Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

AR Remoting & Simulation

Discussion in 'AR' started by mfuad, Aug 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mranger

mranger

Getting this is critical. What are you doing Unity?

unnanego likes this.
  2. unnanego

unnanego

Come on, guuuuuys!

3. GKiernozek

GKiernozek

community: "(yಠ,ಠ)y" ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ meanwhile in Unity: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4. mistergreen2016

mistergreen2016

My Guess is remoting wont be out till unity 2020.x

enhawk, Thimo_ and unnanego like this.
  5. MVRKHQ

MVRKHQ

Big bump on this for at least an answer and a better sense of the timeline on this *super critical* addition.

6. unnanego

unnanego

PLEEEEAAAAAASEEEEEE

7. Culzean

Culzean

+1 from me. A update on this feature is critical. Without this feature ARfoundation is nonviable for an active project.
    Is this situation going to change soon?

8. unnanego

unnanego

It's been two months, please, make another update! Just tell us should we wait or not - not knowing is the worst! Maybe we should abandon unity altogether and you're not saying anything and our lives go by!

9. enhawk

enhawk

the year is 2058.

Humanity is reduced to a smoldering pile of ash by sentient robots.

One lone human remains, with nothing else to do, she opens Unity 2057.4 LTS to develop an AR program.

Release notes pop up on her screen:

"AR remoting coming in 2058.1!"

10. mistergreen2016

mistergreen2016

Right now, I’m making a simulation of a simulation to work faster lol.

11. unnanego

unnanego

This really shows their understanding and their attitude towards their users. I really wish I could go to some alternative platform, because this is just them showing how little they care.

BBIT-SOLUTIONS likes this.
  12. BBIT-SOLUTIONS

BBIT-SOLUTIONS

I agree. Already wrote @mfuad a PM, where i described him exactly, why i personally really would need this tool and that all these other fancy features for AR, on which they work currently, are all well and good, but as long as we can't debug them, they are actually useless.

Because for me, it seems like they just develop all these tools, but seem to never actually use them theirselves to create apps or games by themself.

So i just asked him for at least a short update about the state, or in best case maybe a simple version of the plugin. I think It could have bugs, it wouldn't care us too much and we developers could try to fix it by ourselves. It just should compile with latest version of ARFoundation and we should be able to share the screen of the mobiles, so that we are able to use Inspector, Hierarchy and Console during testing.

But after nearly 2 weeks i did still not get any answer unfortunately.

So i can just encourage all you other guys, who have the same problem, to write him, too. So maybe he at least notices us and gives at least a short update ;-)

unnanego likes this.
  13. unnanego

unnanego

Well, I don't think they are silent because they forgot about our existence, obviously there's nothing to show, otherwise they would have already - other packages are published in a really bad state and it's ok...

14. BBIT-SOLUTIONS

BBIT-SOLUTIONS

Yes, i think you are right. Seems they really have nothing yet. But just wondering why they don't focus on the most important feature first and develop other packages instead, which are actually useless, when you can't work with them in a useful way^^

So i just thought, having a direct feedback from us users could show them, in which direction they really should go.

unnanego likes this.
  15. MVRKHQ

MVRKHQ

How aboutttttt they tell us they have nothing! And then tell us whether it's a priority or not, and then give us a timeline for when it will become a priority if ever.

So if it's not... we can start investing, perhaps as a community, or as for profit projects to create our own AR remoting solutions with the understanding that they won't be rendered useless by a random Unity remoting release.

juliodutracora and unnanego like this.
  16. BBIT-SOLUTIONS

BBIT-SOLUTIONS

Yes exactly, at least some information, that we can plan how to continue.

Was also thinking about trying to fix the AR Remote by myself a few times. But still hesitating, because like you say, if they randomly release it then, the whole effort is useless.

unnanego likes this.
  17. mistergreen2016

mistergreen2016

It’s a waste of time fixing it yourself. Remoting will probably use some component of future unity version like from 2020.x.

BBIT-SOLUTIONS and unnanego like this.
  18. unnanego

unnanego

this is getting ridiculous. @tdmowrer CAN WE HAVE A LITTLE BIT OF INFO, PLEASE? STOP IGNORING US!

MVRKHQ, xwonder and BBIT-SOLUTIONS like this.
  19. devbr

devbr

@mfuad, could you give some update on this, please?

20. unnanego

unnanego

no, they don't care about us. cause they are the big cool guys and we are the dust under their fingernails - who needs these stupid developers...

21. BBIT-SOLUTIONS

BBIT-SOLUTIONS

lol, sad but true.

@devbr , At the moment even just asking for an update is actually a waste of time:(

unnanego likes this.
  22. IMD

IMD

Just checking in --> Any update on AR Remoting with AR Foundation via the Editor?

EDIT: Oh, I just noticed last week's sad panda posts... ok :'(

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    unnanego likes this.
  23. unnanego

unnanego

what posts?

24. rogueyoshi

rogueyoshi

MARS is going to provide all of the functionality you are looking for and then some. Just wait for them to release it. But in the meantime, you can use these to help with AR Foundation dev:

In addition enabling Script-Only Builds, and using Assembly Definitions will help immensely with development iteration cycles (I get near instant build + deployment times with this).

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    Shizola likes this.
  25. BBIT-SOLUTIONS

BBIT-SOLUTIONS

Thanks for the tips @rogueyoshi
    I personally actually use nearly everything of them, but it's definitely not the same like having an ar-remote possibility, where you can pause the game on runtime, look on it in scene view, have parallel look from game- and scene-view, adapt or add prefabs or other assets on runtime and so on.

So, i agree, it is a good workaround as long as we have no "real" debugging tool, but it's not the same unfortunately.

About MARS: I agree, that sounds promising. But do you have any news? I registered for the program a few months ago, but never get any email-notification yet unfortunately. So I'm not sure, if they actually still work on it or if they treat it same like the remote tool...

26. rogueyoshi

rogueyoshi

It's ultimately going to replace AR Foundation in it's entirety. They've given no dates on anything to anybody but insiders though (I don't know when it's going to release, myself).

27. BBIT-SOLUTIONS

BBIT-SOLUTIONS

ok yes, it's the same what I've read so far. So we users have the same level of information about MARS like about AR remoting at the moment.

Nobody can plan anything. We don't know if it will be released this month or this year or if it is actually under development.

It's just so sad and frustrating that the developers completely ignore us.

Thimo_ likes this.
  28. rogueyoshi

rogueyoshi

There are commercial projects using MARS right now, so we will have news soon.

https://mobile-ar.reality.news/news...app-created-with-unitys-project-mars-0272536/

29. BBIT-SOLUTIONS

BBIT-SOLUTIONS

Thimo_ likes this.
  30. bsizzle

bsizzle

Sorry to be a bit off topic, but for those of you using Remote Inspector how are you connecting over wifi? The video they show has a editbox with the http://localhost:8080 and a refresh button at the top of the hierarchy. Neither of those show up for me after adding the remote inspector prefab into the scene. This would really help me with some issues if I could get it to connect.

Attached Files:

31. rogueyoshi

rogueyoshi

put your phone's ip instead of localhost. you can get it easily through wireless ADB which you want anyway for logcat.

32. Hypertectonic

Hypertectonic

So you're saying that everything I've been slowly working on and suffering for will be utimately futile?
    Unity seriously needs to stop this "release something half baked and then abandon it for something else soon after" thing.

33. rogueyoshi

rogueyoshi

ARFoundation will probably continue to get support for bugfixes but most features for sure will be coming to MARS.

34. bsizzle

bsizzle

I can't change that because it doesn't exist on my hierarchy. I got my IP address and have no problem connecting wireless adb. Screenshot of my hierarchy attached, the one in my first reply is from the Remote Inspector example video.

Attached Files:

35. rogueyoshi

rogueyoshi

Add the remote inspector tabs to your Unity window, through the Window menu.

36. bsizzle

bsizzle

Just what I needed. Got it working now, thank you!

37. shawnblais

shawnblais

WE DONT NEED REMOTING. WE NEED SIMULATION.

Its like you guys have never built an APK in Unity before. Its a 60s+ build cycle. You expect us to do that EVERY. SINGLE. TEST. CYCLE??

Slap some RTS style controls on a camera, give us the ability to spawn mock planes. This does not have to be so damn complicated.

createtheimaginable likes this.
  38. BBIT-SOLUTIONS

BBIT-SOLUTIONS

Yes exactly, they just should fix the few bugs, so that the AR-Remote tool works again like it worked at ARFoundation v1. For my purpose that was absolutely enough and worked perfectly.
    There you could just use the phone as your "AR-camera" and simply use it inside the Untiy Editor, so that you not have to wait for each single step you made.

I agree with you, also don't understand what's so complicated, when they know the internals...

But somehow they prefer to work on a completely new system, which will then probably only just half-ready on release.

createtheimaginable likes this.
  39. mistergreen2016

mistergreen2016

I was playing with the built-in Remote and thought Unity could add a camera function to feed into the editor player. Could streamline the work flow.

40. enhawk

enhawk

This is what we are doing already, you can do it yourself easily... Camera flying and fake planes were originally part of ARKit Plugin, but they never made it to ARFoundation.

Here's the script I use for the camera:

http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php/FlyCam_Extended

For selecting planes, make a quad and put it on a new unused layer, then take this code and put on the ARCamera, using the layer in the layermask property.

Code (CSharp):
    1. public LayerMask layerMask;
    2. GameObject currentPlane;
    4. void Update()
    5.     {
    6.         Vector2 aimPosition = new Vector2(Screen.width/2, Screen.height/2);
    7.         RaycastHit hit;
    8.         #if UNITY_EDITOR
    9.         if (Physics.Raycast(this.transform.position, this.transform.TransformDirection(Vector3.forward), out hit, Mathf.Infinity, layerMask))
    10.         {
    11.             Debug.DrawRay(this.transform.position, this.transform.TransformDirection(Vector3.forward) * hit.distance, Color.yellow);
    12.             currentPlane = hit.transform.gameObject;
    13.         }
    15.     }
    Then you can spawn whatever you like at the end of the ray on the fake planes as you fly around. Obviously theres loads more code you need to add to make it work nicely, but this is the core idea.

For the fake planes, hide them by platform, with a script like this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5. public class ShowByPlatform : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     public bool showInEditor;
    8.     public bool showOnMobile;
    9.     // Start is called before the first frame update
    10.     void Start()
    11.     {
    12.         #if UNITY_EDITOR
    13.             this.gameObject.SetActive(showInEditor);
    14.         #elif UNITY_IOS
    15.             this.gameObject.SetActive(showOnMobile);
    16.         #endif
    17.     }
    18. }

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  41. unnanego

unnanego

42. BBIT-SOLUTIONS

BBIT-SOLUTIONS

43. BBIT-SOLUTIONS

BBIT-SOLUTIONS

That's the current statement from @mfuad :

44. F0t0s

F0t0s

If you are developing only for Android, until there's something for ARFoundation, you can use ARCore directly from Google, which offers Instant Preview that allows remote testing on the phone. Here's a guide: https://developers.google.com/ar/develop/unity/instant-preview. The two are incompatible though, so you'll have to remove ARFoundation and use the packages from ARCore

45. max_coding13

max_coding13

So devs are really just building their project as a testing solution? Wow. No wonder there hasn't been an AR killer-app yet. This is some serious pain.

Is there anyone here that has actually launched an AR app doing this? I cannot imagine how slow the dev process must be to work around AR functionality.

46. GKiernozek

GKiernozek

Actually yes -
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.ttpsc.ardoor
    https://apps.apple.com/pl/app/ar-showroom-by-ttpsc/id1500403206

BUT

I highly reccomend just do little simulator in editor by yourself - it helps A TON!
    - camera input that lets you fly over scene (https://answers.unity.com/questions/1345066/input-camera-movement.html)
    - CustomRaycaster that raycasts your CustomPlane (layer), and mark ARPlane prefab (from ARFoundation) also as CustomPlane layer
    - you just set objects up to hit.normal
    - you're good to go

you don't really need ARRaycastManager from UnityEngine.XR.ARFoundation

also this solution lets you switch to any solution easily, jump from ARFoundation to pure ARCore, Vuforia etc. as the only thing you have to actually do is assign "Custom Plane" layer to whatever you want to be treated as CustomPlane

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  47. BBIT-SOLUTIONS

BBIT-SOLUTIONS

Yes, it's extremely slow progress. That's why we all complain here ;)

I also have a few ones released, feel free to check them out (hope it is allowed to link them here in the forum...). E.g.:

48. unnanego

unnanego

I have two releases, too

49. enhawk

enhawk

I have various AR releases, we only complain here because we care

50. zulaman

zulaman

I've tries some of the alternative solutions offered on this thread but still can't get any remote to work. Is there no simple solution to just send data from the phone to Unity Editor ? Is anyone familiar with PlayerConnection ? I can't find any documentation on it so not sure it's even an option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.