Search Unity

AQUAS Water/River Set - Water & Rivers for Mobile, VR, Web, Desktop

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dogmachris, Jan 8, 2016.

1. cRUSh75

cRUSh75

I've set up everything and also convinced Gaia to work again and in the editor everything runs smooth. But as soon as I want to build, it starts complaining that within the AQUAS_LensEffects.cs the name AssetDatabase does not exist (Line 132). I wonder if this might be caused by my changed and yes, if you don't mind I will send you the invoice no. Currently I'm having fun with restoring my scene so I'm on the edge how the solution might work.

2. mattis89

mattis89

I will send you my invoice later.

3. cRUSh75

cRUSh75

Ok, this is solved now as well for the moment. As far as I understood, the AssetDatabase is only available when in the editor, but not during build. So I excluded it from the building routine and it works again.

4. dogmachris

dogmachris

I've sent you a link to the patch. Please let me know, if it works.
    I'm going to submit the patched version now.

5. cRUSh75

cRUSh75

Hello,

thank you for the update and the patch you provided. I imported it into my scene and it does not show any error. Also building went fine. I still need to do some checks of the underwater effects/camera, as with my own patched version it as not running. But that's on my screen for later this evening.

If I find issues, not caused by my stupid scene setup, I will let you know. Thanks again, great support!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    dogmachris likes this.
  6. dogmachris

dogmachris

Hey guys, I've just finished another tutorial video.
    The video shows how to use AQUAS's buoyancy component and the volume mask shader to keep AQUAS from rendering inside boats.

Feedback highly appreciated! ;)

7. spso

spso

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your help. I`ll give it a spin and will look forward to your update in the mean time :)

Cheers,
    Simon

rocky1138 likes this.
  8. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Like the video: very clear, to the point and understandable. Thanks.

dogmachris likes this.
  9. igmbotzoorg

igmbotzoorg

Hi,
    I'm making a VR game to PC and PS4.
    In PS4 I'm having a flickering problem with AQUAS. I added the AQUAS_Camera component to the camera but doesn't fix the problem.
    Any idea to solve this?

10. dogmachris

dogmachris

Hey there, do you have a very large waterplane by any chance? Does scaling it down make any difference?

11. igmbotzoorg

igmbotzoorg

yes, that's the problem. How can I have a big water surface?
    Thanks for your help

12. igmbotzoorg

igmbotzoorg

I found a solution making a new water mesh with more poligons to make it bigger.

camta005 and dogmachris like this.
  13. dogmachris

dogmachris

Nice, I didn't know, the number of mesh vertices had an effect on this. :)

14. lucaslosi

lucaslosi

15. dogmachris

dogmachris

16. tork12

tork12

I'm still getting a bunch of errors with the new version of Aquas, starting with gaia integration not showing up, and then post processing errors, etc, etc. Has this been fixed, or fix is coming?

17. dogmachris

dogmachris

There was some issues with the initial 1.5 version. The fix went live on monday this week, but there was no version change. Have you imported AQUAS before then?
    If not, could you let me know, which errors you get?

18. tork12

tork12

Starting with Unity 2017.3 Aquas 1.4.1, Deleted Aquas water plane from scene, deleted Aquas folder. Can play scene with no issues. I downloaded new Aquas 1.5 when it was released aprox. 1 week ago.
    I don't see a new refresh option in asset store, so not sure if this is the week old version of 1.5
    or a new patched version. Clicked download again in case that will help, and imported. See image for errors.

Attached Files:

19. dogmachris

dogmachris

Okay, it seems for some reason AQUAS is not able to update the scripting define symbols automatically in your case. Go to the Player settings and have a look at the define symbols. If it contains UNITY_POST_PROCESSING_STACK_V1, replace it with UNITY_POST_PROCESSING_STACK_V2 and see if that works.

20. tork12

tork12

Player settings located where?

21. dogmachris

dogmachris

Edit > Project Settings > Player

22. tork12

tork12

It looks like V2 is already there. aquas2.PNG

23. tork12

tork12

Maybe it will help to trouble shoot, so mentioning that in the Gaia panel, the AQUAS integration no longer shows up.
    aquas3.PNG

24. SveinEven

SveinEven

Hello good sir!
    I am working on a fairly big simulator, and for this I will need a versatile and good water system.
    And in the search, I came across this, and I have a few questions.
    How is the performance on this(And AQUAS 2.0) compared to Water4Advanced?
    Will 2.0 be included in this purchase, or will that be a new asset?
    I saw the 2.0 preview video, and that looks exactly like what I might need. Does 1.5 support bigger waves etc (Like how the waves would act in a storm). Or is this a 2.0 feature?
    And do you have any ETA on 2.0?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions!

25. dogmachris

dogmachris

Okay and do you have the post processing stack v2 imported? If not, try changing the define symbol to UNITY_POST_PROCESSING_STACK_V1

26. tork12

tork12

That was it! Weird because I thought I had P.Processing V.2 installed actually. But not in this particular project.
    I've only became aware of Unity and that a person could try to make their own game just a couple of months ago, so still learning the relationships. Thanks for great support. My scene is looking nice with AQUAS. Thanks! AQUAS5.PNG

Mr-Logan and dogmachris like this.
  27. dogmachris

dogmachris

Hey there,

AQUAS has originally been created a mobile water asset, so it was made with performance in mind. It's usually at least as performant as Unity's daylight water - but with more options and better looks. Since it doesn't manipulate geometry (vertex displacement), it should easily outperform Water4Advanced.
    However the performance impact also depends on a number of factors that have to be set on the user's side - realtime reflections for instance can cause quite a performance impact if there are a lot of objects that have to be reflected (each reflected object effectively has to be rendered twice). Thus if no appropriate optimizations are being made, performance might not be satisfactory.

To answer your other Questions:
    No, AQUAS 2.0 will not be included in AQUAS and will probably go under the name of AQUAS Ultra. It's supposed to be a high quality state of the art water system, that lays focus mostly on visual quality, thus it will be a lot more demanding than AQUAS.

AQUAS Ultra will come as a separate package, but there will be a grace period (one or two weeks) during which everyone who owns AQUAS can get AQUAS Ultra for free.

I have no ETA on AQUAS Ultra, because I'm behind in schedule and I still have a lot of features to add. I will however release a playable demo fairly soon (maybe this month).

AQUAS 1.5 is actually flat and doesn't have physical waves - that's one reason why it's so performant. If you need physical waves, you might either wait, or consider a different solution.

I hope that answers all your questions. :)

hopeful likes this.
  28. Pauloxande

Pauloxande

Hello dogmachris friend, I have Aquas and I'm trying to make it work on my mobile. But when you put the camera in FORWARD the shader disappears and it becomes transparent like that

FORWARD

DEFERRED

Attached Files:

29. dogmachris

dogmachris

Hey there,

it seems like your camera is missing the AQUAS_Camera.cs script. It enables depth texture rendering in forward rendering mode. Does it work, when you attach the script to your camera object?

30. Pauloxande

Pauloxande

Yes working, dogmachris thanks man.

dogmachris likes this.
  31. Ivy-SM

Ivy-SM

Hi,
    I have problems using Aquas in Unity 2018 beta. Seems like LIGHT_ATTENUATION was replaced by UNITY_LIGHT_ATTENUATION, but it uses different parameters. Any ideas how to replace it?

32. nbaja1

nbaja1

I have this weird rim of reflection around my mask:
    upload_2018-3-21_12-33-37.png

As you can see when I turn off the mask, the reflection on the water goes away.
    upload_2018-3-21_12-34-42.png

Any ideas? I'm running on 5.6.5f1

33. ThermodynamicsMakesMeHot

ThermodynamicsMakesMeHot

Aquas and Networking: Adding waterplanes when player spawns.

Answered my own question.

In AQUAUS_LensEffects.cs

Code (csharp):
    2.    void Setup_Waterplanes()
    3.    {
    4.       List<GameObject> _waterPlanes = new List<GameObject>();
    5.       _waterPlanes.AddRange(GameObject.FindGameObjectsWithTag("Water"));
    6.       for (int i = 0; i < _waterPlanes.Count; i++)
    7.       {
    8.          gameObjects.waterPlanes.Clear();
    9.          gameObjects.waterPlanes.Add(_waterPlanes[i]);
    10.       }
    11.    }
    13.     // Then add to start()
    14.     void Start () {
    15.       Setup_Waterplanes();
    16.       ...
    17. }

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    dogmachris likes this.
  34. erenaydin

erenaydin

There was some shader errors at Unity 2018 Beta. I could not make it work.
    I will be glad if you check it sometime.

35. dogmachris

dogmachris

In the material settings try tweaking the refraction distance and the falloff. It reduces transparent refraction at larger distances which - my guess - is causing these artifacts.

36. dogmachris

dogmachris

@Ivy-SM Latest I have tested with is Unity 2017.3.1. There might be some changes in Unity 2018 that require adjustments to some of the shaders, but at this point adjusting would not make much sense, since the beta is not a final version. It might be solved on Unity's side in the end. I had the same experience with Unity 2017. In the beta there were some errors, but as soon as it went live, all shaders worked without any additional doing.

Ivy-SM and erenaydin like this.
  37. Adam_Starcaster

Adam_Starcaster

38. erenaydin

erenaydin

I understand that, I'm aware it's still in BETA. I wish I get only shader errors in Unity 2018, It's %5 of my problems with 2018 :)
    I guess it's relevant with having both of post processing 1 and post processing 2.
    I'm using Post Processing Profiles asset and I get this error. To resolve, you must remove one of post processing definition from the define symbols.

dogmachris likes this.
  39. dogmachris

dogmachris

As @erenaydin said, this is probably because AQUAS tries to update the define symbols automatically depending on which version of the post processing stack you have imported, but sometimes it won't be able to. Simply go to the player settings and in the define sambols, look for the symbol that says "UNITY_POST_PROCESSING_STACK_V1" or "UNITY_POST_PROCESSING_STACK_V2". Use one of those defines, depending on which version of the post processing stack you have imported. Does that solve the issue?

40. mmaclaurin

mmaclaurin

Heyo - I'm trying to get a good atmospheric scattering solution that a) is compatible with Aquas and b) is moderately mobile-friendly (high-end devices only.)

Enviro is great but the raymarched clouds are too expensive.

Enviro lite is perfect but does not do scattering or integrate with Enviro for its fog.

What choices are there?

Unfortunately Unity Forums won't let me search this forum for "fog" because it's "too short" of a word. Can someone recap the prospects for good fog with Aquas on Mobile? Many thanks.

41. erenaydin

erenaydin

You cannot use post processing v1 and post processing v2 together. So you need to remove some lines from AQUAS_AddDefine.cs

It should be like:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    4. using UnityEditor;
    5. using System.IO;
    7. namespace AQUAS
    8. {
    9.    [InitializeOnLoad]
    10.    public class AQUAS_AddDefine : Editor {
    12.        static AQUAS_AddDefine()
    13.        {
    14.            var symbols = PlayerSettings.GetScriptingDefineSymbolsForGroup(EditorUserBuildSettings.selectedBuildTargetGroup);
    16.            if (!symbols.Contains("AQUAS_PRESENT"))
    17.            {
    18.                symbols += ";" + "AQUAS_PRESENT";
    19.                PlayerSettings.SetScriptingDefineSymbolsForGroup(EditorUserBuildSettings.selectedBuildTargetGroup, symbols);
    20.            }
    21.         }
    22.    }
    23. }

After this you should remove the Definition one of the post processing stacks, you see I have only one postprocessing stack definition.
    scr2.jpg

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    jeromeWork, zeb33, CodeyLC and 2 others like this.
  42. rocky1138

rocky1138

Did it work? We are in desperate need of a single-pass water solution.

43. jaxdae

jaxdae

Hi there, I wanted to use aquas in my game together with gaia and enviro. In the Scene it looks the way I wanted it to look but somehow it doesn't shade correctly within the game. I think it might be somehow related to the main light source aquas uses to shade? But unfortunately I'm unable to fix that. Does someone know how to fix this? Thanks in advance :)

Attached Files:

44. dogmachris

dogmachris

Enviro is the only solution I am certain of, is properly integrated with AQUAS, but I have heard, that other weather assets are also integrating with AQUAS by now.

Jeff johnson has made a video on how to use AQUAS with weather maker and from what I know Unistorm is supposed to get an AQUAS integration too in the near future - I don't know if the same goes for Unistorm Mobile though.

Best would probably be to ask those guys directly what you can do or how, since I'm not really the weather guy here. :rolleyes:

45. dogmachris

dogmachris

That is strange.
    You mean it looks different in the scene view as it does in the game view or does it look different when in playmode and in edit mode? Or does it look different in the editor and in the build?

46. jaxdae

jaxdae

It looks quite nice both in the scene view and in the game view but as soon as I'm in the actual playmode is shades flat just as if I had put a plane there...

47. spso

spso

Hi, Unfortunately not. Although I did not invest too many hours into that as it would be outside the project budget. Now I am looking forward for the proper (and not improvised by me) solution from dogmachris. :)

What I did recognize however is that imho the solution does not solely lie in an update of the shader but also necessitates some changes in the scripts.

Cheers,
    Simon

48. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

I'm using AQUAS 1.5 and unity 2017.2.1f1

I have an issue where I can't change the Render Queue, it just stays as 3000 and From Shader no matter which I pick or what I try to write

upload_2018-4-6_20-51-11.png

The real problem though is that I have a number of trees in my Environment, and they render below the water plane.

upload_2018-4-6_20-52-22.png

Other suggestions I've found was to change the render queue to 2800 but nothing happens when I do.
    I've tried changing the "Queue" tag value but I can't write 2800 as Unity just complains and removes the water.

How do I fix this? :)

49. camta005

camta005

You need to edit the render queue value in the "Aquas_Render Queue Editor" component, which should be attached to your water plane. The default value is -1, try changing it to 2800 there.

dogmachris, cRUSh75 and Mr-Logan like this.
  50. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

Doh, I hadn't noticed that component, that solved the problem. Thank you! :)

dogmachris and camta005 like this.