Search Unity

AR Foundation: How to create a "fake" AR Plane for testing in-editor?

Discussion in 'AR' started by Bitfabrikken, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Bitfabrikken

Bitfabrikken

Anyone know of a way to create a "fake" AR Plane within the editor, in the hierarchy?
    As in: An instance of the gameobject that's created from the Plane prefab in the AR Plane Manager.

This was quite easy to achieve with Unity ARKit, and was quite helpful when programming various interactions with touch, planes, inserted objects etc.

Not being able to do this now with AR Foundation is quite the hazzle, as I have to build and run on device all the time.

2. rxmarccall

rxmarccall

I'm also curious about this. Along the same lines, I'm wondering how I can create my own "artificial" ground plane on device so I can have a plane to work with if it's taking too long for ARFoundation to find a plane for the user. Do we have access to be able to do some of these things?

It seems that if I spawn any objects before a ground plane is found that camera translation won't work with the spawned object. (I would assume this is because it needs a reference point like a ground plane to start from?)

Is there a way to manually set a reference point such as a point cloud position to get camera translation working before a plane is found?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  3. AndyLangberg

AndyLangberg

Bumping this. It takes a lot of extra time to test only on the pad itself. AR interface had this built in and was majorly helpful. Would be a shame if the superseded version does not.

edit: This has been posted as an issue on the git page itself

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  4. rob_ice

rob_ice

Hopefully a remote is coming for the arfoundation

5. tdmowrer

tdmowrer