Search Unity

1. Calling all beginners! Join the FPS Beginners Mods Challenge until December 13.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. It's Cyber Week at the Asset Store!
    Dismiss Notice

AQUAS Water/River Set - Water & Rivers for Mobile, VR, Web, Desktop

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dogmachris, Jan 8, 2016.

1. eaque

eaque

Aquas was not the main Asset i was thinking of...:p Now that all the standard assets files are gone it's way better!!
    I did backdown because of that months ago.;)

@ceebeee

Dealing with "the magic button concept" i read over and over in threads...;) I understand that some people expect to have the job done...Ok....There are some....But please i heard that for Terrain Composer too!!:p It used to sell a lot (there was nothing else:)..) Then Gaia came and his ease of use made a success out of it! Or the great Map magic!

The same way people make difference betwenn a PC or a MAC because of the interface....Come on it's old like business. Wether you adress you asset to the elite or not. This is that simple.We can here make a list of assets that don't sell what they deserve because of their complexity.

There is a difference between working with settings and trying" to backengineer some alien technology" (that's my favorite joke!!:p and i'm not thinking of Aquas:) )

Regarding Aquas, i am not a programmer i have no skills and i admit it. If you allow a simple opinion :

Maybe more prefabs already covering different profiles of the asset or game styles could close the debate.I don't remember how many are already inside?
    authors know their babies by heart and they can deliver great prefs in minutes while we would spend weeks.

Even though i don't use it in my project i'm happy to have it and expect the best with next updates!;):)

2. TheDust_Unity

TheDust_Unity

Hello there,

(Unity 2017.3.0f3) @dogmachris I do also encountered the strange square artifacts around the Point lights close to water surface (see the attached screens from the Lake asset demo scene ). The artifacts persists on every scene, with the depth effect disabled, for desktop materials. Hope the new fix 1.5.3 will work :)

Thanks!

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      63.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      36.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      15.2 KB
      Views:
  3. ceebeee

ceebeee

That's your interpretation. But anyone who is an experienced Unity developer knows Unity Terrain is pretty much impossible to work with natively. It's Unity problem. You expect Aquas to solve it? It's not their job frankly. You should complain to Unity about the fact you can't set a layer on Terrain trees.

Then use Gaia, problem solved. Why are you complaining here again?

4. darshie1976

darshie1976

I think you have big issues in understanding what others tell you; which is why it is a waste of time to reply you for prolonged time.
    Please go back tinkering with your toys; you clearly have no clue of what you are talking about, and are wasting my time in having to interact with you.

5. dogmachris

dogmachris

mmaclaurin and ceebeee like this.
  6. THHamiltonSmith

THHamiltonSmith

@dogmachris Hey! I have been using aquas for a while and recently have been sturgglingto get Aquas working with underwater fog and stuff. Ive got underwater fog working with forward lighting on but theres a problem in scene view. The AQUAS water is jsut a dark blue and you cannot see the sand underneath near the coast like you used to before. And thaughts?

7. Devistute

Devistute

I'm having problem with Aquas in one of my scenes. When i drag the prefab to the scene, it simply doesn't show up at all.
    Cant see it on scene view, but in game view i have this very faint yellow transparent mess that is supposedly the water.

And this happens only in this certain scene, in others it works just fine.. Any ideas what could be causing this?
    I tried to play with Camera settings, nuked all image effects and even cleared occlusion culling but nothing seems to help.

8. DoITGroup

DoITGroup

Hello, I got a problem with river flowmap. I used this video to make it:

I draw a flowmap in FlowMap-painer and then imported to Unity but I got glitches, on every import settings.
    This is how it looks like: https://imgur.com/a/B6IHiap
    Can you provide me a right solution to this problem?

9. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Mine is the reflection script issue, but I am using unity 2018. I never had any problem with 2017.3.3??? I wouldnt know on unity 2017.4 though?

10. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Thank you for your hard work, support and assistance Christian. Much appreciated, but then again "I Am Patient and Understanding"? All the best matey.

11. JBT27

JBT27

In 1.5.3 in Unity 2018.1.0f2, these errors are being generated:

Assets/AQUAS/Scripts/AQUAS_LensEffects.cs(93,22): error CS0102: The type `AQUAS_LensEffects' already contains a definition for `postProcessing'

Assets/AQUAS/Scripts/AQUAS_Parameters.cs(32,35): error CS0102: The type `AQUAS_Parameters.UnderWaterParameters' already contains a definition for `underwaterProfile'

Assets/AQUAS/Scripts/AQUAS_Parameters.cs(33,35): error CS0102: The type `AQUAS_Parameters.UnderWaterParameters' already contains a definition for `defaultProfile'

Can these be easily fixed, or shall I backtrack to the previous version?

mmaclaurin and limpin_jezus like this.
  12. rwherber

rwherber

Hello,

I just purchased this asset today and the demo scenes work well. I used Gaia to integrate the water and water effects into my scene. Everything is working fine except the underwater fog effects. They do not seem to work in my scenes but they do work in the demo scene. Fog is turned on in lighting and the water effects settings in my scenes are the same as in the demo scene. See attached screenshots for issue.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

• 1.PNG
      1.PNG
      File size:
      3.5 MB
      Views:
    • 2.PNG
      2.PNG
      File size:
      53 KB
      Views:
    • 3.PNG
      3.PNG
      File size:
      58.5 KB
      Views:
  13. TheDust_Unity

TheDust_Unity

dogmachris in the 1.5.3 version, the Square artefacts although less visible, still persist with Unity Fog enabled on the demo scene with the point light near water surface. Everything seems ok with fog disabled..

Attached Files:

• a.JPG
      a.JPG
      File size:
      37.7 KB
      Views:
    • b.JPG
      b.JPG
      File size:
      42.7 KB
      Views:
  14. rwherber

rwherber

Fixed the issue. Fog was set to linear instead of exponential squared in lighting.

dogmachris and hopeful like this.
  15. mmaclaurin

mmaclaurin

I'm getting most of these errors after upgrading to latest Aquas. Possible complications: I'm using Enviro integration + I also just moved to 2018.

Happy to wait a bit if I get world-space UVs :D

JBT27 likes this.
  16. JBT27

JBT27

Agreed. I actually did delete the latest version, and replace it with the previous, which I backed up. But still got the errors, where previously I had not. Must be something I have missed. On this occasion, if I cannot right it, I'll ditch Aquas and make a simple water shader with ASE - it'll be fine for this job, which I need to get done.

17. StormchaserZA

StormchaserZA

Chris thank you! I am happy to report that Aquas is working 100% on my side! Running 2018.1.1f1

dogmachris likes this.
  18. mmaclaurin

mmaclaurin

Update:

Can reproduce this with following steps:
    - Create new project in Unity 2018.1.5f1
    - Import Aquas latest (according to asset store)
    - Use package manager to integrate Post Processing v2
    - Can't compile, multiple definitions of postProcessing, etc. as above

Looks like both post processing directives are being set, can't tell where.

I tried deleting AquasDefines, no joy.

19. mmaclaurin

mmaclaurin

Took a more careful walk through install and watching the symbols in hopes of helping with the fix.

STEP 1:
    a) New project Unity 2018.1.5f1, nothing imported:
    b) Scripting Define Symbols (in Player inspector) shows: UNITY_POST_PROCESSING_STACK_V2

STEP 2:
    a) Import Aquas 1.5.3 from store
    b) Edit > Project Settings > Player
    c) Scripting Define Symbols shows: AQUAS_PRESENT;UNITY_POST_PROCESSING_STACK_V1
    d) Can add water & run game

STEP 3:
    a) Window > Package Manager > All
    b) Import Post Processing 2
    c) Scripting Define Symbols shows: AQUAS_PRESENT;UNITY_POST_PROCESSING_STACK_V1;UNITY_POST_PROCESSING_STACK_V2
    d) Persistent compile errors as described above

At this point, simply removing the "V1" symbol from player inspector will allow you to run your game once, at which point AquasDefines will place the V1 definition back into the Scripting Define Symbols. (@dogmachris this is where you recommend deleting AquasDefines.cpp...my next step...)

Thought I'd share the details because it looks like:
    - Aquas install is falsely asserting V1 processing stack

Another related problem is that if you follow these steps:
    a) new project from Unity 2018.1.5f1
    b) use package manager to install post processing v2
    c) try to import aquas
    d) aquas install will fail on 50+ files that conflict with post processing system.

Hope this helps! Understand there's a lot of 2018 catchup work happening, just thought I'd share the detective work and hoping it's not all redundant :)

transat likes this.
  20. DougRichardson

DougRichardson

I know @dogmachris responded to you already about this, but I ended up changing the AQUAS_Caustics.cs file so that when running in editor mode, a copy of the caustic materials are modified to prevent the .mat files from changing.

Here's the diff.

Code (CSharp):
    1. λ svn diff Assets\AQUAS\Scripts\AQUAS_Caustics.cs
    2. Index: Assets/AQUAS/Scripts/AQUAS_Caustics.cs
    3. ===================================================================
    4. --- Assets/AQUAS/Scripts/AQUAS_Caustics.cs      (revision 1884)
    5. +++ Assets/AQUAS/Scripts/AQUAS_Caustics.cs      (working copy)
    6. @@ -15,7 +15,12 @@
    7.      //Initialize caustic image sequence
    8.         void Start () {
    9.                 projector = GetComponent<Projector> ();
    10. -               NextFrame ();
    11. +#if UNITY_EDITOR
    12. +        // in the editor, make a copy of the material so that runtime changes don't persist, resulting
    13. +        // in changes to PrimaryCaustics.mat and SecondaryCaustics.mat every time you run the game.
    14. +        projector.material = Instantiate(projector.material);
    15. +#endif
    16. +        NextFrame();
    17.                 InvokeRepeating ("NextFrame", 1 / fps, 1 / fps);
    18.                 projector.material.SetFloat ("_WaterLevel", transform.parent.transform.position.y);
    19.          projector.material.SetFloat("_DepthFade", transform.parent.transform.position.y-maxCausticDepth);

dogmachris and camta005 like this.
  21. sharkapps

sharkapps

Hi @dogmachris, I found an issue where Editor/AQUAS_AddDefine.cs is adding the UNITY_POST_PROCESSING_STACK_V2 when PPv2 is NOT installed, but Cinemachine v2.1.10 is. I don't know about earlier versions of Cinemachine, but at least this version has a "PostProcessLayer.png" file in /Assets/Cinemachine/PostFX/Editor/Resources. This file is what I believe is causing the UNITY_POST_PROCESSING_STACK_V2 symbol to be added when it shouldn't, at least in my case it was.

Best regards,
    Tony

FargleBargle and dogmachris like this.
  22. GrandMasterTux

GrandMasterTux

Good Evening community and @dogmachris. Wanted to start off saying Great Asset, I love how this looks.

I am trying to leverage aquas with pegasus/helios and I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I have seen allot of great videos created with these assets, but I have done two Unity Projects with the same issue. I reached out to the Helios Community and they redirected me here to see if I can get assistance. They thought it may be the code firing too early and never making it to the frame buffer so to do a post update. Not sure what I would need to change and wanted to see if that could be the issue.

Below is what I see in the Game View as the program is running. The small picture is what Helios is outputting.

Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 9.56.23 PM.jpg

Everything is showing up except the water in the Helios Export. Here is the execution showing Pegasus moving the camera and showing everything, but the above is the output I am getting.

Any thoughts on this?

Attached Files:

23. vhslagter

vhslagter

Assets/AQUAS/Scripts/AQUAS_Parameters.cs(33,35): error CS0102: The type `AQUAS_Parameters.UnderWaterParameters' already contains a definition for `defaultProfile'

24. vhslagter

vhslagter

25. vhslagter

vhslagter

For when this problem will be fixed.

26. Tomza

Tomza

Hi,
    Is Vulkan supported? I wish to have a good water that works with Vulkan.

27. mmaclaurin

mmaclaurin

Hello; I've been experimenting with different workarounds and this one should work for you:

If, like me, you are trying to get Aquas to run with the V2 processing stack:

1. Go to Edit->Project Settings->Player
    2. This will open the Player Settings in the inspector
    3. Scroll down to "Scripting Define Symbols"
    4. Edit it to say: "AQUAS_PRESENT;UNITY_POST_PROCESSING_STACK_V2"
    5. (that is to say, remove "UNITY_POST_PROCESSING_STACK_V1")
    6. Open Assets>Aquas>Editor>AQUAS_AddDefine.cs and comment out the entire file
    7. Open Assets>Aquas>Editor>AQUAS_RemoveDefine.cs and comment out the entire file

There are two primary problems:
    One problem is that Aquas always thinks V1 post-processing is present and will set the defines accordingly. So if you're trying to run V2, you'll get multiple defines as Aquas tries to load both. Manually editing the defines (step 4 above) and then telling aquas to stop changing them (6 and 7) works.

Another path that works is:
    1. Start a new project (using 2018.1)
    2. Add Aquas
    3. Aquas will create a post-processing folder
    5. Delete this folder
    6. Now use the package manager in 2018 to load post-processing V2.
    7. Caution: with this path, you can't enable underwater mode. Haven't found a workaround for that yet.

UPDATE: I'm just not going to use post-processing V2 for now - everything seems to hang together a bit better...

@dogmachris , any updates? On holiday?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  28. dogmachris

dogmachris

Could you provide a screenshot?
    Also do you have baked lighting? If so, please keep in mind, that AQUAS requires realtime lighting in order to work.
    In your case it might be a simple Question of settings in the material (transparency, fade, denstiy, main color, deep water color, etc.)?

29. dogmachris

dogmachris

To be perfectly honest, I cannot make much of this, especially if it is occurring in one particular scene only. I would probably go methodically and first disable everything except the water. If it is then showing up, go and enable one object after another to find which one is in conflict with AQUAS. If AQUAS does not even show up when everything else is disabled I'm a bit lost. :S Are there any settings specific to that scene of yours?

30. dogmachris

dogmachris

Go to the import settings of the flowmap and reduce the resolution to something rather small - does that help?

31. dogmachris

dogmachris

@mmaclaurin
    @vhslagter
    This happens, when AQUAS for some reason detects both versions of the PP stack in your project folder (not the asset folder). In some projects PPV2 shows up in the packages folder but sometime it does not and still AQUAS finds it somewhere.

Simple Fix:
    Delete the AQUAS_AddDefine.cs script from the Editor folder and remove the entry in the scripting definy symbols that is related to PPV1. That should do it.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    JBT27 likes this.
  32. dogmachris

dogmachris

This is helpful, thanks a bunch!

33. dogmachris

dogmachris

Jonathan Rossitter from Helios contacted me yesterday and told me that everything is working fine on his end. I had to tell him, that I have no clue as to why this might be happening. Have you tried a simple test in a fresh scene (maybe even fresh project), to see if it's a scene specific issue?

34. dogmachris

dogmachris

Not yet, Vulkan and DX12 support is currently in development.

35. Tomza

Tomza

Ok, thank you. Your water seems the best but I need Vulkan :(.

36. THHamiltonSmith

THHamiltonSmith

I have attached a screenshot of the water from scene view. It works when in game view and when I place a water4advnaced for some reason but then it only appears on some angles.

Attached Files:

37. NewMagic-Studio

NewMagic-Studio

Can it make curved rivers and it is suitable for VR?

38. JBT27

JBT27

Great. Thank you.

39. Artaani

Artaani

dogmachris

Hello. Great asset!

However I have a strange issue. I tried to add point light above the water in the demo scene and here is what I got:

2018-07-02 19_38_59-Window.png

Strange rectangles around reflections.
    Am I did not setup something properly?

Unity version 2018.1.6f1

=============================
    Upd:

And another question. How can I get a "trails on the water" effect from the motor boats like on the trailer from the 1:23?

I checked a manual but didn't found information about this effect.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  40. dogmachris

dogmachris

Looks somewhat abnormal, but I cannot really tell what is wrong from here. Please see if it occurrs in a fresh scene. Are you using a weather system? If so, please try disabling it and try a standard directional light - does that do anything?

Since it seems to work in play mode - as I understand - it might be that part of the lighting is only enabled when entering play mode - is that the case?

41. dogmachris

dogmachris

Yes, you can make curved rivers, AQUAS supports flow maps. Here is how:

Keep in mind though, that you cannot make rivers flowing downstream, it is more suited for large rivers flowing horizontally.

AQUAS works with all features in VR when using multi pass rendering. When using single pass stereo, realtime reflections will not work as expected due to the nature of how the reflection image is captured. Reflection probes are not affected by this issue though.

42. dogmachris

dogmachris

Update to the latest version of AQUAS from the store - it should fix the issue with the rectangles around light sources.

As for the boat trails:
    They're not included in AQUAS by default, they are particle effects I made for the feature video exclusively. However I don't mind sharing them, just shoot me an email, I will send them to you.

Artaani likes this.
  43. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

Howdy,

I'm running version 2018.1.6f1 with Aquas 1.5.3 and PP2 (tried both package manager version and latest GIT repo), and I've got the following issue:

The PP2 profiles don't load in a build (Windows) when using the underwater setup. They work marvelous in the editor. I noticed that if I left the PP volume empty, the default profile doesn't load in a build at all. If I put my profile in for the volume, it will load load during build, but the underwater profile doesn't work at all. None of the sounds work (bubbles are there but no post processing). I tried adding another volume and putting the underwater profile on it, but that didn't work either.

Any ideas?

44. empiregames

empiregames

Hello,
    We are using Unity 2018.1.6f1 and the latest version of Aquas. We are developing for mobile, so we used shader: AQUAS/Mobile/Bicolored Foamy. On our Galaxy S5 the water shader looks good, but on our S6 Edge and Galaxy tab 2 it looks like in the following picture:
    1530705423196.JPEG
    There are a lot of black stripes. Any idea why or how can we get rid of them?
    Thank you.

45. Artaani

Artaani

Ah, so simple solution. I forgot about it : )

Thanks you, now it works perfect!

46. THHamiltonSmith

THHamiltonSmith

I am using the enviro aquas intergration but I cant figure out how to change it.

47. ogilberry

ogilberry

Hi,
    I am experiencing performance problems in a OSX desktop build. I have a scene with some land and then a fairly large body of water using AQUAS_Reflection and the double sided/River shader. In a build, when water is out of shot it runs at a smooth 60fps, then when the water is in shot it drops down to 25-30. This has been confirmed on multiple OSX machines, and there is no such problem on windows builds.

Changing to one of the mobile shaders fixed this and ran at a smooth 60 fps, but I would like to use the desktop shader. The performance is only a problem in builds - in the editor, it runs at 60+fps using the desktop shader.

I wanted to check if there were any known performance issues for Mac that could be the problem here? before going into more detail about the scene and setup

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  48. DougRichardson

DougRichardson

I'm getting the following warning when building a player with AQUAS included:

Assets/AQUAS/Scripts/AQUAS_LensEffects.cs(94,23): warning CS0649: Field `AQUAS_LensEffects.postProcessingVolume' is never assigned to, and will always have its default value `null'

I am using Post Processing v2. The problem appears to be due to inconsistent use of preprocessor directives. AQUAS_LensEffects.cs has the following sections of code (I've redacted all irrelevant code):

Code (CSharp):
    1. #if UNITY_5_6_OR_NEWER && UNITY_POST_PROCESSING_STACK_V2 && AQUAS_PRESENT
    2.     PostProcessLayer postProcessing;
    3.     PostProcessVolume postProcessingVolume;
    4. #endif
    6. ...
    8. #if UNITY_POST_PROCESSING_STACK_V2 && UNITY_EDITOR && AQUAS_PRESENT
    9.         ...
    10.         postProcessingVolume = gameObjects.mainCamera.GetComponent<PostProcessVolume>();
    11. #endif
    13. ...
    15. #if UNITY_POST_PROCESSING_STACK_V2 && AQUAS_PRESENT
    16.         postProcessingVolume.profile = underWaterParameters.defaultProfile;
    17. #endif
    This works fine in the editor, but when I build (and thus UNITY_EDITOR is false), the last line where postProcessingVolume.profile is assigned but postProcessingVolume is null (due to the UNITY_EDITOR check failing in the 2nd preprocessor block above).

Here are the changes I'm using for my project, which moves the assignment of postProcessingVolume outside of the editor only code that adds a post processing layer if one is missing.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Index: Assets/AQUAS/Scripts/AQUAS_LensEffects.cs
    2. ===================================================================
    3. --- Assets/AQUAS/Scripts/AQUAS_LensEffects.cs   (revision 2064)
    4. +++ Assets/AQUAS/Scripts/AQUAS_LensEffects.cs   (working copy)
    5. @@ -176,7 +176,9 @@
    6.              gameObjects.mainCamera.AddComponent<PostProcessVolume>();
    7.              gameObjects.mainCamera.GetComponent<PostProcessVolume>().isGlobal = true;
    8.          }
    9. -
    10. +#endif
    11. +
    12. +#if UNITY_5_6_OR_NEWER && UNITY_POST_PROCESSING_STACK_V2 && AQUAS_PRESENT
    13.          postProcessingVolume = gameObjects.mainCamera.GetComponent<PostProcessVolume>();
    14. #endif

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  49. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

Was this causing your underwater effects to lack a post processing profile? I am having that happen in builds and haven't resolved it yet. Additionally, because the profiles are being loaded in script at runtime, unless I put the matching default profile in the volume on the camera, it won't be included in the build either.

50. DougRichardson

DougRichardson

I'm not using underwater effects at the moment, I think it will fail exactly as you are describing since postProcessingVolume is null on this line:

Code (CSharp):
    1. postProcessingVolume.profile = underWaterParameters.defaultProfile;

ScourgeGames likes this.