Search Unity

AQUAS Water/River Set - Water & Rivers for Mobile, VR, Web, Desktop

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dogmachris, Jan 8, 2016.

1. dogmachris

dogmachris

Alright everybody, this is the second last tutorial before I resume development. This one is about making rivers.

The next one will be enabling depth support for enviro, aura and other depth-buffer based effects.

After that I'll get to development to get the projected grid and maybe some particle effects done.

hopeful, AXP1, camta005 and 1 other person like this.
  2. RadioactiveBullfrog

RadioactiveBullfrog

So… I was wrong.

After spending some time playing with the new version, I find it to be absolutely fantastic. The quality of the water is significantly improved and the reflections are phenomenal.

I do appreciate the effort you put into this as well as the results. Having said that, I do think that the set up could be improved as it was unpleasant and frustrating… Certainly it could be streamlined as I don't think my development environment is an edge case or anything. But overall I am one happy developer!

I take back what I said in my previous post… This is definitely worth the update. Thank you again.

dogmachris and camta005 like this.
  3. AXP1

AXP1

Hi @dogmachris , thank you for the reply. Yes, removing all leftovers helped to eliminate the console-errors.
    But I could not manage my scene so that also caustics are shown. Increasing the intensity does not help, also with Sun vis-a-vis there is no caustics visible. The Aquas2020 demo-scenes show caustics without any problem. I compared my caustics-settings with the ones from the Infinite-water demo and I think there are no differences.
    These are my current caustics settings:
    aquas2020_caustics_settings.PNG
    Decreasing the "Orthographic Size" to 250 (as in the demo) did not helped.

Note that I use Vegetation-Studio Pro and I have defined separate layers where vegetation is rendered (grass, plant, objects etc.). I configured these layers as "Ignore Layers", as described here.

If I set "Nothing" as "Ignore Layers", then I have the same "LSD" artifact in the scene that RadioactiveBullfrog has reported:
    aquas2020_wrong_caustics__without_ignore_layers.PNG
    (i.e. random triangles on top of the water and in the air).

What could be wrong?

4. lophochroa

lophochroa

I'm having trouble getting AQUAS 2020 to render correctly on an Oculus Rift S. Here is how my scene looks through the main camera: Annotation 2019-10-30 011953.jpg
    vs. through the OVRCameraRig: Annotation 2019-10-30 012035.jpg
    As you can see, there are no normals applied, reflections are not there, the water does not extend infinitely, and there is what appears to be a translucent white plane hovering in the middle of the view.
    My project is set to use multi-pass stereo: Annotation 2019-10-30 011853.jpg
    I could really use some help figuring out what is going wrong. Please let me know if there is any more information I can provide.

5. RadioactiveBullfrog

RadioactiveBullfrog

You want the projector to ignore pretty much every layer except your terrain and your water layers. I have these separated to begin with into these layers so it was pretty easy to just set it to ignore everything but those layers. This should get rid of the LSD effect.

AXP1 and dogmachris like this.
  6. snacktime

snacktime

Asset store is screwing up. I own Aquas and go to Aquas 2020 page and it shows my price as $0. Thinks it needs to charge me but that of course fails with a 0 amount.

7. RadioactiveBullfrog

RadioactiveBullfrog

It did the same thing with me. Just complete the purchase as normal and it should be just fine.

dogmachris likes this.
  8. dogmachris

dogmachris

It seems the caustic textures are not being loaded into the texture property of the material. These textures represent the actual caustics that are being projected. Expand the "Frames" array of the AQUAS_Caustics component, is there anything in it?

9. dogmachris

dogmachris

Where's all the darkness on your water coming from if I may ask? Are you using the depth support component on the camera or do you only have point/spot lights in the scene?

I'm awaiting my Oculus Rift S this weekend, so that's when I'll test myself with the same gear.

10. dogmachris

dogmachris

Alright everybody, I have the last tutorial ready (for the time being, I have several useful ones still in the pipeline, but I have to resume development now). This one shows how to enable depth buffer support for AQUAS to make it work with effects that rely on it, such as realtime shadows, screen space fog and volumetric lighting.

@Vondox @raphick
    To test and demonstrate, I'm using enviro and aura 2 for this tutorial.

11. snacktime

snacktime

I tried it with express checkout and it failed, maybe the normal checkout might work I'll give that a shot.

12. dogmachris

dogmachris

I'm sorry I cannot gelp with that. May I ask what happens when you try to proceed?

13. jayalter

jayalter

Do any of the AQUAS versions support the LW or HD pipeline yet? I'm interested in purchasing the asset but not if it doesn't support the HD or LW pipeline. Thanks!

14. DavidBVal

DavidBVal

Is there a quick and easy way to disable all AQUAS reflection from code?

15. dogmachris

dogmachris

The easiest way would be to simply disable the reflection component and the reflection probe via script and uncheck the checkboxes in the material that enable realtime and reflection probe reflections - can all be done via script.

16. dogmachris

dogmachris

I'm sorry, but no version of AQUAS supports SRP at this point.

17. lophochroa

lophochroa

Thanks for your reply! The scene is lit with two spotlights and a skybox.
    Could you help me understand what you mean by depth support component on the camera? I am using the OVRCameraRig prefab from Oculus.

18. Andy3D

Andy3D

Loving the look of Aquas 2020 so far, but not able to get it playing nicely with Gaia & Enviro.Tried with Ambient Skies too. It all looks great until at some stage it fails and the water remains black & unlit.
    Another problem is that when I add the camera lock to make the waterplane scale to frustum, it does scale it at runtime but throws a NullObjectReference Object reference not set to an instance of an object AQUAS.AQUAS_CamLock.Start() at Assets/AQUAS 2020/Scripts/AQUAS_CamLock.cs:26

19. Andy3D

Andy3D

It seems the water goes black when I set the time of day with Ambient Skies.
    From memory, it was something similar when I added Enviro - the skies worked, but I lost the water plane texture.
    I'll continue reading through this forum, but anyone know what I am missing?

20. AXP1

AXP1

Hi Chris,

The caustics texture frames are existing (there are 256 frames, as in the demos):

aquas2020_caustics_frames.PNG

And if I expand the caustics shader properties, there is no Texture, but in the demos there is also no Texture at all (and in the demos I see caustics without problems).

aquas2020_caustics_settings2.PNG

I have tried to open a demo (from the "Hi quality" folder), and play with it.
    - first open the demo scene and check the caustics => Caustics are OK
    - then configure a texture layer for the terrain => Caustics are still OK
    - then configure CTS2019 for the terrain => Caustics are NOT rendered

Is there some compatibility issue with CTS 2019? Should I change something in the CTS config, in order to work with Aquas2020 ?
    Thanks for helping,
    Cheers,
    Peter

21. Bavatt

Bavatt

Camera to copy from must not be null
    UnityEngine.Camera:CopyFrom(Camera)
    AQUAS.AQUAS_DepthSupport:Start() (at Assets/AQUAS 2020/Scripts/AQUAS_DepthSupport.cs:31)

Anybody else getting this error? Its just a scene with Gaia and then adding aquas 2020 through ext manager then adding deep water ocean, then adding depth support and adding the water plane. error kicks up on hitting play. should be able to find the camera component no problem but isn't for some reason

22. jayalter

jayalter

Thanks for the response. I'll keep my eye on your asset and keep fingers crossed for a HDRP release in the near future!

23. DropNodes

DropNodes

Hello, how can we setup Aquas without having a camera on terrain? (Instantiating the player with the camera) - Important

24. dogmachris

dogmachris

@Andy3D

Have you tried the tutorial in this post?

25. dogmachris

dogmachris

I have tested the caustics with CTS, it shouldn't be a problem. Do you have post processing enabled?
    What object are you adding the depth support component to? Does it have a camera component on it and if so, does it also have it on it, when you hit play, or is there some other script handling cameras somewhere?

26. dogmachris

dogmachris

With AQUAS 2020 it's easy: Set up the water using the setup wizard, then make a prefab of the camera and delete it from the hierarchy. You can instantiate the camera prefab at runtime and it should work - at least it did on my end. Would that work for you?

27. dogmachris

dogmachris

Hm... have a look at the AQUAS_CamLock.cs script in the waterplane's inspector. Is the cam property null or did you drop your main camera there?

28. Bavatt

Bavatt

@dogmachris oh thank you haha I must have misplaced it. I appreciate your response. 10/10 asset.

29. AxonGenesis

AxonGenesis

I'm having trouble with the underwater effects. They stop working after going underwater and coming back out. This is using the Lake demo scene with a fresh import of the latest AQUAS 2020. Each time I enter play mode, the first dive underwater looks good, but then when I surface and go under again, the underwater effects are gone and the underside of the water is white. Any way to fix this? There are no errors or warnings in the console fyi

30. Jbaker08

Jbaker08

Hi, I'm having serious issues with using AQUAS whilst changing camera field of view in real time.
    It seems as though when I modify the FOV of the main camera, the water almost 'raises' in height and gets closer to the camera. You can really see this when the camera field of view is gradually increasing like a slow camera zoom.

Do you know what could be causing this?

I've tried modifying the depth buffer using the script provided but it doesn't affect anything.

Thanks

31. dogmachris

dogmachris

Hey there,

have a look at the camera's inspector. There should be a collider component. It triggers the underwater effects when it intersects with the staticBoundary object (child of the waterplane). Is it still there after you dive in the first time?

32. dogmachris

dogmachris

Please let me know a bit more about your setup:
    - Are you using AQUAS or AQUAS 2020?
    - Are you using any components that enhance the water functionality (infinite water, depth support)?

I have tested a basic setup on my end, adjusting the FOV at runtime and got this result:

This looks just like I would expect. Do you get a different result?

33. AxonGenesis

AxonGenesis

Yes, the collider is there and nothing is being destroyed. I can reproduce this with the Lake demo scene (high quality) with no modifications made to it. I tried importing AQUAS 2020 into a new empty project and it was working fine, but in the project I want to use it in the underwater effects turn off. I've tried deleting and reimporting the package, but and got it to work for a minute, but then turned off again. I don't know why the project would make any difference. The assets are identical and there are not script errors or warnings.

34. DropNodes

DropNodes

ok in the build I get these errors:

ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: mat
    at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Graphics.Internal_BlitMaterial5(UnityEngine.Texture,UnityEngine.RenderTexture,UnityEngine.Material,int,bool)
    at UnityEngine.Graphics.Blit (UnityEngine.Texture source, UnityEngine.RenderTexture dest, UnityEngine.Material mat, System.Int32 pass) [0x00006] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime\Export\Graphics\Graphics.cs:560
    at UnityEngine.Graphics.Blit (UnityEngine.Texture source, UnityEngine.RenderTexture dest, UnityEngine.Material mat) [0x00005] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime\Export\Graphics\Graphics.cs:570
    at AQUAS.AQUAS_VolumeMask.OnRenderImage (UnityEngine.RenderTexture source, UnityEngine.RenderTexture destination) [0x0004f] in C:\Unity Projects\ - 2019.2.11f1 PC\Assets\AQUAS 2020\Scripts\Underwater\AQUAS_VolumeMask.cs:74

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/Graphics/Graphics.cs Line: 560)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    at AQUAS.AQUAS_UnderWaterEffect_Simple.OnRenderImage (UnityEngine.RenderTexture source, UnityEngine.RenderTexture destination) [0x00228] in C:\Unity Projects\ - 2019.2.11f1 PC\Assets\AQUAS 2020\Scripts\Underwater\AQUAS_UnderWaterEffect_Simple.cs:323

(Filename: C:/Unity Projects/ - 2019.2.11f1 PC/Assets/AQUAS 2020/Scripts/Underwater/AQUAS_UnderWaterEffect_Simple.cs Line: 323)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    at AQUAS.AQUAS_UnderWaterEffect_Simple.WetLensDistortionSwitch (System.Boolean isUnderwater) [0x00007] in C:\Unity Projects\ - 2019.2.11f1 PC\Assets\AQUAS 2020\Scripts\Underwater\AQUAS_UnderWaterEffect_Simple.cs:473
    at AQUAS.AQUAS_UnderWaterEffect_Simple.Update () [0x000b1] in C:\Unity Projects\ - 2019.2.11f1 PC\Assets\AQUAS 2020\Scripts\Underwater\AQUAS_UnderWaterEffect_Simple.cs:364

(Filename: C:/Unity Projects/ - 2019.2.11f1 PC/Assets/AQUAS 2020/Scripts/Underwater/AQUAS_UnderWaterEffect_Simple.cs Line: 473)

and the underwater effects not work and I have this image:https://ibb.co/h8KYd8s

PC builds in both IL2CPP and MONO have the same error/image. In editor, everything works fine and no errors. Using the simple version of Underwater effects

Unity 2019.2.11f1 and Aquas 2020 1.0.1

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  35. RadioactiveBullfrog

RadioactiveBullfrog

Hello again. I am getting several errors similar to the following. Can you help me understand what is going on?

Shader properties can't be added to this global property sheet. Trying to add _GrabTexture_ST (type 1 count 1)
    UnityEngine.Camera:Render()
    AQUAS.AQUAS_Reflection:OnWillRenderObject() (at Assets/AQUAS 2020/Scripts/AQUAS_Reflection.cs:102)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.ScriptableRuntimeReflectionSystemWrapper:Internal_ScriptableRuntimeReflectionSystemWrapper_TickRealtimeProbes(Boolean&)

36. dogmachris

dogmachris

The issue - while tedious - is harmless to my understanding, so you can still continue to use it. It comes from the Caustics shader and while I read, that only SRP projects are affected by this error, projects using the standard render pipeline seem to be too, at least when a projector shader is using a grab pass.

Long story short, I am aware of this error and will submit a fix right with the next update (still this month in any case), but until then it won't break your project.

37. dogmachris

dogmachris

Hi there,

I have submitted a fix for this two weeks ago, but it has only now been published - sorry for that.
    You can update your AQUAS 2020 package from the asset store, that should fix the issues in the build.

38. DropNodes

DropNodes

yes this is what I meant, I have 1.0.1 that I updated today and it has this error :) will delete everything and re-import.

EDIT: Yeap, pretty weird that unity didn't let me download the new update till I deleted the previous package, all seem to work now. Very nice @dogmachris keep up the good work!

39. dogmachris

dogmachris

Ok, I see. :)
    I'm sorry, but I wasn't able to reproduce your issue. I went ahead and build the lake scene from the Hi Performance folder in the demos. I added the caustics too, since you seemed to do that as well. My result - see below - was as expected.

Have you used the setup wizard to set everything up or did you set anything up manually?

EDIT: Happy to see everything is working on your end too. :)

40. RadioactiveBullfrog

RadioactiveBullfrog

The reason I am asking about it is because my water has stopped reflecting. It was fine and reflecting nicely, and then suddenly now it is not. And I am using the standard render pipeline.

41. Jbaker08

Jbaker08

Hey I was using normal Aquas. I'm looking to update to Aquas2020 but unfortunately I've just seen HDRP isn't supported.

Do you plan in updating the asset to work with HDRP?

42. MU-TH-UR

MU-TH-UR

So no VR support for any of the underwater stuff? Specifically Single pass. Just tried 2020 and it is broken for both.

43. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Why does aquas look so terrible? See image.

I have reflections set to terrain only but this seems to be from the skybox and clouds. The yellow really shouldnt be there at all and the grey cloud reflections (if that is what they are) are really low quality.,

Any ideas?

I also added the AquasEnviro Integration script to Enviro Manager and all seems well until I go underwater then when I emerge the fog is extreme all over the environment?

aq.PNG

44. Unityaware

Unityaware

The Aquas 2020 Wizard doesn't doesn't show up under the "Window" menu after isnstall, even after repeated delete-installs-restarts. Is there any other way to add it to the scene? Thanks.

45. MagiSoftworks

MagiSoftworks

Aquas 2020 looking real nice! What is the recommended process to remove already installed Gaia Pro Water (which is great) and replace with Aquas 2020 using Infinite/Multi-Terrain in new Gaia Pro?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  46. dogmachris

dogmachris

Yes I plan to, but in all honesty, it won't be too soon. Just being realistic here, there's a pile of work in the pipeline before the SRP support. Once that is all done, I will start with the port.

combatsheep and dsilverthorn like this.
  47. dogmachris

dogmachris

I became aware of some of the issues in VR after it went online and didn't notice anything when I tested. I am working to sort that out, but if can't do it quickly enough I will remove the VR compatibility from the asset description until I get it fixed. Sorry for the inconvenience. :confused:

dsilverthorn likes this.
  48. dogmachris

dogmachris

It should appear, if it doesn't there must be an error message in the console. Do you see one?

49. dogmachris

dogmachris

I think it's easiest to not add it in the first place and instead add AQUAS 2020. Although in the end it's merely more than a water plane I don't know if there's any stuff in the back that is being added when you add Gaia water, so if you already have Gaia water in the scene, best asks Adam's guys how to properly remove it.

50. dogmachris

dogmachris

Alright everybody, so apart from fixing some of AQUAS 2020's teething troubles, I'm adding some powerful features, some easier to implement than others. The list goes as follows:

• Projected Grid:
    This is trickier than I thought to port to the GPU, but I may be close to a solution here
    • Ripple Effects:
    This one is pretty much solved, I just have to apply it to the water and automate the setup process so that it's not a pain in the ... to do it.
    • Procedural wet lens effect
    This one is quite easy actually, not much left to do.
    • Rain on the water
    This one is also pretty easy, but I thought it would be cool to enable AQUAS to render drops falling on the water. It won't be able to render rain itself, but if yousing rain from whatever weather system or your own solution, you can simply tell AQUAS to simulate drops falling into the water. Will have to see if it works visually, because the effects on the water surface and the actual drops won't line but, but I'm carefully optimistic the eye won't actually realise it.