Search Unity

AQUAS Water/River Set - Water & Rivers for Mobile, VR, Web, Desktop

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dogmachris, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Gua

Gua

As soon as I make it positive. Water almost disappears

update: Hm... I kind of manage to achive what I wanted, but I need to use wierd numbers for this.

When I want billboards to work properly above water. I need to use -200 in shader and -1 in script.

When I want them to look properly when I'm underwater -200 in shader and +3000 in script.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  2. dogmachris

dogmachris

@Gua what if you try leaving the render queue in the shader always on "Transparent" and using 2800 in the script when you're afloat and -1 when you're underwater?

3. Gua

Gua

Yep. That works. Thanks!

hopeful likes this.
  4. NoobTaco

NoobTaco

It is working so far till you try to use UFPS Multiplayer.

The multiplayer character looses the connection with the underwater portions of AQUAS. I am trying to figure out how to keep them tied together.

5. Gozdek

Gozdek

Nice job.

6. Tinjaw

Tinjaw

Just starting to use Aquas. Why does the water go all white when I zoom out? It is fine up closer.

7. dogmachris

dogmachris

That's the custom fog option in the material settings. Untick the checkbox that says "Enable Custom Fog", then it should show at all distances.

Tinjaw likes this.
  8. VirtualDawn

VirtualDawn

I'm trying to use Aquas in Vive vr game, but the image tears and stutters on head(camera) movement when aquas is on. There's considerable frame rate drop also with aquas, but I don't think the tearing is related to fps.
    Can you think of something I could try? Could you make optimizations for vr? It'd be great selling point if you got the best vr performance...

9. dogmachris

dogmachris

@DeanSledgehammer I know that AQUAS has been successfully used with the Oculus rift so far, but not by myself, so there's not a lot of info I have on that. I know however that VR gear - be it Oculus or Vive - is pretty demanding in terms of hardware requirements. The AQUAS water isn't very performance-heavy, but the underwater effects use image effects, which make them a bit more demanding, than just having water in the scene.
    Could you elaborate a little further on the "tearing"? I can't imagine what you mean.

10. jammer42777

jammer42777

Hello,
    I am an alloy user.
    Alloy uses its own lighting system and custom brdf over the entire scene.

However they do not have a water shader.
    I messaged them about that and as far as finding a water shader they replied:

<QUOTE>
    Unfortunately, this is an area where we have trouble integrating third party shaders as they tend to either write their own shader framework or use a custom lighting model. So unless they are deferred compatible, or use the Standard or StandardSpecular lighting models, they can't be integrated cleanly with Alloy.
    </QUOTE>

Would Aquos work under these conditions?
    Thanks!
    --Joshua

11. dogmachris

dogmachris

Hi @jammer42777 I haven't tested AQUAS with Alloy, so I can't make a qualified statement on this. I have used it with custom lighting systems such as Tenkoku and TOD - both worked fine. I've heard from 2 people that there was an issue with Unistorm's lighting, but it seems to have been resolved.
    However, you're free to try out and if it doesn't work as it should, I'll give you a full refund, no problem.

Cheers
    Chris

12. adventurefan

adventurefan

13. dogmachris

dogmachris

@adventurefan AQUAS 1.3 will have a buoyancy feature among other things. I plan to have the update released in a couple of weeks. Check out the WIP thread for more info:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/wip-flowmap-rivers-for-aquas.401340/

14. AlexHell

AlexHell

I need help. AQUAS-lite in our game is bad, on screenshot you can see what Water has drawn above explosion particles.
    http://prntscr.com/ban9qn
    I'm has changed layers, culling, add/delete aquas_camera script, etc.
    I'm use deferred rendering. I have 3 cameras - main, hud, gui - with correct culling layers.
    I'm check case - add 4 camera for water - nothing changed to better.
    Unity version is Unity 5.3.4f1 (64-bit)

Second issie - disabling Aquas_reflection script does not work, reflections always drawn! and of all layers (including other particle layers what i want to not reflected)! Disabling reflections on shader does not work too!

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  15. dogmachris

dogmachris

@AlexHell looks like a render queue thing. Please check THIS POST and see if it helps. Let me know, if it doesn't.

16. AlexHell

AlexHell

index 2800 is works! but i am not like "magic numbers".. how it is work?

17. dogmachris

dogmachris

@AlexHell it works by simply altering the order in which things are rendered. The lower the value (index), the earlier it is being rendered, the earlier it is being rendered, the more likely it is seen behind another object with a higher render queue. Higher values mean that an object is being rendered later and thus on top of other objects.

This rule only applies to shaders that can't use the z-buffer. Shaders that can use the z-buffer, use it to determine the render order and don't need a predetermined render queue.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  18. AlexHell

AlexHell

1) all reflections is disabled http://prntscr.com/baqfrx
    2) only shader "enable reflections" is enabled http://prntscr.com/baqg02 (darker because self-reflections?) (in this case i can tweak shader properties like reflection intensity)
    3) all is enabled - absolutely like case 2
    4) only aquas_reflections script is enabled - absolutely like case 1

19. dogmachris

dogmachris

@AlexHell it seems to me, like your arrows are pointing on the shadows - is that what you mean?

20. AlexHell

AlexHell

shadows with distortion... reflections?
    I mean that all 4 cases produces equals reflections on water.

21. dogmachris

dogmachris

@AlexHell what happens if you disable the shadows on your directional light?

22. AlexHell

AlexHell

http://prntscr.com/basti5 water dissapear if select "no shadow" on direct light

23. AlexHell

AlexHell

It seems that there is always shadows transforms to water reflections (and culling field of aquas_reflections script not need), in my configuration of cameras/lights/etc.. it's not big issue for my case, but i think this is a bug, or my config is uncommon

24. AlexHell

AlexHell

if i only select other quality level http://prntscr.com/baxh99 (with "no shadow" quality) the water is not dissapear, it's only dissapear when i change property "no shadow" on direct light, strange but not critical..

25. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Thought I'd share my Amazon murky lake I'm working on, can't wait for the new update, especially the buoyancy feature! Alex, I had that problem as well with the water not showing when the main light has no shadows. However it seemed to have gotten fixed in one of the recent updates. In fact the image below doesn't use any shadows on the main light at the highest quality level.

Amazon.jpg

26. jammer42777

jammer42777

Thank you very much!
    I'll try it out when I get paid and setup some terrain!
    I'll send video!
    --Joshua

27. sstrong

sstrong

Hey Chris, what's the best way to change the material/shader on a body of water? Is their a script API/method I can call to get the list of available materials for AQUAS?

change_shader1.png change_shader2.png change_shader3.png

28. sstrong

sstrong

We've seen this issue with multiple terrains and AQUAS and Landscape Builder but we can't determine what the problem is. Any thoughts?

terrain_lighting_issue1.png terrain_lighting_issue1_no_water.png

29. Tinjaw

Tinjaw

I've seen that too. I thought it was related to terrain shading, but I never got around to investigating.

30. sstrong

sstrong

Here's a sample scene with AQUAS and Landscape Builder with a few splashes of water on the lens. We really like this feature!

Forest With Mountains And Lake 2.png

31. sstrong

sstrong

32. dogmachris

dogmachris

That looks very nice indeed. :)

33. dogmachris

dogmachris

@sstrong @Tinjaw I've seen it too once or twice, but never even had the idea it could be due to AQUAS, especially because it was sporadiaclly. But honestly at this point I have no idea.

34. dogmachris

dogmachris

@sstrong there's a few example materials with different shaders in the package. If you want to create your own water material, first create a material, then in the material's inspector you can select the shader - the shaders are all to find under "AQUAS".
    Select the one you want to use, specify the parameters and drop the material on the waterplane. You can use one of the existing materials if you're uncertain what values to use for certain parameters. Also when you edit the water material, it's good to have animated materials enabled in edit mode.

35. sstrong

sstrong

We like some of the effects we can do with AQUAS and LB.

Tropical Island 24.png

Tinjaw likes this.
  36. martire

martire

Hi!

Can you give some help, please?

In the editor and in the runtime Aquas works normally. However, after building my game (Windows x86), I'm receiving these messages in the Console and the water disappears in the game...

Shader error in 'AQUAS/Desktop and Web/Double-Sided/Triple-Textured Bumpy': variable 'd' used without having been completely initialized at line 234 (on d3d9)

Compiling Fragment program with DIRECTIONAL SHADOWS_OFF LIGHTMAP_ON DIRLIGHTMAP_SEPARATE DYNAMICLIGHTMAP_ON
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING

Shader error in 'AQUAS/Desktop and Web/Double-Sided/Triple-Textured Bumpy': variable 'd' used without having been completely initialized at line 234 (on d3d11)

Compiling Fragment program with DIRECTIONAL SHADOWS_OFF LIGHTMAP_ON DIRLIGHTMAP_SEPARATE DYNAMICLIGHTMAP_OFF
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING

Do you know what that could be? I'm not a programmer so I'm kinda lost here :(

37. magique

magique

dogmachris likes this.
  38. martire

martire

39. dogmachris

dogmachris

@martire do you still get the error, when using 5.4 b18?

40. TryHarder

TryHarder

Hello,

Ok so I must be doing something really stupid but I cant see any water at all, I followed the pool tutorial and added the material to my plane but the plane goes transparent, if I add a different material it appears as Id expect. I'm running the latest version of Unity 5, but I'm guessing I'm being really stupid somewhere.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

41. dogmachris

dogmachris

@TryHarder - TRY HARDER! :p

Just joking. ;)
    First if you're working with GL (eg. on a Mac) or GLES, you always have to attach the AQUAS_Camera script to the camera, when working in forward rendering mode.
    The other reason, the water might show as invisible is, if you have DX9 set as the graphics API for thge Editor. Go to the player settings (Standalone) and check: If it's DX9, switch to DX11. DX9 is excluded in the AQUAS shaders, because it uses some data types, that sometimes cause trouble with DX9.

Does any of the above solve your problem?

42. TryHarder

TryHarder

Hello,

Wow that was fast, thank you.

And nope :( Tried both my target platform is Android if that helps.

43. TryHarder

TryHarder

....And if I try the mobile materials they are pink :( Hmmm somethings not right, if I try Unity water its pink too.

44. dogmachris

dogmachris

How's everything, if you create a fresh project? Does it work there?

45. TryHarder

TryHarder

Working now, deleted my Standard assets and re-imported Environment and alls fixed, weird !

Oh well now I have beautiful water !!!

Thank you so much for all your help !

46. dogmachris

dogmachris

You're welcome. :)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  47. martire

martire

Now I'm getting this error in 5.4 b18 too...
    I don't have idea what could be.

Console shows 4 errors after building (and build doesn't start or starts and doesn't show the water):

Shader error in 'Nature/Terrain/Standard': Program 'frag_surf', error X4510: maximum number of samplers exceeded. ps_3_0 target can have a maximum of 16 samplers (on d3d9)

Compiling Fragment program with DIRECTIONAL SHADOWS_SCREEN LIGHTMAP_ON DIRLIGHTMAP_SEPARATE DYNAMICLIGHTMAP_ON _TERRAIN_NORMAL_MAP

Shader error in 'Hidden/TerrainEngine/Splatmap/Standard-AddPass': Program 'frag_surf', error X4510: maximum number of samplers exceeded. ps_3_0 target can have a maximum of 16 samplers (on d3d9)

Compiling Fragment program with DIRECTIONAL SHADOWS_SCREEN LIGHTMAP_ON DIRLIGHTMAP_SEPARATE DYNAMICLIGHTMAP_ON _TERRAIN_NORMAL_MAP

Shader error in 'AQUAS/Desktop and Web/Double-Sided/Triple-Textured Bumpy': variable 'd' used without having been completely initialized at line 234 (on d3d9)

Compiling Fragment program with DIRECTIONAL SHADOWS_OFF LIGHTMAP_ON DIRLIGHTMAP_SEPARATE DYNAMICLIGHTMAP_ON

Shader error in 'AQUAS/Desktop and Web/Double-Sided/Triple-Textured Bumpy': variable 'd' used without having been completely initialized at line 234 (on d3d11)

Compiling Fragment program with DIRECTIONAL SHADOWS_OFF LIGHTMAP_ON DIRLIGHTMAP_SEPARATE DYNAMICLIGHTMAP_OFF

:(

48. dogmachris

dogmachris

@martire I'm not exactly sure this is an AQUAS-specific error. See half of your errors come from Unity's Standard terrain shader. Maybe post that in the beta forum? - It seems to me like a Unity bug honestly.

49. martire

martire

Thanks @dogmachris, I'll do that :)

50. dogmachris

dogmachris

Here's a screenshot of the upcoming 1.3 version:

magique, runningbird, Sigstan and 7 others like this.