Search Unity

1. Looking for a job or to hire someone for a project? Check out the re-opened job forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Arcade Combat Flight Sim

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vstudios, Jan 2, 2012.

1. vstudios

vstudios

Hi guys, I'm fairly new around here so please excuse me if this is posted in the wrong forum.

Please allow me to introduce myself and what we do.

We are a small development studio that have been developing aircraft for M$ Flight Simulator X for around 5 years. Most of our aircraft around 180k poly's including cockpit and external models.

I've been trying to read between the lines from other forum posts and some areas are still a little vague.

Ive been playing with the idea of designing a "arcade combat flight sim" However there's a few areas I'm unsure of and that's the size of the scenes that a medium spec pc can handle. With it being aircraft based the ideal map size would be around 10km maximum.

Lastly the most important aspect for me being an aircraft fan is how far dare we push the poly counts per aircraft. In foresight I don't think they'll be more than 20 aircraft at any one time. I've read a few posts on poly counts and people tend to stick around 3k poly's per aircraft. The aircraft built for unity would probably be 3 maps in total per aircraft - diffuse, bump and spec.

If anyone could give some insight into the scene sizes and poly counts per aircraft that would be a big help.

Thanks in advance.

2. Alex Mat

Alex Mat

Actually Unity handles huge polycounts really well, you need to keep in mind that draw calls are the most important. Less drawcalls = More happiness.

Draw calls are eventually counted as object_count x materials_per_object

Example : 30 MILLION Triangles spaceship http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULb4hcteIUo

Scenes can be huge but there is somewhere a limit, I believe it's 64k units or some other float / int precision limit.
    After this limit, your mesh will start deforming and stuttering if moving because of lack of precision

3. vstudios

vstudios

Hi Alex, This is indeed great news, we could possibly use some of our current models we have developed in the past.

How well does Unity cope with bump and spec maps.

Regards

4. Alex Mat

Alex Mat

Unity perfectly deals with bump and spec, but if I remember well, the spec map has to be the alpha of the diffuse.
    If you want it to be separate, I believe you could make a shader or modify the built in one.

unityunity