Search Unity

AR Remoting & Simulation

Discussion in 'Handheld AR' started by mfuad, Aug 1, 2019.

1. mfuad

mfuad

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone, there have been a lot of conversations around reducing iteration time when working with AR Foundation. We owe the community an update and in an effort to improve our communication and transparency, we have created a dedicated post to keep you updated as we progress. You can expect more details to be posted on this thread moving forward.

It’s clear from many of you that iteration time continues to be a significant pain point. Remoting is the most requested feature and we are currently solidifying our plan to ensure we have the tools that fit your needs. At a high level, we plan to include the following features:

Remoting & Simulation:
    • Connect to a remote device from the editor
    • Test AR features (planes, raycast, reference points, etc.) on-device without having to build your app
    • Record sessions and play them back in the editor
    • Simulate AR features (planes, raycast, reference points, etc.) in the editor
    This is a large, comprehensive project that will take time and continue to evolve as new AR features are supported. However, we want to make sure you have the proper tools to test features you use the most, as soon as possible. We are working on this now, so stay tuned for more updates.

unnanego, Tarrag, kayy and 6 others like this.
  2. Superdeath

Superdeath

Thanks for the update! Question about recorded sessions - is the idea that the raw video feed and full suite of sensor data will be recorded for playback and simulation? Would we basically be able to launch the recorded video + sensor data from editor and otherwise interact with the app via UI or other events normally?

3. Dark_Swordsman

Dark_Swordsman

Thanks for the update. Not sure how far you guys are but it would be great if you could push out a preview as soon as possible. The recording feature is nice but a working preview of just the remoting (incl. raycasts) would already help tremendously.

4. juliodutracora

juliodutracora

Agree.

5. BuoDev

BuoDev

I basically just want to see changes happening in the editors hierarchy and to check variables in the inspector. Would help a lot to understand how AR Foundation works.

BBIT-SOLUTIONS likes this.
  6. Hugoliv

Hugoliv

watching this.

7. UniTaz

UniTaz

Looking forward to it too. Thanks mfuad for the update!

8. adrian-taylor09

adrian-taylor09

Awesome that you guys are working on a solution. I’m really looking forward to the in-editor simulation of AR features as I can see this being useful for my projects.

Is there any information you can give us about expected timeframes?

9. vincentfretin

vincentfretin

@BuoDev this may interest you, Satwant Singh published this video just a few days ago:

BuoDev likes this.
  10. adrian-taylor09

adrian-taylor09

@vincentfretin Thanks for the video. Those are some really helpful assets. The creator of the Runtime Inspector asset has some really useful Unity tools (including an in game console tool) his GitHub page is worth a visit for sure

https://github.com/yasirkula

11. MrDos1

MrDos1

Hi! Thanks for the update, this was much needed.

Although I greatly disagree with the approach. We know that when you announce to be willing to be more transparent but don't give any estimated release date, it's most likely because the development didn't start yet.
    I have the feeling this feature is passed beyond due by now, and is a good candidate for the new "nested prefab" type of feature, where everyone says it's gonna be soon but it takes years.

Now there's an opportunity to change that, please release a WIP as soon, that will work for few people, help them out, then expend the support one by one instead of adding all the features at beforehand.
    Helping 10 people is still better than not helping.
    We want a preview package. We want a pre-alpha, a early access, whatever. Anything will be better than nothing, to solve your transparency problem.

naiqus likes this.
  12. Bastienre4

Bastienre4

Hello ! I'm also starting to play around with AR and not having this feature is a real bummer for newcomers. Please keep us informed of the current state of this solution ;).

13. unnanego

unnanego

8th Wall have had AR Remote for more than a year...

naokiijobs likes this.