Search Unity

►► Arcade Racer: Racing Game Development Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Stephen_O, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hello,

1. The races are separate scenes, their settings are stored on scriptable objects. The triggers can be assigned a race scriptable object, which also knows the scenes name. When the trigger is entered, the assigned race scene is loaded. You can create multiple versions of your open world, and setup a race in each, then have those scenes loaded on trigger to create open world events, or load into standalone race scenes on tracks, etc.

2. Sure, I can add that as an option. Watch the mobile template's forum thread for update when I submit it.

3. Yes, the AI waypoint routes are modular, you can create branching routes, if multiple connections are available the car will pick one at random.

4. Yes, but there is currently no logic to auto trigger nitro for AI cars, so it's never really used there. Nitro On/Off scripting calls can be made, so it's possible to setup a trigger for ai nitro zones.

5a. No multiplayer plans, it was a feature when UNET was available, but Unity abruptly removed that service after advocating and promoting it. They did not replace it with anything. That was a huge waste of development time that caused me to rewrite and throw away parts the project.

5b. There's no roadmap, it's best to focus on what's currently available in the public releases, I don't want anyone to purchase something from me for what I might add, or plan to add in a future release. The next major asset upgrade will be version 2.0, which will include a restructure where the standalone template project is moved to it's own asset (similar to how the mobile template is setup), and get some of the updates from the new mobile template, like spline route creator for races added. This will fully modularized all parts of the kit, allowing users to more easily use only the part they need for a current project, and allowing me to iterate on updates easier with all included assets being separated.

rohitpradeep likes this.
  2. rohitpradeep

rohitpradeep

thank you for taking time to reply :)
    Appreciate the detailed explanations

Stephen_O likes this.
  3. rohitpradeep

rohitpradeep

Hi Stephen... i have purchased your asset and have been playing with it for last few days..
    amazing asset...so many features and modular as well! thank you for making this asset !
    I do have some difficulty with the car controller .. and was hoping you could help out...
    - the moment the car its a wall or another car it sorta gets stuck or turns around, any settings to make it feel more arcade type ?
    - when i press the reverse key, how do i configure the gear shift to avoid Neutral and go directly to R. ?
    - what vehicle settings do you recommend to get a good drift when taking corners ?

4. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hello,

I'm glad you're enjoying the asset!

There's a good amount of physics changes you can make to the components used by the cars to change their behavior.
    For the collision, try assigning the "Car Body" to the player car collider, it's located at:
    Assets\TurnTheGameOn\Arcade Racer\PhysicsMaterials\Car Body

Default values will help, and the settings should help control collision friction, you can learn more about physics materials here (these can also be applied to wall and AI car colliders):
    https://docs.unity3d.com/2019.3/Documentation/Manual/class-PhysicMaterial.html

The UI displays the gear based on current speed, pressing and holding back arrow will break until 0, then reverse. Unfortunately there's not an easy option to reconfigure this. If you'd like to change the logic, you can rewrite the CarDriveSystem.ApplyDrive method lines 200-260, this is where input is processed.

You can adjust the car's wheel colliders forward/sideways friction to achieve more drift-like behavior, this will take some trial and error. Here's a link to the docs to explain what those settings do:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-WheelCollider.html

The arcade racer project does support Edy's Vehicle Physics as an alternate option to the default player car prefab, it allows for more customization over physics settings. This might be worth looking into as an option. Since that asset specifically focuses on physics you may be able to get results you desire.

rohitpradeep likes this.
  5. rohitpradeep

rohitpradeep

Thanks Stephen for the advise..I shall try it out and let you know! (y)

Stephen_O likes this.
  6. daniel6839

daniel6839

Is there any way I can make the AI cars move faster?

7. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

You can increase the value 'Full Torque Over All Wheels' on the car settings.

Attached Files:

8. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.8.20 submitted.

• Removed unused scene view 'Test Button' from CarAIWaypoint component.

9. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Does this support Eddy Physics ?

I'm using a different system now, but this could be a good backup if things go wrong.

10. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Yes, here's an integration tutorial/demo video:

11. Justin_Wingfall

Justin_Wingfall

Ill be ok with regular physics, if it didnt feel like driving a paper plate.

12. SarhanSoft

SarhanSoft

Is there any tutorial how can i setup new car model?

when im trying to change some IK avatar for hands, but they reset location after start game.
    upload_2021-4-4_22-42-20.png

13. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

The video tutorial at 1:05:32 shows the setup process for creating a new car prefab:

The avatar driver specifically is at 1:10:45

You might also find this tutorial helpful:

14. SarhanSoft

SarhanSoft

thanks i sove the issue
    for now i want to make some connect in my traffic system like your demo (open world) see this image please
    upload_2021-4-5_16-7-41.png
    I have no use light traffic because my scene not contain any light traffic.
    so how can i make connect between these roads?

15. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

There's detailed information/tutorial in the documentation:
    Assets\TurnTheGameOn\Documentation

starting on page 38, it discusses how to use AIWaypointRoutes. You'll need to connect the start/end waypoints using the OnReachWaypointSettings NewRoutePoint array. When an AI car reaches the end of a waypoint route, it will use this array and choose a random point from it to use as a new route.

SarhanSoft likes this.
  16. SarhanSoft

SarhanSoft

Thanks @Stephen_O
    im working around Traffic system. and i face two issues not effect my project but still confiuse me when im working.
    The first one, this Empty Game Object called "IK_Driver_Waypoint_Gizmo_Helper" still dublicate himself even if i delete it.

The second one, this bug come when i open another scene then back to the scene have traffic system

please look the images in the below
    upload_2021-4-7_16-8-27.png

17. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Thank you for reporting this bug. I believe it might be caused by a change in recent Unity versions, but not sure. To resolve, please do the following:

Change line 189 in CarAIWaypointRoute script:
    Assets\TurnTheGameOn\Arcade Racer\Scripts\Car\AI\CarAIWaypointRoute

from
    Code (CSharp):
    1. arrowPointer.hideFlags = HideFlags.HideAndDontSave;
    to
    Code (CSharp):
    1. arrowPointer.gameObject.hideFlags = HideFlags.HideAndDontSave;
    I believe the error and duplicating object are both cause by this bug. After updating the script, you should be able to delete the objects, and not see any errors.

SarhanSoft likes this.
  18. DethKwok

DethKwok

Hi, Would you ever released just the AI Driver/Waypoint systems separately? Having trouble with another AI Driver asset, looking for alternatives.

Thanks for keeping this up to date btw.

EDIT: Also is the traffic system in this the same as your standalone?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  19. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hello,

Simple Traffic System AI is similar, but more focused on providing an improved traffic system (more tools, features, and optimizations). However it's not designed for racing, so may not be as good for that as the AI in this template. I also have a separate IK Avatar Driver asset that can be used with Simple Traffic System to allow animated humanoid models in the AI cars.

I don't think I will release a racing specific AI system as standalone.

20. SarhanSoft

SarhanSoft

Thanks, it solved the bug.

For now i have notic two more points:
    One, the boxs gizmo still view even in Play mode, i try with Waypoint settings but still not hide in Play Mode.

Two,
    The car tries to go to the next point on the straight road, but suddenly decides to turn to the right.
    If the last point in the lane gives two turning points (one for the right and the other for the left), the car always chooses the first lane point. Sometimes the car suddenly decides to return to a back point, even though there is no connection to a back point. Or turn too much to hit a wall. I think that the explanation is a little complicated, but I can share with you the project files to preview it directly, so maybe the defect is from me and it may be from the codes

upload_2021-4-8_20-7-33.png

anyway, i have make a video to be more clear about my issue.

Again, if you like see a copy from my project it not problem.

21. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

You can toggle of gizmos in the top right corner of scene view by clicking the Gizmos button.

For the cars that are acting strange, it looks like your some of your OnReachWaypointSettings might have incorrect NewRoutePoint assignments. The green line from the car to the next point does not look correct. I would recommend checking the settings when the green line does not draw to the next point when the car reaches a waypoint. In some cases it looks like the green line is pointing to a completely different route point.

22. SarhanSoft

SarhanSoft

I have try to switch off gizmo but these box still not hide.
    upload_2021-4-10_15-2-35.png

in Scene window
    and in Game window
    even if i start play mode

23. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Those are actually Mesh Renderers, not gizmos. You can disable them on the spawned object in the scene, and/or on the prefab so they are disabled by default if you like.

CarAIWaypoint.jpg CarAIWaypointPrefab.jpg

SarhanSoft likes this.
  24. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.8.21 submitted.

• Fixed a bug where the EventSystem component would produce warnings in Unity 2020.x and 2021.x
    • Fixed a bug where the welcome window would not be displayed

25. tulldog65

tulldog65

hey Stephen--really fantastic base for a racer-- great asset game pack! I re-skinned a version with new art, animation and character content, env's, etc--but tried upgrading my project to 2020.3 and can no longer get cameras to run now, and i think there was some API upgraders that borked what you had setup--lemme know if you have any solutions or possible upgrades available
    thanks again--
    Dave

26. tulldog65

tulldog65

here is the exception error I'm getting btw: IOE_error_racer_01.PNG

27. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I just downloaded and imported the asset to latest version of 2020.3 and it works as expected. It sounds like your project doesn't have the Input Manager enabled for some reason, you can enable this in Project Settings > Player ? Active Input Handling:
    InputHandling.jpg

28. wingman103

wingman103

Hi, I wanted to ask can we use Logitech steering wheel and paddles with this? also can we use VR mode in the game?

29. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I don't have any built in integrations for headset and steering wheel, but a user was able to get them working a few years back using this asset project, here's his demo:

You would need to adjust any scripts/input settings to use the wheel and headset inputs.

30. justmonotone

justmonotone

Would it be possible to allow only the Ai race with no player? Is it possible to adjust the speed and driveability of the cars/ai?

31. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Yes, you can do all AI races, though the UI logic is expecting a player. So you will likely have to do some custom scripting to trigger various show/hide screen functions, or create your onw UI to show what you want in this state, and transition out of the scene when a race is complete.

You can customize the default physics setting on rigidbody and wheel colliders, as well as setup custom profiles to control more options:
    AI Settinga.jpg

32. J_a_c_k

J_a_c_k

Hello

I have a question about the Arcade Racer: Racing Game Development Kit.
    I read ReadMe.txt.

The text states that the documentation and tutorials are available from "" URL "".
    When I accessed the URL, the link was broken.
    Where can I find documentation and tutorials?

33. Slashbot64

Slashbot64

same ... this is the input manager after importing into a clean project and clicking on import the standalone.. it asks to overwrite project settings but then seems like it doesn't bother adding the default stuff needed..

any support coming for the new input manager? Unity_Kd4HhBQ3WA.png

34. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Thanks for letting me know, I'll get that updated.

You can find the documentation included with the asset at: Assets\TurnTheGameOn\Documentation\Documentation.pdf

Video tutorials are listed on the store page.

35. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

When I import the project settings, I get the following setup:
    ImputManager.jpg
    You can try manually importing the input settings package, it's located at:
    Assets\TurnTheGameOn\Arcade Racer\ProjectSettings\Input\InputManager_Full_Standalone.unitypackage

The project will soon be re-written to use the new input system.

36. J_a_c_k

J_a_c_k

Thank you for your quick reply.
    I also want to learn a lot from the documentation.

37. Moe-Mogare

Moe-Mogare

What about PlayFab support for multiplayer & is it integrated with any engine such as GAMKE KIT CONTROLER so I can make a racing game with shooting or a moment where the character walks around before racing for storyline purposes

38. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Loving the asset so far. My only question was why don't you deprecate the existing asset and release a new edition at whichever price you want. I noticed you talking about this during the tutorial

Thank you for continuing to work on this ! I'm going to get setup soon

Stephen_O likes this.
  39. weblanzarote

weblanzarote

Hello! I am very satisfied with the purchase of this asset. But I have a question. I am trying to create a mobile version with Edy`s phisics, but I am finding it difficult. The mobile template does not seem to have integration with Edy and I cannot configure the windows standalone for mobile. I have imported Tools / TurnTheGameOn / ArcadeRacer / ProjectSettings / Import / MobileGameTemplate but then I don't see how to go from there. Is there a tutorial to help me get the mobile version working in standalone Windows template?

Stephen_O likes this.
  40. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Thanks for the request, I'll keep it in mind as I consider integrations for future updates.

41. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I created a mobile racing game template, and was working on a standalone racing game template, which is the only thing I have left to modularize from this package. Work and relocating kept me busy for a while, but I'm hoping to have the standalone released sometime after new year - at that point there will likely be a new bundle to replace this one.

42. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

You're correct, there is not currently support for Edy's with the mobile racing game template, support is only for the standalone game template. Thanks for your request, I will consider adding support for Edy's (and more vehicle physics) to the mobile package in a future update. I don't have an ETA, but this will likely happen soon after the new standalone template is published early next year.

43. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

So I'm actually noticing very bad performance with HDRP 12 and Unity 2021.2

Much slower than with IRDS( I've purchased every racing template at this point ). This happens even with the default sample race,

Can you look into what's going on here.

44. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Thanks for letting me know, the template was never tested with HDRP, but also has very little to do with custom rendering. I am surprised to here there are performance issues, standard pipeline runs very well. The only things that would not work well there, I assume, is the mirror system since each mirror is an extra camera (which would likely be taxing in HDRP), and the brake lights might need different scripting logic to work with the material syntax.

I did some build testing for benchmarks across 2019, 2020, and 2021, on fresh unity project with default settings. Here are my average fps results on the open world scene:

2019 LTS
    - 108 No Mirrors
    2019 LTS.jpg

2020 LTS
    - 90 No Mirrors
    2020 LTS.jpg

2021 Latest Tech
    - 81 No Mirrors
    2021 Tech.jpg

To me, these tests show a degradation of performance over new releases of Unity and HDRP versions - about 25% from 2019 - 2021. But I also notice an improvement in rendering quality. I did not dig into profiling, as I'm sure it's all related to rendering (meaning performance would be based on the art being rendered by the camera, and that cost is increasing for newer Unity versions), since the project itself does change, by the rendering pipeline does. There's not really much I can control when it comes to the cost of rendering, except provide more optimized car and scene models. I am working on a new version of the standalone project, it will likely be released early next year, and with it I will continue to focus on optimizations across the board where possible (scripting, demo assets, UI, etc).

One thing I did notice is I had a build error in there, and will push out a fix to resolve after this post.

45. unityaset

unityaset

How to add edy's physics mobile pack?

46. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

EVP integration is only for the standalone project.

47. Tempest99

Tempest99

Hi, as I only have a Logitech F710 controller, I've been trying and with no success to setup that controller, (not using the new Input Manager) I have also tried to use InControl from the asset store (especially as its under $10 atm) as that sees my controller perfectly, and would also allow other controllers, but I'm having trouble trying to use that within the player settings, I had the idea, apart from the keyboard, PS4 & Xbox to have a 4th in the dropdown for "Generic Controller" that the InControl asset takes care of, is this something you could help with? many thanks

48. LegoStarYT

LegoStarYT

theres a problem, when i go into the garage in game theres 4 cars and 2 of them show but 2 dont even know i can still buy all of them and customize them but 2 of the car models dont show. any fix?

49. risyalfebrianto97

risyalfebrianto97

hi @Stephen_O i'm interested in your asset, i want to know before buy it is the ai system good? is it customisable? can i implement my own physics for the ai? thanks in advance