Search Unity

1. Calling all beginners! Join the FPS Beginners Mods Challenge until December 13.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. It's Cyber Week at the Asset Store!
    Dismiss Notice

AQUAS Water/River Set - Water & Rivers for Mobile, VR, Web, Desktop

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dogmachris, Jan 8, 2016.

1. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

Yep, that's what is happening. Definitely a bug, but luckily a simple one.

Now if I can figure out why using caustics causes bad flickering on the surface of my water plane...

2. MrTerry

MrTerry

Hi DogMachris

I am using Unity 2017.3.1p4

And i have the same errors as some of the others after inporting Aquas, however I am not using the new PostProcessing just the original from the Asset Store. But I am using CineMachine ( version 2.1.10 )

Assets/AQUAS/Scripts/AQUAS_LensEffects.cs(93,22): error CS0102: The type `AQUAS_LensEffects' already contains a definition for `postProcessing'

Assets/AQUAS/Scripts/AQUAS_Parameters.cs(32,35): error CS0102: The type `AQUAS_Parameters.UnderWaterParameters' already contains a definition for `underwaterProfile'

Assets/AQUAS/Scripts/AQUAS_Parameters.cs(33,35): error CS0102: The type `AQUAS_Parameters.UnderWaterParameters' already contains a definition for `defaultProfile'

If you can advise a fix as we cannot run our application due to the errors, or if anyone else has fixed these please let us know
    Regards
    Terry

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    pslsteve likes this.
  3. naohisa

naohisa

Hi,

I'm using AQUAS, and want to build to my Android device.
    But, Unity can't complete building, although I wait long time.

On Building Player dialog, "Packaging assets -sharedassets0.assets" message was shown.
    When I confirmed Editor.log, this text was showed at the end of the line.

======================
    Compressed shader 'Hidden/TerrainEngine/Splatmap/Standard-AddPass' on gles from 0.00MB to 0.00MB
    Compressed shader 'Hidden/TerrainEngine/Splatmap/Standard-AddPass' on gles3 from 1.38MB to 0.10MB
    Compressed shader 'Hidden/TerrainEngine/Splatmap/Standard-AddPass' on vulkan from 1.06MB to 0.25MB
    Compiled shader 'Hidden/TerrainEngine/Splatmap/Standard-Base' in 10.26s
    gles (total internal programs: 0, unique: 0)
    gles3 (total internal programs: 210, unique: 99)
    vulkan (total internal programs: 210, unique: 99)
    =======================

Do you know how should I do?

Regards,
    Naohisa

4. mmaclaurin

mmaclaurin

Hi, I posted a lot of details on this so search my posts for way more detail than you want.

In short, you should remove the post processing directive for V2 from your player build settings, then disable AquasDefs.cs so it doesn't re-add the V2 directive. Search my earlier posts for exact syntax.

5. mmaclaurin

mmaclaurin

HI @dogmachris I'm "dead in the water" waiting for global UV support (using multiple tiles for water with reflections adds a lot of code complexity that would be throwaway)

My inifinite world needs its infinite ocean!

Any estimate on arrival time, please?

- Matt

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  6. jejouelejeu

jejouelejeu

Hi @dogmachris I've searched the thread to make sure my issue wasn't a repeat, and I am unsure if it is or not (haven't seen a reply to the same problem another user was experiencing). It seems water surfaces made from Aquas material do not display properly unless they are viewed from specific angles. How can I make it so the surface is properly displayed at all angles?

Of course, I've got a lot going on with the camera in my game (It's a UFPS advanced player prefab with Unity post-process profile on top of it) so maybe wires cross somewhere and it interferes with the proper rendering of Aquas material. You can see the issue in this short video (yeah, the water is on the ceiling. But it happens elsewhere as well with water on the ground. And yeah, the colors are overblown, so you can see what's happening, but it happens with more toned down colors and transparency).

Any help / tips is appreciated, and don't hesitate to ask for more specific config or anything I could add from my end.

7. Devistute

Devistute

Hi, Aquas now will crash the whole editor with over 300+ errors without actual reason.
    It will throw out these errors when you enter Play Test mode.. And when you exit or pause the play test, the editor will instantly crash to desktop.

When clicking the one that mentions "Object is already loaded" it reveals that this has something to do with "AQUAS_Reflection" script.

I'm using Unity 2018.2.0f2.

8. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

I had the same thing happen to me in 2018.20f2 and it happens with multiple assets, not just Aquas.

I had to roll back to a prior version because 2018.2 is just too full of bugs. Crashing the editor, crashing in builds... It is just worth the hassle.

9. Devistute

Devistute

Yeah. I figured out this too after nuking Aquas from project and now the error was pointing to playMaker.
    Hopefully Unity fixes this soon, until then going with older version.

10. pdq72

pdq72

Does anyone know if the edge distortion around the potion of an object above water has been corrected yet? I am using Unity 5.6.5 and AQUAS v1.4.1 and it is still apparent in my scenes.

Here is an image from a post a while back:

11. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

I have never been able to solve this. Nothing seems to fix it that I've tried. I'd also love to know if someone has found a fix for this.

12. ceebeee

ceebeee

I'm not clear what you mean. If you mean the lamp post being curved, that is really strange, I don't see that. But if you mean the broken up reflection of the lamp, that's normal. It's the lamp reflecting on the surface of the water. I see the same in a quick mockup I did to try to replicate the issue.

If you mean something else, please explain.

13. Xander_VJ

Xander_VJ

Yeah, I'm having the exact same problem in 2018.2.0f2. It prevents me from entering Play mode in ANY scene, even complete new and empty ones.

14. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

So many assets are broken in 2018.2.0f2 that it isn't worth using yet. This seems to be the same pattern that happened with 2017.x and 2018.1.x. I'm having decent success in 2018.1, so until they fix the bugs in the newly released version, I would suggest going with an older version.

15. pdq72

pdq72

What is circled below. The box is completely above water. I have tested this on Unity's standard water shader and this anomaly does not appear to be a problem. This is taken using Unity 2017.4 and AQUAS 1.5.3. I know this can be minimized by reducing the reflection factor, but that of course than defeats the purpose.

test1.jpg

16. Deftron

Deftron

Using Unity version 2018.1.6f1 I have 2 issues I cannot seem to resolve:

1) In a new scene, using post processing v1 (and only V1 in define symbols), the caustics will blink / strobe when you enable temporal anti aliasing. I've tried changing every variable I can think of to no avail.

2) Foam "glows" at night. It's visibility does not appear to be impacted by lights or the lack thereof. This happened to someone else but they were told to PM so the solution was not posted.

17. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

I had the same problem with that and finally turned the caustics off. It isn't the greatest without them, but the strobing/flickering is not worth the hassle.

18. ceebeee

ceebeee

Hmm, ok. I actually don't see any problem in this photo. it's in the editor view, so the orange is of course the selection outline. I see the white reflection of the cube, the dark reflection of the cube shadow, and the bright reflection of the sun. All looks right. If there's something else I just can't see it, sorry.

Edit: after trying again, I see at some angles this aqua colored thing, maybe this is it? It does seem to be unnatural:

Let me see if I can figure that out. (and yeah I'm using 2017.4.6f1, and Aquas 1.5.3)

Edit Edit: Ok I see, there's actually a couple things happening here. The Reflection is the white, which is an inverted image of what is over the water, all good. the Distortion value is how much it gets distorted.

However, the Top 3 sections for wave textures with refraction I am guessing they use snapshot of the camera view, and then apply the refraction to that image, and superimpose it onto the view. Good part, it's a fast way to do water refraction. Bad part, this camera view includes the objects in the scene which are over the water. So they get refracted too, and that's what the aqua part is, the image of the cube being distorted and colored by the main water color.

So yeah there's not a lot you can do about it, you can lower the refraction values so they don't 'wobble' out from under the actual object so much, try making the main color darker so it's not so apparent, but neither option is that great or going to solve it completely.

It's pretty subtle as it is and I doubt most would even notice. I know it took me a *lot* of staring to finally see it.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  19. drcfrx

drcfrx

Hello there,
    I bought Aquas and i'm quite happy with (thanks for doing this asset). However I encountered a problem. In a Unity 2018.1.1 project I had Aquas wich worked fine, then I added WeatherMaker and Aquas Foam and Caustics aren't working anymore. I reinstalled Aquas but it didn't fix the issue. I asked WeatherMaker author but he as no clue about it apparently. Any idea where to look to get the foam and caustics back please?

Thanks in advance =)

20. Devistute

Devistute

Just dropping in to say, that AQUAS doesn't work with Vulkan Rendering Path.
    The water turns pitch black. DX12 is the Max API it works with.

21. pdq72

pdq72

Thanks ceebeee for taking the time on this one. It is curious as to why the scene above the water level is not clipped from camera view during the refraction rendering, that should solve the problem. Oh well, maybe it will be fixed in a later release.

22. ceebeee

ceebeee

Well in a case like we were using, that would require clipping out a hole in the center of the water surface. I don't think the system could A) figure out what part is the water and what part is the cube, and B) it would have to have a render of the water's surface without the cube there.

That would require knowing which items to not render, and doing another render with those objects disabled. So this would add a lot of overhead, not to mention being unwieldly.

23. datbq

datbq

I have a terrain that's not a built-in Unity terrain. How can I use AQUAS with it? Does AQUAS only work with build-in Unity terrain ?

24. mmaclaurin

mmaclaurin

It'll work fine. There's some "quick start" UI that will adapt to a terrain (I think it just resizes) but you don't need to use that, just drag the prefab in and you're good.

25. Danirey

Danirey

Hi there,

Can we have ocean waves with this asset?

Thanks!

26. lodendsg

lodendsg

A lot of the issues posted here are caused by the same issues we ran into and caused us to stop using Aquas.

The crux of the issue is the way Aquas handles scripting defines and the fact that it attempts to automatically manage them in a loop.

If you look at the componenets of Aquas you will see its got a lot of conditional compilation that it does and several of thouse cases have combinations that will cause it to break.
    If you look at the Add Define script I think it is you will see its possible for it to add both v1 and v2 as being installed and yet the use of the conditionals will break if that where true.

We did clean this up once its not hard but its a pain in the back side.

1) A tool should never auto manage defines on a loop and without giving some sort of control to the developer. in our case we just nuked the whole add defines script as it makes a real mess of the defines under some conditions and fights with some other assets.
    2) the componenets try to be '1 file to rule them all' and some of the if defs can result in condtions that just wont work, that will cause perpetual re-compiles and that can cause crashes especially if you dont notice and try to hit play. To clean this up we simply ripped out all the conditonals. This ties into the auto managment of defines.

Note for the asset developer.
    Try not to use conditionals, if you absolutly have to try to keep them limited and isolated and most importantly insure that every possible combination is a valid combination.
    Avoid looping automated management of defines, give your users a config where they can indicate what they want enabled or not and that only applies its self when they indicate that they want it to apply.
    Dont try to support 3 major versions of Unity in a single file, is it possible yes, should you do it probably not. The asset store as I recall does have a means to offer different versions to users depending on the version of the engine they are using ... been a bit since I wrote a version dependent asset ... but this would remove the need for the if unity vX defines.

For the variants around post processing simply dont include dependent elements in the main package if thats an option for you (which in Aquas case it seems to be) insted the main package would have the compiles everywhere version (no post processing) and would include assetpackages for specific verisons that may support more features such as Post Processing v1 or v2, etc. This would eliminate the issues with defines as you wouldn't need them at all any more.

mmaclaurin likes this.
  27. mmaclaurin

mmaclaurin

Agree on this - @dogmachris I gave you detailed reproduction methods on the various failure paths but did not seem that you read it / responded to the specific issues. Still an Aquas fan but the defines management needs a rethink to return it to reasonable quality. Lots of complaints continuing to come in and you can assume that for every person who bothered to write up their issue there were 10 more who just gave up. #saveaquas

28. ceebeee

ceebeee

I'm sure there's a lot of people like me, who simply read how to fix it and fixed it. As many have said, it's not hard to do.

29. mmaclaurin

mmaclaurin

Yeah, actually it's almost impossible to get it working with post v2 + 2018. Deleting the folder that forces the v1 define also breaks underwater mode. Fun.

Just because you don't mind having to repeatedly fix an asset you paid for, others might. It really depends how serious you are about the other parts of your project and how complex it is. I'm finding aquas is increasingly where my wasted time is going and am actively developing a replacement shader despite my reluctance to spend my time there. Choosing aquas has cost me almost 2 months of progress between diagnosing it, fixing it, and now having to test replacements. (I only get to work on my game on weekends.)

The real issue is that aquas is teetering on the brink of "unsupported asset" - I'm hoping that EU July holidays are why we've had no substantive improvement in demonstrably broken code in over a month.

It's because I like and care about aquas that I speak out. I'm sure dozens of folks are reading this thread - or hitting the problems themselves - and moving on to another shader. This creates a cycle where there's no money coming in, no reason to improve it, and eventually it's just one of many dead broken assets in the store.

If you don't care about aquas' (or unity's) future, that is your choice. I do and I'm trying to provide information on a) the severity of the problem b) the exact location of the problem and c) a sense of how disruptive it is to keep having to bandaid this asset.

You arguing that "it's an easy bug to fix" is kind of beside the point. Forcing customers to fix known bugs is bad for business and bad for the community - it breaks trust. It's nice that you protect Chris' feelings, but encouraging him to ignore serious and easily reproducible bugs seems counterproductive imho. Aquas used to be considered well-supported. Now it's barely supported, verging on un-. Most serious creators will pay close attention to this aspect of any asset.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  30. mmaclaurin

mmaclaurin

I'm seeing the same thing in a different water shader and in that case it is caused by refraction algo, which doesn't know about what was under the water vs. over at the time of rendering the water - it just refracts whatever's in the frame buffer before the water paints.

You SHOULD be able to fix it by rendering above-water objects after the water has rendered. You'll have to keep them in the reflection map, though. I don't have time to chase that down now but interested to hear what you find.

31. ceebeee

ceebeee

Well I had to speak up because you tried to lump me into some 'silent majority' who agreed with you. And I don't. :) Also I don't have to fix it 'repeatedly'. I only had to fix it once.

Also TL;DR. I enjoy the asset, it works fine, and I look forward to 2.0

mmaclaurin likes this.
  32. Bavatt

Bavatt

I looked through a couple pages and didn't see people with these errors. Does anyone know how I Errors.png can fix these. They just show up when I import the project into 2018.1

33. ceebeee

ceebeee

you're missing Postprocessing Stack v2. Open the packages manager and install it. If you were using an older version of Postprocessing stack, you should remove it first.

34. Hypertectonic

Hypertectonic

@dogmachris Are reflections working in VR single pass?

35. NAiLz

NAiLz

@dogmachris Still loving Aquas. I've been able to fine-tune it to do almost everything I need it to do in my game with one exception: shoreline waves. I wondered if there are any plans to add this feature or if I should start working on a custom solution to add to Aquas. Thanks so much!

36. yanosch

yanosch

Hey all, big fan of aquas and it's versatility but still trying to get a grasp on all the functionality. I have a couple of questions I'd like to ask

1. I'm working with VR, is there a special workflow I should follow? As the manual doesn't seem to touch upon that.
    2. I'm working with an oil rig on midsea, given the high vantage points of this object I need to make aquas incredibly huge, are there any things I should consider with this?
    3. To make the rendering just a little bit easier, I'd like to incorporate fog at the end of the camera clip region, I also own envirosky, what would be the best option for this?
    4. I'm experiencing horrible aliasing with AQUAS, more than anything I've ever seen in Unity, does anyone experience the same? What could I do to remedy that?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  37. yanosch

yanosch

Shoreline waves are coming in Aquas 2, a free upgrade during a grace period of time for users of the old Aquas when its released, release date of Aquas 2 is not known yet

38. yanosch

yanosch

@dogmachris, in addtion to my above post, in my project (2018.2.1f1) the quick setup won't work.
    Hi!
    I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I ran into a couple more issues:

1. With terrain, camera and height set, hitting the add water button simply doesn't do anything sadly.

2. Adding enviro support to my water with the changes in the shader and adding the script makes my water milky white/greyish (see image) Screen Shot 2018-08-01 at 16.40.33.png

3. Without Enviro Support, with the regular shader water seems to have sort of metallic quality I didn't have the other times I used aquas, my reflection probe is only set at .2 (see image) Screen Shot 2018-08-01 at 14.29.53.png

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  39. VP_no1

VP_no1

Hi.
    I saw your tutorial on creating tiles yet is not enough for what I want to accomplish.
    I would like to have tiles and underwater effect spawned with Vegetation Studio or Gena as instantiated. Is it possible ? (Setting up a cube under the plane object would it work ? What material to use on it if yes because the one from example makes all the external sides of the cube opaque and I need them transparent )

Also for mobile where do I have to work to optimize the tiles / maybe poly like version ?

LE: I noticed that ticking in any shader of your materials the underwater effect box it solves the transition from a cube to another cube underwater, yet I loose all the effects and I dont want that. I do not see where to set any albedo transparency so I do not know what to do more. Please advise what to change here: http://myprintscreen.com/s/vfs8/25ba2a5d5f

Here is the transition I told you about above: https://media.giphy.com/media/2vngC7M5tc0iSBDy9C/giphy.gif

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  40. tredpro

tredpro

did you have any response to this?

41. yotingo

yotingo

Hi,

I'm trying to add water to my spherical mesh terrain. Does Aquas support this use-case?

Here is an example of the stretching that happens with most solutions:
    Water Stretching.jpg

42. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

The shader will work, although some of the underwater effects might not, since they usually try to detect when the camera is under a water plane, which won't exist in this case. The problem you see with stretching is due to how UV mapping has been applied to the sphere. If simple planar projection is used, the texture stretches over the more vertical parts of the sphere. If you use spherical projection instead, the texture should work better. Here's an example using Aquas on a spherical mapped sphere. I needed to add an opaque inner sphere to prevent ugly transparency artifacts, but it still illustrates how Aquas might look on your sphere.

AQUASphere1.jpg

43. yotingo

yotingo

Thanks for the test! -your level & pegasus look pretty cool :)

Would there be any way to have the underwater effects look for a spherical trigger instead of a planar trigger?
    Also, do caustics still work with the sphere?

44. mattis89

mattis89

I got a few errors like this went importing into latest unity..

Assets/AQUAS/Scripts/AQUAS_LensEffects.cs(93,22): error CS0102: The type `AQUAS_LensEffects' already contains a definition for `postProcessi

ssets/AQUAS/Scripts/AQUAS_Parameters.cs(32,35): error CS0102: The type `AQUAS_Parameters.UnderWaterParameters' already contains a definition for `underwaterProfile'

Assets/AQUAS/Scripts/AQUAS_Parameters.cs(33,35): error CS0102: The type `AQUAS_Parameters.UnderWaterParameters' already contains a definition for `defaultProfile'

45. mmaclaurin

mmaclaurin

x
    Search the thread. This one has been covered many many times.

46. Dunsec

Dunsec

Is anyone having an issue with infinite compile loop when importing Aquas into 2018.1.9?

47. boysenberry

boysenberry

I don't believe I did. I started using a different solution since then.

48. mattis89

mattis89

cant find anything...

49. mattis89

mattis89

Thanks! fixed

mmaclaurin likes this.
  50. mattis89

mattis89

Latest Unity, Latest Enviro & Aquas and Lightinthebox 2 . when I hit play it starts and the fps drops down to 1.. without aquas its 200...anyone else?