Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

AR Foundation Remote | Test and debug your AR project in the Editor

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by KyryloKuzyk, May 26, 2020.

1. KyryloKuzyk

KyryloKuzyk

PLUGIN UPDATE POST #3

@multimediamarkers @SirLouLou @jbboro
    Hello, remoters!

Image Tracking support
    There were several feature requests, so I added Image Tracking support.

image_tracking.png

The plugin sends Image Library from Editor to remote device on every scene launch so you don't have to make a new build every time when your Image Library is updated.

ScheduleAddImageJob is also supported in Editor. Please ensure that texture is readable (set Read/Write Enable in Import Settings or create your texture in runtime) before calling this method.

The easiest way to test Image Tracking is to point your device at your computer screen with opened image. Also, a great way to save paper :)

Multi-touch input remoting
    Multi-touch input remoting was added. Now you can test your touch input code in Editor similar way as with Unity Remote app. You can try it in PlaneAndCloudPointsReceiver scene.
    @alesandramq @jgmakes

Please tell me what features do you want to see next?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  2. StefanoCecere

StefanoCecere

damn you're really fast! checking it very soon :)

3. Alexis-Dev

Alexis-Dev

Very good asset which save a lot of time!

May be an application on AppStore and GooglePlay (like Unity remote) will be good.

By the way, which platform is recommended to buy it?

Best,
    Alexis

4. KyryloKuzyk

KyryloKuzyk

I'm glad to hear this :)

Yes, it would be ideal. But right now the plugin is constantly evolving and It will be hard to manage released companion apps. The other problem is that every AR feature requires its own companion app - this is made for backwards compatibility with AR Foundation 3 (it doesn't allow to switch between front and back camera in runtime).

There is not much difference, all platforms will receive all future updates and support of the same quality.
    The benefit of itch.io and my website is fast updates as you don't need to wait for Asset Store approval. Also, Asset Store takes 30% of every transaction so it's up to you if you want to support Unity team or plugin developer directly :)
    The benefit of Asset Store version is that you'll have all your plugins gathered in one place.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    Alexis-Dev likes this.
  5. jforder

jforder

Great thanks for the info. Off to the asset store I go!

6. StefanoCecere

StefanoCecere

since the release of finale AR Foundation 4.0.2 yesterday.. and it works great stabilizing many APIs, i vote to focus on that version, drop AR Foundation 3 (or at least make new versions compatible from >= 4), so to have just one companion app!

7. KyryloKuzyk

KyryloKuzyk

While this is the simplest path for me, I don't think I should drop support for AR Foundation 3. Dropping support for ARF3 means dropping support for Unity 2019.2. And there are many developers out there who can't afford to upgrade their projects in the middle of the road.

Speaking of companion apps... I came up with the idea on how to combine them into one app and I'll try it soon.

StefanoCecere likes this.
  8. ina

ina

Nice - also human body segmentation in ARKit3?

9. ina

ina

Just got your plugin. After building Face Sender in development mode on Unity 2019.3.0f3 (AR Foundation 2.1.2) I got: "Failed to connect to player" in Face Receiver scene.

I'm running everything in Unity editor on iOS... Should Unity editor be set to PC/Mac/Standalone when using the Receiver (that is a pain to switch build)? Can you just include the xcode project for the Sender, since I assume it's the same for all?

Which version should face remote be run in?

--

Just tried updating project to AR Foundation 3.1.3. Also deleting and reimporting your plugin and removing package. Getting lots of errors like this:

Library/PackageCache/com.kyrylokuzyk.arfoundationremote@c3be0b4746341cbd217bc8c5e2e13b7efbe8dd5d/Editor/Package.cs(5,33): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'Metadata' does not exist in the namespace 'UnityEditor.XR.Management' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  10. KyryloKuzyk

KyryloKuzyk

Could you please try to connect wirelessly? Or try to disable wifi and connect by wire.

No, this is not necessary. You can leave the target you made a sender scene build with. You just need to enable AR Foundation Remote provider in 'Project Settings -> XR Plug-in Management -> PC, Mac & Linux Standalone' to enable the plugin to work in Editor.

I installed Unity 2019.3.0 and reproduced this bug. The error was specific to Unity 2019.3.0. This version doesn't install XR Management package of version 3.2.10 automatically. Please check your private messages for the version with a fix.

The lowest versions of AR Foundation and iOS face tracking the plugin supports are 3.0.1. Everything newer should work in Unity 2019.3.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    ina likes this.
  11. enhawk

enhawk

a million thank you's for adding image tracking and adding new things :)

12. KyryloKuzyk

KyryloKuzyk

I'll add it to my roadmap.

I'm glad to hear this. Please take a time to leave an honest feedback and Asset Store :)

ina likes this.
  13. Deleted User

Deleted User

For me, Step 3 in "How to use" cannot be done with Unity 2014.0f1 LTS or 2019.3.15f1 (the two versions I've tried). "AR Foundation Remote" is not listed as a plug-in provider.

The rest of the workflow seems to work until I am actually running my AR scene (Step 5). During Step 5, on my device, I see nothing from my scene, but I see planes and cloud points being detected and rendered (which I do not render with my scene). Furthermore, the Console says "Please enable "AR Foundation Remote" provider in Project Settings -> XR Plug-in Management -> PC, Mac & Linux Standalone".

Does anyone know why the plug-in provider isn't listed?

14. StefanoCecere

StefanoCecere

uhmmm

there is no "AR Foundation Remote" provider in Project Settings -> XR Plug-in Management -> PC, Mac & Linux Standalone

Screenshot 2020-06-19 at 15.10.49.png

with this packages

Screenshot 2020-06-19 at 15.11.43.png

15. KyryloKuzyk

KyryloKuzyk

By bad :(
    As a temporary solution, please go to Packages/AR Foundation Remote/Editor/Package.cs and comment out the first line with #if define and the last line with #endif.
    The official fix is coming very soon.

16. StefanoCecere

StefanoCecere

great. i confirm it works with my setup)

17. KyryloKuzyk

KyryloKuzyk

@azimmerman @StefanoCecere
    The version 3.6.2 with the fix is already out. Please update.

It also has all three sender scenes combined into one ARCompanion app. Now you can make one build and test all available remote AR features with it.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    StefanoCecere likes this.
  18. KyryloKuzyk

KyryloKuzyk

PLUGIN UPDATE POST #4

Important AR Foundation Editor Remote update v.3.7.0!

It turned out that ARPlaneManager.Raycast() and ARPointCloudManager.Raycast() work in coordinate space of ARSessionOrigin. It means if your ARSessionOrigin is not located at default position (zero position, zero rotation, and 1,1,1 scale) using these methods will produce wrong results. You can transform your ray to ARSessionOrigin local coordinates and back, but there is a much simpler solution.

In this update I added ARRaycastManager support. This means you don't have to use ARPlaneManager.Raycast() and ARPointCloudManager.Raycast() anymore. From now on you can just use ARRaycastManager.Raycast(). To enable it to work in Editor, please add ARPlaneManager and/or ARPointCloudManager to ARSessionOrigin.

jpvanmuijen, Alexis-Dev and ina like this.
  19. SugrJelly

SugrJelly

Finally get it working on my mac after a few hours of fiddling. Here are my (newbie) steps.

- ASSET STORE
    1) Asset Store on Web, Purchase
    2) Launch Unity Launch AR project (2019.4 LTS)
    3) Package Manager > My Assets > AR Foundation Editor Remote: Import the package
    4) Juggle version number of the follow packages. (Info available in the AR Foundation Remote 3.7 section in the PM)
    • AR Foundation - 3.0.1
    • AR Subsystem - 3.0.0
    • XR Management - 3.0.3
    Have to do the same to the following to get rid of remaining errors.
    • AR Core XR Plugin - 3.0.1
    • ARKit Face Tracking - 3.0.1
    • ARKit XR Plugin - 3.0.1
    • XR Plugin Management - 3.2.10 ( 3.0.3 requested. not available in 2019.4 LTS)
    • Windows XR plugin gave me error (uninstalled)
    - INSTALL GIT
    5) Install XCode Commandline interface: https://developer.apple.com/download/more/ I chose the version that match my Xcode (11.5)
    6) Install Homebrew: https://brew.sh/
    7) Install Git: https://git-scm.com/download/mac

- BUILD AR COMPANION APP
    8) Plug in iphone
    9) Load Game Scene
    10) Edit > Player Setting > Editor > Device > Choose iphone
    11) Project > Asset > Plugins > ARFoundationInstaller > Installer > Install (In Inspector, first button). Had some errors earlier so re-installed (pulls file from Git?)
    12) Project > Asset > Plugins > ARFoundationInstaller > Installer > BuildCompanionApp
    13) Wait for build to finish.
    14) Back to Finder. Double Click on PROJECT ROOT/ARFoundationRemoteCompanionApp/IOS/Unity-iPhone.xcodeproj to launch XCode
    15) Build the app in XCode.
    16) Once finish building, App launch on iphone

- MIND BLOWN
    17) In Unity, press PLAY
    18) Project launch
    19) Stop Play. Make Some changes
    20) Press PLAY again. Changes show up. Awesome!!!

Hope this helps. Best $40 spent!!

fanjiang and sama-van like this.
  20. KyryloKuzyk

KyryloKuzyk

@SugrJelly, thank you for the detailed review!

Actually, the plugin works perfectly with AR Foundation and AR Providers greater than v3.0.1. I specified these versions for backward compatibility with Unity 2019.2 and to make an emphasis that the version of AR provider should be compatible with the version of AR Foundation.

If your project already uses AR Foundation of a version that is different from 3.0.1, the plugin should install without errors. If errors do occur, please send me an email with a bug report: kuzykkirill@gmail.com

21. adrian-taylor09

adrian-taylor09

Just purchased this after using the evaluation version. Great work, really nice asset.

It would be really cool to see support for the meshing features available with ARKit 4 (and the Lidar sensor iPads)

22. sama-van

sama-van

Hi!

Did the following :
    But still having this error while clicking on the Install button from the Installed node :
    Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 12.37.00.png

Now right before there is another log :
    Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 13.04.27.png

However I do not need of it.
    Is that a requirement?

EDIT : It seems the command is looking for Xcode-beta which I uninstalled a long ago...
    Is there a way to edit that? any workout?

23. KyryloKuzyk

KyryloKuzyk

24. sama-van

sama-van

It seems that command fixed the Xcode path which was set to an old beta install :
    Code (CSharp):
    2. sudo xcode-select -switch /Applications/Xcode.app

25. sama-van

sama-van

Alright then got the remote working, sample scene are ok.

Now, my app is working with the Unity ARFoundation sample scene called "SampleUXScene".
    No wonder why the remote doesn't work with the scene, I just found out the ARRaycastManager is not supported...

Then tried the PlaneAndCloudPointsExample scene which seems to work.
    Actually that is not really matching the click from the device, pointer prefab is literally off where I click on the remote...
    Anyway then starting to make it custom, I simply copy/paste the entire MultiTouchRaycastExample.cs containt to a new file and rename the namespace.
    Then it's not working anymore.
    Drop it on the same object, disable the sample script and still nothing to do.
    Cast is still not detected.
    What did I miss? What is wrong with that namespace?
    Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 15.04.41.png

26. KyryloKuzyk

KyryloKuzyk

@sama-van the ARRaycastManager support was added recently. It falls back to Raycast() implementations of ARPlaneManager and ARPointCloudManager. Please add one of those managers to enable ARRaycastManager to work in the Editor. There should be a warning in Console if your scene has ARRaycastManager but no ARPlaneManager or ARPointCloudManager.
    Please try to set 'Trackable Type Mask' to Planes. When it set to All, ARRaycastManager will pick adjacent cloud points instead of planes.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  27. sama-van

sama-van

@KirillKuzyk
    "Planes" doesn't seem to fix it, still pretty off... :(

Since the ARRaycastManager is working that would be great if the "SampleUXScene" from the ARFoundation-samples would work straight!
    I didn't see it first because the first canvas "MoveDeviceAnimation" won't hide on plane detection.
    And it's like the screen remains black.
    But looking through it does draw the planes.
    Now it seems some callback aren't giving anything from the ARCameraManager...
    And I am still debugging to find why...

EDIT : Well it seems the Action<ARCameraFrameEventArgs> frameReceived is sleeping, no callback at all...

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  28. KyryloKuzyk

KyryloKuzyk

@sama-van
    SampleUXScene contains UIManager.cs script that relies on touch input. Please refer to the documentation on how to test touch input in Editor using the plugin: please add this line on top of every script that uses touch input: using Input = ARFoundationRemote.Input;

SampleUXScene already contains ARPlaneManager and ARPointCloudManager so ARRaycastManager should work fine.

Could you please send me a bug report describing your case? My email: kuzykkirill@gmail.com

sama-van likes this.
  29. YashwanthCBI

YashwanthCBI

Will you be implementing Body tracking as well anytime soon ?

30. KyryloKuzyk

KyryloKuzyk

@YashwanthCBI, unfortunately, Body Tracking requires A12 chip and I have only iPhone X which has A11. Maybe when the plugin will become more popular, I'll buy a new AR device to support new features.

31. KyryloKuzyk

KyryloKuzyk

PLUGIN UPDATE POST #5

This major update contains two big features: Camera Background support, Light Estimation support.​

Camera Background

We all love the WYSIWYG approach in our work. With AR Camera Background you'll be able to see video stream from your AR device right in Unity Editor. This feature is implemented on top AR Foundation XRCameraSubsystem so the behavior in Editor is the same as on device.

ARKit: Unity Editor supports native iOS shaders so wring a custom camera shader is a breeze: just copy ARKitBackground.shader and assign custom material to ARCameraBackground and you'll be able to test your shader right in Editor.

ARCore: Unity Editor doesn't support ARCore background shader because of External OES textures API. The plugin uses a custom background shader for displaying camera background in Editor.

Limitations:
    1. Camera video resolution is 400x400 pixels and runs at approximately 15 fps - PlayerConnection API is a bottleneck here. Maybe I'll make a transition to custom network logic in the future.
    2. Is supported only with AR Foundation version <= 4.0.0-preview.3.
    3. ARCameraManager.TryAcquireLatestCpuImage() is not supported. As a low-performance alternative, you can use Graphics.Blit() to read from camera material in Editor.

Light Estimation
    To make believable AR scenes, it's important for your scene to match the lighting of the surrounding word. This update brings these Light Estimation features depending on your target platform:
    1. Average Light Intensity, Brightness, and Color Temperature.
    2. Main Light Direction, Color, and Intensity.
    3. Exposure Duration and Offset.
    Ambient Spherical Harmonics are not currently supported. I'll implement this feature in the next version.

WanSCAD likes this.
  32. LTYE

LTYE

Is it possible to use this to record facial capture into a FBX or .anim?

33. KyryloKuzyk

KyryloKuzyk

@LTYE Recording facial animation is not supported out of the box by the plugin.

It is possible to write custom logic to capture ARKit Blenshapes and write them into fbx file (providing you're familiar with the structure of fbx files) - ARKit Blenshapes are nothing more than enum-float pairs.
    I think you can get the general idea from these repositories:
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/facial-ar-remote
    https://github.com/makoto-unity/UnityARKitRecorder

But it is much harder to record face mesh because all face polygons are updated every frame.

34. zulaman

zulaman

It's so awesome to see all the progress you've been making here.
    Is there support for FaceTracking FixationPoint ? I'm using the blendshape example but would like to control the eyes with rotation by either getting the eyePose or FixationPoint so I can aim the eyes towards it.
    Thanks

35. KyryloKuzyk

KyryloKuzyk

@zulaman yes, Fixation Point and Eye Tracking are supported (ARKit only). To debug them in Editor you can look in the desired direction, then press pause in Editor - it's impossible to look at Editor and AR device simultaneously :)

36. jpvanmuijen

jpvanmuijen

So I haven't checked this thread for a while, but the example I used earlier didn't perform very well. This might explain why. I'm glad support for ARRaycastManager has been added. Especially on Android, performance has improved a lot. Still and again, very useful plugin.

Update: I do get an error:
    AssertionException: Assertion failure. Values are not equal.
    Expected: 2 == 1
    Please connect only one AR Companion app at a time.

I only have one device with a companion app running, so I'm not sure what's wrong. I do have an app on both iOS and Android. But either one is connected at a time.
    I did switch the scripting backend from Mono to IL2CCP. Could that be an issue?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  37. KyryloKuzyk

KyryloKuzyk

@zulaman please re-import the plugin from Asset Store, then press IntallPlugin button. The latest version should be 3.8.9 both on Windows and on Mac.
    If it will not help, please delete the whole ARFoundationRemoteIntaller folder and repeat the process.

38. zulaman

zulaman

So I've just updated the plugin to the most recent version and made a new iOS build on my mac. I tried both face examples on the mac and they were working out of the box without any issues. However, when I tried to connect on a PC using console>>editor>>connect to 192.168.86.210 it won't connect (and it used to before). The companion app show "waiting for editor connection" and my ip on the phone is exactly as above.
    When I try my old Sender app on my phone (the one from the previous version) it does connect right away. Is there anything else that needs to be matched ? bundle identifier or anything else ?
    Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  39. KyryloKuzyk

KyryloKuzyk

Sorry, didn't see your updated answer.
    Please ensure that you don't have two instances of the ARCompanion app running on the same device in the background.

No, there shouldn't be. Please try to make a manual build instead of pressing BuildAndRunCompanionApp button. Maybe the auto-connect build option is the problem.
    Here is how to make build companion app manually:
    1. Add all scenes from Scenes/Senders to Build Settings.
    2. Enable 'Development Build' option.
    3. Press 'Build and Run'.
    4. Connect Editor to Android device via Console -> 'Editor↓' -> Select your device name or enter IP.

40. squintopera_digital

squintopera_digital

Hello,

I'm trying to use this asset with the ARCore Unity Extensions package from Google and am getting an error at runtime:

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. Google.XR.ARCoreExtensions.Internal.ARSessionExtensions.SessionHandle (UnityEngine.XR.ARFoundation.ARSession session) (at C:/arcore-unity-extensions/Runtime/Scripts/Internal/ARCoreHandles/ARSessionExtensions.cs:32)
    3. Google.XR.ARCoreExtensions.ARCoreExtensions.Update () (at C:/arcore-unity-extensions/Runtime/Scripts/ARCoreExtensions.cs:146)
    Looks like an error getting the native pointer to the ARSession:
    Code (CSharp):
    2.         public static IntPtr SessionHandle(this ARSession session)
    3.         {
    4.             NativePointerStruct info = (NativePointerStruct)
    5.                 Marshal.PtrToStructure(
    6.                     session.subsystem.nativePtr,
    7.                     typeof(NativePointerStruct));
    9.             return info.SessionHandle;
    10.         }
    Do you think there is a way this can work?

Thank you!

41. KyryloKuzyk

KyryloKuzyk

@squintopera_digital Unity Editor has memory safety checks that prevent this kind of code to run in Editor. Not even all AR Foundation code works in Editor properly and I made few automatic fixes (please refer to ARFaceEditorMemorySafetyErrorFixer.cs and ARPointCloudManagerAppendMethodFixer.cs to see details).

Could you please tell me why do you use google-ar/arcore-unity-extensions? What functionality does it add?

42. zulaman

zulaman

Yup, that fixed the problem. Thanks again for the AAA support. I can also confirm that EyeTracking and FixationPoints works for me too.
    I'm loving this plugin :)

43. squintopera_digital

squintopera_digital

@KirillKuzyk I use the extensions for cloud anchor support (shared anchors on multiple devices in the same location).

Where can I find those scripts you refer to? I'm not seeing them in the asset store download.

44. KyryloKuzyk

KyryloKuzyk

The plugin does not currently support cloud anchors. To add the support it’s not enough to just import native Android implementation into the project. There should be a lot of work be done to enable this feature to work in the Editor.

You can find the scripts I refer to in Packages folder inside your project. I don’t think they would help you with cloud anchors, but they can give an overview which kind of modifications are sometimes needed to force AR Foundation to work in Editor.

45. Gameccino

Gameccino

Would be a great addition, but I understand that is really hard to achieve.
    BTW, I bought you greeeeeeeeeat package to help me working on the future WrldCraft (my little big AR masterpiece) updates, working without previews and frequend iOS builds is a pain in the ass, so thank you for saving my ass.
    Just started using it on OSX/iOS, looks great and stable, my scene setup is quite complicated and includes cloud anchors but I can handle this.
    I have another question for you:
    I was managing to change my custom AR boarding with ARKit coaching but on the editor I get "ARCoachingOverlayView is not supported by this device."
    Is AR Coaching Overlay supported by your tool? If not do you plan to support it in the future?

46. jrromachog

jrromachog

I got this error too. Android; even with no device plugged.

47. KyryloKuzyk

KyryloKuzyk

No, it's not currently supported. This overlay is native for iOS and I currently don't have an idea on how to display it in Editor.

Could you please check that you don't have AR Companion app running in the background? The wired connection is not required, the companion app can connect via Wi-Fi. I got this warning when I switch from iPhone to Android and forget to close the app in multitasking screen.

48. jrromachog

jrromachog

Thanks for your prompt response. I made sure no AR Compaion app running in the background. I even turned off the device, but I still got the message. It's weird. Maybe something related to ADB?

49. Gameccino

Gameccino

What about (iOS) ARWorldMaps? is this something you plan to do?

50. Gameccino

Gameccino

oh snap!

No ARAnchorManager support or am I doing something wrong?

Code (CSharp):
    1. var m_LastPlacedAnchor = ReferencePointManager.AddAnchor(pose);
    InvalidOperationException: Anchor manager has no subsystem. Enable the manager first.
    UnityEngine.XR.ARFoundation.ARAnchorManager.AddAnchor (UnityEngine.Pose pose) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.xr.arfoundation@4.0.0-preview.1/Runtime/AR/ARAnchorManager.cs:68)
    ARFoundationRemote.Runtime.MultiTouchRaycastExample.LateUpdate () (at Library/PackageCache/com.kyrylokuzyk.arfoundationremote@d6c8ce1a15/Runtime/Examples/MultiTouchRaycastExample.cs:41)

Edit: Same code works on a real device