Search Unity

AR Remoting & Simulation

Discussion in 'AR' started by mfuad, Aug 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unnanego

unnanego

No.

2. jgmakes

jgmakes

Come on team! You can do it! You have a lot of folks waiting who will be super happy for your efforts :)

And don't sit on it too long. It's definitely going to shake things up when the WebXR Hit Test API is standardized across the browser ecosystems. Seems surprisingly performant on Chrome 81 at the moment on a mid range Android device. And honestly, I will be thankful to easily pop open the standard browser debugging tools and just have stuff working as expected.

3. Scrapemist

Scrapemist

4. cecarlsen

cecarlsen

Visionary and inspiring. But somehow, I am left with a troubled feeling as I watch the ships take off towards Mars. Are the problems here on Earth being addressed?

This weekend, I wanted to experiment with AR Foundation on iOS and was surprised to find how the ease of development has regressed since last time I worked with handheld AR, perhaps three years ago. At that time the Unity remote app worked great for testing interaction before building. Also, coming straight from an Oculus Quest project, where Oculus Link makes development a pure joy, returning to iOS is just not fun.

I'll put my AR experiments on ice and wait for better days.

linojon likes this.
  5. BBIT-SOLUTIONS

BBIT-SOLUTIONS

Yes, i guess we all feel you.

At the moment it is definitely easier, faster and more comfortable to use native ARCore (in Unity) than AR Foundation. Also just went back to it last week after waiting for ARFoundation for a few months now. And have to say, it is still same (or even better) quality than 3 years ago. ;-)
    So, you could also maybe give it a try instead of completely putting your experiments on ice.

Can't tell about iOS, but you also could maybe try to use pure ARKit instead.

cecarlsen likes this.
  6. henriqueranj

henriqueranj

The pure ARKit integration for Unity was developed and maintained by Unity themselves. They deprecated this plugin since June 2019 in favor of maintaining only ARFoundation, and thus it only supports ARKit 2.0 features.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    BBIT-SOLUTIONS likes this.
  7. Thimo_

Thimo_

@mfuad Your latest update on this thread was on 5 december 2019. Do you have more details about the remoting tool for AR Foundation or is it completely pushed to the MARS release. A status update would be appreciated!

8. Alexis-Dev

Alexis-Dev

A piece of information in this post !

cecarlsen likes this.
  9. cecarlsen

cecarlsen

"It's being worked on but we don't have any dates or announcements to share around that currently."

Well, at least it is still being worked on.

10. yty

yty

Will ar remote continue to develop?

I downloaded unity2020.2 and still don't have it...

MilenaRocha and unnanego like this.
  11. mistergreen2016

mistergreen2016

newguy123 likes this.
  12. mfuad

mfuad

Unity Technologies

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.