Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ARCHIMATIX PRO Node-based Parametric Modeling for Unity [Unity Awards Finalist]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by roryo, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Xepherys

Xepherys

I don't even have the funds on hand to buy it right now, and I STILL check like three times a day to see if it's been released.

roryo, RuinsOfFeyrin and Teila like this.
  2. RuinsOfFeyrin

RuinsOfFeyrin

Im still sticking by the possibility they are gonna tell roryo they want to include AX in-to unity... cause its just that awesome.

Xepherys, roryo and Teila like this.
  3. roryo

roryo

As the immortal Tom Petty once sang, "The waiting is the hardest part"

Xepherys and nxrighthere like this.
  4. RuinsOfFeyrin

RuinsOfFeyrin

Actually what happened is, when everyone returned to the office and saw the AX was finally in que for testing for the asset store a giant fight erupted out in the office over who was going to get to test it, since not everyone could test it as other assets need to be tested at well. What ensued I'm guessing looked a lot like "The Belko Experiment" with the victor getting to test AX... the victor however only lived about 5 seconds longer then the runner up... and unity is now in the process of hiring new asset store testers and trying to keep this story out of the media.

5. tango209

tango209

If it's been over two weeks, I'd email the asset store and ask for an update. My asset appeared to get misplaced, an email and it was approved that day.

6. roryo

roryo

Thanks, @tango209 - I'll give it a try!

7. Whippets

Whippets

Yep, it's always worth mailing them if it's longer than the two weeks (and we're at 3 weeks now).

pixelsteam likes this.
  8. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

We all must find a way to tear down the walls...and build parametric bridges.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  9. roryo

roryo

Looks like that email did the trick - just got the approval notice! And, yes, its live!

DasBiot, Inspeinre, radimoto and 13 others like this.
  10. mons00n

mons00n

!!!!

roryo likes this.
  11. Teila

Teila

You need to post a link, Rory!!!!

Congrats!

:D

antoripa likes this.
  12. roryo

roryo

Thank's @Teila!

For those interested, you can get your Archimatix here!

13. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

The "comics" are the best part! :p

KingfisherWyvernStudio and roryo like this.
  14. coldpizzapunk

coldpizzapunk

So excited to start using this! Congrats!

roryo likes this.
  15. Whippets

Whippets

downloading now

antoripa and roryo like this.
  16. LSpring

LSpring

Insta-buy for me. Congratulations on an amazing asset!

roryo likes this.
  17. Whippets

Whippets

5.5.0p4 Import - no errors/warnings - post-intall popup looking great

Edit: Possibly the best looking editor windows I've ever seen. Very polished. Bloody good work Rory, can see the time, effort, and patience that's gone into the user-experience.

18. Teila

Teila

I can't play until I get done with this terrain for a presentation! Oh, and then look over another asset for someone....

Someday...

roryo likes this.
  19. LSpring

LSpring

All the work between beta and release really shows. Those little idiosyncrasies in the beta seem to be gone, and the workflow seems much more intuitive since then.

Took me just a few minutes after importing to build a cool structure and fit it into my game world. This is going to be FUN!

20. roryo

roryo

Thanks all! Especially to those who have already stormed the asset store and busted down the doors! Thank you! Thank you!

And for those so inclined, some short reviews would help hurtle the fledging package skywards - Robot Kyle is buckled in and ready for lift off! ;)

21. imaginationrabbit

imaginationrabbit

Made my day :) Just purchased it- thanks for your time and dedication in developing this tool.

22. awesomedata

awesomedata

Well, them's the breaks I guess... I'm really glad to see ARCHIMATIX is finally on the asset store, but I guess I'll just have to wait on a sale. Been following this for quite some time now, so after seeing an earlier post about it being released for the first month at ~$95 for early adopters, I had only saved up ~$100 to put toward ARCHIMATIX. Sadly, as much of a steal as this is (even at $150!), I just can't swing the extra money. I hate to say it, but I guess I'll just have to wait. :(

Anyway, I'm glad to see there are so many others who can afford this in my stead! Ultimately, I think you did an amazing job on this @roryo -- rethinking what can be done in modeling alone is a huge feat in and of itself, and you totally deserve everything you get for all your hard work on ARCHIMATIX! Good luck man! :)

23. Xepherys

Xepherys

@awesomedata - I'm in the same boat. I just recently purchased a few hundred dollars worth of assets, so my budget is stretched, but this is next on my list for sure. I've been chomping at the bit since I first ran across this thread. @roryo seems to have made a stellar product.

awesomedata likes this.
  24. imaginationrabbit

imaginationrabbit

I went through the very well done manual and followed the tutorials in it- I'm blown away as Archimatix is a really powerful and flexible tool!

I can't find the Solid/Void toggle- is it on the ShaperMerger?

ShapeDistributor help link goes to this 404 http://www.archimatix.com/nodes/.shapedistributor

Really excited to learn more and build some stuff with this :) Brilliant work.

25. roryo

roryo

Thanks, @mdotstrange! Glad to hear you are liking it so far. Of course, as the developer putting his wares on the shelf, I harbor worry that the product is not all that the example images make it out to be–so comments such as these from someone who has been following the thread for a while now are very heartening! Thank you! Thank you!

Per the Solid/Void toggle, it is indeed on the ShapeMerger node palette:

Archimatix 2017-03-09_08-14-46_PM.jpg

The void icon next to the Rectangle Shape input could be clicked at this point to make it a solid, meaning that the Circle and Rectangle would be merged.

26. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

Congrats, @roryo ! I'll have to wait a few days since I've got a few other things to do first, but I'll definitely start playing with it sometime this weekend

It's a good thing I set some extra money aside on top of that $100 especially for Archimatix. I'll have to wait with some other assets now

Congrats again! Looking forward to playing with it!

Whippets and roryo like this.
  27. RuinsOfFeyrin

RuinsOfFeyrin

Of course this comes out when im out of town for work... I come back in a day or two thought and will grab it as soon as I'm back!!! Im jealous of everyone who is playing with it right now... i contemplated quitting my job and going home just to purchase this and play with this...

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  28. imaginationrabbit

imaginationrabbit

Oh ok I was looking for something to click with the name "Solid/Void" - thank you. I read the the manual and did all the examples in it- it does a good job of explaining things and has a certain charm to it that makes it fun to follow.

I haven't done much node/plan based modeling as I'm a poly/point/vertex pusher and I can see one of the most challenging things for me is gaining the ability to think in terms of 2d plans to design structures- are there any books that you would recommend to help learning how to design things in the way Archimatix works?

29. awesomedata

awesomedata

Thanks @Xepherys ! Glad to know I wasn't the only one who saw the posts mentioning it was going to be ~$95 on its first month for early adopters and thought "I can totally swing that!" only to be let down by my lack of finances. I only ask that if/when there is a sale or something, somebody let me know please! D:

roryo and KingfisherWyvernStudio like this.
  30. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Congrats Rory, I was playing with the beta last night in anticipation of the release. I wake up this am and it has arrived. You are a magician, and have toiled for many years on this asset....perfection is never easy. But you did it.

DasBiot, roryo, chiapet1021 and 2 others like this.
  31. antoripa

antoripa

I am really happy about Archimatix .. I am having a lot of fun ....
    @roryo Can I setup the parameters at runtime ?

32. Inspeinre

Inspeinre

As I saw - I immediately bought :)

roryo likes this.
  33. Fab4

Fab4

Congratulations for the release
    Although the price is high for an unity asset I think it is s good price for a modeling tool like that
    I bought it instantly

roryo and KingfisherWyvernStudio like this.
  34. roryo

roryo

Thanks, @Whippets! The Node Graph Editor UI has been evolving for over 2 years now. But we owe a great deal of thanks to @S_Darkwell, who, during the beta, went over the interface with a fine tooth comb and took the time to write up a list of over a hundred suggestions and fixes, including big things and small (such as an icon being a pixel or two off, etc.). That was my to-do list for a few days and it sure did help bring the editor to its current sheen.

35. Xepherys

Xepherys

Meh, to cool to let wait - budget be damned. Just bought it. Super excited!

36. roryo

roryo

Thanks so much, @Xepherys!

37. roryo

roryo

Thanks for your kind words, @awesomedata! I think that if you add Archimatix to your wish list on the asset store, the store will notifiy you when it goes on sale.

38. roryo

roryo

Thanks, @Inspeinre!

39. roryo

roryo

You can add parameters to any node in the editor. Custom parameters are particularly useful in Shape nodes and Grouper nodes. You can add parameters at runtime, but it may be best to wait until the runtime API is released. ;)

40. roryo

roryo

Spectacular, @pixelsteam!

41. Whippets

Whippets

How does one go about creating 2D shapes for the library?

According to the tutorial for Lathes (sky platform) when adding another shape's Output to the Lathe input, it doesn't add a shape merger, but removes the initial shape link and replaces it with the new one. Do we need to hold a key or something to get this to work?

Also, following the same tutorial, I don't get a clicker to alter the sweep angle.

42. roryo

roryo

Thanks, @Fab4!
    Although architects design volumetric space, they are more often than not articulating that space with 2D surfaces: floor plates, stone walls, vaulted ceilings. When architects draw in plan and section, they are commonly working in 2D but imagining 3D at the same time. A really great book about how architects think about space is the heavily illustrated book Architecture: Form, Space, and Order by Francis Ching. Anyone interested in level design would get a lot out of his artful cataloging and taxonomy of space.

antoripa, imaginationrabbit and Teila like this.
  43. Teila

Teila

Oh no, now I want that book. You are very good at finding books that I didn't know I wanted. :)

44. Xepherys

Xepherys

So, what's the best method to report bugs?

45. DasBiot

DasBiot

Hello @roryo - I am now a proud owner of a copy of AX and getting on learning how to use this great tool.

As I was going through the "Skyplatform" tutorial (nothing quite like building a spaceship made of poured concrete :) ) I noticed a little hiccup in the way that AX was working. Sometimes when I have the AX Graph Editor open and then try to reposition the view port via the right mouse button and WASD keys, AX will deselect the currently active model, select some other model, and the model that I was working on will just disappear from the viewport window. To counteract this mysterious disappearance, I simply click on a panel (e.g., Extrude) inside the AX Graph Editor, and my intended model reappears in the viewport. Quite curious. This doesn't happen all the time, it is simply an annoyance.

(Tested on Windows 10, Unity 5.5.2p1)

In any case, great work Rory! AX is quite a joy to work with and it looks like I will be spending quite a lot of hours prototyping architecture - may even making some non-archi things like the Normandy SR2 :)

Cheers!

46. roryo

roryo

I will set up a separate support forum in the next day or so and perhaps a Trello site for ticketing.

47. roryo

roryo

Thanks for your purchase, @DasBiot! I have noticed the unexpected hiding of the model as well, but have not been able to consistently reproduce it yet. It seems to only happen once or twice in a new project. Hope to have it cleared up in the first update, and certainly sometime before concrete ships can fly!

48. Xepherys

Xepherys

Sounds good. Actually, and I'm not sure what all it entails, but I've found for projects like this Discord is a pretty decent chat-type option for users. Ali has one for Dungeon Architect, and it's handy to be able to crowdsource solutions to issues (not bugs, just use issues) and give each other tips and stuff. I'd never used Discord until recently, but it works nicely for this sort of thing. I suspect AX might have a pretty solid community soon.

49. DasBiot

DasBiot

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I did a little more testing and it seems that clicking the right mouse button has a similar effect to clicking the LEFT mouse button - i.e., if I click the right mouse button over the model I'm working on, there is no change in the viewport window. If, however, I click the right mouse button over anything else, including empty space, then that other thing gets selected automatically and my AX model disappears. So the workaround is to simply make sure that I hover the mouse cursor over my AX model before clicking.

50. roryo

roryo

Thanks for the suggestion, @Xepherys. Looks like Discord is similar to slack.com site we have been using for the beta community. I'll check Discord out and compare. Only the best for the growing AX community!

Inspeinre and wetcircuit like this.