Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ARCHIMATIX PRO Node-based Parametric Modeling for Unity [Unity Awards Finalist]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by roryo, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Discord

Discord

I had missed it, but now I see it. ;)

2. roryo

roryo

Many thanks for your help with this, @Discord - we fixed it! Will be in the next Asset Store update for AX.

3. awesomedata

awesomedata

I hope that's the case. That's an hour earlier than me. Should be just enough time for the funds to post.

Thanks man. I hope I can grab it this time!

4. SuperNewbee

SuperNewbee

Hello

I am considering buying this asset on todays sale. Can anybody who already owns this asset tell me how many pages the manual is? Trying to get an idea on what the learning curve is for this.

5. punk

punk

I found it super easy, the graphs seem complex at first glance, but once you see how it works it's a breeze, take some time to have a look at some of the tutorials, once you get it i recommend going through the sky fortress demo and pausing/experimenting, took me a day of playing around and i was good to go

roryo and pixelsteam like this.
  6. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

The user manual (PDF) is 70 pages.

The website http://www.archimatix.com/ has some additional information. If you look in the tutorial section there are few video tutorials if you want to see what the workflow is like.

roryo likes this.
  7. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Architecture: Form, Space, and Order 4th Edition
    ISBN: 978-1118745083

Page 11, Salginatoble Bridge
    Page 17, Solarium of Condominium Unit 1, Sea Ranch
    Page 25, Hanger, Design 1
    Page 27, Fallingwater (Kaufmann House)
    Page 39, Roman Theater
    Page 53, Busan Cinema Center
    Page 117, The Acropolis
    Page 132, Bandung Institute of Technology
    Page 225, Bridge House
    Page 383, West Precinct, Horyu-Ji Temple

8. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Congrats on the Sale @roryo ...
    Here is one of my photographs from Quinta da Regaleira. It is called the Initiatic well. It goes down 37 meters into the ground. What would be your best approach to creating this with AX. Side note: will also be shooting this in 360 next week too...with a barbecue motor and pulley for the crane.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    punk, roryo and elbows like this.
  9. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

24 Sale ... I didn't resist ... bought! :);)

roryo and wetcircuit like this.
  10. andyz

andyz

This looks like fun software although a few too many example images look too abstract/simple rather than something you might use in an actual game so far and I would be worried about how to add variation to the texturing of large surfaces after modelling.

roryo likes this.
  11. roryo

roryo

Hi @andyz - good observation about the abstract nature of many of the examples thus far! I have tried to keep the models simple since many of the comments I have been getting along the way during development have been expressing worries about too many triangles. Perhaps due to the interest in VR/AR of late. In any case, parametric modeling can certainly generate lots of detail. That being said, AX is not the tool for very sculptural things like boulders of characters. For geometric/algorithmic forms that are dented or mangled, AX will have Subdivision, Deformer and Deteriorator nodes in the future that will help.

Another valid point you make is the integration with post-modeling texturing. Most of the examples here have been using just one or two Materials with tiled textures. This makes sense when you want to continually vary a form, since, if it is synced to an atlas, then the moment you modify the object, e.g., make the bookcase longer, the texture alignments would be off. Certainly, for those interested in runtime AX, when it is available, designing the objects to work with tiled textures may be key.

For well-crafted models that have PBR-painted textures that are very specific to the final form of the object, you can "freeze" an AX model and then unwrap it into 0-1 atlas space. Some 3D painting programs will help with this, but I would like to add an unwrap and repositioning tool to AX - a UV-space editor window. The focus here will be workflow and or integration with Surforge, Substance Painter or Quixel. Would be particularly great if we can get an integrated workflow with Surforge so that the pipeline is all in editor.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    JacobFalling, andyz, elbows and 3 others like this.
  12. roryo

roryo

Thanks, @sjm-tech and welcome aboard!

13. roryo

roryo

Thanks, @longroadhwy! tese will make for great library items!

14. roryo

roryo

Wowsa! Looks like a double helix! This will use StepRepeater for sure....

pixelsteam likes this.
  15. Filhanteraren

Filhanteraren

Hi, I just bought the asset and after importing I get the following errors:

"Assets/Archimatix/Scripts/Incorporated3rdPartyLibraries/poly2tri-cs-master/Properties/AssemblyInfo.cs(8,12): error CS0579: The attribute `System.Reflection.AssemblyTitleAttribute' cannot be applied multiple times"

And 11 more error of the same kind with different System.reflection stuff.
    `System.Reflection.AssemblyDescriptionAttribute'
    `System.Reflection.AssemblyProductAttribute'

Any help appreciated.

Edit:
    Only appears when imported into a project with other 3rd party asset so I guess it has something do to with that

16. PlatformSix

PlatformSix

Picked this up, was really sold on the lighthouse example due to the automatic rail generation. Unfortunately, I opened the lighthouse example up and it looks like the rail uprights don't align properly (image attached). Before I delve into learning Archimatix, I'm wondering if this is a limitation of the tool or a bug?

This is on AX v1.0.1, Unity 5.5.2p4, OSX 10.12.3.

Attached Files:

17. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

pixelsteam likes this.
  18. roryo

roryo

Hi @Filhanteraren - welcome aboard! Yes, you are right. The conflict is with another asset that is using the poly2tri library. Many modeling assets in the store use this. If you delete the folder Archimatix>Incorporated3rdPartyLibraries/poly2tri-cs-master, you should resolve the conflict.

19. daschatten

daschatten

Wow! Great asset! Damn 24h sales :p

How do the terrain fields in RadialRepeater and TerrainDeformer work? The manual is a bit blank in this areas :)

awesomedata and StaffanEk like this.
  20. roryo

roryo

Hi @PlatformSix - thanks for the feedback about being sold on the LighthouseBase example. It is really useful for me to understand which aspects of AX are useful/interesting to people to help guide future development.

Thanks for the screenshot - it looks like there is a bug where the PlanRepeater for the rail upright is cutting the rounded corner more closely that the PlanSweep for the rail itself, even though they are sharing the same source Shape. Looking into this! In the meantime, a workaround is to increase the "Inset" parameter of the rail's PlanRepeater. To do this, click on the any rail upright cylinder, hit the F-key to frame it in the scene view and the node graph window. click on the node that the cylinder connects to and increase the Inset parameter in the Inspector.

Archimatix 2017-04-05_09-50-44_AM.jpg

While I had the Cylinder selected, I also dragged the height down a littler to meet the center of the rail.

21. wholtaeter

wholtaeter

Hi - can someone show how to make a level like in Gradius V? Here is video from what I mean start at minute 9 pls.

22. wholtaeter

wholtaeter

23. roryo

roryo

Thanks @daschatten and welcome aboard!

As I was just making a quick example to demo this, I noticed that the RadialRepeater is ignoring its Terrain input at the moment! The GridRepeater behaving itself better. If you drag the Terrain from the hierarchy into the ObjectField for Terrain in the GridRepeater node, it displaces them to match the Terrain.

GridTerrain.gif Archimatix 2017-04-05_10-02-37_AM.jpg

Now to get that RadialRepeater to behave.... fix will be in the next update.

punk likes this.
  24. roryo

roryo

Hi @wholtaeter - The aesthetic Gradius V looks right up AX's alley. Before jumping into a specific project like this, If you haven't already, I would recommend going through the User's Manual PDF in the Documents folder first. It shouldn't take long and you will get a good overview of the possibilities. Also, I think a very relevant tutorial for this is the GrayShip video:

punk likes this.
  25. _MGB_

_MGB_

Substance Designer but for 3D geometry?! Couldn't resist!
    Also very interested in the runtime lib - I have lots of procedural stuff in the pipeline and hopefully this will fill the gaps!
    Mainly I have a grammar-based approach to define logical spatial sub-division - hope to plug this into AX somehow :D

roryo likes this.
  26. daschatten

daschatten

Yep, works! How does the TerrainDeformer work? Just getting strange results...

27. DGordon

DGordon

Any reason the graph seems to occasional scroll itself to (what I assume to be) its origin point? I played around for a couple of hours last night and a few times when I wanted to be working on a section of the graph it auto-scrolled itself back to where the graph started out. Its possible it happened because of something I did ... but I have no idea what, and its pretty annoying.

So far I'm pretty impressed. Going to show it off to a couple of guys in a different studio ... they're pretty interested too. Something like this seems like it will be super useful for small indie companies once the system is really comprehended ... keep it up :).

roryo likes this.
  28. DGordon

DGordon

I'll also add that the two different people from two different companies both had the same exact response: can this be used at runtime?!

wetcircuit likes this.
  29. Teila

Teila

I was told YES several times so hopefully that hasn't changed. :)

30. roryo

roryo

Scroll to origin is definitely a bug. I haven't isolated exactly when it happens. If anyone gets to the point where they can reproduce this consistently, please let me know!

Glad you are liking AX, @DGordon! AX has a unique approach to modeling which can take some time to get ones head around. But, be careful... once you get it, you can't go back! Hoping to have the first wave of runtime AX at the end of May ;-) There.., I said it! ;)

wetcircuit, _MGB_ and pixelsteam like this.
  31. roryo

roryo

TerrainDeformer is a new beta node, but it is not in the 1.0.0 release. Did the 1.0.1 update hit the store already?... Ha - I see it has! That was pretty fast.

The key for TerrainDeformer is that the mesh you input needs to be well subdivided. Soon you will be able to subdivided source Shapes, and thus the splines they generate. For now, try a FreeCurve and make the control points Bezier. The Freed that into a PlanSweep and feed the output of the PlanSweep into a TerrainDeformer. If you use a FortressShape as the section in the TerrainDeformer, you should get something like this: TerrainDeformer.gif

32. daschatten

daschatten

Yep, i have 1.0.1 installed!

33. roryo

roryo

That's great. That update was submitted to the store on Friday, so the turned it around quickly. Submitting a new update soon. :)

I just edited the above post with an example gif of TerrainDeformer.

34. roryo

roryo

Thanks, @_MGB_! Welcome aboard!

35. roryo

roryo

36. brisingre

brisingre

Oh no, I missed the sale! :(

I put it in my cart last night, fell asleep, and then when I went to check out this morning it had ended a couple hours earlier. My own fault for dragging my feet, I guess.

37. awesomedata

awesomedata

:'(

I guess I've gotta give up on Archimatix for now.

It looks like the asset store gods don't want me to partake in the awesomeness that is Archimatix. First no email or asset store alert for the 24 hr sale, and now the bank apparently had TWO methods of nightly deposits and I used the wrong one. :(

Apparently my funds I deposited at 6pm yesterday evening are on hold until 3pm this afternoon because I used the ATM instead of the (not-at-all-marked) nightly deposit box. The funds are there. They're just sitting quietly until someone approves the deposit this afternoon. So lame. :'(

38. roryo

roryo

So sorry to hear it @awesomedata. :(

39. IFL

IFL

Not sure if these have been reported or if this is where you want bug reports...

Ax v1.01, U v5.5.1f1
    1. Connector Issue
      AX_ConnectorFun.gif
      The issue persists even if the group is minimized or if the connection is removed and remade. This doesn't affect functionality, but it is kind of frustrating.
    2. Selection Issue - not necessarily a bug, possibly related to what @Discord reported at the end of the last page
      With mouse interaction between navigating the scene view (which deselects all Ax objects when using MMB to pan) and returning to the graph editor (or selecting an Ax object) there is a delay of about 6 seconds before Unity responds to anything. I think my annoyance with the issue is ultimately caused by the forced deselect, but it wouldn't hurt to have the selection speed improved anyway.
    These issues aside, I'm having a blast with Archimatix. You've done a great job with it, and it has obviously evolved a lot since your initial posts on the WIP forum. Let me know if you have any questions about the issues above.

40. roryo

roryo

Wow - thanks for reporting these issues. They fall into the annoying but easy to fix category! Now, on to fix them....

IFL likes this.
  41. roryo

roryo

Sorry to hear this @brisingre!

brisingre likes this.
  42. daschatten

daschatten

Hm, can't get it to work, can you create a tutorial for this somewhen? Don't hurry, just playing around :)

43. awesomedata

awesomedata

Thanks for your condolences @roryo -- I really appreciate it! -- BUT THE ASSET STORE GODS STILL LOVE ME!!

I was so stoked to be able to try out Archimatix when it went on sale, and my lack of funds (and the inflexibility of my budget!) just wouldn't allow it otherwise. You wouldn't think $40 would make that much of a difference, but in my case it really does.

However!!

Apparently, when I tried the payment again today, just for kicks, after the funds had finally posted to my account, I was quite pleasantly surprised! -- I am now the proud new owner of this amazing new tool!!

Can't wait to give this a real go! So excited to not have to hate architectural modeling! :D :D :D

44. roryo

roryo

Will do!

45. roryo

roryo

NICE! So glad you were able to climb on board as the great ship, Daily Deal was just pulling away from the dock. In the words of the immortal Hannibal Smith for The A-Team: "I love it when a plan comes together!"

Welcome aboard, @awesomedata!

awesomedata likes this.
  46. Sujeto

Sujeto

Hey! Just bought Archimatix yesterday on the sale and im so exited to give it a try!!! it looks so awesome!!!

But this problem appears on my project ... any help?

Captura de pantalla 2017-04-05 a la(s) 13.52.26.png

47. roryo

roryo

Hi @Sujeto - welcome aboard!

Looks like you have a conflict with another asset in you project. But this is partially my fault, since I did not prefix the call to Generator there with my namespace. I just fixed in the code and the fix will be in next week's update. In the meantime, the workaround is to use AX in a new project (not a bad idea when first learning it) or remove the other 3rd-party asset temporarily (probably another asset that might have a class called Generator without a namespace prefix). Sorry for the hassle!

48. shredingskin

shredingskin

Dungen may be causing that problem, i had the same error (it also has a generator script).

I'm another victim of the 24h sale, pretty amazing asset, I've never tried this approach, but the tutorials made it fairly easy to just throw a couple of nodes and start trying stuff. Great work.

49. roryo

roryo

Hi @shredingskin - welcome aboard!

I think your right - DunGen seems to have a class called Generator without a namespace prefix.

50. Arganth

Arganth

Yes it has but its in the demo folder
    think it can be safely deleted and it still works
    (at least i did it)
    but havent tested it further