Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

AQUAS Water/River Set - Water & Rivers for Mobile, VR, Web, Desktop

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dogmachris, Jan 8, 2016.

1. dogmachris

dogmachris

Actually you should see the caustics automatically after you've set up the waterplane. Look for caustics projectors that are children of the waterplane. Are they there? Also check the demo scenes (HQ) and check if caustics work there.

Zimnel likes this.
  2. dogmachris

dogmachris

If you're using AQUAS 2020, a good place to start would be to disable realtime reflections in the material settings (the script also) and increase reflection probe reflections amount. The environment is usually not mapped correctly when using reflection probes, but increasing the distortion should obfuscate that fact.

3. dogmachris

dogmachris

Working on it, but I am simultaneously working on something else too - something that might actually dwarf AQUAS, but it's not related to water - more to come soon.

4. Zimnel

Zimnel

Hi, thanks for the fast response : )

In the Aquas examples the caustics material works ok, as seen here:
    https://postimg.cc/Yj0m95hX

But in my scene, the caustics ortographic size somehow bloats to 1000 in playmode.
    And then the caustics material simply is not showing:
    https://postimg.cc/WFCptfHK

5. dogmachris

dogmachris

Ok, just for the sake of trying, delete the waterplane and set it up again using the setup wizard, see if it works, and PM me, if it doesn't.

Zimnel likes this.
  6. jnoelcook

jnoelcook

Hi, and yes. I have figured it out. Thanks for getting back with me, however. Love your work. !!!

dogmachris likes this.
  7. Zimnel

Zimnel

I finally got caustics to work correctly. I created a fresh project just with Aquas and preset islands. I followed the same steps and this time caustics worked as they should : )

I'll study the other scenes / projects to see the differences.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    dsilverthorn likes this.
  8. Vincent_Stagg

Vincent_Stagg

I have Aqua installed but I can't find it in the Gaia Pro Extensions area, the videos I've found online all seem to be outdated :( How do I add Aqua to Gaia, please
    noaquawater.PNG

9. Zimnel

Zimnel

10. SawyerK

SawyerK

Thank you! It looks pretty good now!
    Another question.
    Is there a way to make this work with Enviro's post effect fog? If i set the render queue to 0 it works with the fog but the water starts glitching and looks weird.

11. Vincent_Stagg

Vincent_Stagg

12. dogmachris

dogmachris

That's weird, but I admit, I've seen it before, not working for some obscure reason, then in the next project it worked like a charm - funny because it's nothing more but a simple projector.

Zimnel likes this.
  13. dogmachris

dogmachris

Hi there, the GX file for Gaia in AQUAS is not up to date, that's why it's not showing at the moment. However there is nothing to worry about, AQUAS works as always using the setup wizard.

14. dogmachris

dogmachris

I see you're not using AQUAS 2020. This issue is unfortunately not trivial. AQUAS 2020 has depth buffer support, that - if turned on will render any screen space fog correctly, but the old AQUAS requires some adaptation on the enviro side. Hendrik haupt - the maker of enviro - knows better about this than I do, I'm afraid.

15. SawyerK

SawyerK

Okay, Thank you.
    Sadly i cant use AQUAS 2020 because im using Unity 2019.1.5f1.
    But i will contact Hendrik.

16. Dogtanian

Dogtanian

Is it possible to get Aquas 2000 working with both foam and fog simultaneously? I've set up a shore scene with foam just how I want it but when I add the Depth Support component to my main camera (just as shown in the tutorial video), then the foam vanishes.

Is this intentional and/or is there any other way to achieve both effects at the same time.

17. wood333

wood333

Red Errors solved. Due to conflict with another asset.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  18. wood333

wood333

Issue: My character is able to run across the static boundary's box collider though it is clearly checked "Is Kinematic" If the character stops running it oozes down to about knee deep then falls through. Any thoughts on this. Otherwise the water and underwater are working fine.

This may be due to friction on a physics material Invector 3rd person controller uses on it's player's capsule collider. I have queried Invector.

EDIT: Neither Invector nor Aquas has responded to my queries. I believe I have a fix for the Invector character controller walking on Aquas water. The box collider on the Aquas 2020 static boundary was set with Size y =1. I changed this to Y = 0.01, and now the Invector character collider falls immediately through the surface of the Aquas water. So, do you have any objection to my changing the size value of the Box Collider?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  19. Dogtanian

Dogtanian

I've now got a clear repro scenario for the rendering issue with foam when depth support is enabled. Please see this video:

Note that there seems to be two separate problems here:

1) When depth support is turned on before hitting play, the water renders completely incorrectly with no water effects at all other than simple shading as if there was just an alpha transparency effect.

2) When depth support is turned off before hitting play, the water renders completely correctly to begin with, but when depth support is turned on while the scene is playing, the foam disappears.

If anyone can help debug what's going on here, or suggest ways to fix this, it would be very much appreciated!

Edit: This is in Unity 2020.1.8f1 - default graphics settings (explicitly, with Forward rendering).

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  20. wheelbarrow

wheelbarrow

I get this error when I import the asset into Unity 2019.4.9f1:
    Assets\AQUAS\Scripts\AQUAS_CameraSwitcher.cs(29,122): error CS0103: The name 'AssetDatabase' does not exist in the current context.
    It's the latest version of Aquas. Checked your readme, nothing mentioned in there, any suggestions? Thanks.

21. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

You can delete cameraswitcher, it’s only for the demo. He fixed it several times but it sometimes is still a problem.
    You can search the forum here and see it mentioned throughout the years.

22. wheelbarrow

wheelbarrow

@dsilverthorn Many thanks for your reply, deleted it will be!! :)

23. marcjammy

marcjammy

Can I make the default ocean object square instead of circular?

24. marcjammy

marcjammy

I get several error messages on import and the asset is unusable - also no reply to previous question after 2 weeks - is this thread dead?

Attached Files:

25. zeux-n00b

zeux-n00b

Hello!
    is there a option to add second nrm texture for wave in Aquas 2020 ? i really liked like in previous version was, because artistic visuals are more important to me. I have been using it for very large wind waves that looked breathtaking from far distances. thx

26. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

27. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Apollo's Dream II is now live!
    A ton of work went into this one, I hope everyone will enjoy it.
    Creating beauty with Unity for a Virtual Experience with an original soundtrack is a lot of fun and I hope it shows in the video.

Aquas in the horse troughs for this old west experience. Still the best looking water in the store!
    Thank you @dogmachris for keeping this going! Please don't abandon it!

dogmachris likes this.
  28. dogmachris

dogmachris

Yes, if you go to the material settings, you can use whichever texture you like for waves. Not all textures will look equally good for waves though and AQUAS was optimized to work best with the one provided so do it at your own risk. :)

29. creat327

creat327

anyone knows if this works on VR with single pass?

30. dogmachris

dogmachris

In all honesty, no it does not, at least not properly and there are differences between AQUAS 2020 and AQUAS. May I ask which one you are using?

31. Uzair-Mahmood

Uzair-Mahmood

Hi,
    I just ran into same issue that it is only showing near the camera. I am trying to make it for Mobile. I have tried creating it through "Quick Setup" but still the same. Anything i am missing?

32. Kampres

Kampres

Hi, i just downloaded and imported into 2020.3.5 3D URP project. All materials are pink and render pipeline upgrade doesn't work - i can get them to work but not sure what shader setting i should be choosing.

When i do get them to work and implement - i cannot see what they look like or record it as it causes my screen to go strange.
    I used quick setup

33. dogmachris

dogmachris

Hey there, AQUAS is not compatible with URP. If you cannot use it, please send me an email, I can only offer you a refund, I'm afraid there is no quick workaround for this.

34. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

35. dogmachris

dogmachris

After the asset I'm currently working on :)

36. creat327

creat327

I've tried both. I have both versions. None seem to work on VR with single pass.

37. Kampres

Kampres

I will have to go a refund then. How exactly do i go about this? What info do i need to provide or do i just contect via the website?

38. dogmachris

dogmachris

I will need your invoice number. You can either send it through the contct form on the website or to support@dogmatic.zendesk.com

39. dogmachris

dogmachris

AQUAS 2020 was not made with VR in mind, AQUAS though should work in VR, with the exception of realtime reflections when using single pass. Can you give a little bit more insight on what you are seeing?

40. creat327

creat327

Sure. I'm seeing nothing. Absolutely nothing.
    Load any demo on Oculus Quest 2. Compile and run on single instance. You'll zero water. It doesn't mater which version you try.

41. dogmachris

dogmachris

Okay and is it just the water that is missing or do you see nothing at all? Also do you have realtime reflections on or off? The graphics API may also help and knowing whether you can see the water in the editor, that is in scene view in edit mode.

42. creat327

creat327

The problem is in the Quest and Quest 2. In the editor it seems weird, but you at least see something. And no reflections enabled. You compile and run... and nothing is seen in the Quest. Like there is no water. But you need to compile as single instance.

43. AIS_Rich

AIS_Rich

I'm using Aquas 2020. Is there a way to start with the camera underwater? Got some scenes where the player is pretty deep. and starting underwater has no fx, and the top surface renders pink.

44. awppark1

awppark1

I am trying to get my boat to float with Aquas 2020 but, it keeps sinking for some reason. I have watched your tutorial on the quick setup for an ocean and buoyancy. Tried two different models and can confirmed they had the mesh render and mesh collider attached on them. Not sure what else to test, I tried messing with different water options but, no luck

45. aer0ace

aer0ace

When I add Underwater effects to my game, I don't understand why it's not getting saved to the project. When I go to run my game, the underwater effects and all components are gone, as if I hadn't added them in the first place. Would anyone know what's going on here? The normal water effects work just fine though. I do get caustic underwater, but no other effects.

46. aer0ace

aer0ace

@dogmachris

How do I set up Underwater Effects for multiple cameras? I've tried copying the Underwater effects component and the Aquas Camera component and BoxColliders from my MainCamera to my secondary cameras, and it doesn't seem to work the same.

On more thought, I realized that my secondary cameras are rendering to a texture. Is this a problem with Underwater Effects? Is fog done in a different processing step? If so, are there any alternative solutions to get underwater fog effects to render to texture?

EDIT:
    I just read about the Depth Buffer Support. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm hoping that I can apply this to two cameras that are both rendering to two separate textures.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  47. Berir

Berir

I have Purchased aqua 2020 and I don't seem to be able to get it to work properly, I am not using Unity terrain, I am using mesh Islands, these islands are created in Maya and they are not square hence cant be converted to Unity terrain .... It seems to me Aqua does not recognize my mesh islands as terrain so it does not form any shorelines nor waves nor depth .... Does Aqua only works with the Unity Terrain component? is there a way around this ... please help ... thanks

48. aer0ace

aer0ace

Aquas Lite has served me well for a good 5 years in my project. After upgrading to Aquas 2020, I wanted to try and implement specific behavior in my game: Have 2 cameras render to texture above water, underwater, or a combination of them. I could not get this to work due to how Aquas uses screen-space calculation for underwater depth fog, even after trying the Depth Support component.

I know it's been only a couple of days since I asked my questions above, but reading from other people on this thread that they hadn't gotten responses in over a week, and other people asking if the asset is dead is highly concerning. The author insists that he is working on something bigger and better, but what about the existing paying customers? I'm afraid it seems that the author of Aquas has become a victim of his own ambition.

Anyway, I've moved on to Lux Water, because it actually solves my problem that I described above. Good luck, everyone. Aquas was great while it lasted. I can only hope the author's new asset is bigger and better.

gghitman69 likes this.
  49. bonnie56i_p847q

bonnie56i_p847q

I am trying to use AQUAS WaterRiver Set v1.5.4 on android device.

all config work fine on editor. but when i build apk on my mobile device, water is black :

Its probably something I'm missing. can anyone help me ?

50. mgear

mgear

tested in 2019.4.19f1+Oculus quest using link cable, (i know theres no full vr support but just posting for info)

underwater reflection has this issue (it goes to left / right on each eye), this was in infinite scene.
    upload_2021-8-26_9-22-22.png