Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

AQUAS Water/River Set - Water & Rivers for Mobile, VR, Web, Desktop

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dogmachris, Jan 8, 2016.

1. dogmachris

dogmachris

This is an issue with the AQUAS_Lens_Effects.cs script that only seems to occurr in Unity versions 2018.2 and above. The issue will disappear with the new release anyway, because of the way AQUAS is then supposed to handle underwater behaviour, but for now, I have a fixed script ready. Please PM me, I'll be happy to send it to you.

2. dogmachris

dogmachris

I would guess the impact comes from the reflections. Everything that has to be reflected effectively has to be rendered twice.

If you have a lot of trees and mesh plants on your terrain, you cannot put them on a separate layer. In this case you can duplicate the terrain, delete all plants from the duplicate and put it on a separate layer. You can now exclude that layer from being rendered by your main camera and at the same time set it to be the only layer reflected by the water. This way you can have the terrain reflected without all the plants, which should give you a performance boost.

Also have a look at the inspector. There you can reduce the resolution of the reflection texture. Usually small resolutions will already produce satisfactory results, since the reflections are usually distorted, so that the reduced resolution isn't noticable.

Also see the caustics projectors and exclude layers, you don't need caustics to be cast on.

Does that help?

3. dogmachris

dogmachris

Hey there,

I'm not sure if I get this right, could you maybe share a screenshot so I can better understand what's going on?

4. dogmachris

dogmachris

Hey there,

in short, I'm currently wrapping everything up now. During the development process I made various projects for various features, just so I can keep track of what's already done and what not, so I currently have about a dozen projects with different features for AQUAS in them. Right now I am writing the new setup wizard and with that I'll add each feature of AQUAS to the release package. I'll post a more detailed update tomorrow or so.

Good news though: The terrain mask generator will make it into the update after all, which will allow for nice shoreline waves.

Shodan0101 and SickaGamer like this.
  5. DavidBVal

DavidBVal

I can wait for next release, thanks!

Another question: no matter what I try, Enviro integration fog doesn't seem to apply to aquas object, which is always perfectly visible even in large distances. Is there something I can do on Aquas side to fix this?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  6. RadioactiveXP

RadioactiveXP

(Thanks for the quick reply!)

Map1 is the hierarchy, the actual terrain nodes come and go based on the location of the player; when doing the quick setup, I have to select one of them, but as the player moves, that terrain segment could be discarded; I am not sure if that is the root cause of my issue or not. Ideally I would like to be able to select the MapMagic node, which is where all of the terrain is kept (dynamically)

Map2 is a more-or-less overhead view that shows the map tiles that are pinned, that's fine, except the water is above it, as you can see in Map3. When looking at the video recorded by the MapMagic author on YouTube; (
    ) at around 31:30 into the video you can see him working with a version of Aquas Lite where the water is visible at the correct level within the scene. If you watch the video for 3 or 4 minutes or so, you can see that to tune the generation of the beaches, I need to have the water visible in the scene at the right level.

As it is now, regardless of the Y-position of the water plane, I don't see what I would expect (in the case of map2, the water should be covering the land).

Attached Files:

7. CrystalConflux

CrystalConflux

Awesome! I was planning to implement this myself – needed it in my game.

Very happy that it will make it into the update – will definitely save me some time!

8. Evgenius

Evgenius

Hi there! Are these deadlines still relevant or they were shifted?

9. newmak58

newmak58

How can I get AQUAS Water?

10. SickaGamer

SickaGamer

Buy it on the asset store?

11. SickaGamer

SickaGamer

@dogmachris what is the good word on Aquas?

12. Bavatt

Bavatt

Is that the only way to fix the minattribute error after importing?

13. DougieJones

DougieJones

@dogmachris, looking forward to this promising new update. It sounds very cool. I love the split rendering like in Dying Light. Cheers.

14. dogmachris

dogmachris

The Minattribute issue comes from Unity not supporting the old version of the post processing stack anymore. If you are using the package manager version of the post processing stack, you can safely delete the "Post Processing" folder from the Assets folder.

If you would like to use the old post processing version, it is required to change a line in one of the files in the PostProcessing folder: In the MinDrawer.cs script, change "MinAttribute" to "UnityEngine.PostProcessing.MinAttribute".

Does that solve the issue?

Bavatt likes this.
  15. dogmachris

dogmachris

So everybody, I don't know if this is the last update before I can submit the update, but I am currently writing the setup wizard for the new version, meaning, I'm wrapping everything up. I can already give a bit of onformation on how AQUAS is supposed to work with the new version:

First off, AQUAS is gonna have only one window, a setup wizard, from which it is possible to set up most of AQUAS, even multiple water objects.

A tab for the basic setup will provide the water planes and the caustic projectors. I have reqorked the caustic shaders, instead of rendering caustics in a specific color they will amplify the color of the objects receiving them using the light color, which makes for a much more realistic look.
    Until now, the quick setup window required a terrain in order to place and scale the water plane correctly. The setup wizard will work the same way, but it can also add water without specification of any terrain - in that case water will be places unscaled at the center of the scene and can then be placed and scaled manually at will.

The second tab will set up underwater effects. Instead of adding borders, that were tedious to work with, AQUAS will add an enveloping boundary, with a specified depth. It will scale with the plane and make sure, it always perfectly envelopes it. This can be done with multiple waterplanes, and the underwater effects work on each individual water, even at different water levels. as it did before, only there will be no pp stack neccessary.
    However, in order for this to work correctly, AQUAS now has to sample the background color differently, which will cause this effect to have a lower performance impact on the cpu side, but a higher one on the gpu side. I genuinely hope, this will not be an issue, but I'll have to await user feedback and see.
    The underwater effects will be set by water plane and not for the entire scene. This is because now every water needs underwater effects (e.g. shallow water, that you can walk in, but not dive into)

A third tab is for capturing river reference image of either a water plane or a terrain to export. This can be then used to plaint flow maps on. Since the terrain mask will make it into the update after all, a terrain mask generator will be featured under the same tab. AQUAS does not actually require it to work, but with it, it can accurately render shoreline effects. Exported masks, can then be placed on the materials's terrain mask property.

Apart from the setup wizard, AQUAS will feature a couple of components, that can be added to the waterplanes individually:

1. A component that locks the water plane to a camera horizontally. This is useful for infinite water. This component can also rescale the waterplane to fill out the camera's frustum, but this is optional.

2. A component, that makes the waterplane support depth-buffer based effects. This should be used sparingly, since it has a bit of an impact on performance. The reason is the way AQUAS samples the depth buffer, when using this component.

3. The realtime reflection component has the feature of blurring reflections. This is not useful when distorting the reflection image, but for calm waters this may be very useful to simulate light winds on otherwise still watern, such as puddles.

4. A component, that replaces the water plane by a screen space grid filling the camera frustum, to make it infinite. For quite a while I was not sure what would be the best way to do it - normally the best way to do it, wouldbe in the shader, however, this would mean that every shader needs 2 versions, one for the screen space grid and one for the usual water plane. I decided, that I will first try to go with the screen space grid done via cpu, because that would leave the shaders as they are. However, this will drastically reduce the amount of vertices for that grid, since cpu's would otherwise be too slow to calculate all of that in realtime. The screen space grid will be the only method to simulate small physical waves. Unlike the usual water planes, the screen space grid has no static boundary, instead it features a dynamic boundary, that always fills the part of the camera's far clipping plane that is underwater in order for the underwater effects to always render.

And here is the updated feature list:

• Infinite water using world space UV mapping
    • DX12 and Vulkan support
    • Crabwise depth buffer handling to allow the otherwise alpha-blended shaders to correctly write to the depth buffer
    • Full Comatibility with Unity 2018 and 2019.
    • Split rendering for when the camera is partly underwater and partly afloat
    • Custom underwater effects that do not require Unity's post processing stack
    • Single-Pass-Stereo support for reflections (Reflection Probe)
    • Projected grid LOD system for infinite water with gentle high detail displacement at close range (for now cpu only)
    • Terrain masking for underwater effects
    • Automatic mask detection/generation

• New backface materials that are transparent but can still write to the depth buffer, so that all depth-buffer-based effects may work underwater. (90%)
    • LWRP and HDRP support (60%)

• Vertex painter to paint masks and flowmaps within Unity
    • Custom mesh generation

The red stuff will not make it into the update for now.

As for the yellow bullets: The backface shaders are done for the most part, only the sampling of the background color needs to be taken care of now.

In order to be able to publish in April, I started putting everything together, and as far as I can see the LWRP and the HDRP shaders will require a bit of different setup, so I cannot guarantee, I can squeeze them into the update without much more delay. If I cannot, I will first publish only for the 3D template and add the setup for the SRP shaders afterwards, just so AQUAS can already be used until then.
    I know everybody has been waiting for the SRP shaders, but I think it is now more important to have the update out instead of adding more delay and better add the SRP stuff afterwards, if I cannot make it happen quickly.

16. SSL7

SSL7

Sounds awesome! please include out of the box instantiate player support if possible, I remember I had to right some custom script to work with the player not being in the scene before run time :)

Bartolomeus755 likes this.
  17. camta005

camta005

Makes sense and it allows the SRP to mature more before you start supporting it.

18. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

That sounds amazing, looking forward to the release. And I second @dlevel request. ;)

19. PWPeter

PWPeter

Hi, we got an issue over in the Gaia thread where a user reported that they would be getting errors when creating a build after the Gaia dependencies were installed. The errors where referring to Aquas code files:

The only explanation I have so far for this is that Gaia installed the Post processing stack which includes the "POST_PROCESSING_V2" define, which maybe activated the line above for the build. Could you please review this from your side? Original post in the Gaia thread: https://forum.unity.com/threads/gai...d-scene-creation.327342/page-200#post-4408015

20. dogmachris

dogmachris

I just read, it has already been moved to the Editor folder - why the error continues to occur is beyond me. However, this script is only required for the demo scene, in which there are cameras set up for both versions of the pp stack. If the user does not want to build the AQUAS demo scene as it is, he can safely delete the script from the project, it is not required for scene setups etc.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    PWPeter likes this.
  21. PWPeter

PWPeter

That makes sense, from the error message it looks like the script still sits under Assets\Aquas\Scripts. Thanks for the quick reply!

22. krahvaal

krahvaal

Hi Dogmachris and thanks for the quick reply.

As you mentioned deleting the script I redid everything on a new project today. I apologize for confusion over the script but the errors were throwing me off.

In the new project I added 3D terrain, 20 scale cube, FPSController, delete MainCamera, add AQUAS using Quick Setup and moved the script. This built and ran fine.
    NOTE: All underwater effects working properly.

I then imported Gaia and Dependencies.
    I added AQUAS_Underwater_v2 and DefaultPostProcessing_v2 to UnderwaterEffects.
    PostProcessLayer and PostProcessVolume to player camera.
    The PostProcessing directory is straight under Assets.

Build, start exe jump off cube into water...
    * No Hit Water sound
    * No Underwater Audio
    * No Underwater Fog

This is with Unity 2017.4.25f1 LTS on my development machine.
    I have Unity 2018 on my test rig but found exactly the same problems - I read your post on AQUAS_Lens_Effects.cs but I will be staying on Unity LTS

I spent a few more hours going over things but I'm lost.

The only Gaia-AQUAS tutorials I've found are Adam Goodrich's from September 2018 and yours from 2016. The versions of Gaia and AQUAS along CTS and Enviro that I purchased in September 2018 seemed to integrate and build fine.

It wouldn't surprise me if I'm overlooking something obvious and appreciate your help in this.

23. DavidBVal

DavidBVal

What can be causing speedtrees to "blink" in and out of the AQUAS reflection? they are perfectly visible in the terrain, and their reflection usually looks good as well, but sometimes when I rotate the camera around, they quickly blink in and out depending on the angle.

24. DavidBVal

DavidBVal

I think my blinking problem is not related to trees, it has to do with occlusion culling:

https://i.imgur.com/9Wb3Ipy.gifv

How can I avoid these issues when using OC and AQUAS?

25. Stefan86

Stefan86

@dogmachris
    Hey Chris..
    I have a problem with Aquas .. It trembles with me .. Please look at the video

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  26. dogmachris

dogmachris

I sent you a PM.

27. dogmachris

dogmachris

May I ask for the value of your camera's near clipping plane? Is it smaller than 0.3? Just in case, please increase it and see if that does any good.

28. dogmachris

dogmachris

Hey there,

I've only seen this happen when the water plane was really large - I mean gigantic - is that the case in your scene by any chance?

29. SickaGamer

SickaGamer

Is the update ready!?

30. Stefan86

Stefan86

Yes the water plane is very big .. 220.000
    But what can i do? I need a big water plane ..

31. camta005

camta005

The next update has Infinite water using world space UV mapping, so you will be able to make the water plane much smaller and you will always be in the centre of it.

dogmachris likes this.
  32. dogmachris

dogmachris

The thing is, that if the plane is very big and the vertices are extremely far away from each other, the floating point precision in the shader is not enough anymore to determine where a fragment is to be rendered, that's where this quivering comes from.

You can either make water tiles instead as shown in this tutorial:

This approach is not perfect when using distance based tiling.
    Another possibility would be to create your own water plane that has more vertices, this will give you a lot more room for scaling. A possibility would be to just import the water plane that comes with AQUAS into blender and subdivide it until you get as close to 65000 vertices as possible.

This is yet an issue, but will disappear with the update, that uses world space uvs. At that time, the water plane will only need to be twice as large as the camera's frustum (max), which in almost any case should be small enough for floating point precision.

Shodan0101 likes this.
  33. dogmachris

dogmachris

Rest assured, that when I have the update ready, I will not have it lie around and not upload it. :)
    I am in the final stages, but I'm sure you understand, that since most users will update shortly after the update goes live, everything MUST work in order to avoid floods of issues.

EDIT:
    By the way, I will not make any spacial showcasing before I upload the asset, just to save more time.

34. KeithBrown

KeithBrown

This is by no means a dig at you but it seems like i subscribe to most of the same threads that you do and I think over half of your posts are "Is the update ready!"

35. Shodan0101

Shodan0101

I dont see this as positive constructive feedback or a nod to all the hard work it takes to build an asset like this. I will rather wait another week for bugs to be smashed than sit with a broken asset. Looking forward to the update its gona be sick!

36. KeithBrown

KeithBrown

So... this was a reply to SickaGamer and not to the asset author. Its a great asset and one i use in all of my projects. The comment was not meant to be mean spirited at all but was in jest that SickaGamer is always waiting on updates which I thought was funny.

As a side note, did you not just do the same thing to me that I did to SickaGamer??;)

37. Shodan0101

Shodan0101

My apologies, I though it was directed at the author. No hard feelings! Haha valid reply to his post it was funny, I noticed it too.

38. krahvaal

krahvaal

Hi Chris, I realize you messaged me but I think we're on the opposite sides of the planet, you've certainly got your work cut out for you and I've got a fairly tight schedule.

Last I spoke to Gaia Support I got the impression they were able to repeat the problem and were going to work with you to fix it. PWPeter followed that up with the Gaia post. Otherwise, I was hoping somebody would have outlined all of the steps required for Gaia AQUAS integration here by now.

Anyway, here is what I'm doing with same problems on new projects for LTS and 2018...

* Install AQUAS, Gaia and Gaia Dependencies.
    * Add a terrain, platform above that then FPSController on top of that.
    * Do an AQUAS quick set up (height between terrain and platform).
    * Delete or move AQUAS_CameraSwitcher to Editor.

This puts PostProcessLayer and PostProcessVolume on the camera along with the
    AQUAS_LensEffects having the _v2 profiles - moving some of the directories (below) breaks this but I made sure to put them back.

2018 sorts out the directories but LTS prompts us to make sure Post Processing is under Assets and called PostProcessing or PostProcessing-2.
    This is ambiguous as it does say 'OR' but we have the following paths...

Assets/PostProcessing (from AQUAS import)
    Assets/Gaia Dependencies/PostProcessing-2/PostProcessing

Do we rename and move Assets/Gaia Dependencies/PostProcessing-2/PostProcessing-2 or move the existing PostProcessing-2?
    What do we do about the existing Assets/PostProcessing?

I did the following in separate projects such that one step did not break another...

1. Move Assets/Gaia Dependencies/PostProcessing-2 to Assets.
    2. Rename Assets/Gaia Dependencies/PostProcessing-2/PostProcessing-2 and move it to Assets.
    3. Repeat step 2 then move AQUAS's Assets/PostProcessing to Assets/AQUAS.
    4. Repeat step 2 but move AQUAS's Assets/PostProcessing to Assets/AQUAS first.

...they all work in Editor Play but break in the Build as per this video...

Runtime first half, Editor second.

This is everything I have done and repeatable in 10-15 minutes.
    If there are any other steps then could somebody please let me know.
    If not then what gives?
    If it is the product then there's nothing more I can offer at this stage. I just need to know whether it 'can' be fixed and a ball park on when.

I apologize for such a lengthy post but again, different time zones and all that.

Thanks in advance,
    Greg

39. PicturesInDark

PicturesInDark

Sorry, but this asset has ruined my project .... Unity 2018.3 The performance goes to depth

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    at AQUAS_LensEffects.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

everytime in compiled form. In the editor, it don't happens.

In editor, the fog of underwater works, but in compiled form not ....

I have postprocessing stack 1 and 2 , the tags are both in player settings.

What happens with this asset? It is a completelly mess ...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  40. ibyte

ibyte

Hi Chris, I used adb install to send your Android demo to my Oculus Go but I can't seem to find where it put your app. Is it compatible? it does not show up under Unknown sources.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  41. camta005

camta005

@krahvaal and @PicturesInDark it has been announced that the next update has custom underwater effects that do not require Unity's post processing stack, so these issues will be solved soon.

The problem is in AQUAS_Camera_Switcher.cs when using Post Processing Stack v2:

Code (CSharp):
    1. #if AQUAS_PRESENT && UNITY_POST_PROCESSING_STACK_V2
    2.         camerappv2.SetActive(true);
    3.         camerappv1.SetActive(false);
    5.        camerappv2.GetComponentInChildren<AQUAS_LensEffects>().underWaterParameters.underwaterProfile = (PostProcessProfile)AssetDatabase.LoadAssetAtPath("Assets/AQUAS/Post Processing/AQUAS_Underwater_v2.asset", typeof(PostProcessProfile));
    6.        camerappv2.GetComponentInChildren<AQUAS_LensEffects>().underWaterParameters.defaultProfile = (PostProcessProfile)AssetDatabase.LoadAssetAtPath("Assets/AQUAS/Post Processing/DemoPostProcessing_v2.asset", typeof(PostProcessProfile));
    7. #endif
    This will throw an error when trying to build, but will work in the editor. Moving it to the editor folder allows it to build but removes the effect from the build. This might be able to be fixed by using Resources.Load instead of LoadAssetAtPath and using the resources folder for the post processing profile asset files:

https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Resources.Load.html

But it's probably not worth it this close to an official fix in the next update.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  42. PicturesInDark

PicturesInDark

Ok, thank you very much. Anyway, I am tired of Unity and its problems. I am seriously consider abandon my project and pass to Unreal or Cryengine. I am very tired ....

I finnished and published a videogame in Unity last October and I was considering creating a new one, better, more ambitious ... but the engine dies in performance and errors, it cannot move a very good looking videogame. Unity It is not professional.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  43. ibyte

ibyte

@dogmachris I am able to add the simple mobile water to the Oculus Go scene. When I try to add underwater effects seems fine in the editor but the app just keeps restarting the Unity logo over and over again on a build. Unity 2019.1.0f2 fyi

44. ibyte

ibyte

Does anyone have single pass Strereo Rendering for VR working with the OGo? I get shader compiler errors and there was a work around last year but it does not seem to work anymore for me on 2019.1.0f2

45. krahvaal

krahvaal

@camta005 thanks for the update and great news. While I had a bit of down time from development I learnt quite a bit on 'how' to find my way around 3rd party assets - especially with help from @dogmachris on Discord.

dogmachris and camta005 like this.
  46. Bavatt

Bavatt

Yes that was very helpful to know. Thank you :)

dogmachris likes this.
  47. ivabibliocad

ivabibliocad

Hi Chris, 2 years ago I was developing a huge project for VR and had several issues, the underwater fog effect didn't work, the underwater sounds didn't work either. I remember you help me fix the issue and I had a .txt with all the steps and also remember posting something about it here. Now I can't find the dam .txt or the post or notes I also had on a physical notebook. Do you remember how to solve those issues for VR?
    Sorry to ask again.. I really can't find the information... Thanks a lot for always helping..

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  48. ivabibliocad

ivabibliocad

I now remeber something.... you told me something about the AQUAS_AddDefine.cs I believe.. but I don't remember what it was. I read above you have a quick fix script for this issue...

49. dogmachris

dogmachris

The issue with the AQUAS_Define.cs was fixed in v1.5.4. It caused issues when multiple versions of the post processing stack were imported. Are you using that version?

50. dogmachris

dogmachris

Uuuuh, if it's been so long ago, I may not be having the information either. Did we have a live chat on this?