Search Unity

Question AR on the sea?

Discussion in 'AR' started by esquirolaire, Aug 6, 2020.

1. esquirolaire

esquirolaire

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to build an installation by the sea. My initial idea idea is to set an image tracker just next to the handheld device, and offset the content far away. I've tried it and it works fine for a few seconds, but after that the content starts drifting. My guess is that, since we don't have fixed elements on the camera shot, the phone thinks it's moving because there might be a moving ship or maybe just some pattern in the waves and light reflections.

The goal is to have stable content for a long period of time on a fixed position. Do you think there is any workaround?

As far as I know the handheld device is getting movement both from motion sensors and image processing, taking the difference in position of elements between frames. I think I could have a shot if I could block the image processing part once the image tracker is found.

How feasible do you think it is? Has anyone tried something similar?

2. esquirolaire

esquirolaire

In case someone finds the same problem in the future :)

So it seems it is possible to access the phone's motion sensors (gyroscope, accelerometer and compass). Therefore, I can stop relying on ARCore tracking the position and rotation of the phone and build my own system based on them.