Search Unity

Question AR Image tracking and QR code scanner

Discussion in 'AR' started by devrandomzero, Jun 20, 2022.

1. devrandomzero

devrandomzero

Hi,
    in my current project I'm using image tracking only for image detection and not for the tracking part.
    By documentation AR Foundation permits to track (detect in my case) a maximum number of 20 images but I need to detect simultaneously more images, between 30 and 40.
    Just to be clear I don't need tracking at all because every detection needs to happen just once and when it happens it just opens a popup on screen with some text (no prefab with a 3D model is spawing).
    So here's my two questions:
    1) Because I'm just detecting the image, is the maximum number of 20 images simultaneously still counting as a hard limit?
    2) If yes, is it possibile to use maybe a QR code scanner alongside AR Foundation (like in some kind of parallel mode) without compromise the AR functionality?

Obviously I'm open to suggestions for other ways to deal with this.

Thank you in advance

Bye

2. davidmo_unity

davidmo_unity

Unity Technologies

The 20 limit is a hard cap on ARCore not ARFoundation (https://developers.google.com/ar/develop/augmented-images). AR Image Tracking is more for driving positional data in an AR scene rather than mere detection so while you are only looking to detect the images the device is going to attempt to maintain an understanding of the trackable in space which can cause a performance hit.

We can't say whether using an external QR code scanning library will or won't compromise AR.

3. devrandomzero

devrandomzero

Thank you for your answer.
    To overcome a potential perfomance hit is it possible to stop detection for a single image in the reference library?

Thank you

Bye

4. andyb-unity

andyb-unity

Unity Technologies