigger" option .

Anyway, I love Archimatix .. keep up the good work!
    Cheers

15. roryo

roryo

Hi - @photonic - Thanks for reporting the grid snap bug: its fixed!

Also, to the ModelInspector, I just added an option menu for Default Collider Type. Any 3D node created from the righthand sidebar node menu will have get a Collider with of the default collider type for that model (including "None").
    If you check the Override Colliders in Library Items, then when instantiating a LibraryItem, the top-level Collider that was saved with it will be replaced by a Collider of the model's default type.

Capto_Capture 2019-03-04_12-36-04_PM.jpg

If you want early access to this new feature, PM me with your assetstore invoice id and your email so I can send you an invite to the slack where you can download the latest build.

wetcircuit and photonic like this.
  16. photonic

photonic

WOW .. that was lightning fast!! Leaves me speechless. All thumbs up! :D:D:D
    PM is underway ..

roryo likes this.
  17. anton88pro

anton88pro

Hi,
    Archimatix is lugging so hard.
    I tried it with 2018.3.8f1, 2018.3.0b3 and 2018.2.8f1. After some tweaking, I've found that the issue is me using Unity parameter "project setting" - "player" - "scripting runtime version: .NET 4.0". The issue doesn't happen with NET 3.5
    I think, I could use NET 4.0 with older version of Archimatix.
    The issues include: can't see flow chart when clicking on Archimatix model, a lot of red errors, model parts are not responsive. Screenshot is attached.
    Please help.
    Снимок экрана (780).png

18. roryo

roryo

Hi @anton88pro, this is due to a bug in Unity 2018 that seems to affect AX on Windows (not mac) machines that have region not set to US. It is the highest priority for me at the moment and I hope to have a fix in the next day or so. In the meantime, a workaround seems to be to set you region to US and language to English.

anton88pro likes this.
  19. roryo

roryo

Ok - I think we've got a solution! Hope to post it to the asset store in the next day or so. :)

anton88pro and wetcircuit like this.
  20. anton88pro

anton88pro

Thank you for quick fixes and responses. Appreciated!

21. roryo

roryo

AX v. 1.2.2 with the fix for the 2018.3 .Net 4.0 with system set to language other than English incompatibility has just been submitted to the Asset Store! AX versions are usually approved within 24 hours. :)

22. anton88pro

anton88pro

It's working now with .NET 4.0 Thank you for you work!!

However, I also have a new question.
    I was following a tutorial about rooftops (link btw I wish there were more tutorials like this!) and I got a lot of frustration and not with the instruction but AX itself. Like sometimes I don't understand AX logic.
    For example, here's two screenshots (and I could give more examples, if needed)
    Снимок экрана (796).png
    Снимок экрана (797).png
    The only difference, it's one number in "segs" parameter under geometry section of the shape(38 and 39), and it makes such a visual impact. And with segs of the shape from 54 to 58 and from 60 to 64, the floor is not visible at all. And btw the floor can be created with checking the "Top Cap" or "Bottom Cap" of Lathe, the result is basically the same. I don't understand why. Even more, I could not make "the floor" visible from outside the shape, no matter what I toggled or changed (or at least I think I toggled everything, there is so many parameters in AX, which both good and bad to me).
    My question is: is AX math that sensitive? is it how AX logic works? if yes, then hopefully I can get used to it by time.
    I can make AX work for me and it's fun! But I also want to understand it.

P.S.: I've tried to recreate "segs" with value 39, and now the so-called floor disappears, even so, according to screenshot, everything else is the same. I can't recreate my own issue. I'm sorry, I'm just confused.

23. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Hi, I wrote the tutorial so thank you for the feedback.:)

I think I understand what you are experiencing (forgive me if I get it wrong). You are saying at some setting a facet will disappear for no reason, and you can toggle between adjacent numbers to make the facet appear/disappear…. I chalk this up to float rounding errors when the numbers are converted between human-readable numbers and machine numbers that continue long past the decimal, then convert back. AX can calculate to ridiculously small decimal points (millionths of a centimeter – something that cannot even be visible in your scene), but your computer (and Unity) can go waaaay smaller than that...

Often I can "workaround" the issue by changing a float from "23" to "23.01". That particular control (SEGS) can't do anything but Ints (whole numbers) so there is probably another parameter where you could add .01 to change the rounding error in your favor. Not always convenient and it's fiddly. The "real fix" might be to alter the underlying logic code as discussed in this Unity Answer (not specific to AX, just a good discussion of the problem): https://answers.unity.com/questions/1546524/rounding-issue.html

Your second issue with whether or not a 3D mesh has the faces you need: rather than fight the nodes, it's probably easier to add the missing part with another node(s) and relate the parameters so the "fix" will follow your main shape. If it feels like a bug, see if you can get it to show in a very simple scene (1 AX-model in an empty scene) and send it to Rory so he can try to track it down….

I think, unfortunately, when making procedural meshes like AX, there are going to be some instances where the underlying math goes awry. There may be several ways to workaround the issue by modifying the node or the relations:
    ...a robust fix might be specific to how you are combining the nodes – the issue might only show up at the exact spot where you want the settings.:rolleyes: I don't want to overwhelm you with fixes you aren't ready for yet, but you are not crazy. It happens. Fixing it is the equivalent of adding extra lines to your code to catch specific problems. It will get easier to recognize and isolate these rounding errors, but the "fix" may require some extra spaghetti nodes, or a bit of logic expressions inserted to prevent that specific problem from occurring.

:cool: Keep at it! The nodes that come with AX are not the final word. Eventually you will modify nodes for specific uses in your graph, and even create new nodes to deal with specific problems. Try not to get frustrated or feel like there is no path forward – there are many ways to accomplish the same end. Do the easiest workaround in the moment (add .01), but like with all "code" there is usually a way to create "logic traps" and "conditional checks" once you know a little more.

Eva-Dragonflame and anton88pro like this.
  24. anton88pro

anton88pro

Thank you wetcircuit for good advises and kind words :) I'll take a look at those links, seems interesting.

wetcircuit likes this.
  25. jeijei

jeijei

just bought it and i'm having a fair bit of fun
    one problem i have is that when baking a lightmap with a stamped copy, the results are far from ideal, presumably because of overlapping uvs
    the solution so far is to export the model with probuilder as an obj, generate lightmap uvs and use that model instead of the stamped one, and then the lightmapping actually looks correct
    any chance we can at least get an option to export the model to circumvent going through more tools?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  26. roryo

roryo

Hi @jeijei - welcome aboard!

Have you tried generating secondary lightmap UV's in Archimatix? Hopefully this manual page can help.

wetcircuit likes this.
  27. jeijei

jeijei

ah, i missed those. now it works
    edit: actually after testing a bit more, the baked lights i get when i bake a lightmap the normal way are still barely visible, while with the exported probuilder model it looks as it should. i'm not entirely sure if the option to generate lightmap uvs from the script works correctly. that or my building is somehow wrong

examples: first image is what i get after stamping an archimatrix building, next one is after exporting it with probuilder. first one has two lights and is still less lit than the next one at the same range/intensity

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  28. jeijei

jeijei

actually, here's an actually good example. one is stamped, with generate secondary uvs ticked in archimatrix, the other is probuilder exported

Attached Files:

29. awesomedata

awesomedata

@jeijei -- it could be helpful to mention what version of the Unity editor you're using.
    Each version is kinda like a tossed-salad made by a seizure victim these days. You might have _most_ of your salad, but some probably hit the floor or worse.

EDIT -- Using my phone. If the version info is there in the image, my bad.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  30. jeijei

jeijei

2018.3.0f2, it's visible in the images i posted. archimatrix is the latest store version, 1.2.2 i think

31. roryo

roryo

Just to clarify, the desired effect is that the exterior is darker as it is in the ProBuilder version, correct?

32. roryo

roryo

There is a tricky thing about that Create SecondaryUV's checkbox. After a new "build" of the AX model, you will notice it gets unchecked. This is because the secondary UVs are not generated every time the model is generated, since it is pretty cpu intensive. SO just before baking lighting or stamping, you need to check it again.

I also just noticed a bug - the Stamped model is not automatically set to the same static flags, so in the meantime after stamping, you need to rest the static flags for the stamped model.

By checking "Create Secondary UVs" and then Stamping and resting the static flags on the stamp, I got this result in Unity 2018.3:

Capto_Capture 2019-03-17_07-03-32_PM2.jpg

syscrusher likes this.
  33. jeijei

jeijei

not necessarily, other times a very bright light i have is less bright in the broken case - i posted earlier, one of the buildings has a blue light that's pretty much not noticable at all
    in any case, i tried ticking generate seconadary uvs and stamping right after that, and after lowering the material metallic value it seems to work fine

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  34. roryo

roryo

Also, don’t forget to reset the static flags of the stamped model

35. syscrusher

syscrusher

Apart from the use of Archimatix for a stunning environmental design (and your post FX and lighting are wonderful!), I have to say that I just love, love, love this creature (or robot?) model.

protopop likes this.
  36. syscrusher

syscrusher

@roryo I've been away from my AX work for a bit due to some other Unity and non-Unity things (among which, I passed the Unity Certified Programmer exam recently). I'm about to return to some AX work -- as part of my day job now, hooray! -- and was wanting to check in on the LOD Group project. If you needed me to be an early tester of that, I was already planning to rig up a "scratch" project and import a copy of some of my existing AX models with the specific goal of figuring out how I want to manage the whole LOD thing in my real projects. It'll be a new and throwaway empty project in Unity 2018.3, so I could safely test whatever you needed me to test. I also have several of the Asset Store LOD generation tools including the beta of Amplify Imposters that I was thinking of trying with AX.

The goal of this test project is -- literally -- just to figure out what workflow I want to use and then document it for myself. So if things go off the rails, no "real" project work is lost.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  37. syscrusher

syscrusher

Since @wetcircuit has already attacked your original question, I'll set that aside for a moment and offer a related bit of advice from my own AX work, simply because I noticed you're making something visually similar to what I made a few months ago.

Archimatix is perfectly capable of making one object, such as your dome, of enormous size. I had one in my scene that was about 400 meters in diameter. But you may not want to do that for performance reasons.

What I found with the single large object was that occlusion culling wasn't very helpful with huge objects like that, because there was almost no camera view in the scene in which at least some part of that dome wasn't visible. By breaking it down into 8 sectors (wedges), and using support arches at the boundaries to hide the seams, I gave the occlusion culling more to work with, and this improved the performance of my render.

Also -- and this may not be an issue for you -- my dome was transparent (a plexiglass-like dome over a space habitat), and what I found was that at a distance, the difference between the facing surface and the opposite surface was small enough that roundoff error caused shader artifacts. Transparency, reflection, and refraction weren't working quite right, and there was noticeable "popping" of these properties as the camera moved. Breaking the dome into sectors fixed this as well, because now each segment was small enough not to encounter the rounding errors between its surfaces. Basically a sector on the near side of the dome renders correctly, and a sector on the far side of the dome is (1) behind a near one, and (2) far enough away that the subtle shader properties don't try to render.

It's visually clean if the object is too far away to reflect and refract, and it's visually clean if it's close enough to do those things properly. With the one enormous object, Unity was trying to do both of those things at once on a single mesh, and it was bouncing between the extremes quite intrusively.

By breaking your circular object into sectors, you can also effectively increase the segment count for the whole circumference, because you can now set 64 segments per sector. This will make your mesh look really nice at large size.

38. protopop

protopop

Thanks so much:) I built the robot in blender (although I bet I could use AX for that too:) - it’s a Titanic SteelSkrall, and it roams the halls of The Underdam, ooooooooo... :)

Archimatix is so useful I find myself using it for more and more things. I have to test the real-time use next - I would love a way to build a house real-time if it works on mobile.

syscrusher likes this.
  39. Nevercallmebyname

Nevercallmebyname

Any word on if this is possible yet?

40. photonic

photonic

Hi @roryo,
    is there a way to expose curve points (X or Y value) as parameters?
    e.g. this would be helpful if I wanted to align a roof to the section height of a PlanSweep.
    Cheers

41. awesomedata

awesomedata

The word is almost definitively a "no" right now.

We're still waiting on WinWall (a feature @roryo imagined-up himself). I doubt the lofting feature is in the works right now, considering it needs to work with consecutive Freecurves (which could require some major rewriting). It would be handy, though I think he intends us to use deformers for now.

I asked for this like two years ago? -- We finally got basic x,y parametrics this year, but I'm not aware of any way to affect the curves of a freecurve parametrically yet. We sorely need this too. :(

42. roryo

roryo

Hi @photonic - you can create regular parameters and reference them in the x and y fields of the FreeCurve point list. Once you relate the regular parameters to intern nodes, the FreeCurve points will move according to those relations.

In this example, I created a parameter called X1 and then referenced it in the x-value of point 2. Then I relate X1 to the TransX of the red box:

FreeCurveRelation.gif

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    photonic, wetcircuit and syscrusher like this.
  43. roryo

roryo

Working on FreeCurve3D ;)

Capto_Capture 2019-03-26_06-14-32_PM.jpg

44. jeijei

jeijei

is there any option for random meshes/shapes? the channeler kind of seems like it could support that
    my idea was to have a building with apartments repeated along a rectangle for each floor, except that each apartment could differences

edit: actually nevermind, i can get the channeler to spit out a random channel, but every node that might want to repeat that result will only get the mesh once, having random meshes is more of a hassle than i thought

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    Flurgle likes this.
  45. awesomedata

awesomedata

Wondering how this is going to work... -- isn't FreeCurve describing a 2D shape?

Also -- WinWall.

Just saying... <__<

46. roryo

roryo

FreeCurve manipulates a 2D Shape, while FreeCurve3D operates on a Curve3D - a new data type.

There will be different ways to interpolate the 3D control points - Linear, 3D Bezier, CatMull-Roma and Piping. In the following gif, the interpolation is set to Piping which means it rounds the corners according to a supplied radius.

FreeCurve3D Adjusting.gif

This FreeCurve3D node will then be fed into a Mesher to skin it with a Shape section or into a new Repeater which will distribute objects along a Curve 3D.

47. syscrusher

syscrusher

This looks awesome. It has some of the functionality of Curvy, a procedural spline asset that I adore. Curvy can also move GameObjects along its splines in very flexible ways.

I can easily envision some sort of edit-time integration between the two, where a C# script automatically places Curvy control points at the control points of an Archimatix FreeCurve3D. This would combine the versatility of AX for visible geometry and the movement control of Curvy for an object along the path.

roryo likes this.
  48. Nevercallmebyname

Nevercallmebyname

this will help out all those people who were trying and failing to make bent pipe structures in Archimatix.

Fortunately this is just a feature I think will be fun to mess with and not one I actually need. I can do my entire project without it.

oh also, Roryo, I'm planing to finally buy Archimatix for myself for Christmas and finally start work on these big projects I've been talking about.

awesomedata and roryo like this.
  49. roryo

roryo

@Nevercallmebyname - you have posted so frequently here, I thought you had already gotten a copy of AX! Thanks so much for your continued interest. :)

So, it sounds like I have a Christmas deadline to get the bridge tool done!

50. Nevercallmebyname

Nevercallmebyname

I have to show my support and love for this amazing thing somehow.