Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

►► Arcade Racer: Racing Game Development Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Stephen_O, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Thank you for the advice, you nailed it, this is basically what I've been wrestling with, trying to break the chains and work on my own projects instead of trying to please everyone while feature creeping to a point where I have no time for anything else.

P3ndragonLLC and hopeful like this.
  2. fredastaire

fredastaire

Is there a way to have rolling starts with this system

also can I use outside physics based cars?

3. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

The template does not include a rolling start option and is not setup to support alternate physics without editing script logic.

4. flixtgi

flixtgi

Currently, the xbox one controller support does not work for me even after importing the xbox controller support. Also, the gas and brake sensitivity is off. How do I fix that?

5. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

You don't need to import the xbox controller support.

I'm not sure why it's not working for you, I just imported the package to Unity 2019.3.6, followed the setup instructions from the video and it's working fine for me.

Doing this sets up the project input

InputManager.png

6. Rontr0n

Rontr0n

Will there be mobile version?

7. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

The project can be used for mobile, a mobile car controller option is included and can be toggled on. Just that the UI is designed for desktop pc so it needs to be edited, and any scripts that set UI selection needs to be commented out.

Maybe in the future I will create one, but I don't currently have plans to do a mobile-ready out-of-the-box version.

8. davidrxz

davidrxz

Can I replace the current physics with Edy’s car physics? Can you make a quick tutorial on how to change physics?

9. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

The kit does not support alternate physics assets, you can only use the included physics.

10. JasonT4

JasonT4

It keeps crashing if running on a mobile device. Even if it could work, the mobile controller is hard to configure without proper documentation. If you don't intend to update this feature anytime soon, you could, at least stop advertising it.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  11. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hello, I don't believe I advertise mobile ready anywhere in the asset description. I do specifically mention that a windows game template is included which is primarily what this asset is. Most of the windows template assets used are a bit to heavy for mobile, and the game UI is not mobile ready, this is why I don't mention mobile. Recently I've been asked if I'll setup a mobile ready version, which is something I'm thinking about for a future update.

This project started as a mobile template 5 years ago, but evolved into something more robust through feature requests, that's why there's still an option to use the mobile UI. All of the code is optimized well enough to run on mobile devices, however the art content is not.

The detailed car model with interior is not optimized for mobile, nor is the city environment with terrain and vegetation. Much of the UI images are also a bit heavy. Using art content intended for mobile would help a lot in that regard. The heavy art is the likely the cause of the crash.

I had an email question about enabling mobile UI yesterday, I think it was you. If you are experiencing problems with the asset or have questions, feel free to ask. I do provide support if requested to help you get your project setup, and the feedback is always useful for future updates and change considerations.

12. youness2003

youness2003

Hi how I can change thid admob ads in
    Racing Game Template

13. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

There's no admob integration for this asset, or the previous Racing Game Template.

14. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Unity has recently made some changes to the asset upgrade system that allows publishers to unlock other asset packages when a specific asset is purchased, without charging for it.

Arcade Racer is basically a large project template with additional assets included. The original versions of Timers & Clocks, and NPC Chat will remain in the project for now since there are some significant changes to the new versions. IK Avatar Driver also became the base for Arcade Racer.

There may be some scenarios where a user wants to use a timer or create dialogue in another project, this allows you to only import the relevant asset for this purpose.

I've created a few new free upgrades for Arcade Racer users:

15. DarkCooker

DarkCooker

May I know if this system can support:

- multiple play over lans / wans ?

thanks very much

16. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hi, sorry, there's no support for multiplayer.

17. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.8.16 has been submitted.

• Added support for using Edy's Vehicle Physics as an alternate player controller with the Windows Game template.
    • Adjusted player prefab scripts to allow for easier player physics replacements and overrides of player functions.

18. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.8.17 submitted.

• Added EndRaceTrigger prefab to end races when player collides with it.
    • Added LoadRaceTrigger prefab to load races from open world when player collides with it.
    • Added OnTriggerEnter_TriggerEvent script to trigger custom functions when when player collides.
    • Fixed a bug where player car was allowed to drive before race starts.
    • Fixed a bug where EVP Sport Coupe II player car was missing the Player tag on its collider.
    • Fixed a bug where you could not unpause the game with pause key.
    • GameTemplate_Player.Instance is no longer set to null on disable.

19. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Does this asset support NWH Physics.

I've attempted to code my own integration with NWH and Racing Game Starter kit with very very mixed results

Basically cars randomly get stuck and I don't know if I can figure out why

20. Willbkool_FPCS

Willbkool_FPCS

It used to when I first bought it, I'm not sure now.

21. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

It's something I may add support for in the future, but it does not currently support NWH physics as an alternate vehicle controller.

The IK Avatar Driver has always supported NWH, but the game template does not.

Willbkool_FPCS likes this.
  22. Willbkool_FPCS

Willbkool_FPCS

That's right, when I bought it, it was IK Avatar Driver. Does that support NWH 2?

23. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I added a lot of content to this original package as free updates last year.

The new standalone version of IK Avatar Driver is free to existing users and does support NWH 2, just grab it as a free upgrade. There's a new dedicated forum for the avatar driver package too.

Apologies for any confusion; looking back.. I think I did the upgrade backwards.

Willbkool_FPCS likes this.
  24. Willbkool_FPCS

Willbkool_FPCS

That's very cool of you! That's all I really need, just to have a driver in various vehicles, and it's great that it works with NWH 2 as well. You have some awesome tutorials on your site for changing the character and vehicle to custom ones.

Stephen_O likes this.
  25. FriendShipAgain

FriendShipAgain

26. FriendShipAgain

FriendShipAgain

Now I think it would be better if you did a video tutorial of integrating another physic controller. After that, there will be no need for anyone to ask for other integrations, you can simply point them to video.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  27. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Unfortunately I don't currently own that asset or have enough resources available to purchase/test/integrate all the available car physics. However, I'm available for scripting related questions if you want to try to make your own integration, feel free to ask.

I don't think a video will be able to cover the edge cases that are required to be scripted for each different asset since there's no standard that developers follow; every physics asset is made and works differently so there's no way I can guarantee users will be able to create a custom integration on their own.

The main scripts that need to be edited to replace the player controller are:

CarAI
    GameTemplate_Player

If you'd like, you can import the EVP support package, reference the script changes, and compare the prefabs.

CarAI_EVP
    GameTemplate_Player_EVP

With EVP scripts, they derive from the base class and override the virtual properties/methods that reference the car controllers.

The recent update moved all input logic into the GameTemplate_Player script and any properties and methods that needed to be accessed were changed to virtual methods to allow for overriding the properties/methods to make references to the new car controller scripts.

In summary, you would need to edit those 2 scripts, or make 2 new scripts that derive from those classes, like I did with EVP, and create overrides for the virtual properties/methods as needed.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    FriendShipAgain likes this.
  28. chrislarabell

chrislarabell

I'm trying out the 2020.2 beta and am getting an error when importing Arcade Racer. Is the Boo.Lang library included somewhere? I am getting a type not found error. Thanks!

Stephen_O likes this.
  29. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Thanks for the heads up, I'll push a fix with next update. For now, you can edit the script around around line 5

Assets\TurnTheGameOn\Arcade Racer\Scripts\Editor\ExportOrImportPackages

Replace
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using Boo.Lang;
    With
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections.Generic;

30. chrislarabell

chrislarabell

Ah! Of course! Thank you!

Stephen_O likes this.
  31. facundogalella

facundogalella

Hi! a short question. I added the prefab AI_Car_driverLeft in my scene, works well but I haven't sound. Everything look well configures as come in the prefab, and the camera has an audio listener, but I doesn't hear anything. Should be configured something else?

Stephen_O likes this.
  32. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Thank you for the question, it's good feedback, as I could have better default settings for that prefab so audio works by default.

On the cars CarAudio script, make the following modifications:
    - Enable Set Audio Limit On Start
    - Set a value, something like 0.5, for Engine Volume Limit On Start

These changes will allow audio to be produced by that prefab.

33. facundogalella

facundogalella

Thank you!

Stephen_O likes this.
  34. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.8.18 submitted.

• Removed using Boo.Lang from an editor script causing error in Unity 2020.
    • Adjusted base AI_Car prefabs to have audio enabled by default.

35. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.8.18 is now available.

36. liaoyanyan857

liaoyanyan857

Hello author, I am a Chinese user. First of all, thank you for your plug-in. I think it's perfect. This plug-in has a very real analog car feel. Secondly, I think the animation of the steering wheel's hands may not look good. I changed it to DoTween, which is very natural after use, but I don't know if it is legal. (Google Translate) upload_2020-10-14_12-29-9.png

Stephen_O likes this.
  37. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hello, thanks for the insight about your changes and feedback. I'll give it a try soon, if I like it I can add a DoTween integration or replace the lerp function with something better.

Yes, you can change anything you like in your projects, with any Unity assets you use. This is the best part of using Unity.

38. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

blacksun666 likes this.
  39. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

40. FriendShipAgain

FriendShipAgain

Can we get a option to keeps the cars from flipping over? Also, the default physics feels like paper, tapping a wall or another car, the car spins out of control. Can we make the car feel like a actual arcade car in racing games. It feels like car simulator and "not a arcade racer game". I want to work with it, but I feel the default physics at least needs those 2 features/options. thanks.

edit: another option that will be nice is to force face ahead after a spin, it's a know feature in racing games, to keep the racing fast past.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    Stephen_O likes this.
  41. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Thanks for the feedback. Now that the mobile template is complete, I'll be spending some time on this kit soon, when I do I'll make spend some time improving the default collision physics so the cars feel like they have more weight.

42. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  43. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

NPC Chat 2.0.1 is now available, it's a free upgrade!

Some new features are Timeline and LipSync Pro integration, allows you to quickly create dialogue based cut-scenes.

44. claudius_I

claudius_I

Hello

from what I understand this asset uses your other assets and includes them for free, but what about "Simple Traffic System"?

thanks

45. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hello,

Yes there are a number of additional assets that are unlocked with purchase, but only what's listed, Simple Traffic System is not included with this pack.

46. claudius_I

claudius_I

I understand, but "Arcade Racer: Racing Game Development Kit" has a traffic system, is this a lite version of "Simple Traffic System"?

thanks

47. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

The traffic system that comes with Arcade Racer is similar, but not the same, STS was developed using this traffic system as a starting. STS uses the job system for multithreading, most logic is processed through a single controller, and is a bit more optimized because of this - this traffic system is 100% monobehavior based. STS also has many editor tools while this one does not. In a way, yes it is a lite version with fewer features, but they are also very different because of the details noted.

claudius_I likes this.
  48. claudius_I

claudius_I

I get it. Are these assets compatible with each other? Which do you think is better to use Arcade Racer: Racing Game Development Kit alone or together? (if they are compatible)

49. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

They are able to be used together, the code is in separate name spaces, and the assets don't share any GUIDs.

If you have a small city scene, and a decent performance budget (example midrange pc), then arcade racer traffic will do just fine. You can expect to run the same amount of cars as the PC demo, about 100.

If you want more cars, and some advanced features like pooling and editor tools to help build and edit the routes, or need better performance for something like mobile or webgl, then STS is a better option for traffic.

claudius_I likes this.
  50. rohitpradeep

rohitpradeep

Hi Stephen,
    I am interested in this asset and had a few questions -
    1. How does the open world racing work ? In your update 1.8.17 you mentioned you have triggers placed to load races. So does one have to create specific circuits tracks or A to B points across the world with triggers for each ? If so how are these tracks saved ?
    2. In the mobile template, would it be possible to add an auto accelerate option, since many games nowadays have this option.
    3. Can we add multiple or alternate routes for the AI to take randomly, example few ai go through dirt road and some on main road in a race ?
    4. Does the player & AI cars have nitro capabilities ? I could not find in the description about this. If not, possible to add this feature in a future update?
    5. Do you have plans to add multiplayer for this asset in the future ? Any roadmaps you have currently planned so that we have an idea on how much more awesome this asset would be :D ?