Search Unity

►► Arcade Racer: Racing Game Development Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Stephen_O, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Thanks for testing and feedback!

The blank window is actually the welcome window, it's fully loaded after all importing completes. The InitializeOnLoad attribute does not work to open this when an asset is imported, so I've setup a OnPostprocessAllAssets callback to make sure the window loads the first time a user imports the asset. I'll try to setup a solution for it to open after importing completes instead of when it starts. This is not currently a high priority for me, but it's on my list of stuff to improve.

I'm using 2019.2.5 for my testing lately, the only error I get after import is about a missing tree from the terrains - I'll sort that out.

I was able to reproduce the minimap error by quickly stopping the open world scene after pressing play, I've added null checks so it won't execute that line unless it exists - I believe this happened because the minimap canvas setup coroutine did not complete and was not fully loaded and assigned before the scene stopped.

Most of the cleanup from the racing system is complete, I'll do a tutorial on it next. Then I'll begin work on the championship race mode.

2. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I found some spare time so I fixed the bug with the blank window. I'll submit these fixes tonight.

catchmani likes this.
  3. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.8.6 submitted.

• Fixed a bug where the welcome window would open before asset import was complete.
    • Fixed a bug where pressing play mode and immediately stopping it in the open-world or race scenes would cause a null reference error on the MiniMap_Object script.
    • Raised player vehicle body collider ro prevent car from getting stuck on some curbs.
    • Add new layer 'MiniMap'. Setup minimap environment textures on a plane in open world and race scenes. Set minimap camera to only render this layer, this resulted in a large performance gain for open world.
    • Setup new tree prefab in demo scenes (only using 1 more-optimized tree prefab now).
    • Updated 'Standalone Game Template' to Beta 0.7

catchmani likes this.
  4. catchmani

catchmani

that's awesome! thanks for the quick fixes, will check when available :)

Stephen_O likes this.
  5. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.8.6 is now available.

I've done a fair bit of optimization and cleanup this week; unless new bugs surface, the next few updates will be new features!

6. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.8.7 submitted.

• Fixed a bug where an index out of range exception error could be thrown after winning a race.
    • Fixed editor waypoint script missing waypoint gizmo references.

New Quick Race Customization Tutorial:

catchmani likes this.
  7. catchmani

catchmani

v1.8.6 looks cool.. didn't get any errors. thanks :)

Stephen_O likes this.
  8. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

1.8.7 is now available!

I'm adding PS4 controller support as an option for the standalone game template - this will make the new template support the 3 most common types of player input (Keyboard, Xbox One & PS4 Controllers) out of the box with the next update!

9. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

1.8.8 has been submitted.

• Added opponent icons to race minimap.
    • Added PS4 controller support as an option for the standalone game template.
    • PlayerInputSettings scriptable object profile now contains InputModuleSettings for UI and pause buttons.
    • UISelectionManager now uses PlayerInputSettings scriptable objects instead of its own data array for setting StandaloneInputModule EventSystem values.
    • PauseMenu open/close input is now set by UISelectionManager instead of its own inspector value.
    • Exposed minimap camera size to OpenWorldManager; set on start.
    • Updated standalone game template to beta 0.8

catchmani likes this.
  10. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Thank you for the feedback on the beta and feature request.

Championship mode was requested the most as the next game mode to add in the forum poll. I still have a few modes with some votes that should come next..

Can you please explain what features you would like to see in your 'arcade mode' and how it works? Perhaps I will consider adding it to the poll. Also, the race system is very open and modular, so it would not be hard to script custom race modes.

This is available now, there's an object in the race scene called 'ResetPlayerToLastWaypoint', you can set the key you want to use reset the player car there.

11. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.8.9 submitted.

• Standalone game template updated to beta version 0.9
    • Added Championship Series racing mode; create a series of races with any amount of laps for each race. Points are awarded based on finish position after each race. Series standings are shown after each race. Final series standings are show after the last race, the player receives a prize if their rank is high enough to receive a reward.
    • Improved UI design for standalone game template.
    • Renamed some racing scripts and template scene objects.

12. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Thanks for the details and examples, this really helps me understand what you're trying to achieve; often times someone may request a feature and my interpretation is different than what they would expect.

This is clear, I think I can do something like it - I'll add it to the poll. This is actually very similar to the recently added championship mode (except without ranking the racers after each race).

Just to note: It's possible to make new modes like this without much work if you wanted to create your own modes with some custom scripting. I created classes that makes getting and setting template data very easy for users who are comfortable scripting their own systems and game modes, or looking to build their own content from scratch using the default race template scene as a base.

This can be done, but is something that must be custom scripted. Player and AI car prefab systems are not tied into game code, but rather use a single script at the root of the prefab to work together. This will make changing them much easier compared to the old template. As far as the race scenes are concerned the player is just an object with a collider and GameTemplate_Player script attached, while the AI is just an object with a collider using the GameTemplate_AI script.

The player car prefab uses a script called GameTemplate_Player, when the player car is loaded into a race or garage scene this script is what is used to make scene specific changes to the prefab as it's loaded.

Any systems in the game template scenes that need to talk to the player prefab go through this script - so any car prefab specific settings not available in your own controllers will need to be hooked up on your own through this script.

The car camera and UI is part of the included car controller prefab - so you will need to cover those areas too (most physics player controller systems included their own UI and camera).

AI Racer Opponents are mostly the same, using the GameTemplate_AI, when the AI car is loaded into a race scene this script is what is used to make scene specific changes to the prefab as it's loaded.

Replacing the AI car prefabs would mean you need to have an AI System for your new physics controller to use - the included AI only works with the included AI car controller.

HiroToshi694 and jase66 like this.
  13. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Correct, to me a new mode might be as simple as adding a new option menu button, making some script changes to existing systems, and exposing new settings or scriptable objects as configuration options to make it work.

14. marcell123455

marcell123455

Hi Stephen,

I thought about getting the racing game kit, but it's with 232€... in my case, too pricey, because I would just need the racer ai, positioning system / race types, and maybe the traffic system. Did you thought about releasing a lite version?

Thank's

15. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hi marcell123455,

The price is primarily based on the amount of time it took to create the AI and racing systems, and what they're capable of.

All other content, like the the rest of the game template, is used as a demo of what can be achieved with the main modular systems (AI racers/traffic and racing systems); it can be a starting point for prototypes or reference.

My goal is to continue improving these systems; maybe when I feel they are done I might make break the asset up into individual packages, but that's not in my current plans.

marcell123455 likes this.
  16. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.8.9 is now available!

Version 1.8.10 will add the new arcade mode menu option that was discussed last week. I'll post details when it's submitted later tonight or tomorrow.

jase66 likes this.
  17. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.8.10 submitted.

• Updated game template to beta 0.10
    • Added knockout timer as a race option - the player will lose the race and series if it reaches 0. Created Checkpoints and CheckpointManager system to add time when a checkpoint is reached.
    • Added Arcade Mode option to main menu - A series of races with a knockout timer, increase time with each checkpoint reached. Run out of time and lose. Earn points on your finsih position for each race. The top racers will earn a reward at the end of the series.
    • Fixed wrong way message appearing offscreen.
    • Removed the need to assign race data to a game template race scenes.
    • Removed the need to assign playervehicle data to game template scene systems.
    • Race data is now loaded from the RaceDataManager object, setup in the main menu by default.
    • Player vehicle data is now loaded from the PlayerVehicleManager object, setup in the main menu by default.
    -- Note: these scenes can still be used without the main menu by manually adding the required managers.

18. chrislarabell

chrislarabell

I'm still on 1.8.9, so maybe you fixed this. When I open the Completed Traffic Tutorial scene and press play, the cars go in a circle around the first waypoint and then crash into each other. I don't have layers 30 and 31 set up if this is the cause, because I am already using those layers for another asset. If this is the cause, where can I update the layer reference numbers. Thanks!

Attached Files:

19. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I just pulled the package into a fresh project (2019.2.0), did not import any project settings or make any changes and that scene is working fine.

The layers are only required for obstacle avoidance by changing lanes - this feature is not used in that scene. Here's some info about how the layers are used: https://www.turnthegameon.net/manuals/unity-asset-store/1/en/topic/tagmanager

20. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.8.11 has been submitted.

• Updated standalone game template to beta 0.11.
    • Added video tutorials link to welcome window.
    • Improved welcome window layout; reduced dead-space and window size.
    • Fixed material flickering in open world demo scene.
    • Added customization menu to garage scene.
    • Added body color to customization menu.
    • Added window tint color to customization menu.
    • Added rim color to customization menu.
    • Added neon lights to customization menu.

21. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Arcade Racer is 50% off this week.

22. psikotropico

psikotropico

Just purchased! Thanks a lot for the discount. :)

Stephen_O likes this.
  23. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Only the avatar is currently supported to be used with RCC, here's the tutorial: https://www.turnthegameon.net/manua.../tutorial-avatar-rig-realistic-car-controller

Once I finish with the template beta, I will setup a basic workflow to replace the player prefabs with RCC vehicle prefabs for it.

I don't have plans to allow the AI to control RCC.

24. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.8.12 submitted.

This update mostly focused on bug fixes and script, asset and prefab optimizations; a lot of small changes helped provide a small performance boost.

• Added option to set volume limit on IKDVC_Audio script; this allows AI vehicles to set their own volume level on start.
    • Added option to set idle engine revs on IKDVC_Audio script; this allows the car to have an idle engine sound.
    • Set canPause to false after completing a race; this fixes a bug where the pause screen could be opened after completed a race.
    • Reset all prefabs to 0,0,0.
    • Added colliders to garage and other misc prefab objects.
    • Changed NPC Chat demo scene character controllers to use keycode.space instead of jump button; fixes missing jump input manager setting error after configuring the project for use.
    • Adjusted misc texture sizes and settings; reduced package size.
    • Fixed waypoint arrow mesh improper orientation; removes the need for a pivot.
    • Rebuilt a more optimized car mesh collider for player and AI prefabs; greatly improves behaviour of physics collisions.
    • Removed all unnecessary objects and components from AI_Car_LeftSteering_Traffic_FullyOptimized prefab.
    • Optimized AI, and other misc scripts scripts.
    • Misc optimizations to various prefabs.
    • Added AI editor gizmo toggle to AISettings.

25. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

1.8.13 submitted.

• Major file cleanup, naming conventions improved, some refactoring and unused code/file removal.
    • All scripts moved to TurnTheGameOn.ArcadeRacer namespace.
    • Updated most existing documentation to match new file names, locations and visual appearance.
    • All game template only files moved to new Game Template directory.
    • Removed beta tag from project data.

Some documentation may still be inaccurate or incomplete, I'm currently working on finishing it and creating new tutorials to match final organizational, naming and visual changes and bring it fully up to date.

26. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

1.8.14 submitted.

• Moved Options_SetTransmission script logic to GameTemplate_Player script for demo simplicity.
    • Moved player car customization logic to it's own GameTemplate_PlayerCustomization script.
    • Cleanup GameTemplate_Player script and inspector.
    • Disable dashboard UI on AI_Car_LeftSteering_Racer prefab by default for improved performance.

New Tutorials

catchmani likes this.
  27. catchmani

catchmani

Hi!

Asset store still shows 1.8.13, will try new update when it's available.

So, howz things with adding new features
    • Map to Race events
    • Dialogues to Race events
    Much appreciate if you could speed up the process for adding these.. been waiting for a long time :)

Also, can use help with integrating some features from Unity Karting Microgame
    • Speed Pads
    • Sparkling Particle Effects for tires
    • Sparking effects on colliding
    • Custom triggers events
    Please share your thoughts and also about the planned updates.

Thanks!

28. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Unfortunately I can't make the asset store approve my updates faster..

I'm not sure what map to race events means, there's no map menu in the included game template. I'm not planning on adding one.

I've planned on setting up a tutorial for using NPC Chat to load a race from the open world scene in the template, that will come once the template portion of the asset is out of beta.

This was a 4 year project. I've worked very hard (thousands of hours) to bring the asset to this state over the last 2 years and have provided free updates to every user, I consider it feature complete at this point. There are almost no sales this year, so I'm basically working for free and have been for the last year; I'm not sure how much harder or faster you want me to work, it sounds like you want me to create more custom feature requests related to your need added ASAP.

The goal of the asset is not to provide a full complete game for you to re-skin, but instead to provide a set of systems that can be used to create games (AI cars, traffic system, menu examples, controller input examples, race system, dialogue system, timer system). These are the underlining systems that can be used to add content to a project, it's up to you to use them how you see fit and create your own game.

There are currently no known bugs. I'm finalizing documentation and tutorial content for the new template portion of the asset, and making any optimizations as I go. Once documentation is complete I will remove the beta tag from the new template.

I will continue to take feedback, maintain, and improve the asset as I have been over the last 4 years since the original Racing Game Template's release. Please don't drop me a list of 6 new features and ask me to help you integrate them for free at an accelerated development pace.

hopeful likes this.
  29. catchmani

catchmani

It's actually the World scene not the Map..

I really appreciate the effort that you've put through over the years for improving the template, thank you so much. :)

Guess you've read my lines wrong, I should have been more specific.. I have not asked directly to "Integrate additional features" just can use some help on how to do those. Like, what scripts can be changed to get those effects.

Thanks!

30. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Most of these are related to adding custom features, which means you can approach it in whatever way works best for you. Nothing on the player prefabs would prevent you from adding your own scripts for these features - which is how I would recommend. It sounds like OnCollisionEnter is what you're looking for.

If you want to do custom trigger events, this is part of the asset, use NPC Chat. There are tutorials and documentation in the user manual that describe how it works. Specifically: https://www.turnthegameon.net/manuals/unity-asset-store/1/en/topic/trigger-area

catchmani likes this.
  31. maciej116

maciej116

Hello, I am wonder if you planning to add network multiplayer and split screen mode? This template with these features would be fantastic.

32. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hello, I've thought about split screen multiplayer, but it would likely be a while before I would start development it if I do decide to add it.

I don't have any plans for networked multiplayer.

33. catchmani

catchmani

Hi!

Need help with 2 things..
    • How to rescale the Car view? Like getting it to a miniature level with environment being bigger.
    • When reversing, camera moves to the front until backing up.. how to disable this please.. it has to be the same front on view
    thanks

34. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

The project was built to a real world scale, I'm not sure how physics or AI would react to making these objects smaller. You can open the player prefab and change the transform scale, something like 0.1 x, y, z to make the car 10x smaller. But I might guess that making your environment bigger would cause fewer physics or AI issues.

Open the CarCamera script and comment lines 118-123 and line 125.

catchmani likes this.
  35. catchmani

catchmani

Hi!

Scaling the car has somewhat worked, had to make changes to Camera parameters like Height, Distance to get a decent view. Have some trouble when turning, for now Scene is playable.. with many items in scene also checking if making Environment bigger makes it easier.

Made changes to the CarCamera Script, it now shows the front view when backing up.

Thanks for those suggestions :)

Need more help,
    • How to change Speedometer? Can numbers be displayed instead of the pic..
    • Change Race starting.. how to add a cut scene or a number sequence

Thanks!

36. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Open the Player Car HUD - Canvas prefab and disable/remove the UI pieces you don't want.

Set the RaceData Pre Race Time value to as much time as you need for your intro. Write a custom script with the logic you need to do what you want during pre race count down.

catchmani likes this.
  37. catchmani

catchmani

Hi!

that was easy.. removed images relating to UI.. only Number looks good. Thanks for the input. :)

Had some trouble with my system.. so a lot of rework and time to get back..

38. Justin_Wingfall

Justin_Wingfall

anyway you could do a video on how to add custom controllers, that's originally what I bought this template for when it was promised. I left a 5 star rating anyways, at least you could do is meet me half way. this is not a attack, but I know you have the knowledge at least walk us through the steps in a video.Maybe a custom way point system script from the AI, or something, anything.....It dont have to be detail to the extreme, but it's better then nothing. thanks.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  39. catchmani

catchmani

Hi!

These Vehicle Customization options are not working on the new added cars.. am I missing anything which connect these?

Also, options relating to Vehicle Performance be included? Like Speed, Acceleration.. I suppose RGT has these right?

Going through YouTube videos, came across your interview on Twitch which is close to 3hrs. I joined the Live session for about an hour.. glad that full view video is available. You shared some good insights and I think it is important that you share that video here and across all your platforms, everyone will learn a lot from watching that. :)

vehicle customization.JPG

40. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I created a long-form detailed tutorial that covers most all basic setup to get project up and running.

You're missing the customization scripts on the body parts.

This page will help you customize the car:

https://www.turnthegameon.net/manuals/unity-asset-store/1/en/topic/player-vehicles

This video details player car customization at the 7:06 timestamp, it's from the documentation linked above and should point you to the scripts you need to add.

That feature is not included, I had more plans for the template, but sales have gone flat and have been for sometime now. I can't continue investing this much development time without making any new sales.. I made $35 from unity store last month, that's almost nothing, there was a time when I earned much more, enough to make it worthwhile to continue development. I wish I did not listen to bad advice from the publisher forums that said most publishers should raise their prices (Unity staff said that, so I thought it must be true) :(. I believe that was the final nail in the coffin. I apologize if some users are not happy about my decision. With low sales over the last 2 years and the now non existent sales, I'm not happy either; I really enjoyed working on this project, I thought when I got to this point sales would increase.

41. catchmani

catchmani

Hi Stephen,

I liked your work right from the start I got RGT 2 years ago..

It's unfortunate what has happened and even at this point you've shared that long 1hour video detailing all the aspects of the asset which shows your commitment.

I really looked forward for more improvements. Can totally understand the circumstances if you will not be able to provide further development.The asset is in a good state, can be a made to be a good game which will generate a decent amount. It's the time I've waited, that a little disappointment. Anyways, things happen and we cant always expect in our favor.

It's still great to know you, following your development logs. Will try to support you on Pateron, maybe not right away but definitely soon. Best wishes ahead for the New Year :)

Cheers!!!

42. marcell123455

marcell123455

Is the new traffic system asset released yet?

43. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

marcell123455 likes this.
  44. Justin_Wingfall

Justin_Wingfall

oh yea, ignore my comment. Going to my sure I I change my rating and warned others. This is the main reason why pirates exist because of bad practices like this. Here I am, supporting your product, and still leaving a 5 star rating, even though you still went back on your promise on support other custom vehicles, and all I ask is a simple video on a walk though / tutorial and you still ignored me? Ok then...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  45. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I'm sorry you feel this way, but I simply don't have the will to write an asset integration for other physics packages, I've clearly stated the reasons why and did not think this needed further explanation. Piracy is a big part of the reason I have almost no sales for this package. I have more pirate support requests than customer support requests. Maybe if some of those pirates paid and did not upload my latest work immediately after updates it would've helped the project be more successful. Blackmail for features is also something I've experienced since I first started this project 4 years ago, it really sucks as a publisher to experience this.

Willbkool_FPCS likes this.
  46. Justin_Wingfall

Justin_Wingfall

Pirating does suck, and the people who blackmailed you are A-holes. And no I'm not going to share your asset because I believe in karma. I was stating this is the main reason people pirate is because of practices like this. You made a DevLog not to long ago going over other stuff. It wouldn't have hurt to made a video throwing some pointers or whatever to help you supporters out. I never said write a intergation on other packages after you already said you didnt want to do it. Over time I was trying to meet you half way even though I'm the customer, but when I felt like I was being ignored, that was unacceptable.

47. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Just to follow up and clarify for anyone following the recent posts.

This asset is a full rewrite to the original racing game temple published 5 years ago, and was a free upgrade to everyone who purchased that asset as a token of my appreciation. I've always taken customer feedback into consideration and worked to improve and maintain the project over the years, and I still plan on maintaining the asset.

I did not make any promises during development of the remake. Realistic Car Controller integration is never something I advertised as a feature.

This was a requested feature for custom integration to use the Realistic Car Controller instead of the default car physics included with the example game template. I never once promised that I would make that integration, I did say I would try to develop this asset as cleanly as possible from a scripting perspective so that a custom physics integrations would be possible without too much work if you know how to edit scripting logic and project settings. I was recently asked by this reviewer to include the RCC integration by default but declined. Then I was asked again to instead make a video to show how, and I declined, this would mean I actually have to make the integration.

I don't believe it's fair to try to box me into a corner like this, drop a bad review with 1 star, tell people not to support me, put words into my mouth that I never said, and use that as a basis to blackmail me like this in order to do custom work for free.

Anyone who's taken enough interest to work with the project and contact me for support to help work through their own project issues has always been helped to get where they want to be, the difference here is each of those users too the initiative to dig in and ask specific questions and work to get to their goal.

It's the people trash talking me and blackmailing me over the years I've worked on this project that has taken the biggest toll on my morale.

Rontr0n, blacksun666 and chrisk like this.
  48. hopeful

hopeful

A few bad experiences can really bring your spirits down. Most people are fine, but some people can be exceptionally difficult.

To some extent, everyone in business has to have a good defense, good boundaries.

I wish you the best. Try to shrug off what you can, and take action on the rest.

Stephen_O likes this.
  49. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Thank you for the thoughtful comment, you're very much correct. I'm working on trying to not let bad experiences and what people think or do get to me as much.

50. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

There will always be persons who want you to write their game, as a fellow publisher I know and I'm always very clear on this. Advice I can give, but the actual programming must be done by them. It did already cost me quit some sales but better so than have to work for free (as 'it would be nice ...' and not getting paid for your hard work).
    Get strength and joy from the possitive reactions to continue with the things you are willing to invest your time in.

hopeful and Stephen_O like this.