Search Unity

ARCHIMATIX PRO Node-based Parametric Modeling for Unity [Unity Awards Finalist]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by roryo, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Hitch42

Hitch42

Robot Kyle has such sights to show you.

Whippets and roryo like this.
  2. roryo

roryo

After this experience, Kyle would have to agree... it really IS lonely at the top! Capto_Capture 2016-05-25_11-39-33_PM.jpg

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    Whippets likes this.
  3. Seneral

Seneral

That looks really great @Royo!
    I don't see an overview of existing nodes / an documentation, is it only available to beta users? I'm definitely interested in this, it was always my 'dream' to create/get a node based modeler;) So glad to have found this, trust me!

Some other thoughts/questions I have:
    - I've already seen some fine engraved objects in this thread but how hard would it be to create stuff like.... curved (say deformed), but engraved shields, or even some organic (partially procedural) stuff like a wooden palisade?
    - Is there any approach possible to work on some basics predefined shapes (say, meshes) not generated by one of the nodes? So for example I could input some basic deformed cubes and refine them with this tool with a predefiend pattern (Disregarding the fact that you can generate them with this tool for a moment)?
    - How are your plans regarding texture generation? I know there is Substance support, but to truly use it's power, we need to be able to generate masks... So for example instead of a mesh to represent engravings, a mask to put into a substance, or generating a curvature/worldspace normal map. Is anything like this planned?

Thank you very much!

4. roryo

roryo

Hi @Seneral - thanks for your note! The docs are a work in progress, the production of which is frequently interrupted by bug reports!

I have been dreaming of a node-based modeler for 25 years! I tried creating plugins for Softimage, Maya, C4D, but I got bogged down in the friction of those applications api's, particularly when it cam to GUI. Unity has been such a dream to develop in!

Deformers are a new class of nodes that will be in a later version of AX, or perhaps a separate pack. For something like a wooden palisade, would this example be getting close to what you are imagining?

There will be nodes for external GameObjects (especially lights!) and meshes, but not in the first release. The meshes will then be able to be fed into deformer nodes or act as surfaces for deformers to use as coordinate systems. So you could do an engraving of sorts and then deform it around an imported mesh. Carving imported meshes won't be possible until we have a CSG node going. Again, the first release of AX will not have mesh deformers yet.

I think there is great potential for meshes to generate textures and normal maps. Not only for creating textures procedurally taking advantage of the Shape merging, offsetting, thickening and repeating, but also to automatically generate LOD textures that replace meshes at a certain distance.

As fun as it is to muse of future pipeline, we've got to get the first release out the door! Sometimes it seems like that last 1% takes 99% of the time! ;)

Seneral likes this.
  5. Seneral

Seneral

Thank you for your answer - I'm truly impressed how much effort and research you seem to have done even prior to Unity!
    I know making the documentation can be the worst part, take your time with it to make it the best;)
    Also, the Jitter node seems to work just fine, the example is great!

Regarding the meshes, take your time with a CSG system if that would been to delay the first release. There's already a discussion and approach to a node-based CSG editor in this thread - might be worth to look at:)
    Indeed, LOD is another great use case of some kind of texturing functionality. But more in general - when you assign materials to different parts of the mesh, these get seperated, right? This can get a little bit annoying later, a better option (atleast for some cases) is generating a mask of materials to use with a substance, shouldn't be too complicated either. Then this could be extended later by using meshes as projectors of these masks on other meshes (eg. to make these engravings);)

On your final note, those extra features (if ever implemented) really shouldn't hold the first release off - I was simply interested in what is implemented and what you might consider implementing, and I'm glad to see you're sharing some of my thoughts and interest in that regard;)

6. rwetzold

rwetzold

I just saw a super interesting 3D mapping method from the Unity 11 hackweek. I feel it is somehow related to this project, not sure about the best way yet. Wouldn't it be interesting if the approaches could somehow be combined. What do you think?

7. sarum

sarum

got the beta yesterday .. first steps for robot Kyle

3.jpg

3a.jpg

3b.jpg

3c.jpg

steveR, roryo, Whippets and 3 others like this.
  8. elbows

elbows

This is what came out the other end when I had a very quick go at following the new Skyplatform tutorials.

ASkyPlatformAttempt.jpg

Robot Kyle hid in the shadows. Because judging by how small he felt and the menacing potential of the weather modification prongs, he had accidentally beamed himself onto the wrong Skyplatform!

steveR, Teila and roryo like this.
  9. roryo

roryo

@elbows - I don't want to be around when those weather modification prongs get fired up!

10. steveR

steveR

Robot Kyle at the Kyle Ranch.
    Had fun feeding shapes into the lathe, after learning how on the video tutorial

roryo, Teila and elbows like this.
  11. roryo

roryo

Nice work @steveR! I want to know what happened to Kyle as he went between to two red poles of the hyper magnet. He look a little stunned, her stunning on the stairs!

12. roryo

roryo

Hi @10FingerArmy! Sorry for the delay in replying and thanks for the link. That is a very cool Hackwork project. It is a little like Dungeon Architect that hit the AssetStore recently. It looks like Tilemap3D is a cell-based modular system. Because it is placing modules according to a brush-style workflow, it is a simple and fast way to buildout levels.

One way this could be integrated with a parametric approach like Archimatix is to have cells that are not necessarily squares but more random shapes that are painted or drawn while the infill, rather than modular pieces of set dimensions, are parametrically generated according to the dimensions arising from the interactive drawing. An example of this can be seen here:

Archimatix could also provide custom models that vary according to square cells as in Dungeon Architect or Tilemap3D. For example, placing columns whose radius and height vary with relative to the number of adjoining cells that are forming a space.[/QUOTE]

13. roryo

roryo

Here's a sneak peek the Skyplatform tutorials that the the beta team have been working with:

14. sarum

sarum

robot Kyle is trying to build his house

4.jpg

but something went wrong .. hello .. help !

4c.jpg

steveR and roryo like this.
  15. S_Darkwell

S_Darkwell

I may have been silent on this thread, but only because I'm spending so much time working with Archimatix. It's capabilities are daunting, especially when you're willing to dive into the deep-end of custom shape coding (as I have)!

Even so, I had to take a break to create a couple photos. The geometry below is constructed with shapes already built into Archimatix. Anyone should be able to create these environments with ease!

Robot Kyle was recently seen entering S. Darkwell's Archimatix creations. His apprehension was notable.
    01.jpg

Robot Kyle went missing days later. His last confirmed sighting was in what is thought to be a storage bay. 02.jpg
    Although images seem to confirm otherwise, Robot Kyle seems to have believed that he was not alone.
    03.jpg

Additional posts will follow as this story progresses.

- S.

roryo, steveR and Whippets like this.
  16. roryo

roryo

Love this Kyle side plot @S_Darkwell!

Just a reminder: all the models (except for Kyle) posted here by the beta team are created right in the Unity editor using Archimatix ;)

17. sarum

sarum

robot Kyle knew he had to build a boat to get there ...

5.jpg

but something went wrong ..

5b.jpg

steveR, Whippets and roryo like this.
  18. neoshaman

neoshaman

If there is no reference to robot kyle when this is out in the asset store, I will leave :eek:

roryo likes this.
  19. roryo

roryo

Thanks to the help of beta team member @mangax, looks like we will have some ability to have vertex colors to use with shaders that blend textures while keeping the material count to 1!
    Capto_Capture 2016-05-31_04-00-02_PM.jpg

Seneral, S_Darkwell and Whippets like this.
  20. roryo

roryo

Robot Kyle knows its a generalization, but... he just can't help thinking... "if you've seen one post-apocalyptic city, you've seen them all!
    Capto_Capture 2016-05-31_04-40-45_PM.jpg

Whippets likes this.
  21. neoshaman

neoshaman

Can we jitter the vertex color?

22. roryo

roryo

Not at present... but there is nothing stopping us from adding it! This would be relatively easy.

23. roryo

roryo

Kyle never seemed to tire of observing the carbon-based life forms on the planet below from his Skyplatform. Though...

Archimatix 2016-06-01_10-59-34_PM.jpg

... he could never be sure what they made of him!

Archimatix 2016-06-01_10-54-51_PM.jpg

Well, it was of no consequence anyway... he would be moving on to the next world in a matter of moments...

Archimatix 2016-06-01_10-55-56_PM.jpg

He did get a kick out how the indigenous people took to the name his ship... "Odin."

Before leaving, he thought he should give this world a name. The previous worlds he visited he named according to a system. They were Learth, Mearth, Tearth, Fearth... Let's see, Kyle, what would be a good name for this world?

Archimatix 2016-06-01_10-56-34_PM.jpg

Here I am testing the new Save as Prefab feature of Archimatix. This Skyplatform was modeled in the Unity Editor using Archimatix in a matter of minutes. It was saved as a Prefab and then then exported in a package to be opened in Unity's Viking Village demo seen. At this point the model is no longer parametric, but it can be played in any scene without Archimatix in the project.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  24. Teila

Teila

Very cool!! I love the screenshots.

25. sarum

sarum

Kyle ? Kyle ?

7.jpg

7a.jpg

7b.jpg

7c.jpg

Fab4, wetcircuit, Seneral and 4 others like this.
  26. sarum

sarum

found him ... he was inside !

7f.jpg

Fab4, wetcircuit and roryo like this.
  27. roryo

roryo

Love that lattice work as a ceiling! Having trouble picking out present-day Kyle from time-traveling instances...

28. sarum

sarum

if you want my opinion .. something pretty suspicious is going on in there .. could it be that some villains screen spaced reflectionned him to stole his appearance .. and conquer the world ?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  29. roryo

roryo

Not sure exactly what it is, but I know it can be modeled from scratch right in the Unity editor in a couple minutes using Archimatix!
    Capto_Capture 2016-06-08_11-25-18_AM.jpg

30. roryo

roryo

31. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Grid repeater has an offset? I did not see that….

32. roryo

roryo

@wetcircuit, what do you mean by an offset? Do you mean a "brickwork" pattern?

33. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Yes, brickwork (offset row/column by 50%, or adjustable)

I see you are doing it with your hex pattern. I tried but didn't find a way. Did you use a formula? I haven't figured that part out yet….

34. roryo

roryo

Its actually very easy! The GridRepeater2D takes a Node Shape and a Cell Mesh. The differences between the two are explained on GridRepeater (but the same concept applies to GridRepeater2D).

With that in mind, I fed the same Shape into both the Node Shape input and the Cell Shape input!
    Capto_Capture 2016-06-07_03-34-48_PM.jpg

wetcircuit likes this.
  35. roryo

roryo

@wetcircuit, I just realized the above will not work in the latest beta build, but will in the next (due out in the next day or so).

36. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

AHHHHHHHHH! I had not thought of that!

Had used cell/node for floor/columns…. Very clever.

37. roryo

roryo

More GridRepeater2D:
    Capto_Capture 2016-06-08_02-13-33_PM.jpg Capto_Capture 2016-06-08_02-14-39_PM.jpg

38. roryo

roryo

Sci-fi-henge!
    Capto_Capture 2016-05-23_05-50-59_PM.jpg

Made from RadialRepeater_Node and RadialRepeater_Cell:
    Capto_Capture 2016-05-24_10-56-39_AM.jpg Capto_Capture 2016-05-24_10-53-42_AM.jpg

Whippets likes this.
  39. sarum

sarum

8.jpg

8b.jpg
    8c.jpg

roryo, wetcircuit and Teila like this.
  40. Voronoi

Voronoi

Here is a quick demo of the power in procedural modeling to build complex environments. Introducing a small variable creates entirely new structures, yet retains 'order' because of the grid underpinnings.

Screen is from wearing a Rift to look around the environment.

roryo likes this.
  41. Voronoi

Voronoi

This is really interesting! I was trying to make a brick-like pattern by feeding the same shape into the Node and Cell of a grid repeater. That was producing about what I thought it would. Then, by chance I made it repeat 4 on the V and 5 on the U. Suddenly it's a complex middle eastern pattern! I have no idea how I did that, but I've always heard those patterns are creating using math.

The other thing that is impressive is these overlapping spline/subtraction/things that I'm making are not blowing up. Try to do this in Illustrator or any other program and it will. It might look OK, but the spline/bezier/vertex order would be a mess. No idea why these splines are making sense under the hood, but they do and they extrude with no artifacts at all! Crazy.

Screenshot (4).png

roryo likes this.
  42. Voronoi

Voronoi

Crazy amount of variation. Only change between ground floor and second is to offset the second floor repeater by 1. Then, for the roof, offset by -1.
    Screenshot (6).png

Nice, symmetrical building with balconies and overhang.

Now, what happens if you rotate the input hex shape by 5 degrees? Really nice overhangs of varying amounts. Impossible to imagine a structure like this. A lot of happy accidents with this tool:

Screenshot (5).png

roryo and wetcircuit like this.
  43. roryo

roryo

@Voronoi: Thanks for posting these experiments - VERY EXCITING!

44. Voronoi

Voronoi

Your project has a lot of the fun factor in Rhino, where you can visually experiment to create shapes that are unexpected. As you know, it's just fun fiddling with parameters and seeing the results, makes it hard to get work done... Minecraft for the architect?

What I find impressive is how instantaneous the meshes are created and that the meshes are high quality, i.e. minimal polygons with detail where you need them and UV's that are useable in a game engine.

I know it's tempting to think of boolean subtraction to create these kind of things, but in my experience the resulting mesh from a boolean operation is miserable. Better to plan out a proper spline extrusion in the first place, and if needed use warping to keep it from looking too 'flat'.

roryo likes this.
  45. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

AXthing.jpg

roryo likes this.
  46. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Another thumb-up for just twiddling to see what you get…. Makes me want to make post-modern puzzle games… or maybe Whack-A-Mole 2525AXthingB.jpg

roryo and Whippets like this.
  47. roryo

roryo

Archimatix 2016-06-13_08-36-03_AM.jpg

Intersecting GridRepeater2D's.

48. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Was trying to get an arch to ba a span in the pathrepeater…. (I know, I know… it's not ready)
    Gave up and used Radial Repeater for the arches instead….
    MyImage-(5).jpg

Whippets and roryo like this.
  49. roryo

roryo

Archimatix 2016-06-14_05-15-27_PM2.jpg

This A-Frame was built entirely in the Unity editor using Archimatix!

Teila, pcg, Whippets and 1 other person like this.
  50. roryo

roryo

Almost done with all the 2D nodes!

wetcircuit likes this.