Search Unity

Arch or Ubuntu?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Brogan89, Oct 2, 2018.

?

Arch or Ubuntu, what do you use for Unity development?

1. Arch

60.0%
  2. Ubuntu

40.0%
  1. Brogan89

Brogan89

Pretty much want to find out what everyone is running.

This can include any of the derivatives.

I'm torn between the two, I really like Arch because of pacman and aur. But Ubuntu seems to just run Unity a bit better. Maybe because I'm missing something in Arch (most likely) because I'm still trying to get bumblebee to run properly on my laptop.

So I just want to see what the community is using... please don't turn this into a distro war. Thanks :)

2. knobby67

knobby67

I use lubuntu runs fine

kitswas and Brogan89 like this.
  3. Brogan89

Brogan89

I realise Unity Hub had a Linux version so I installed latest 2018.2 through the hub and it seems to be a lot better. Not sure why that would be, probably something to do with the AUR package from `unity-editor` I'd assume. But it doesn't matter, I'm happy now. So once I get time to set up bumblebee on my laptop I'll be working full-time Unity in Arch Linux. Loving it.

4. knobby67

knobby67

Got to add I update my lubuntu from 17 to 18 yesterday, not unity has started crashing, 3 times this morning. It was rock solid with 17.10

5. Cygon4

Cygon4

I've been running Unity on Gentoo (OpenRC; KDE 5 Plasma; NVidia proprietary drivers) since the first Linux betas. I can't remember any serious issue, ever. Certainly no crashes.

6. ManchesterCode

ManchesterCode

I use Unity on Manjaro. While I can use the latest version in the AUR, I find that the versions installed through the hub are more stable. Unfortunately I can’t get the Android modules to install through the hub (it errors out when installing after downloading) so I have to switch around between the hub and the AUR versions :(

7. Brogan89

Brogan89

I've ended up going back to Ubuntu. I'd really like to use Arch but its much too nitty gritty which is not a bad thing, its good for learning, but sometimes I just need to get S*** done.

I had that issue too, posted here https://forum.unity.com/threads/module-installation-failed-ubuntu-18-10.573868/
    solved by installing 7zip.

8. ManchesterCode

ManchesterCode

Thanks, it's since started working for me, likely I've ended up installing 7zip or some other lib it needed as a dependency at some point :)

Brogan89 likes this.