Search Unity

AQUAS Water/River Set - Water & Rivers for Mobile, VR, Web, Desktop

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dogmachris, Jan 8, 2016.

1. dogmachris

dogmachris

Hell no, that script has been causing me enough trouble. It's not included in AQUAS 2020 and I'll also remove it from AQUAS as soon as I get to it. :D

2. dogmachris

dogmachris

It's currently in review. It might take some couple of days, unfortunately I have no control over the review process.

3. dogmachris

dogmachris

If you're using Blender try the following:

• Make a copy of your model
    • Bring it over to blender
    • Use the decimate modifier on it as much as you can, just so that it still somewhat preserves its original form - looks don't matter. That'll reduce the vertex count drastically
    • Export the fbx and move it back to Unity.
    • Make your actual boat a child of your decimated boat (position and rotation at 0,0,0)
    • Now apply the buoyancy effector to the decimated mesh, but the depth mask to your original boat
    • Disable the mesh renderer on your decimated mesh (not the filter!)
    This way the buoyancy will be applied to the decimated mesh, which is invisible, but there won't be any calculations done on your dense boat mesh and while the actual boat is a child mesh of your decimated mesh is will follow along perfectly.

4. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Video been taken down?

5. dogmachris

dogmachris

No, just reuploaded it because of a little snafu with the zoom - it's back up, the link is in the post you quoted. :)

cygnusprojects and SickaGamer like this.
  6. RR7_

RR7_

looks like AQUAS 2020 is online now, but it doesn't show as a free upgrade to AQUAS, not sure how that's supposed to work.

camta005 likes this.
  7. SickaGamer

SickaGamer

It says 10 for me.

8. dogmachris

dogmachris

Hey everybody, I see it's no secret that AQUAS 2020 went live today :D
    I just got the confirmation email earlier, and I had to first set up the free upgrade.
    You should now be able to upgrade AQUAS to AQUAS 2020 for free

The duration of the grace period will be around 8-10 weeks, or maybe simply the rest of this year.

IMPORTANT:
    AQUAS 2020 works different from the old AQUAS.
    • If you want to replace AQUAS in an existing project, be sure to first make a backup
    • Remove the old AQUAS before importing AQUAS 2020
    • Get ready to set up all your water again
    Sorry, I couldn't make that any easier for you because - even if it looks similar, AQUAS and AQUAS 2020 are strictly speaking two entirely different assets.

FargleBargle, GMax, hoodoo and 6 others like this.
  9. SickaGamer

SickaGamer

Congrats on the new update! Thank you for all of your hard work and I look forward to using this new asset!

dogmachris likes this.
  10. RR7_

RR7_

sweet, it worked for me. looking forward to having a go with this, thanks for the release!

dogmachris likes this.
  11. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Thank you for the upgrade to 2020 :cool:

dogmachris likes this.
  12. ceebeee

ceebeee

13. dogmachris

dogmachris

hoodoo and Willbkool_FPCS like this.
  14. camta005

camta005

Thanks for all your hard work and sticking at it :)

15. hoodoo

hoodoo

@dogmachris Thank you so much for the 2020 update!

dogmachris likes this.
  16. dogmachris

dogmachris

Alright everybody, here's the next tutorial. This one is about:

• The Setup Wizard
    • Basic Water Setup
    • Making infinite water

Enjoy!

AXP1, sharkapps, GMax and 6 others like this.
  17. dogmachris

dogmachris

And here comes the next one. This tutorial is for underwater effects only:

FargleBargle, camta005 and sharkapps like this.
  18. SickaGamer

SickaGamer

@dogmachris any chance you can fix the aqualens issue with enviro?

19. dogmachris

dogmachris

What issue?

20. SickaGamer

SickaGamer

The integration script has exceptions

21. Willbkool_FPCS

Willbkool_FPCS

Same with Weathermaker and Landscape Builder. I had to revert back to regular Aquas to get my game to run.

22. dogmachris

dogmachris

@Willbkool_FPCS

The integration scripts are for the old AQUAS, if you have 2020, you can delete them.
    To enable support for weather systems and aura, simply add the AQUAS/Essentials/Depth Support component to the waterplane and drop the camera on the camera input field.

This is on my tutorials list.

Does that work?

The error that comes from the integration scripts are because stupid me has used the same scripting define for AQUAS and AQUAS 2020. I will submit a hotfix promptly.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    Willbkool_FPCS and camta005 like this.
  23. tredpro

tredpro

im getting these errors with aquas 2020:

Shader properties can't be added to this global property sheet. Trying to add _GrabTexture (type 3 count 1)

Shader properties can't be added to this global property sheet. Trying to add _GrabTexture_ST (type 1 count 1)

Shader properties can't be added to this global property sheet. Trying to add _GrabTexture_TexelSize (type 1 count 1)

Shader properties can't be added to this global property sheet. Trying to add _GrabTexture_HDR (type 1 count 1)

24. combatsheep

combatsheep

Hi.

I tried the Bouyancy Demo scene of AQUAS2020 for Oculus Quest and Android9(spec as Snapdragon660 SoC) with OpenGL3 and Valkan.
    But, Quest is freeze at the start of Unity logo(it's blinking), and Android9 is black out and freeze after Unity logo.
    When I check of the Under Water Effect(_simple) component at camera, those works fine.

Does AQUAS2020 not support the Under Water Effect for Android devices?

Thanks.

25. dogmachris

dogmachris

This seems to be one of those "magical" errors. I'm not sure anybody really knows where it comes from, In Unity 2017 and 18 ist seemed to occurr only with SRP, in Unity 2019 standard render pipeline seems to be affected also:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/err...e-added-to-this-global-property-sheet.510126/

Since the error comes and goes for some users for no obvious reasons (it doesn't pop up for me), I have honestly no idea what's causing it. :confused:

26. dogmachris

dogmachris

Weird. Does it work in the editor?
    You're saying, that when you disable the Underwater Effect Simple component on the camera everything works? The demo should by default be set up with the advanced underwater effects. Did you change that? If so, did you use the Setup wizard or did you switch the components manually?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  27. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

I want to use Aquas 2020 to replace all of the water assets in my project. It currently consists of several scenes, containing a mix of one or more Aquas water planes, representing lakes and pools, plus 3D displaced oceans. I have a single player and camera rig, that moves from scene to scene. Once in a scene, the player can enter any of the water environments that it contains, and may need different underwater effects for each. He may also go under a water plane without being in it - for instance a swimming pool on a ship: He can either be in the pool, be on a dry deck below the pool, or be swimming in the ocean below the ship and pool, and needs to do all of these things without the different effects interfering with each other. What is the best strategy for managing multiple water planes in a complex scenario such as this?

I previously put the Aquas effects for each scene on a gameobject, which I located and attached to my main camera when the scene loaded. I'd then use triggers to enable or disable each water plane, along with its associated caustics and lens effects as needed. As more water surfaces were added, managing all of them became a bit of a nightmare. It looks like you've changed how you handle water planes and effects management in 2020. If the new API provides simpler ways to turn water planes and their associated effects on or off, I'd appreciate more information about it.

Thanks btw. This update has been a long time coming, and I'm glad it's finally arrived. I can't wait to add some of the goodies I'm seeing in your videos to my own scenes. :)

dogmachris likes this.
  28. dogmachris

dogmachris

@FargleBargle
    The old AQUAS used math only to determine whether the camera was underwater or not, that was a bit fuzzy.

AQUAS 2020 adds a collider to the camera and the static boundaries of the waterplanes define the water volume. When your camera's collider gets triggered by the static boundary it will adopt that plane's underwater parameters and yes: when you're below that boundary, underwater effects won't render. I guess that makes it suitable for having a swimming pool just right above the lobby or whatever. :)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    FargleBargle likes this.
  29. combatsheep

combatsheep

Yes, It works fine on the editor.

Env: iMac 2019, Mojave, Unity2019.2.3.

Yes. That's right.

Yes, I switched the components manually.

But, default setting has been same trouble.

I also tried Setup wizard, it was same…

And I tried to build for iPhone8(iOS13), but it has been same trouble.

The below movie is iPhone8 actual footage.(Android is same behavior)
    The 1st is CHECKED UnderWaterEffect componet, 2nd(0:16~) is UNCHECKED UnderWarterEffect component.

Xcode11 console displayed a lot of same errors like below.

(Filename: currently not available on il2cpp Line: -1)

ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.

Parameter name: mat

at AQUAS.AQUAS_FrontFaceMask.OnRenderImage (UnityEngine.RenderTexture source, UnityEngine.RenderTexture destination) [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0

There is not material for mobile in AQUAS2020, so I thought that AQUAS2020 is not compatible mobile devices.

Can it fix?

30. dogmachris

dogmachris

It seems like a script cannot access a material in the build. So far only the builds seem to be affected. I'll look into it and submit a hotfix asap.

combatsheep likes this.
  31. dogmachris

dogmachris

Alright everybody, I have the next tutorial queued up and ready. This one will enhance the water quality by quite a bit:
    • How to generate terrain masks
    • How to use it to create additional shoreline effects

32. combatsheep

combatsheep

Thanks, dogmachris!
    I'm looking forward to the hotfix.

I have been using AQUAS for my apps since June 2017.
    I really love it.:)
    IMG_0163.jpg IMG_0164.jpg

dogmachris and camta005 like this.
  33. MagiSoftworks

MagiSoftworks

So COOL! Great job Chris. I knew you would bring some amazing features to the table. :)

34. RadioactiveBullfrog

RadioactiveBullfrog

You might want to consider mentioning at the top of the listing for 2020 that people need to remove the old version prior to installing 2020. I just lost half an hour because I didn't know that. Ultimately I put the old version back in because the new version just spits out tons of errors even when removing the old version first.

AXP1 and Willbkool_FPCS like this.
  35. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

I've just started playing with AQUAS 2020, and first off, the infinite ocean looks great:

Aquas2020_Ocean1.jpg

One question though - when I add the underwater effects, it adds the backface material to the water plane, but the water plane doesn't seem to be made for two materials. I get the following warning on the renderer:

Aquas2020_2sided-warning.JPG

The effects still seem to work, but the warning is troubling, and I'm concerned it might cause problems later. Is this something we can safely ignore, or does the water plane mesh need tweaking?

Just confirmed this as well. I added AQUAS to a new project, set up my first water plane and effects, and saved and closed the project. When I reopened it later, the errors above all occurred. After clearing them, everything appeared to work fine, but they come up every time I open the project now. The full text of the errors is here:

Code (csharp):
    1. Shader properties can't be added to this global property sheet. Trying to add _GrabTexture (type 3 count 1)
    2. UnityEngine.Camera:Render()
    3. AQUAS.AQUAS_Reflection:OnWillRenderObject() (at Assets/AQUAS 2020/Scripts/AQUAS_Reflection.cs:102)
    4. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    6. Shader properties can't be added to this global property sheet. Trying to add _GrabTexture_ST (type 1 count 1)
    7. UnityEngine.Camera:Render()
    8. AQUAS.AQUAS_Reflection:OnWillRenderObject() (at Assets/AQUAS 2020/Scripts/AQUAS_Reflection.cs:102)
    9. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    11. Shader properties can't be added to this global property sheet. Trying to add _GrabTexture_TexelSize (type 1 count 1)
    12. UnityEngine.Camera:Render()
    13. AQUAS.AQUAS_Reflection:OnWillRenderObject() (at Assets/AQUAS 2020/Scripts/AQUAS_Reflection.cs:102)
    14. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    16. Shader properties can't be added to this global property sheet. Trying to add _GrabTexture_HDR (type 1 count 1)
    17. UnityEngine.Camera:Render()
    18. AQUAS.AQUAS_Reflection:OnWillRenderObject() (at Assets/AQUAS 2020/Scripts/AQUAS_Reflection.cs:102)
    19. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    camta005 likes this.
  36. tredpro

tredpro

I'm using the standard shaders with unity 2018.4

37. dogmachris

dogmachris

I just submitted an update.

It turned out the way I'm accessing some shaders on runtime does not make sure, the shaders are also included in the build. I added some references to the resource folder to make sure all required shaders are included in the builds.

@Vondox I also changed the scripting define symbol for AQUAS 2020 to avoid conflicts with integration scripts for the old AQUAS. The new scripting define will be AQUAS_2020_PRESENT.

Apart from that I fixed a little light attenuation issue, that a light user brought to my attention.

With a bit of luck the update may be live tomorrow, otherwise it should be early next week.

combatsheep and Vondox like this.
  38. dogmachris

dogmachris

Those are the same errors @tredpro is getting.
    Please try disabling the caustics and see if that makes any change.
    The error is still a mystery to me, here's why. It means that the grab pass failed to get a color buffer, but that cannot be true, because if it was, the water wouldn't render transparent anymore, but obviously it does.
    This is an error that should actually only occurr in render pipelines that do not allow grab passes, but the standard render pipeline isn't one of them.
    I wasn't yet able to find the source of this error, but it doesn't seem to be a new one.

39. dogmachris

dogmachris

The two materials on a mesh is not going to cause you any trouble worth mentioning. The reason behind this warning is that using multiple materials on one mesh will result in that object causing multiple draw calls (one draw call per material). This is usually something to optimise, but in case of AQUAS you can neglect it, because it's only a single object - one draw call more or less will not considerably impact performance. It is way more important to not use multiple materials on objects with multiple instances in the scene, because when you have an RTS game for instance, having mutliple materials on gameobjects, can make the difference between 1000 and 5000 draw calls, which is more a reason to be optimising. Long story short - it's safe as it is.

40. dogmachris

dogmachris

I'm sorry for that - I just submitted a minor patch and edited the asset description stating that projects should be backed up and AQUAS removed from the project before importing AQUAS 2020 into existing projects.
    If you can tell me what those errors were, I might be able to help.

41. AXP1

AXP1

Hi @dogmachris, I too removed the old Aquas from my project after installing Aquas 2020. And I get the following errors in the console:

Assets\AQUAS 2020\Scripts\Underwater\AQUAS_UnderWaterEffect_Simple.cs(107,9): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'AQUAS_BubbleBehaviour' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    Assets\AQUAS 2020\Scripts\Underwater\AQUAS_UnderWaterEffect.cs(130,9): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'AQUAS_BubbleBehaviour' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

How can I fix this?
    Thanks for any help.

42. camta005

camta005

Importing Aquas 2020 again from the asset store should fix the issue (once the old Aquas is removed).

combatsheep likes this.
  43. RadioactiveBullfrog

RadioactiveBullfrog

The errors were the "magical" error that you referred to above, as well as an error about having too many shader keywords, and something with the Aquas lens. There may have been others, but that is what I remember.

44. dogmachris

dogmachris

Okay, does any of the errors refer to enviro's AQUAS integration? If so, please delete the AQUAS integration script from enviro. Make sure there is nothing left in your project from AQUAS (also check the Editor folder) and make sure, scenes that used AQUAS don't have missing references to it after you delete it - this can happen, when you delete an asset, without removing it from a scene.

AXP1 likes this.
  45. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

After saving the project with caustics disabled, I was able to re-open it several times without getting the errors. Re-enabling caustics gave no errors initially, but upon closing and re-opening the project, they returned. It appears the errors are definitely related to caustics. I'll leave it to you to figure out how. o_O

46. AXP1

AXP1

Thank you @dogmachris, removing the old Aquals scripts from the Editor folder and deleting the Enviro-Aquas-integration script made the errors disappear.

Many thanks for the infinite-ocean feature, this helps a lot for providing a more realistic view.

I have a problem with caustics: there are no caustics rendered (also not in play-mode). Is there somewhere a switch where I can turn on caustics? I have selected the "Single Caustics" option in the Water setup wizard and I have "Advanced" underwater setup.
    This is how an underwater area is rendered at the moment:
    aquas2020_no_caustics.PNG

I don´t know if this is related but I receive following warnings/errors in my console:

aquas2020_compiler_warning_missing_script.PNG
    (two "missing script"-warnings that are related to Aquas, and one "Invalid editor window" error that is probably not related).
    I´m using Unity 2019.1.4, Enviro, CTS 2019 and Vegetation Studio Pro.

Thanks for any advice!

47. RadioactiveBullfrog

RadioactiveBullfrog

Below is a capture of the results of using the 2020 version of your asset. I removed everything from the previous version and it does run without any errors, but as you can see it is not running properly. Somehow it has completely messed up the shader for the sky and the camera is playing ping-pong with the player characters head. Any advice would be appreciated, but at this point I will be permanently returning to the previous version until these issues can be resolved.

https://gyazo.com/255c693f91f590eb03d49d0eb2306027

Update – the problem with the shader is a result of the caustic projector projecting everywhere that it should not. The issue with the camera playing ping-pong is a result of the box collider that has been placed on the camera. Elevating the collider on the Y axis by 1 seems to resolve the ping-pong issues, and setting the proper projection layers for the projector seems to resolve the LSD trip that my character was sent on.

Definitely not an easier set up than the previous version and so far no noticeable improvement in functionality or visuals that would justify the upgrade. This is just my personal opinion, of course.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  48. dogmachris

dogmachris

Thank you for pinpointing that, I didn't realise, this may be coming from the caustics. Caustics are also less performant since I used an additional grabpass to make them look more natural. I may have to roll back to the more traditional approach with the next update - not quite as gorgeous, but for many people not noticable, more performant and without warnings or errors. I'll look into this.

FargleBargle and Willbkool_FPCS like this.
  49. dogmachris

dogmachris

You seem to still be having leftovers from the old AQUAS in your scene. Make sure to delete the "UnderwaterCameraEffects" object from the hierarchy and all its children. It's what is causing the missing scripts warning.
    As for the caustics. Check the material of the PrimaryCausticsProjector object and - for testing - increase the instensity to something really high like 20. Caustics should then light up like a christmas tree wherever they're rendered and look out for them. Keep in mind that they're only rendered down to a certain depth and not below this point. Also check that you're looking at the right part of the shore - as in reality, caustics don't appeary everywhere, only in areas where the angle between the light and the surface is steep, so you get to see the caustics best at shores where the sun is vis-a-vis. Can you find some caustics now, or are there still none? If there are none, what about the demo scenes? Do they render caustics?

50. dogmachris

dogmachris

I'm happy you managed to resolve the issues you had with the asset.

Some of the changes to AQUAS are to be seen immediately, others are only to be seen in code.
    Some of the improvements include full depth buffer support, that will allow any depth-buffer-based effect to render on the water (like screen space fog and volumetric lighting), which the old AQUAS was not capable of.

World-Space UV-mapping allows for infinite waters, where the old AQUAS required water tiles. Also AQUAS 2020 can render partial submersion, not only underwater and not underwater.

Theser are just some examples, but of course, if you don't need any of those features, I can understand, that AQUAS 2020 has no additional value to you. If that is the case, I am glad you got to upgrade for free at least.

combatsheep likes this.