Search Unity

AQUAS Water/River Set - Water & Rivers for Mobile, VR, Web, Desktop

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dogmachris, Jan 8, 2016.

1. dogmachris

dogmachris

@creat327 yeah, I also thought of that solution, however it's only viable as long as the water is a perfectly flat plane. Since AQUAS is planned to have waves in the future, it would render this solution useless. :(

2. runningbird

runningbird

for me it's not a huge deal I just wanted to bring it up.

3. hopeful

hopeful

That's what I was thinking of doing.

4. helgarddebarros

helgarddebarros

I have a question about multiple terrain support. My game uses 25 terrains, created by Terrain Composer, in a 5x5 grid. The terrain on which the play is standing is visible, and the terrains adjoining it. As the player moves from one to another terrain, the game dynamically unloads and loads the needed terrains. This gives me quite a massive world.

But I see that Aquas only supports loading in one terrain (in the quick setup video). Is it possible to maybe add the ability to use multiple terrains?

jonfinlay likes this.
  5. googler

googler

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  6. GhereGames

GhereGames

I'm just got Aquas and am using it with Gaia and Unistorm. When Unistorm is using a purple for night time light, the water is too purple and when I go underwater, the bubbles are purple also.

What is the best way to integrate Aquas and Unistorm together? Has anyone else seen this or a similar behavior?

Thanks!

7. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Check the previous page, somebody else had this issue. I think the solution was to add Aquas to the scene before UniStorm.

8. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

I've managed to add a little buoyancy effect to Aquas, without coding. This may be useful for non-programmers. I just added a capsule collider to some sticks, added a rigidbody with a drag and angular drag both set at 0.5, freezed the Y position, and positioned them just under the surface of the water. If you see about two-thirds into the video, the stick spins when it's pushed up against the edge, to get round this just add a second shorter collider at a 90 degrees horizontal angle. Probably many people know about this, but useful for others who are starting out in Unity.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  9. GhereGames

GhereGames

I had read through that but wasn't the same issue I was getting. I'll swap the order I add Unistorm and Aquas to see how that affects it. thanks

10. dogmachris

dogmachris

@helgarddebarros setting up AQUAS with the quick setup works with only one terrain object. However the positioning of the waterplane isn't tied to the terrain's position. You can simply reposition it as you like and rescale it to cover all your terrain tiles.
    If you don't want the water to be that large, you can manually add water to the scene, by using a standard Unity plane and dropping a water material on it. Then resize the plane to be exactly as large as one terrain tile and duplicate it to have one water tile for each terrain tile. If the terrain tiles are just being enabled and disabled via script (dunno how TC handles the terrain tiling), you could simply make each water tile a child object of its corresponding terrain tile and the water would "stream" together with your terrain. - Keep in mind though, that the standard Unity plane has a different UV layout than the waterplane, so it'll require MUCH higher tiling values for the wave textures.

I'll do a video tutorial on how to create water tiles with AQUAS, but as of yet, AQUAS doesn't have a script to control streaming. Yet since I got some more questions regarding tiled water, I'll probably add such a feature in a future update.

BackwoodsGaming and hopeful like this.
  11. helgarddebarros

helgarddebarros

DogmaChris, so the caustics, etc, will work on all the terrains? My question was because another water package I tried also had a terrain you added, but then the caustics only affected the one terrain, not the others. I am using Terrain Composer and RTP.

12. dogmachris

dogmachris

@googler That behaviour happens on certain devices and we suspect it's related to the z-buffer on mobiles. It's a bit hard for me to figure out how to solve this, but I'm working on a solution. For now could you please try to reduce the far clipping plane of your camera severely and tell me, if that changes anything? I'd do it myself, but can't because the issue doesn't show on any of my devices.

13. dogmachris

dogmachris

Yes, the caustics should work on all terrains, but you need to scale the orthographic size of the caustics projectors, either to exactly the size of one terrain tile, then you could keep the caustics projectors attached to each water tile, or to the size of the overall terrain, then however you'd have to keep it activated all the time, not only when the corresponding tile is active.

14. dogmachris

dogmachris

Supposed you're using the triple textured shader, it grabs the color of the light source for the specular gloss. Does reducing the specular value on the waterplane material solve the issue? If the issue extends beyond the color of the specular gloss, could you attach a screenshot, so I can get a clearer picture of what's going on?

Cheers
    Chris

15. creat327

creat327

not really. You set the clear flag properly and it clears whatever is not the water area

16. googler

googler

1) we've tested demo scene and got BAD results on iphone 6s, 6, ipod 6; GOOD results on iphone 5, 5s. Same results with our test scene : good results only with iphone 5 and 5s: http://take.ms/QzszP
    2) Reducing far clip plane helped a bit: http://take.ms/raq6e, but the probem remains

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  17. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

Could someone test something for me with the current version? I am using 5.2.4f1 for an Android app and AQUAS doesn't appear in the scene. I have tried building to the device and just doing it local but the shader seems to be transparent. No errors or console logs, just no water.

18. fastbomb

fastbomb

My camera seems to flip upside down when I go underwater in the Demo or a fresh Gaia Build. Switching the Rendering Path to Forward fixes the issue for a random amount of time. Occassionally, my Camera remains flipped when I leave the water. At other times, the Camera snaps to the proper rotation after the Drying Time is finished.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am going to try another fresh install of Aquas and Gaia. Wish me luck!

EDIT - Another weird thing is that my Camera Preview is displaying correctly

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  19. dogmachris

dogmachris

@CaptainMurphy Is it only invisible in the build only or in the editor?
    If it's invisible in the editor, please go to the player settings and set the standalone graphics API to DX11.
    If it's invisible in the build only, please make sure, you have the AQUAS_Camera script attached to the camera.

20. dogmachris

dogmachris

@fastbomb Are you using UFPS by any chance?

21. dogmachris

dogmachris

@KristoferBoman @pixxelbob @googler Okay, so it seems the problem is the limited depth buffer on certain mobile devices. Some devices have sufficient support, others have only limited support and some older devices have no z-buffer support at all.

I'm now trying to work out a solution, by limiting the depth texture rendering to a single layer, but for the time being the only (partly) solution is to reduce the far clipping plane value as much as possible.

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience, I just didn't foresee that, since it worked fine on my own devices. I'll keep the thread updated on that.

22. dogmachris

dogmachris

@Arganth @Geoffc Here's a tutorial on making pools and basins:

If anyone is interested, I've also done a quick tutorial on how to make seamless water tiles:

montyfi, hopeful, Teila and 1 other person like this.
  23. fastbomb

fastbomb

I use UFPS from time to time but the issue is happening with the provided Demo Scene and a Clean Scene using Gaia. Maybe it is a problem with Unity. What version of Unity should we be using?

Also, what type of problems have you seen with UFPS? Are the problems due to the Camera Setup?

EDIT - It is working with Unity 5.3.4p4. Thanks for making a great asset! Can't wait to dive in further. Any info or observations about Aquas and UFPS would be very appreciated! All the best!

dogmachris likes this.
  24. dogmachris

dogmachris

Okay, didn't know this issue was limited to certain Unity versions. I had 2 people in total hitting me up with this kind of behaviour so far and both of them experienced it using UFPS. That's why I asked. Good to see, it's working now, though I don't know how this issue could've been caused. If it's limited to certain Unity versions, I might have to create a bug report.

Cheers and thank you very much for the info! :)

25. jimmikaelkael

jimmikaelkael

26. fastbomb

fastbomb

Okay, for anyone interested UFPS 1.5.2 works with Aquas 1.2.2 and Gaia 1.5.3 in Unity 5.3.4p4 [That is a heck of a lot of numbers!]. It is a no-brainer if you have used Aquas before.

Set the Rendering Path of FPSCamera to Deferred & the Rendering Path of Weapon Camera to Forward. Also, paste the appropriate components from Example Player into the FPSCamera.

Excited to start tweaking this!

27. dogmachris

dogmachris

Thank you so much for taking the time to test all that out! :)
    Much appreciated!!!

Cheers!

28. helgarddebarros

helgarddebarros

OK, I am using Aquas with Terrain Composer, RTP and Unistorm.

I imported and added Aquas before adding Unistorm, and I got no conflicts. I manually enabled the sunshafts so that is working correctly. I had to change the values of the bloom because it was way too high.

So, everything works and the water looks perfect, but something is not right with my sky colour. I have tried various things, like disabling scripts on the camera, changing the ambient or fog colours in Unistorm, but nothing seems to be having an effect.

Before Aquas my sky used to be very blue. Now with Aquas it has a greenish tinge to it that I can't get rid of. Anyone else using Unistorm getting the same? Anyone have any suggestions of what to fiddle with?

Attached Files:

29. smada-luap

smada-luap

Must make a note of this to watch later. I'm currently working on a dungeon scene that might benefit from a pool :D

dogmachris likes this.
  30. dogmachris

dogmachris

@helgarddebarros I've used all of the assets you mentioned, except for Unistorm. Try the following:

1. I don't know if Unistorm uses a custom reflection probe, but if it does, try disabling the reflection probe that comes as a child object of the waterplane (when setting it up via Quick Setup).

2. Disable the AQUAS_Reflection script on the waterplane.

Does one of the above solve the problem?

31. dogmachris

dogmachris

@smada luap Would love to see it! :)

32. helgarddebarros

helgarddebarros

No, disabling those has no effect on the sky. I looked at Unistorm and I don't see any reflection probes, or reflection scripts.

Attached Files:

33. smada-luap

smada-luap

Everything's still very much a WIP but I think the water's sorted out :)

screen_1920x1080_2016-04-26_21-27-48.jpg

34. Belagar

Belagar

I have this problem with the underwater effects that i was hoping you could help me figured out.... in the pic below there are arrows pointing to it....any suggestions?

Attached Files:

35. runningbird

runningbird

Is there a way to make the underwater not so blurry?
    Grab 20160425234021 w1900h1200 x27y39z-405r275.jpg

36. runningbird

runningbird

Love the look of the water around the rocks Grab 20160425223639 w1900h1200 x-228y53z-205r166.jpg
    Grab 20160425225450 w1900h1200 x-275y51z-190r176.jpg

dogmachris and jimmikaelkael like this.
  37. helgarddebarros

helgarddebarros

runningbird, look on your camera. There is a "Blur Optomised" and "Noise and Grain" script. You can set the blur amount there.

Attached Files:

• blur.JPG
      blur.JPG
      File size:
      239.5 KB
      Views:
    dogmachris likes this.
  38. jimmikaelkael

jimmikaelkael

Your Post FX stack is badly ordered...

39. dogmachris

dogmachris

Maybe I'm ill-informed, but does the order of the components in the inspector actually matter?

40. Arganth

Arganth

yes matters a great deal (at least with post fx)

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/camera-post-fx-sequence-order.388674/

by mika

Some post process are going to simulate part of the lighting on the scene (SSAO, SSR), some post process will simulate how a camera or human eye perceive the scene lighting (DOF, motion blut) and some post process will modify how the camera perceive colors (color correction, color grading).

To be "physically correct" you first need to compute the scene lighting to be used as an input for how the camera perceive the scene. Then, you compute how the camera perceive the scene and you finalize with colors manipulation.

1- Scene lighting post process (SSR, SSAO, ....)
    2- Camera/lens/eye Perception post process (Depth of field, motion blur, Bloom, ...)
    3- Color Correction/ Color grading (Tonemapping, LUT, ...)
    4- Antialiasing

Globally, something like this:
    -SSR
    -SSAO
    -DoF
    -Motion Blur
    -Bloom
    -Tonemapping
    -LUT/color grading
    -Antialiasing

Tonemapping is used to map HDR color range to LDR color range. Most LUT/Color grading tools only works in LDR, this is why you need to put tonemapping before color grading.

41. jimmikaelkael

jimmikaelkael

Absolutely!

I'd use:
    - SSAO
    - Global Fog
    - Blur or DOF
    - Sun Shafts
    - Vignetting
    - AA
    - Noise

EDIT: Well, sorry but @Arganth has been faster :)

42. helgarddebarros

helgarddebarros

Thanks, I never knew this. maybe that's why my sky has the wrong tone. Thanks guys, I will order this and see what effect it has.

43. dogmachris

dogmachris

Yep, I'm familiar with the way post fx work in general, but I never thought, the order makes that much of a difference - good to know.
    Thank you for the info guys! :)

44. helgarddebarros

helgarddebarros

Ok, changed the order of the EFX on the camera, the greenish tinge is gone, but the sky still looks "leaden". In the first pic the sky was a pale blue before adding Aquas, and now it is dark after Aquas.

Attached Files:

45. jimmikaelkael

jimmikaelkael

Does unistorm places a script on the camera ?

46. montyfi

montyfi

I think your sky is just inverted. I had that problem with Unistorm a couple months ago, I don't remember exactly what was caused that, but it was fixed. You could search Unistorm forum for solution. Are you sure you have the latest version?

47. helgarddebarros

helgarddebarros

I don't think it does. The last four are added by Aquas, and the SSAO I added.

Attached Files:

48. dogmachris

dogmachris

I'll install Unistorm later today and see if I can somehow reproduce the problem. In the meantime try disabling the components on the camera one by one, that should enable you to identify which one is actually causing the issue.

49. helgarddebarros

helgarddebarros

Turned off each effect on the camera one by one, no change. Then I turned off the "Underwater Camera effects" and the sky is blue again and the clouds are white (first pic). The other pic shows the sky dark and clouds dark when the underwater effects is on.

Attached Files:

• sky2.JPG
      sky2.JPG
      File size:
      476.9 KB
      Views:
    • sky.JPG
      sky.JPG
      File size:
      405.5 KB
      Views:
  50. dogmachris

dogmachris

Okay so it's not the water itself but the underwater stuff. There's a child object called AirLens. Does everything look normal, if you deactivate it?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016