Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

AQUAS Water/River Set - Water & Rivers for Mobile, VR, Web, Desktop

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dogmachris, Jan 8, 2016.

1. mattis89

mattis89

What sucks so much is that post process stack 2 dosent work... and it means I cant use lightning box v 2.5

2. wigglypuffs

wigglypuffs

Thanks for that, now I can crank the FOV back up until the author of Aquas comes up with a more permanent solution. Does anyone know if he's working on it?

@dogmachris paging the doctor

3. creat327

creat327

Using latest Unity 2017.2 patch from yesterday. I get this error when importing gaia:
    Assets/AQUAS/Scripts/AQUAS_Gaia.cs(51,13): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `GaiaSceneInfo' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

I searched all the folders trying to find that GaiaSceneInfo with no luck. Where should it be located?

4. basil3

basil3

Hey,

Is anybody experiencing really small caustics on underwater objects?

Can't seem to get them larger/normal?

Stephen.

smallcaustics.jpg

5. blitzvb

blitzvb

hey,

is it possible to have the source of the RTS demo? I have some difficulty to reproduce that.

thanks in advance.

6. creat327

creat327

was there any progress on shoreline waves? something basic at least like these guys:

that's a $15 asset on unreal, and so far i haven't found anything that looks even as basic as that on unity. So if this one makes it or any other asset, please let me know because it doesn't show on the videos

ftejada, MarkusGod and blitzvb like this.
  7. Migueljb

Migueljb

Single pass in VR still doesn't work in 2017.3 has this horrible feeling and look as your in the rift headset. Anyone know if this is still a bug with unity or if anyway to hack Aquas to fix this?

8. sgower

sgower

Hi, there's been a lot of people asking about single pass rendering. Dev, can you comment on this?
    Will this ever be working, or have you decided that it's simply not possible? Does this currently work with any version of Unity? I think a lot of people here would like clarification on this issue. Thanks!

Rowlan likes this.
  9. IIporpammep

IIporpammep

Hi. I have a problem with ground visible through objects in the deep water. I use AQUAS/Desktop and Web/One-Sided/Double-Textured
    Look on yellow sand on borders of the object.

If I set refraction value of the shade to 0, it looks better.(except of sand pixels caused by antialiasing)

if I set Depth Transparency to 150

If I set Depth Transparency to 500

How can I fix this problem if I want to use refraction?

10. IIporpammep

IIporpammep

And my second problem is that objects(or parts of objects) above shallow water shown with this strange waving outline

On the deep water, there is no waving outline.

How can I fix this problem?

11. IIporpammep

IIporpammep

If I set refraction to 0 then there is no waving outline.

12. dogmachris

dogmachris

The outline comes from the distortion of an object that is being looked at when shallow water is behind it. That is because AQUAS can't know if the distorted parte of an object is underwater or not (it can't use the z-buffer), so it distorts the entire object. Fortunately Unity considers the depth buffer before any render queues, so the object itself stays in front, but the distorted image can still show around the object itself, which can be tedious when increasing refraction.

You can only milden that effect by reducing refraction, I'm afraid there's no way to turn it off completely.

One onther thing I'm seeing on your images though:
    You seem to be using a wrong texture on your water. Please select the medium waves texture in the material inspector. Have a look at the project view and see which texture is currently used for the material. If it's MediumWaves_norm, please replace it with the one next to it that is called MediumWaves_tex. The only difference between the two is the texture type - one is declared a normal map while the other one is declared a texture. For the shader you're using you should use the one that is declared a texture, not a normal map.

With that you might be able to reduce refraction far enough to milden the outline effect to an acceptable level while keeping a good looking water.

13. dogmachris

dogmachris

I'm currently working on an update that should've been out in december already. However I had to delay it, because AQUAS has been on 3 consecutive sales and I wasn't able to keep up. That update will not yet include the solution to the SPSR issue.
    SPSR support is planned for when the new AQUAS with ocean support comes out.

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  14. dogmachris

dogmachris

I'm afraid that's not possible because it uses assets that I can't just share. I can tell you though that the camera used is this, while the terrain was created using Gaia.

15. dogmachris

dogmachris

Hey Stephen, that's because terrains and other objects have different UV layouts. You can put the terrain on a different layer and have the caustic projectors cast caustics only on that layer. Then you can duplicate the projectors and the caustic materials and increase the tiling value on them until caustics are about the same size as on the terrain. Have those new projectors cast caustics on all layers except the terrain. That should do the trick.

16. dogmachris

dogmachris

Uuuh... the script has the line
    Code (CSharp):
    1. #if GAIA_PRESENT && UNITY_EDITOR
    in it, so that shouldn't even compiled without Gaia in the project. Do you have Gaia in the project? If not, when you open up the script, is everything greyed out?

17. dogmachris

dogmachris

Working on it. Hoping to have everything ready in february.

mattis89 likes this.
  18. dogmachris

dogmachris

Yes

19. dogmachris

dogmachris

One big plane will be fine to a size of about 100x100 km. Above that I would consider using tiles.

20. dogmachris

dogmachris

You can resize the water lens and the air lens to cover your FOV exactly.

21. dogmachris

dogmachris

You can delete the script "AQUAS_RemoveDefine" for the time being. It's meant to remove a define when AQUAS is deleted but it's only neccessary when using Enviro and even then the define may be removed manually. I'll fix this in the upcoming update.

22. dogmachris

dogmachris

I'm so sorry for the delay. Being on consecutive sales just keeps one extremely busy, I'm trying to keep up as best as I can. Apologies. :S

mattis89 likes this.
  23. dogmachris

dogmachris

Spheres with emissive material and point lights in them. Remember to increase the pixel light count in the quality settings if you're planning to use many lights.

ftejada likes this.
  24. dogmachris

dogmachris

You may want to use water tiles rather than a single big plane. Here's a tutorial on how to do it.

Weird thing though, I've tested a single plane up to a size of 100x100 km without issues. :rolleyes:

boysenberry and mattis89 like this.
  25. dogmachris

dogmachris

You need to resize the underwater lens and the air lens to exactly fit your FOV, that should do it.
    @wigglypuffs @dsilverthorn @basil3

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  26. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

I was having this issues myself. I'll give this a try next time I'm in that project. Sounds like the sales must have been good to you, but maybe hell on the stress levels with the amount of new users to support afterwards? Don't forget to breathe, man...

Keep up the great work Chris!

dogmachris likes this.
  27. Ruufer

Ruufer

I am receiving the same error when I try to build my Lightmap - this is an issue because the error throw stops the lightmap bake.

any ideas?

28. Ruufer

Ruufer

Additionally, as some have experienced, my caustics project across the entire terrain. I am using underwater effects. Changing the Orthographic size has no discernible effect on the projection. Are the caustic textures supposed to be set to Clamp on import? I tried this, but then the caustics don't work at all.

thanks for your time & the great asset.

29. wwg

wwg

Hi @dogmachris and others,
    I've noticed that when the UnderWaterCameraEffects (AQUAS_LensEffects script) is enabled, the system fog can't be disabled or changed. This prevents systems like Unistorm from changing the fog colors throughout the day/night cycle. Any ideas for preventing this?

Thanks!

Note: I'm still using Aquas 1.4.1

boysenberry likes this.
  30. PBS42

PBS42

Hi @dogmachris,

I really am enjoying the look of AQUAS, and I am very excited to hear you will be putting waves in as well in the near future!

I am having an issue right now in VR (using Oculus Rift). I have my VR camera setup attached to a boat. When I look out at the bow while the boat is moving, I see extreme jittering. There is no jitter visible in the Unity game window however, only visible in the VR headset. When the boat is stationary everything looks fine as well. I've tried switching between single and multipass rendering but that doesn't seem to have any impact. I've heard some people mention that you need to use AQUAS with 2 cameras for VR, but I'm not sure how to do that nor have I been able to find any tutorials on this, or mention of it in your documentation. Are you perhaps familiar with this issue?

Thank you!

31. dogmachris

dogmachris

Hey there,

multi camera setup actually means the multi pass setup, but that only affects realtime reflections, other than that there's no difference.
    I haven't heard about the jittering before to be honest, but if you have a very big waterplane, it might work to use smaller water tiles instead. With big water planes the scale-bound tiling might cause numerical inaccuracies.

Does that help?

32. dogmachris

dogmachris

AQUAS needs control of the fog when underwater, but in 1.4.2 there's a way to turn off fog control when afloat.

You can manually set AQUAS to not manipulate fog while not underwater. To do this, follow these instructions:
    • Open the AQUAS_LensEffects.cs script.
    • Outcomment line 58 (or delete it, if you're sure you won't need it anymore in the future) and save.
    • In the inspector of the UnderwaterCameraEffects you should now have an additional checkbox that says "Set Afloat Fog"
    • Uncheck it and AQUAS will no longer handle the fog, when not underwater.
    Keep in mind, that this only works with the latest AQUAS release.

Beware though, that the fog needs to be handled by something when afloat, otherwise it will just stay the same when getting out of the water.

wwg and boysenberry like this.
  33. dogmachris

dogmachris

The caustics shouldn't show outside the water. I just made a test rescaling the water plane and the caustics follow along.
    Are your caustic projectors child objects of the waterplane? Have you changed anything about them?
    I would probably go the safe way and just remove AQUAS from the scene and readd it via quick setup.

As to your other question, these error messages are known, I'll have them fixed in the upcoming update (it's late already I know, but it should be out in febuary). Meanwhile, just delete the AQUAS_RemoveDefine.cs from the scripts folder, that should do for now.

boysenberry likes this.
  34. Migueljb

Migueljb

Hey dogmachris any update on if Aquas works with single pass rendering in 2017.3 or any way to hack it to work with single pass in VR?

35. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

36. dogmachris

dogmachris

It still doesn't. An update to fix this will be published once the new AQUAS (ocean) goes live (not the upcoming update in febuary).

37. dogmachris

dogmachris

Sorry, I missed this one.
    I know @Vondox made an integration for enviro, but I don't know of an integration with deep sky haze. The interfaces for integration are there though, so it can be done, but it's something to be done from the "weather side" of things.

38. DMCwildcard

DMCwildcard

hello :)
    in my project i have some problems with the caustics,...
    they will be displayed on the terrain but not on objects like a cube on the top of the underwater terrain....

any ideas? thanks :D

39. dogmachris

dogmachris

That's due to way UVs work on the terrain. The setup is different on objects, thus the tiling needs to be a lot lower for those.
    To get it to work, you can move your terrain to a separate layer and only display caustics on that layer. Then duplicate the caustic projectors (and the materials) and have them cast caustics on every other layer, but not on the terrain and reduce the tiling significantly.

Unfortunately objects with different UV layouts need that adjustment, otherwise the caustics are different in size for them.

I know, it's not the most beautiful workaraund, but It should do.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  40. DMCwildcard

DMCwildcard

thx for the fast answer, it works fine,

thanks 4 support :)

dogmachris likes this.
  41. MaliceA4Thought

MaliceA4Thought

HI :)

just imported Aquas into a project of mine and it looks great. I have one issue though.. I am getting a line where the terrain ends around the Island. The water level is at 50 and the terrain edges are at 1 but they are still projecting a line upwards at the edge.

I Used Gaia to build the terrain, and use CTS, Enviro and Veg Studio.

Enclosing a screenshot for clarity. If you have any ideas of what I missed here I would be grateful.

M

enviro1.jpg

42. dogmachris

dogmachris

Those are the borders that are required for the underwater fog to render on. When you're afloat you might get into a situation in which you can see them. A simple way to prevent this, is to only activate them when you're underwater and have them deactivated while you're afloat.

I've attached a script to do that for you. Simply attach it to your waterplane and drop the "Borders" object from your hierarchy to the Borders variable in the inspector.

I've decided to add this as a default functionality with the next update, since it keeps coming up. :)

Attached Files:

43. Scott-Steffes

Scott-Steffes

Are you sure there is no way to sample the depth texture at the UV coordinate the refraction is sampling from?
    In my game, the shore below the water is close to all one color so if I could detect the situations where the refraction sample is closer to the camera than the water I could just return that solid color and it would probably look alright.
    When you sample the scene Z value using something like:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. LinearEyeDepth (UNITY_SAMPLE_DEPTH(tex2Dproj(_CameraDepthTexture, UNITY_PROJ_COORD(i.projPos)))) - _ProjectionParams.g
    Isn't there some way to use the refraction-modified UVs to sample the depth texture again? Or is there some special information in i.projPos that you only have access to for the current pixel/fragment?

Thank you, in general the water shader has been amazing and has greatly improved the look of our game!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  44. mattis89

mattis89

Hello! I use enviro and I have alot of fog.. but the fog is not affecting the water.... how can I do that?

45. SSL7

SSL7

Any estimation on Aquas 2.0?

blitzvb likes this.
  46. dogmachris

dogmachris

By default AQUAS does not receive fog that relies on the z-buffer, because it's alpha-blended, but Enviro should have an integration to make AQUAS receive proper fog. Best would probably be to ask @Vondox about further information.

47. mattis89

mattis89

Hmm I ticked custom fog.. seems to work?

Desktop Screenshot 2018.01.29 - 02.46.39.43.png

48. dogmachris

dogmachris

Well custom fog is an option that displays a fog on the water. By adjusting color and density you can have it blend in smoothly with the rest of your scene's fog. That's a solution menat to be used with systems that cannot otherwise cast fog on AQUAS water, but as said, Enviro should have a workaround built into it, you might want to try that.

mattis89 likes this.
  49. dogmachris

dogmachris

There's still some work ahead of me. I'm a bit back due to the update for AQUAS I'm currently working on and due to the sales AQUAS has been on late last year. I should have a more precise schedule by march, but it still is a matter of months I'm afraid.

50. syscrusher

syscrusher

Good evening! I have Aquas deployed in my scene and looking great, but I think I have some parameters wrong because I'm seeing poor rendering performance. I'm hoping you can help.

There is no ocean plane, but rather a total of seven small puddles or ponds, ranging in diameter between about 5 and 15 meters. My platform is a high-end PC with an Nvidia 1080 GPU and a 4.5 GHz CPU, so hardware shouldn't be a problem. I'm finding that with the Aquas planes disabled in the editor, I get around 50 to 110 FPS depending on where I am in the scene. With the Aquas planes enabled, I get from 8 to 40 FPS, unless I move the camera to a location where the water planes are out of the camera's frustum.

Some interesting data points are that all the water planes are marked as static for occluder and occludee, and I have done an occlusion map bake since placing the water. The main camera has occlusion culling enabled. I"m still not convinced the water planes are being culled, but I'm going to do some additional testing with the occlusion visualizer tool.

I've been through the manual and seen the suggestion to use the mobile shaders, but since my target platform is desktop only, I was hoping to stay with the desktop shaders. I've tested in both forward and deferred render mode. My scene overall is slightly faster in deferred, because I have a lot of point light sources, but for Aquas it doesn't seem to matter which render mode I use. (I have all the Aquas materials set to ignore pixel lights, by the way.)

My application doesn't need foam or other special effects. These are just small ponds with gently rippling water, but they'll be seen up close by the camera (this is a cinematic render, not a game).

The final scene will use mixed lighting mode, but for now everything is realtime because light map baking takes many hours on this scene. With the water planes disabled, this isn't a problem and I'm beating the target of 30 FPS by a comfortable margin.

Can you suggest which parameters I might look at to disable unneeded features and improve performance? I really don't think there's anything wrong with Aquas, but I'm new to the product and have probably made a setup mistake somewhere. :)

Thanks for any advice.