Search Unity

AR Foundation 2.1 Now Available

Discussion in 'AR' started by mdurand, May 15, 2019.

1. zyonneo

zyonneo

T
    he first prefab is coming again instead of second prefab

2. mrand30

mrand30

Is there a predictable date for support of 3D Object Tracking in arcore?

3. aaaavvvv

aaaavvvv

Appreciate the effort but please put more resources into getting these basics working asap! It would be nice to not have to waste so much time building constantly due to the lack of sufficient simulation tools.

4. Jelmer123

Jelmer123

5. unnanego

unnanego

Especially when 8th wall has it working!

aaaavvvv likes this.
  6. Jelmer123

Jelmer123

@Unity: have you noticed that the sloth example is missing eyeSquint_R? There's only eyeSquint_L

7. karsnen

karsnen

I cannot stress this more. I can't work with ARFoundation + ARKit. I have a very specific user-flow which worked fine with Unity's bitbucket ARKit repo but can't with ARFoundation. I have wasted 3 weeks into this. I can see some potential when it comes to scaling but I have to UX is horrible. Too much things have been simplified (IMO) which should have never been. On top of it, I don't see Unity helping either. I have posted several questions in Unity Forum for no reply.

I have no choice but sticking to Unity's ARKit bitbucket repo & working with just those API callbacks.

enhawk, unnanego and aaaavvvv like this.
  8. Tarrag

Tarrag

It's a great job the Unity team is doing but the benefit of that great work quickly disappears if it takes tons of unnecessary hour to develop AR with Unity. Yes tons, really. Currently no remote is the biggest hurdle to develop AR with Unity, hopefully this gets the focus it deserves with the many surveys going around

Milance, karsnen and unnanego like this.
  9. unnanego

unnanego

just use 8th wall if you don't need object tracking. My boss doesn't want to use it for some reason, so I have to cope(((

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

Unity 2018.4.3

Issue: For some reason the package "com.unity.xr.arsubsystems@2.2.0-preview.2" is not added automatically to manifest.json. This leads to issues when using assembly definition files because the asmdef of the above package cannot be referenced (needed at least for TrackableType in ARRaycastManager::Raycast). I checked with the ARFoundation samples and their manifest also doesn't contain it.

Apart from that I also hope for the remote feature as soon as possible, would be my #1 prio.

Dalton-Lima likes this.
  11. dnnkeeper

dnnkeeper

Can someone promt me a way of using EnvironmentalHDRWithReflections from the latest ARCore release? Light estimation works on ios in ARFoundation 2.1 but doesn't work with android despite being present in ARCore unity samples. Can I somehow access native ARCore session bypassing ArF to receive the cubemap?

Cubemap cubemap = m_NativeSession.LightEstimateApi.GetReflectionCubemap(
    m_NativeSession.SessionHandle, lightEstimateHandle);

12. jvthompson

jvthompson

Just wondering, I'm working on a small app utilizing image tracking on an AR Core device, and tracking seems to work fine, but my prefab jitters all over the place whenever I start tracking. After looking away, and trying again a few times, it eventually seems to calm down, but I'm not sure what I can do to fix that crazy jitter. I'm not sure if it's my tracking image, or not, as I can't seem to find any sort of value representing how well it can track, like I can with just the AR Core system. Anyone have any advice or suggestions?

13. shawww

shawww

Yeah, don't do that. Image tracking is very unstable -- use the image to get a position and rotation, and send your object there with code, but once your object is there it shouldn't be updated by image tracking again. DO NOT parent your objects to your markers. Vuforia started the practice when SLAM tracking wasn't available and it's been carried into every AR image target demo since, but it's straight up bad practice.

Littlstar and Blarp like this.
  14. shawww

shawww

8th wall's pricing structure is near predatory. Vuforia has object tracking, should be better anyways.

Blarp likes this.
  15. unnanego

unnanego

it's free for unity, Vuforia is crazy expensive in it's turn and doesn't have remote for ARKit/ARCore

16. devil88bg

devil88bg

Hello guys. I am testing the image tracking with ARKit.
    I used the following:
    - ARFoundation 2.1.0
    - ARkit 2.1.0
    -Xcode 10
    - Unity 2019.1.9

The tracking is not working.

I tested with ARCore and it is working pretty well.

I don't get any error.

dnnkeeper likes this.
  17. dnnkeeper

dnnkeeper

Try upgrading you ARKit XR Plugin package to 2.1.0-preview.3, AR Subsystems to 2.1.0 preview.1 and ARFoundation to 2.1.0-preview.3 . Image tracking was added there according to changelog. Beware that upgrading to 2.2 may lead to build failure with older ARFoundation package.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  18. devil88bg

devil88bg

Actually I solved by myself. It was a setting in Xcode, I re-linked the image database there. For some reason it doesn't load the file.

dnnkeeper likes this.
  19. enhawk

enhawk

Dipped my toe in to ARFoundation recently as the iOS ARKit repo was depreciated. I very much appreciate the work going in to the cross platform solution, however I feel that while there are some benefits to being able to publish on both droid and iOS, theres an "AR arms race" going here and having a separate solution per platform does still carry some merit; as both platforms continue to out gun each other, new and existing features are withheld for compatibility in ARFoundation.

In separate solutions we benefited from the base solution for the platform which was feature complete.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    karsnen likes this.
  20. MSFX

MSFX

On your ARFoundation documentation page you list what it can do... plane detection, face detection etc. If these are not across both ARKit and ARCore (talking about Object Recognition ARKit only) please say so!!!! I now look like a complete idiot for suggesting a solution that won't work :(. You've listed it as ARKit only on this thread which is helpful but everything links to the documentation from the package manager so I never saw this :mad:.

21. MSFX

MSFX

also 100% agree with hawken above, love the work going into single cross platform solution but the speed of development from the platform holders is outpacing you guys and we're losing features :(

karsnen likes this.
  22. dnoparker

dnoparker

I prefer this cross-platform solution. The last few projects I had to develop for both ARKit and ARCore simultaneously and it was a right nightmare juggling both platforms together, and getting them to work and look identical. Thank heavens for ARFoundation.

Dalton-Lima likes this.
  23. andyRogerKats

andyRogerKats

I would like to host an image library for 2D image tracking on a remote server and pull it during runtime. Is something like this possible? Or is there a way to add more image targets without rebuilding the project?

24. Tarrag

Tarrag

25. andyRogerKats

andyRogerKats

unnanego likes this.
  26. andyRogerKats

andyRogerKats

Also, will the size of the Reference Image Library affect the speed / reliability of the image recognition? For example, if I have an image library of 10 images vs one with 1000 images. Thanks!

unnanego likes this.
  27. yolon3000

yolon3000

Hi guys,I want to know exactly what the ReferencePoint does in ARFoundation,because we do not need it to bind object in AR space as show in the PlaceOnPlane.cs scripts,
    so what it is does ? why and when to use it ? thank you .

28. samuelmorais

samuelmorais

Hi, @tdmowrer ,
    Is there any alternative way of load dynamic images and reference objects at runtime using native code?
    In UnityARkitPlugin 1.5 and 2.0 there was this native code, but for ARKit 3 seems it is not possible.

Thank you.

29. shawnblais

shawnblais

Yes, everything about the new API's has been made ridiculously complicated.

The hello world "Simple AR" uses 10 components. Are you serious?

No remote. No in editor testing. But hey, at least we can load a world map on iOS only. FFS.

Who cares about how long it actually takes developers to make stuff, as long as you keep checking off features on some milestone schedule somewhere.

Man I wish the old ARInterface still worked, simple, straightforward, extremely fast dev cycle.

Even simple things like seeing an in-editor version of your plane object have been broken. It's all calculated now at runtime, cause apparently they didn't think it would be useful to be able to preview things in the editor?

There's zero thoughts put into dev workflow with this new API. One of the most overwrought and least productive API's I've ever seen. Boilerplate everywhere, 60 different components, and total lack of decent documentation. Sounds fun.

30. shawnblais

shawnblais

Like you guys do realize this is a plugin for UNITY right? An engine that takes like 30s-1m to deploy onto device? vs native, which is like 5 seconds?

Do you guys also realize that debugging Android with Unity is slow and cumbersome process?

Maybe you should actually care about the fact that round-tripping is expensive, and quick debugging important, and therefore it's extremely high priority that we can test things on the desktop and in editor.

Despite "hearing" me a few mths ago, it appears no efforts at all have been made in this area. Thanks for "listening".

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    Tarrag likes this.
  31. shawnblais

shawnblais

32. gphilip

gphilip

When can we expect the next release?

33. GeorgeMincila

GeorgeMincila

After updating to ARFoundation 2.1 (or 2.2 preview) the camera view is all black. Tracking is working, feature points do appear, but the background is all black.

34. JoMaHo

JoMaHo

Any updates on the Reflection probes issues mentioned in earlier posts - I can not get them to blend properly, making them useless if objects are moving.

35. subramaniyanvg

subramaniyanvg

Will the latest version of AR Foundation support rectangle detection something like if any book laptop or tablet it should draw a 2d rectangle on top of it. I know we can draw the rectangle once the Arplane is detected but what I need is it should draw rectangle automatically whenever it detects any rectangular objects. There is a app available in App store named "Measure" this app does this. Please let me know is this feature is supported. You can understand exactly what i mean by clicking on this below link.
    https://github.com/possiblecee/UnityVision-iOS

36. Moho

Moho

37. MaryamKamel

MaryamKamel

links are not working :'(

38. soorya696

soorya696

Is there a way to find the exact depth of the real-world object?
    I want to place the gameobject just above the real-world object when the user taps on it from the screen.

39. vinnie-vivace

vinnie-vivace

Hi. Quick question. Should I expect ARFoundation image tracking to be as smooth as Vuforia when deployed to the same devices?

I have worked thru the documentation and have image tracking working on both platforms, however as others in this thread have mentioned, once tracked, as you move your device around the tracking jumps around a lot, sometimes hovering quite a distance from the marker, other times nice and accurate.

I have used Vuforia many times and come to expect far better tracking than this. So I am trying to determine if I am doing something wrong, or if there is indeed a notable difference in tracking quality between the two approaches.

40. Tarrag

Tarrag

I've also experienced this same beheaviour/performance @vinnie-vivace

41. shampy93

shampy93

Attached Files:

42. Griffo

Griffo

Hi, just updated Unity to version 2020.1.0f1 and now are getting this error

Assets/GoogleARCore/SDK/Scripts/ARCoreBackgroundRenderer.cs(46,17): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'ARBackgroundRenderer' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Can anyone please tell me how to correct this ? Thanks.

Screenshot 2020-07-28 at 13.36.46.png

43. Alexis-Dev

Alexis-Dev

Hello,

Try with ARFoundation 4.0.2

upload_2020-7-28_14-59-33.png

Best,
    Alexis

44. Griffo

Griffo

Thanks for the reply, can you tell me where to get version 4 please.

45. Alexis-Dev

Alexis-Dev

The arrow on the left side:

upload_2020-7-28_16-7-37.png

if you don't see it, click on: See other versions.

Griffo likes this.
  46. Griffo

Griffo

OK, Thanks, but still got error.

Screenshot 2020-07-28 at 16.02.47.png

47. Alexis-Dev

Alexis-Dev

48. Griffo

Griffo

I tried renaming ARBackgroundRenderer to ARCameraBackground but still getting error, sorry but how do I get my ARCore SDK version number

49. Griffo

Griffo

Upgraded to ARCore SDK-1.18.0 and that problem has gone away now when I try and build I get this error

IL2CPP error for method 'System.Void Unity.GeneratedNetworkCode::_WriteArrayVector3_None(UnityEngine.Networking.NetworkWriter,UnityEngine.Vector3[])' in assembly '/Users/kevin/Desktop/AR_Army_New/Temp/StagingArea/Data/Managed/Assembly-CSharp.dll'
    Additional information: Hash code collision on value `09716D6B6B7159FFA4DDC4AAF2722973A3FF4FC8`

All was working and building fine until I updated Unity to 2020.1.0f1

50. Alexis-Dev

Alexis-Dev

Hello,

I'm happy to hear your problem was gone.

I can't help you with this new error. I'm not expert in IL2CPP and build engine.

Best,
    Alexis

Griffo likes this.