Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

►► Arcade Racer: Racing Game Development Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Stephen_O, Jan 21, 2016.

1. blanx

blanx

Placing waypoints via a spline curve dynamically makes it easy to change the amount of waypoints afterwards to have more soft steering. Otherwise we would have to add more points manually.
    This will also make the placement much more organic.
    I already made a conceptual version of this for us.

My next idea is to make some kind of trigger boxes to specify some kind of slow down regions. These boxes will modify the values of the waypoints in edit mode.
    We have to make a virtual test drive where we have to simulate some specific situations on the track where a car has to brake or speed up and so on. Would be to much work to do it on the waypoints themselves. Especially if we have to re do it because of changes in the track.

Stephen_O likes this.
  2. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I really appreciate your feedback and insight, thank you for this.

I'm also glad you were able to extend and create the systems you need, the goal with the design was to be open enough to allow for that - sounds like it worked for this custom case.

Once I get through the current development phase (menus and racing features for the template) I can take a look into a spline solution to auto plot the waypoints.

3. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

The new updates to the menu system were completed last night, I'll do some final testing to make sure there are no bugs, then submit tonight.

I'll take a look adding a waypoint via Alt+Click between to points, not sure if it will be in this submission if the function needs more dev time than I have available. I want to get something submitted before end of day to make sure the update is released this month, it sounds like there will be an asset store submission curation delay, so if I don't get it in before end of week (whatever that means..), it could be delayed up to 2 weeks and just sit waiting for delayed approval.

4. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.7.14 submitted

• Updated "Open World" game template to version 0.2.
    • Added user profiles (up to 4) to "Open World" game template for saving game progress.
    • Added vehicle selection screen to "Open World" game template.
    • Added currency system to "Open World" game template.
    • Improved menu layout for "Open World" game template.
    • Added option for click to insert waypoints in between two current points of a path. To inset press: (ctrl + alt + left click).
    • Removed waypoint route debug that caused spam messages to the console.

5. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I just added this feature in version 1.7.14, it should be available soon. If you want the update sooner email me.

To insert a route waypoint between 2 points, use:

Ctrl + Alt + LeftClick

6. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

7. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hi Everyone,

Development for the first type of race mode (Circuit) has been started, this should not take long, and will be available with the next update (version 1.8).

This mode will initially be added to a new "Races" menu that will be added to the "Main Menu" in the "Open World" game template - allowing the creation of simple circuit based race scenes.

Additional racing modes will be added over time, please participate in the forum poll if you'd like to vote on the next mode to be developed. You can also request features not listed in the poll.

Thanks
    - Stephen

Races.jpg

Circuit Race.jpg

8. catchmani

catchmani

Hi!

Races are different from the open world? We can be able to create a race within the open world right?

Thanks

Stephen_O likes this.
  9. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

As of right now, they are separate game scenes.

When the first race system is complete, I can use it to setup and load races into the open world scene.

catchmani likes this.
  10. catchmani

catchmani

Yep, that would be good. User should be able to choose a Quick Race or through the open world.

After v1.8 for racing systems, can you share any other feature updates? is the template gonna be like "Need For Speed" or further improve races.

Thanks

Stephen_O likes this.
  11. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I'll add the race modes listed in the poll and some more content and integrations to the open world (event triggers, nitro and currency pickups, etc) to create some example game-play.

The goal is to provide a base template that can be used for different types of games. All major systems are being designed to be modular, so you can use what you want.

catchmani likes this.
  12. catchmani

catchmani

Super! That's exactly whats required so we can be able to define our own gameplay.

Thanks!

Stephen_O likes this.
  13. Binary42

Binary42

Hi, would it be possible to get the networking from Arcade Racer back up into 2019 with a free/open scource Unity Networking implementation like mirror? (What would be the preferable solution imho, since its possible to build your own server with UNET)

Willbkool_FPCS and Stephen_O like this.
  14. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hello,

I believe I'm done doing anything UNET.

Deciding to work with it in the first place was a mistake, I did not think Unity would kill it right after creating it.

I spent a lot of time focused on learning and getting the base networking setup, instead of build other game-play features. Essentially deciding to work with UNET pushed me back a long way since anything learned or created is now unusable.

I don't want to invest any time building something that plugs into a 3rd party service that can get taken away again. From my experience it just leaves me with an asset I need to depricate.

In the future, I may create a modular addon using some networking solution (I really did enjoy UNET until it died); there's just too much ambiguity right now to invest time in the unknown. So I will be focus on actual gameplay features until I'm convinced there's a networking service that will stick around.

15. Binary42

Binary42

I totally get that, just had/have a similar experience with ECS which is wildly changing at the moment. So im sitting that one out until it settles. But if you say you did enjoy UNET, you maybe want to give it a second thought since many people still love it, it is open source now and maintained by a larger community. Maybe its worth keeping an eye on, so far it is not clear, where unity is going with networking and their own costly provided cloud services.

16. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I waited on learning ECS for just that reason, I think they almost have it all figured out.. Once that's working and out of preview I will use it for sure, I think it's the future of coding process intensive logic and allowing our content to properly scale up.

I want to believe Unity will eventually have a dedicated networking solution in their engine, that'e easy to use. I heard of some colab with Google a while back but did not look farther. Honestly, it's not clear at all what the future of networking is or will be with Unity. I'd really prefer what I use to be a Unity maintained system whatever I decide on so there's no 3rd party integration, setup or maintenance..

The only one I'd choose now is Photon, I used them in the past and it was a good experience, oddly they were here before UNET and are still here after. If I were to build a game right now, I'd go with Photon since they are the most established.

17. webxsp

webxsp

looks impressionnant. they can use a force Feedback?

Stephen_O likes this.
  18. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I don't have any force feedback built in, will look into it though. Thanks.

19. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.8 is almost ready, doing a final review - it should be submitted by the end of the week.

Here's the new windows standalone game template demo (version 0.3 beta): Download Link

catchmani likes this.
  20. catchmani

catchmani

Hi!

Menu and Race selections are working perfectly

3 things:

Wrong route detection not enabled?

While racing not able to control car properly, it's drifting side ways.. anything on this?

Please also include Reset to "last way point position" on one button click

thanks!

Stephen_O likes this.
  21. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hello.

Thanks for the testing and feedback!

That feature will be added in Arcade Racer 1.8.1 (beta 0.4 of the game template).

..I have artificial drag being applied when steering is > 0.5 or < -0.5 (sorry about that).

I had someone write me recently telling me the controls in the demo were hard to use (they wanted custom changes to make it PERFECT for mobile - I know that's ambiguous). So I tested something different with the default car setup for this build - I will revert this for the submission, and I just posted a new 0.3 beta build with the control reverted back to their previous state where the physics acted as expected (that way you can configure custom physics settings as needed).

Thanks for this feedback - I was hesitant to make this change initially.

Would this be a pause menu button you're looking for? If so, sure. That feature can be added in Arcade Racer 1.8.1 (beta 0.4 of the game template).

catchmani likes this.
  22. catchmani

catchmani

Hi!

It's not Pause, I suppose Esc button should take care of it.

Reset in a way like, if player is struck on sidelines for long time.. not able to turn back/get back on track.. clicking on a button say R, vehicle should be able to get back on the race track. Can this be done?

and thanks for noting the other two things.

Stephen_O likes this.
  23. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Currently escape is used to pause the game.

I can create a simple script that will do this, then you can hook it up to any key you want through inspector.

Thanks for describing it a bit more.

catchmani likes this.
  24. catchmani

catchmani

Yep.. that would be perfect. will be looking forward for the changes.

Stephen_O likes this.
  25. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Standalone game template beta v0.3 demo video:

26. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.8 submitted.

• Removed the public caution variable from AI cars and waypoints - setting a max speed limit is now used instead.
    • Fixed a bug where sometimes AI vehicles would drive slowly, and become stuck in that state.
    • Fixed a bug where an inaccurate warning would be displayed in console logs after Unity recompiles.
    • Updated the "Standalone Game Template" to beta version 0.3.
    • Added race mode "Quick Race". Use it with scriptable object profiles to create point-to-point or circuit/lap based races.
    • Improved UI layout for "Standalone game template".

jrg5923 likes this.
  27. Mojo-Game-Studio

Mojo-Game-Studio

Hi, really interested in this asset, as a pretty expert level c# developer what would be required to have the ik driver respond to the controllers of say an oculus rift device? And do you foresee any potential problems involved in making the asset work with a vr headset?

Stephen_O likes this.
  28. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hello ,

Here are some details about the avatar and a link to some documentation:

• Documentation
    • Steering animation is driven by an input axis (by default uses Horizontal).
    • Brake and Throttle feet/leg animations are driven by an input axis (by default uses Vertical).
    • Shifting (hand and feet) is triggered by a callback from the car's drive system script when gears change, the avatar script also has a bool that can be used to trigger shift.

I think in general it should be a clean implementation for vr (have not tested with VR myself), it really depends how much you want to customize from this default behavior. For the most part you can rewire the inputs to any axis.

Someone did this a while back with a very old version:

You can also drop the avatar into other vehicle controllers without much effort.

29. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.8 is now available!

30. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Wrong way warning message, waypoint arrow, and mini map are about done. I'm going to spend another day or so doing cleanup, testing, and then submit this with Arcade Racer version 1.8.1.

Arrow and Wrong Way Detection.jpg

31. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.8.1 submitted.

• Updated the "Standalone Game Template" to beta version 0.4
    • Setup minimap spawn options for race data (toggle on/off, and setFixedRotationAndPosition toggle with values). Use these to control how the minimap is used for races.
    • Setup waypoint arrow options for race data (toggle on/off).
    • Setup wrong way detection options for race data (toggle on/off, initializationDelay).
    • Added "Reset To Previous Waypoint" script for race scenes, checks for a key press, then resets the player car to the last waypoint reached.

facundogalella and catchmani like this.
  32. catchmani

catchmani

Hi!

Version 1.8.1 works perfectly, my previous mentioned 3 things are solved.

Especially "Reset" is working good. Thanks for implementing it quickly :)

Three things more... for now these are not affecting the game play.
    • Scenes are loading slowly, way too slowly.. might be because of my PC configuration?
    • Esc is not working when playing through Editor, haven't yet checked after build.
    • Console is displaying this recurring error.
    Please share your thoughts, thanks!

ar.PNG

Stephen_O likes this.
  33. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Great.

For me, this only happens in the editor (so I consider it editor overhead), unity doing what it needs to do.. this is also only happening when the city scene loads; likely due to the demo art - it's not optimized well, just good enough for an example demo (I assume everyone will replace it and make their own open world). When you replace the environment art with optimized asset store art (or your own) the scene will load faster - and you can load your art in whatever way you need (additive scenes, asset bundles, etc).

The built project demo loads the open world scene on my machine in under 4 seconds (I don't consider that too bad considering I know art is not production ready).

Both of these are likely due to not importing project settings for initial Game Template setup. This requires selecting a menu command for each of the required project settings.

• Tools > TurnTheGameOn > Arcade Racer > Import > InputManager > Keyboard_And_XboxOneController
    • Tools > TurnTheGameOn > Arcade Racer > Import > TagManager
    • Tools > TurnTheGameOn > Arcade Racer > Import > EditorBuildSettings
    Soon I will setup a launch window that will display useful setup info, and consolidate the the setup process to a single button push on it.

You can read more info about the Game Template in the docs: https://www.turnthegameon.net/manuals/unity-asset-store/1/en/topic/windows-standalone

Thanks for your feedback!

catchmani likes this.
  34. catchmani

catchmani

Hi!

yea, slow loading is due to the assets in the demo scene.. guess we have to keep up with it till there is a decent overall framework :)

and other two things.. for the Input manager I was using only Keyboard.. changing that to Keyboard_And_XboxOneController solved the Esc and Compiler errors.

So it's all perfect now, will be waiting for further updates. Thanks :)

Stephen_O likes this.
  35. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Great, I'm glad you're up and running!

The setup window I'll add should fix setup issues - It will be added in next version.

36. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.8.2 submitted.

• Added 'Welcome Menu Window' to auto launch with asset import or project open. Use this menu to 1-click configure 'Game Template Project Settings', or link to documentation, discussion forum and request support.
    • Updated 'Standalone Game Template' to Beta 0.5.
    • Fixed a bug where the player HUD would not be disabled in race scenes when entering helmet camera mode.

This new welcome window should make starting fresh with the asset a bit easier:
    ArcadeRacer_WelcomeWindow.jpg

catchmani and blacksun666 like this.
  37. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

New video for Beta 0.5 of game template:

38. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.8.2 is now available!

39. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Willbkool_FPCS and catchmani like this.
  40. catchmani

catchmani

Stephen_O likes this.
  41. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

42. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

chrisk likes this.
  43. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

New tutorial for standalone game template project setup.

catchmani likes this.
  44. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I found the cause of this. For some reason the demo scene had about 30mb of extra data - creating a new scene and moving the original objects into it fixed it.

My guess was this came from the use of some editor dev tools (pro builder, easy roads, or any other tool I may have used while making the art) or it came from upgrades between unity versions.. I did not actually go into the data and read it all so I have no idea what the exact cause was..

I'll be submitting that fix tonight.

Thanks for the feedback!

catchmani likes this.
  45. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.8.3 submitted.

• Removed Legacy 'Racing Game Template' support package.
    • Add more cars to 'AI_Demo_MultipleLanes' scene.
    • Optimize 'Racing City' scene and all scene variants (including 'open world' from standalone game template).
    • Removed the builtin pit stop feature from AI Waypoint Routes, this feature is unnecessary, it only bloats the core AI logic for a particular use case that can more easily be custom scripted with the available options.
    • Fixed a bug where the welcome window would always launch after importing files.
    • Updated 'Standalone Game Template' to Beta 0.6.

46. catchmani

catchmani

That's cool, will check when update is available. thanks :)

Stephen_O likes this.
  47. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.8.3 is now available!

48. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

New tutorial for adding player cars to the game template.

Minor changes to scriptable object naming in this video were just submitted as version 1.8.4

49. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.8.5 submitted.

• Renamed game template racing scripts and scriptable objects.
    • Optimized racing scripts.
    • Optimized quick race scenes.
    • Optimized open world scenes.
    • Created fully optimized AI traffic car prefab for open world game template scene.
    • Removed legacy IK Driver package for Unity 5.6 due to multiple customers receiving the wrong package.
    • Removed old AI_MultipleLanes; it's replaced by the quick race scenes.
    • Removed unused assets.

catchmani likes this.
  50. catchmani

catchmani

Hi!

Version 1.8.5 - works cool. Can see some improvement in scene loading. (Open world first time it still opens a little slow, after that it's good)

Two things: these are not affecting the game play, maybe due to unity version? I'm using 2018.4.8f1
    • when importing, a small blank window opens up obstructing the view
    • and then there is a error in console
    All scenes are playable and smooth, looking forward for more updates. :)

Thanks

ar1.PNG ar2.PNG ar3.PNG

Stephen_O likes this.