Search Unity

AR Foundation. Capture Photo or Video of AR Experience for Sharing

Discussion in 'AR' started by plyrek, Jun 10, 2019.

1. plyrek

plyrek

Hello,

I am preparing a proposal for a client and I thought I better check something before I promise I can deliver it. Can you capture a photo or short video of an AR Foundation experience to save to a device to share with others. If so is it a difficult process? Is it documented somewhere? It must be able to be done somehow as Unity themselves shows a video to demonstrate AR Foundation on their website but I don't see it prominently mentioned anywhere on the forums or the Unity site.

Thank you in advance for your help. :)

2. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

This sounds like a general Unity question and not specific to ARFoundation. iOS has a built-in mechanism to capture a screen recording. There are many free and paid apps for Android which do this. If you want to capture a Unity app programmatically (which I think is what you want to do), there are 3rd party solutions on the Asset Store. A quick Google search turned up this one, for example.

plyrek likes this.
  3. shacharoz

shacharoz

sorry but he is right. i am trying in the past few days to understand how to capture the screen and i cant manage to get it.
    - should i use the ARCameraBackground with a Graphics.Blit()?
    - should i direct the render into a renderTexture?
    - should i create another arsession in parallel?

i managed to copy all the virtual content into a screenshot, but not the augmented one.

any direction would help thanks

4. cgtinker

cgtinker

Here some references, which might be useful for you:
    You can access the Camera image on CPU
    tdmowrer also added a script for saving an image, but there are also other options. b.e. you can also use a unity method for capturing images.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. ScreenCapture.CaptureScreenshotAsTexture()
    As far as I know you can use on iOS the replay kit to record videos.

Capturing an image works pretty well, however I failed to record a video on android. I tried NatCorder, but it doesn't work with ArCore. If someone got good recording results with ArCore I'd appreciate some advice.

5. shacharoz

shacharoz

my friend , you are only proving my point :)
    the unity API of ScreenCapture is the expected API that i dream of having. but since ArFoundation uses different computer vision calculations, I expect them to expose a simpler API call for us.

actually, i have eventually used ScreenCapture, but i had to remove all the redundant UI, make the snap, and then bring the UI again. this is a hassle. we should have a simpler way to do so.

6. DiogoQueiroz

DiogoQueiroz

It seems that the owner isn't looking for this topic, but I wanna ask. Based on the same issue. Like Pokemon GO, you can open your camera, place the Pokemon on the ground and take a picture of it. As far as I search for it, I couldn't find anything that could help me at all. My idea wasn't to get a screenshot with all the UI there, was simply to take a photo, like your camera could do and save or share somewhere. And Pokemon GO was built in Unity, I would love to learn how they do it.

Siggytron likes this.
  7. Alexis-Dev

Alexis-Dev

Hi,

You can disable the UI when you take the screenshot. And enable it when it's done.

Best,
    Alexis

8. danUnity

danUnity