Search Unity

AR - Long distance target recognition

Discussion in 'Vuforia' started by Vectware, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Vectware

Vectware

Hello developers,

I’m trying to make an augmented reality application for our museum.

The idea is to place some iPads on a console so they can move only horizontal. As soon as the iPad is pointed on a specific object it needs to give information about that object. The positions of the objects and iPad will always be the same. We have tried to use image targets (A5) size but the maximum recognition distance is about 1.5 to 2 meters and we need to achieve about 8-10 meters.

Do you guys have a solution on how to achieve this? With markers/images or without?

Thank you !

2. Vuforia-Strasza

Vuforia-Strasza

Official Vuforia Employee Vuforia

Hello @Xeneon93

The maximum detection distance is greatly affected by the size of the target. In the case of a museum, you don't have the ability to change the size of the objects themselves, but there is an alternative.

You could place an Image Target or VuMark closer to the device and offset the augmentation to be where the object would be relative to the target. Enabling Extended Tracking will help keep the augmentation in place as the device is moved around.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thanks

CringeItIn likes this.
  3. ARAKIT

ARAKIT

Maybe you should try to make the target(s) a little bit clearer to the Ipads. My mother works at CMU, and she had one of these problems too.

4. Austinfinity

Austinfinity

Did you come up with a working solution for this? Do you have pictures or screen shots of it working and what distances?

I am working on a similar project for school for a local public museum, and would like more space to establish a narrative scene without loosing the target.

SpandanaMatapathi likes this.