Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

ARCHIMATIX PRO Node-based Parametric Modeling for Unity [Unity Awards Finalist]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by roryo, Jun 4, 2015.

1. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Thanks for all of these custom nodes. What version of Unity are you using?

2. ibyte

ibyte

Damn, always late to the party!

roryo likes this.
  3. RuinsOfFeyrin

RuinsOfFeyrin

Heya longroadhwy,
    Im using the 5.5.0f3 version of unity.

4. roryo

roryo

The update of Archimatix due out this week adds a "Segs" parameter to control the vertical segmentation of an Extruder. This will be help satisfy Robot Kyle's incessant urges to deform Cylinders!

Archimatix 2017-05-08_01-02-16_PM.jpg

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    Sheriziya, radimoto, punk and 6 others like this.
  5. KWaldt

KWaldt

Hello there!

I have a question.
    I absolutely love the parametric bookshelves! Would it be possible to dynamically fill them with books too?
    Basically, spawning from a list of GameObjects, following an input curve, and keeping the right distance (by using the bounding box, I guess). Or is something like this outside of Archimatix capacities because it's more like a modeller and less like a spawner?

Best Regards,
    Kristina

Sheriziya likes this.
  6. roryo

roryo

Hi Kristina, nice to see you again! A way to stack books now would be to make a set of books with different shapes and colors in a Grouper, then feed this assortment into a LinearRepeater whose length is related to the size of the bookcase. If the assortment of books in the Grouper had 6 or 7 books, then the repeating pattern may not be obvious (like a tiled texture).

A new node called Channeler is done. Once the Repeaters are given a bit more smarts, they will be able to select from the items listed in the Channeler randomly or according to a string-based rule set such as "abacaba." This will hopefully be in version 1.0.5 due in a couple of weeks.;)

Sheriziya, radimoto and wetcircuit like this.
  7. roryo

roryo

Though it may not look like much yet, who can guess what big thing this is the beginning of?

Runtime 1.gif

8. RuinsOfFeyrin

RuinsOfFeyrin

@roryo I am liking what I see!!!!
    -----Edit I wasnt looking close enough ----

Is that runtime?!!!?

9. roryo

roryo

It is indeed!

Sheriziya and chiapet1021 like this.
  10. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Amazing ... so is the runtime feature coming in the 1.0.5 release?

11. phoenixian

phoenixian

is there a node or method that allows the modification of a specific vertex or triangle? for 'detail' editing?

I wonder if this can be done without needing to depend on another tool like probuilder

12. roryo

roryo

More likely 1.0.6, but should be in the next couple of weeks. ;)

13. roryo

roryo

Hi @phoenixian - there is not such a node currently. If we were to have one, I suppose there could be a sort of "History" node that would record brush movements and reapply them after a regeneration. The question is, would the brush act on say the 3rd vertex or within a zone? Perhaps this could be a choice. For the former, the challenge is that as you change detail level like the number of segments in a curve or a bevel, there is no guarantee that an analogous vertex will be there after regeneration. The most assured way to maintain autographical edits on verts or polys is to freeze the model and never regenerate after autographical brush work.

As Deformer nodes come online, I think we will have the ability to modify meshes idiosyncratically. While not as much control as moving a vertex a bit to a specific point in space, Deformers will allow you to customize the meshes quite a bit.

Here is a VertexDeformer at work on the output of a LinearRepeater:
    Archimatix 2017-05-11_06-25-03_PM.jpg

Sheriziya, radimoto, punk and 5 others like this.
  14. phoenixian

phoenixian

I only want to move a certain selected vertex or triangle. I would be happy if I never regenerated the model again after moving a vertex or triangle, or if changing the detail level distorted or erased my vertex/triangle modifications.

Or, how about this - the theoretical vertex/triangle modifier node itself would have a toggle option to 'lock' the assigned node or set of nodes & they all show a 'disabled' state ? I'm thinking along the lines of how modifier stacks work in 3d modelling programs.

15. phoenixian

phoenixian

Also, if the user makes a detail level change anywhere in the set & a vertex/triangle modifier node exists in the set, the user could be prompted with a warning dialogue that the vert/triangles modifications could/would be lost. similar to how they do it with modifier stacks

16. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

:eek: FLINTSTONES!

movra, punk and roryo like this.
  17. roryo

roryo

This is a good idea. And it would certainly be possible to freeze parts of an AX graph. However, vertex and polygon editing tools would require their own development effort, since they are in a very different domain from parametric tools. Since Probuilder has been working on frozen mesh editing tools for 4+years, I am not sure AX could compete with their toolset, not to mention the fact that there are so many amazing nodes in the AX roadmap still to be realized!

Xx-Dr-Pepper-xX likes this.
  18. phoenixian

phoenixian

the reason I am wanting a vertex/triangle edit node is because I am hoping to use archimatix as a runtime editing tool in my game. I would like archimatix to be the single framework and data format. probuilder has a far more elaborate feature set than I need & wasnt designed for run time editing - all i want to do is move some vertexs and tris, maybe rotate and scale tris, nothing more.

i imagine that it would be a node displaying one to three sets of xyz coordinate fields for any currently selected and highlighted vert/tri associated with the node, and a simple selection/modification gizmo. all the previously modified vertices and triangles associated with the node are highlighted (a different color from current selection) when the node is selected, so that the user can identify which ones have been modified by the node.

19. phoenixian

phoenixian

Is the source avail for writing my own node?

20. roryo

roryo

Interesting! What kinds of things will your players be modeling?

Yes - you can extend nodes. The documentation has just gotten started on this and there is a custom node template available.

The first incarnation of Runtime Archimatix, due out at the end of this month, will allow a model rigged up in the editor to be controllable from runtime GUI (as in the GIF above). In addition to connecting model parameters to Unity UI elements, you're welcome to create your own runtime scene handles or use a runtime scene handle package from the asset store. Eventually AX will have some basic runtime handles included. There is also a rumor that Unity may release runtime handles at some point. But for this first iteration of runtime, all the node rigging will go on in the editor, with the ability to offer runtime GUI to your players to control the model.

Eventually we will have some ability to create models from AX operations, where the node graph is constructed silently in the background. For example, if you create a cylinder, you could call a menu item to repeat it and another to deform it, while the graph is assembled in the background. Also, some relation building may be done in scene view by snapping handles together, etc. The graph editor window is done completely with editor GUI, so a runtime node graph editor is not currently in the road map.

wetcircuit and phoenixian like this.
  21. phoenixian

phoenixian

Game level editor. Modular level components with simple parameter adjustment ui (like your gif animation) at first.

roryo likes this.
  22. roryo

roryo

Robot Kyle's not totally convinced by the crazy fenestration pattern, but he is thinking that, given enough time, it will grow on him.

Archimatix 2017-05-13_06-32-03_PM.jpg

Archimatix 2017-05-13_06-33-12_PM.jpg

Archimatix 2017-05-13_06-33-52_PM.jpg

Starting to ruminate on the workflow for a new node called WinWall.

23. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

It looks like it could be a good climbing wall for Kyle. :)

It seems like if you made some adjustments you can make useful for cliffs that you see around the ocean. Actually I think it might be useful for something like an offshore oil drilling platform.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_platform#/media/File:Oil_platform_P-51_(Brazil).jpg

roryo likes this.
  24. protopop

protopop

If you could see my face, my eyebrows keep raising themselves super high with everything i read here

Im using Achimatix to build homes for a new game, and a deformer will be amazing to give it the "mess" im looking for. Im from the "Fable" school of game design - no straight edges:)

Thanks for all of this and please keep it up - you're really empowering people - that must feel really good.

Sheriziya and roryo like this.
  25. yoonack

yoonack

I can't get the free curve node working. Do you mind showing some tutorial on it? Thanks

26. phoenixian

phoenixian

Is it possible to generate mesh data files (*.obj, etc) from an Archimatix node graph file independently of Unity?

I plan to have the stage maps of my client/server multiplayer game represented exclusively with Archimatix nodes. Players will be able to create their own maps (constructed from modules of Archimatix nodes as explained earlier) and upload their creation to the server to play with others. The server is authoritative & needs to perform collision checking of all players, which means the server would need to know the actual mesh data that is generated from the node graph.

Initially, I figured the mesh data could be generated by the Unity client and uploaded to the server, but then I realized this method would open the server side collision detection to hacks - the mesh data could be edited to add hidden shortcuts and other cheats. So the mesh data files would need to be generated on the server when the client feeds it a node graph. My server is a custom server written in c++ & independent of Unity. Is it possible to feed it a json file and have it spit out mesh data files?

27. roryo

roryo

@Enoch - I finally got around to fixing this bug! DifferenceRail is no consistent in the direction of the resulting segments. Will post to the slack. This will be publicly available in 1.0.5 due out early next week. ;)

28. roryo

roryo

29. roryo

roryo

Great question, @phoenixian! AX is written in C# and depends heavily on the UnityEngine library, so I don't think we will have server-side AX for some time. Could you freeze the Meshes in AX and export them to your server setup with custom C++ checking for collisions?

30. kerrmedia

kerrmedia

Just downloaded the latest version, got a "access of invalid memory" error when opening one of the demo scenes which shut Unity3D down.

Anyway, I'm sure this question gets asked this a lot, but what version of Unity3D do you think is stable for things like Archimatix? I have not upgraded Unity3D in a while.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  31. roryo

roryo

Hi @kerrmedia - can you tell me why version of Unity you are running? Also, can you remember which scene it was?

Thanks!

32. kerrmedia

kerrmedia

Arch_error.jpg 5.4.3f1
    Lighthouse base which shows up with nothing in the viewport, invisible items apparently in the Hierarchy list. odd.
    Here is a screen shot.

33. roryo

roryo

Thanks - it appears I resaved that scene in Unity 5.6 by mistake, so it won't open in earlier versions. I will make a new scene with LighthouseBase saved in 5.3.4 for the next update. In the meantime, you can open the LightHouse base from the lefthand 3D Library sidebar. ;)

pixelsteam likes this.
  34. kerrmedia

kerrmedia

Great, with all the things that could go wrong, that would be the one I would want, thank you!

roryo likes this.
  35. roryo

roryo

Starting to work through how Archimatix 2D will be able to automatically create sprites with PolygonCollider2D...

AX2d 2.gif

Here the reddish-brown obstacles are the result of Shape Merging.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    Sheriziya, punk, MasoInar and 2 others like this.
  36. CommunityUS

CommunityUS

waiting for runtime, fun tool to learn in meantime, but the real advantage is in runtime ability esp. if can do on low resource machines like mobile. Save on app size, and loads of fun if we build a in game editor for it. any chance we will see runtime this year with current sales?

37. RuinsOfFeyrin

RuinsOfFeyrin

Hey Folks,

So I wanted to test out the logic nodes i have developed in run-time, which is where they really shine since you can drastically alter an AX model with a few parameter changes, so I whipped together a small set of extension to make altering an AXModel's parameters at run-time a bit more use-friendly. Im sure its not as grand as what rory is cooking up, but for those of you who are like me and want to play with things ahead of time, this is a good start.

Currently the code only allows you to alter boolean, integer, and float parameters on nodes, but this alone is enough to give you some good flexibility on your AXModels at run-time.

AX_Runtime_FullPreview.png
    AX_Runtime_example2.png
    AX_Runtime_example3.png

As you can see in the second and third image I'm making use of the Merger3D and MeshSwitcher Nodes i posted above being feed in to a standard grid repeater and I am able to switch which type of tower is being displayed at runtime.

You can also find the source code at https://bitbucket.org/630Studios/ax_runtime

A demo scene is included in the unity package as well as a demo script showing you how to make it all work. Hope you all like it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Sheriziya, movra, roryo and 2 others like this.
  38. roryo

roryo

Hi @productofself - the first wave of Archimatix runtime is just a couple weeks away!

Sheriziya and Teila like this.
  39. C_p_H

C_p_H

Runtime support is so exciting, glad I purchased Archimatix.

Sheriziya and Teila like this.
  40. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

I've been drooling over this asset for a little while now (and d'oh, missed the sale window), and I've got a question. In a post in the first couple pages there was mention of .obj export being planned either for the initial release or immediately after, but in skimming recent pages it sounds as if there is currently no object or fbx export? Is that the case, and if so are there any workarounds or options? Ideally, I would like to create objects in Archimatix, and then send them to Substance Painter for PBR painting.

41. C_p_H

C_p_H

I use the Collada Exporter v1.6.2, it works great so I'm confident other exporters on the Unity Asset Store may also work.

Sheriziya likes this.
  42. MasoInar

MasoInar

Hey, I've been using this: https://github.com/KellanHiggins/UnityFBXExporter

43. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

Thank you both very much!

44. RuinsOfFeyrin

RuinsOfFeyrin

I was hoping to hear a bit more about this WinWall node and what all it does as the screenshots look interesting!

45. RuinsOfFeyrin

RuinsOfFeyrin

Hey Folks,

Got another little gem for my fellow AX Users.
    Its an alternate Toolbar window for AX library items and nodes. It allows you to filter and search the your current library items/ nodes. While it is nice now (especially for those of us with LOTs of shapes or nodes), it will be extra useful when the ability to toggle on and off the built-in sidebars is added (its on the developer hot list).

I also have plans to integrate previewing, downloading, and uploading shapes and library items from the web.
    Toolbar_overview.png

Instructions:
    Place the AX_ToolbarWindow.cs file in a folder called Editor somewhere in your project.

You can access the new toolbar via Window->Archimatix ->Toolbar Window

The Archimatix Graph Window has to already be opened at-least once per session before you open the toolbar as the Graph opening is what loads all the nodes/shapes/etc which the toolbar needs to access.

Attached Files:

Sheriziya, red2blue, Hitch42 and 5 others like this.
  46. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

This is great. What version of Archimatrix does your tool work with?

It makes it more exciting to dig into the source code of Archimatix tool and this tool too.

(1) Could you add a version number to your tool in an about box or menu so we can keep track of the various versions you will be creating?

(2) With your plans for uploading shapes and library items to this library from other places (e.g. web) is there some type of validation that takes place to make sure an item is not corrupted before it gets added?

47. RuinsOfFeyrin

RuinsOfFeyrin

Hey @longroadhwy , thanks for the interest. I am fairly certain it should work with any version of Archimatix, though for certain it works with 1.0.4 and newer.

1) I most certainly could put a small "About" window that holds some details like the version and a few other tidbits.

2) Currently there is no validation in place for uploads and downloads. I initially was going to attempt to validate the JSON of the file being uploaded/downloaded but ran in to a small snag. Apparently when there is a grouper in the graph, the JSON is malformed and its not readable by either google chromes javascript implementation of JSON, or by PHP's version of JSON. This obviously does not affect AX at all as it seems to read in its own files just fine, but it prevents me from easily verify much of anything. I have left a post for rory about this on the slack channel, so I'm sure he is aware of it.

I had hoped to be able to verify it was a valid .axobj file on upload, as well as pull out the author and tag fields for indexing and searching, and then on searching I was hoping to be able to parse the list of nodes that an .axobj uses in order to verify that the end user had all the required nodes for a particular library item to work. However until the JSON is straightened out it would simply be to much of a time investment as I would have to write a parser in php that understood the malformed JSON objects..

48. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

2) Validation.

Was not sure where the validation took place. I thought anything that got included in your list of shapes/libs was already validated by Archimatix. So when you add the upload/download functionality shapes/nodes would be validated by Archimatix first before being included in your list for further processing. That way Archimatix always does the heavy lifting of validating shapes/libs and you just worry about the other parts of your tool.

49. RuinsOfFeyrin

RuinsOfFeyrin

The short answer is for security reasons for both the server, and the those who would download .axobj files its best if the server does the validation. A clever person could easily spoof a submission to the server with bad data and make the server think it was a valid submission from my tool if there was no server side validation. This could then end up getting downloaded by a user an messing up their graph. Plus there is a web page for submission which would make any sort of validation AX does not useable.

It is entirely possible to make an .axobj that Archimatix thinks is valid but causes issues when its actually loaded in to a graph, so being able to provide the validation server side can help eliminate all of these issues.

However, since I currently cant do that level of validation, I am going the route you are speaking about and trusting everyone to "play nice", and remind people to test out downloads in a new model first so they dont mess up something they have been working on.

50. funderburk5

funderburk5

Hello, I just bought AX and I'm having compiler errors. I'm very new to programming and wouldn't even know where to start with correcting this issue, so I would appreciate some help.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
unityunity