Search Unity

AQUAS Water/River Set - Water & Rivers for Mobile, VR, Web, Desktop

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dogmachris, Jan 8, 2016.

1. pixxelbob

pixxelbob

I'm really sorry, it's not good news. No change on my Nexus 5X & Nexus 7

rps20160304_204535.jpg rps20160304_203841.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

3. jf3000

jf3000

4. dogmachris

dogmachris

As far as I can see, the main differences underwater are, that AQUAS spawns 3D morphing bubbles, grains and distorts the image a bit and has a differently looking effect when surfacing. Also the main difference between AQUAS and Suimono is, that AQUAS is alpha blended and suimono is actually opaque.

jf3000 likes this.
  5. dogmachris

dogmachris

I'm at it right now - I'm terribly sorry for that.

6. pixxelbob

pixxelbob

No need to apologise, it's great that you're actively working to resolve it! and I really want it to work on as many devices as possible :D as I'm aiming to target a wide range.

I wonder what's different about your Nexus 7 than mine.
    Model: ME370T
    Android: 5.1.1
    Kernel: 3.1.10-gf5d7b8b (Jan 8th 15)
    Build: LMY47V

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  7. dogmachris

dogmachris

Here:
    Model: Nexus 7 (that's what it says)
    Android: 5.1.1
    Kernel: 3.4.0-g0baf67b (mar 21st 15)
    Build: LMY47V

Actually the Kernel is the only major difference, but I'm not sure how this could affect graphics.

8. wood333

wood333

I have been looking at the quick start features for the new version and it appears you have a very convenient way to get Aquas set up. I will need to upgrade and I recall from the forum posts that it is advised to remove the existing install, first.

You have such a nice quick start, what would be really cool would be a quick removal button, (for use when upgrading). Many asset developers require us to do this manually, and you would be one of the first to automate this feature for us.

Just a thought.

Oh, love your asset, in case you were wondering.

9. wood333

wood333

In reading through the docs another idea occurred to me. If I recall correctly, you have different textures and tiling for waves, small, medium and large. Can these be swapped in real time, meaning, could the wave size be tied to scene wind speed, so when the weather gets worse the waves get bigger?

(Maybe be the first water asset to do this?)

10. dogmachris

dogmachris

Well honestly, I wouldn't know, how to automatically remove the old installation, when you click the import button, since it's a process withing Unity, not within the asset imported. Is there any asset, that can somehow do it, I'd be happy to know, which one it is. :)

AQUAS doesn't have a thing such as wind so far, because it consists of flat shaders and wind doesn't make much sense to me at this point. However all the values on the material such as wave speed and tiling are freely accessible and say if you have a dynamic weather system, you could grab the wind speed from it and write a short script that binds the wave speed to the wind speed.

Once I implement some acceptable waves, wind will of course come with AQUAS and will of course also affect the waves.

P.S.: Glad you love it! :) :)

11. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

My 1st tests with AQUAS Water Set in Gaia have been pretty decisive for me :)
    some screens:

Love it so far, i needed a water solution for my scenes in Gaia, i'm just now so satisfied with it and i have only tried 1 of the 9 flat water shaders !

12. wood333

wood333

There is "Package Uninstaller," a free utility on the asset store, but I do not believe it has been perfected.

I only thought it would be helpful if the Aquas "Quick Setup" could be reversed, (simply removing the same components it added to the scene). Then leave it to me to delete the main Aquas folder. I will be floating this suggestion to other unity asset developers. Maybe the notion will catch on.

I have a lot of work to do selecting and tweaking assets, but here is shot of Aquas water in a project overseen by Ork Framework, with Silver Lining Sky, using the Motion Controller 2's orbit camera. No incompatibility issues.

Aquas demo shot.JPG

Teila and dogmachris like this.
  13. dogmachris

dogmachris

Glad to see it's working well for you :)

Yeah well, I could add such a button to remove AQUAS from the scene, it's not much of an effort, but I'm wondering if it's of much use, since you can simply delete the waterplane and the underwatercameraeffects object from the scene, and by deleting them together with their child objects, you pretty much remove AQUAS from the scene completely. :)

TheSeawolf likes this.
  14. wood333

wood333

Sounds simple... then I create a new water plane, resize it for my terrain, reset the Y value for this terrain (which I may have to double check to get just right - only takes a moment), then go into the inspector, and check/reset the tags, reset the layers, reset the Qhierarchy symbol (blue oval), save the scene; where was that underwater camera effect component? Ah, child of the main camera - got it. Oh, and and now repeat that for every scene.

Whew! Welcome to my world.

15. dogmachris

dogmachris

Yeah, it can take a bit if you have a lot of scenes with water in them - but imagine you also had to add and configure all the image effects manually for every scene...

16. Alex3333

Alex3333

Good afternoon. I know how to underwater effect is made on the basis of the fog . The question is in unity when the camera is 5 - deferred rendering , the fog does not work. It turns out you have an underwater effect does not work when the deferred rendering ?! I'm right? And it will like it addressed this issue ?

17. Smokas

Smokas

Added AQUAS water and underwater effects to Gaia - the whole scene washed out. No reflections on water, looks dead - the standard assets water works much better.

18. wolfen231

wolfen231

I have tried that asset and it does tend to leave things in the project. It doesn't 100% clear things out.

wood333 likes this.
  19. NemoKrad

NemoKrad

How on earth have you managed to do that, can you post some screen shots of what you are experiencing, maybe someone her could help you out?

Include your version of Unity, the machine you are running on and an image of the settings you are using. Do you have any other Image Effects in play?

20. dogmachris

dogmachris

I'm very sorry, you're having trouble with AQUAS. Reflections should work out of the box and the asset has been tested with gaia repeatedly by multiple users, including Adam (creator of Gaia).

If you could give me a more detailed description of what is going on when you add AQUAS to the scene, and maybe even provide a screenshot or two, I'd be happy to help you out. Also, you can contact me via email for support anytime.

turboscalpeur and NemoKrad like this.
  21. Smokas

Smokas

Followed Gaia Quick Start Guide option 2, added AQUAS afterwards. Unity 5.3.3p2, MacBook Pro mid 2015.

I suspect maybe Linear Deferred Lighting is the problem.

PS. Created new project only with AQUAS asset - no problem.

22. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Some additional information would be a huge help. I add Aquas water via Gaia Manager all the time while I'm testing stamps and haven't seen this issue at all. There has to be something in your setup or workflow that is causing this. Just making a blanket statement without providing information about your configuration or setup isn't helpful at all. :)

AQUAS works fine with Gaia. The only issue I have with it is underwater effects not working in deferred rendering mode, which Chris is aware of and is looking into.

Do you have the Unity standard asset packages for Camera and Image Effects installed? I'm half wondering if you don't have the required camera effects installed that Aquas installs with the underwater effects. Or I wonder if you have installed another asset that included those effects but from an older unity version.

Have you tried doing this in a fresh project with only Gaia, Aquas, and the required unity standard assets installed?

23. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Sorry.. Looks like we were posting at same time.. Sounds like there is another asset in your first project that maybe installed an outdated image effects if it is working fine in a new project. I've also see a lot of posts and heard of a lot of folks having issues with 5.3.3 being flaky...

24. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Very strange, i have still used AQUAS in Gaia last night and it worked perfectly for me; obviously in Deferred/Linear, instantly my water was ready to use in my scene.

If any problem occurs, you should post some screens, to see exactly what happening

PS (my shots above #111 have been made this week in Gaia with AQUAS).

25. Smokas

Smokas

I will put examples in few minutes.

26. Smokas

Smokas

Before:

Before AQUAS.png

After:

After AQUAS.png

27. dogmachris

dogmachris

Oh, that's strange, I've never seen this behaviour before.

I would dare a very careful guess, that there's an image effect component twice on your camera (?)
    Could you check if there's two tone mapping components in you camera's inspector (or any other component that shows up twice)?

The behaviour might be caused by one of the image effects, but since I can't reproduce the error here, I don't know which one it might be. Could you simply disable them in the inspector one by one and see if disabling them makes the problem disappear?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  28. dogmachris

dogmachris

Hi Alex, yes, the fog is currently buggy in deferred rendering mode. The reason is, that it's relying on Unity's global fog, which isn't picked up correctly by objects with opaque shaders on them (like terrains) when not in forward rendering mode.

I'm already at solving this issue and will most likely submit an updated version for the asset next week.
    I'm very sorry for the inconvenience.

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  29. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

@Smokas, i guess (as i can't see on your screen every Unity's windows) as told you @dogmachris mostly an or so image effects "issue" which simply need to be settled.
    Personally, i always tweak my image effects, lightings etc.. added on a scene, until going satisfied with my wishes and all the components added in it.

30. Smokas

Smokas

OK there are steps to reproduce:

1. Ensure that Unity 5.3.3p2 is installed.
    2. Create new project.
    3. Import Gaia package.
    4. Import Characters, Effects and Environment (deselect SpeedTree) packages
    5. Create new terrain according Gaia Quick Start Guide Option 2. For simplicity do not place hill in the middle of terrain and spawn only once. Everything in Standard Gaia Manager tab.
    6. In GX Gaia Manager tab click Set Linear Deferred Lighting and Set Afternoon Light.
    7. Play game - everything looks fine.
    8. Close and open project again.
    9. Import AQUAS package.
    10. In GX Gaia Manager tab click Add Aquas button.
    11. Play game - notice that water structure is "frozen".
    12. In GX Gaia Manager tab click Add Underwater Effects button.
    13. Play game - notice that scene is washed out.

At import of AQUAS package I noticed that version of some components is different - maybe here is the issue?

31. Smokas

Smokas

Yes, I know, everything can fixed (I have solid development experience - but not in Unity/game area). But when you getting something wrong right out the box - it is not good :)

32. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

@Smokas, I haven't tried underwater effect, but have added aquas to many scenes across a range of unity versions with no issues and its an outstanding asset.

There could be any number of reasons that you are experiencing this issue on this particular patch of this particular version of unity ranging from self inflicted wounds to unity bugs to aquas edge cases / bugs.

As an experienced dev who presumably knows how difficult it is to get everything right all the time in a constantly changing environment that you have no control over, you might also consider the effect of the way you choose to communicate.

In my experience people are more inclined to want to be helpful when you haven't just put them and their work down.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  33. Smokas

Smokas

Hi,

Seems problems were with UnderWaterCameraEffects - I have updated to Unity 5.3.3p3, cannot reproduce problem.
    Adam, I know that the most difficult part is to reproduce bug :) - so I tried to give as much information as possible. Understanding why it happens even without fixing is IMO good - it helps prevent problems.
    Sorry for my communication style - I know I am too straightfull sometimes :(

34. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Glad you got it sorted :)

Unity can be quite a difficult environment to develop for as an asset producer.

There is generally a huge amount of work to do, and you are usually just one guy doing it part time because you love it and want to do something nice for the community. Even though some money changes hands, its usually not much compared to the commercial value of your time.

I don't envy Unity either. The same thing needs to run perfectly across a wide range of platforms. They need to drive it forward while at the same time not break everything thats out there.

Super fun though. Its a great environment and great community.

35. dogmachris

dogmachris

I'm glad it works for you now. :)

It's very uncommon that a bug seems to occur with only a single version of Unity, but not with later or earlier versions. :confused:

I'll try to reproduce the bug with Unity 5.3.2 and fix it with a future update.

Thank you for pointing it out! :)

BackwoodsGaming and S4G4N like this.
  36. Smokas

Smokas

The version I downloaded was from patches section - 5.3.3p2 - http://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases
    Maybe it is not common to download from here :)

37. dogmachris

dogmachris

38. KristoferBoman

KristoferBoman

IMG_3327 2.PNG IMG_3326.PNG Hi,

I have the same problem as @pixxelbob with jagged shorelines, tested all shaders. This is on iOS, tested on iPhone 6, iPhone 6+, iPhone 6S all with iOS 9.xx. Please see screens. Also, i have the exact same problem with DCG Water shaders.

39. dogmachris

dogmachris

@KristoferBoman As far as I know so far, the issue is related to alpha blended shaders in Unity and limited to gles builds. I'm currently trying to get this sorted.

Have you tried building it for metal?

40. dogmachris

dogmachris

@Smokas After a bit of digging, I've found out the reason for your issue. It seems that in certain Unity versions with certain configurations and only on OS X the issue happens, whenever one is using multi sample anti-aliasing and image effects in linear color space. It's a bug in Unity rather than in AQUAS and the reason you couldn't reproduce it with 5.3.3p3 is that it was fixed from 5.3.3p2.

Please have a look at the following entries in the Unity bug tracker:
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...-effect-brightens-scene-in-linear-color-space
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...der-renders-much-brighter-on-opengl-in-linear

Cheers
    Chris

41. kilju

kilju

sorry didnt remember to comment u back.
    after i deleted old installation and installed fresh everything started to work :D thank you.
    i found little bug that was eating my fps using aqua. so if u guys are having fps dropping
    comment out in
    lenseffect.cs

if (GameObject.Find("Tenkoku DynamicSky") != null)
    {
    GameObject tenkokuObj = GameObject.Find("Tenkoku DynamicSky");
    var tenkokuModule = tenkokuObj.GetComponent("TenkokuModule");
    FieldInfo enableTenkokuFog = tenkokuModule.GetType().GetField("enableFog", BindingFlags.Public | BindingFlags.Instance);
    if (enableTenkokuFog != null) enableTenkokuFog.SetValue(tenkokuModule, true);
    }

after commenting my fps rise dramatically

dogmachris likes this.
  42. dogmachris

dogmachris

ooooooooh - right - oooops. :confused:

Sorry, that's in there, because AQUAS comes as a Gaia extension, just as Tenkoku and because a lot of people own all 3, I added that code to switch off Tenkoku fog when underwater.
    Since Tenkoku is all written in js, it can be a bit tricky to do that from a c# script, but yeah, of course, if you're not using Tenkoku, that piece of code doesn't serve any purpose.

However you commented only the code, that reenables the fog when diving up - if you want to disable it fully, you should also comment out the code, that disables Tenkoku fog in the first place (Line 216 - 222).

Thanks a lot for pointing that out @kilju and sorry for that. :)

Cheers!

43. Smokas

Smokas

Hi Chris,

Thank you very much for information. I am newcomer to Unitiy area, but already noticed "fluctuations" in Unity engine quality :)

BR,
    Gedas

44. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Hey Chris! I've been working working with Aquas again on my Aldabra Atoll and the new update is simply excellent. What I love most is the shallow water effect, especially in the first picture below where you can see the land beneath the water, don't know the best word to explain it but it looks 'fleshy', exactly how it looks in reality. I noticed it's stronger when reflections are turned low or off, but yet to find the perfect balance. Hoping to get some fish in there sooner or later. Just a few questions:

1. I noticed a lag when I enter and leave the water, is this a result of the Tenkoku code mentioned above? If so, I will try to remove the code, but I hope that a future update could remove this code as I'm sure a lot of non-programmers like myself will use your water system, and I wouldn't have even realised if I hadn't read Kilju's comment.

2. I tried to make smaller ponds using the double shader, by duplicating the water plane as stated in the manual. However I want to make the smaller ponds light brown, but any changes I make are applied to the ocean shader as well. What's the best way to do this?

3. The final picture below I didn't really like, but I put it in just to highlight an issue I have with a line which appears just before the horizon. It looks like this is the boundary box of the water. Do you know what is causing this? I think I can work around it by increasing the size of the ocean and reducing the far-clipping plane, but it would be nice to know how to remove it.

But excellent job all-round Chris! Looking forward to the next update :)

Aldabra (4).jpg

Aldabra (3).jpg

Aldabra (7).jpg

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  45. dogmachris

dogmachris

Hey Jon,

AWESOME pics there. You always seem to be a step ahead of me with the setup, this looks stunning!

To answer your questions:
    1. I'm not gonna remove the code, because it's useful, but I realise, it's rather poorly written and thus a weakness, so I'm gonna rewrite it in a way that it doesn't have a performance impact and add that to the v1.2.1 update.

2. If both waterplanes are using the same material, changes you make on it will always affect all waterplanes with that material on them, so you have to create a new material and use that for your pond.

3. The line you see is the upper faces of the borders, which might be visible if you a) have no fog and/or b) are high up in the air. The borders are required to show underwater fog correctly, otherwise when you're underwater and the horizon isn't covered by the terrain mesh, you will see the horizon, because it can't receive fog. You could either write a script, that disables the borders when you're not underwater or you could disable them right away, if you don't plan to go underwater at all.
    I'll do a video tutorial on custom underwater actions, that explains, how to do such things (novice level).

Thanks again for sharing those screens Jon! Stunning! :)

Cheers!

EDIT:
    Would you mind sharing a screenshot of the material parameters of the water? Would really love to reproduce it.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  46. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Thank you! I found turning down the reflections to 0.1 or even switched off altogether works well on ocean scenes like this because you can see more of the underwater terrain. The first screenshot had reflections switched off altogether. While another scene I made in a savannah had the reflections maxed out at 100 which gave off a realistic blue-greyish tint. Really depends on the effect you want. I'll take a look at creating a new material, shouldn't be too tricky. I'll probably get round the line issue by extending the water far out and making sure the far-clipping planes are reduced, should fix it nice and simply. Cheers!

47. dogmachris

dogmachris

Hey guys I've created a tutorial video for the basic setup of AQUAS v1.2. I'll do some more tutorials on how to set up AQUAS with gaia and one about simple ways to use your custom code with it. Enjoy!

BackwoodsGaming and jonfinlay like this.
  48. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Here they are, but I really didn't change anything from the default settings. The only real thing was the reflections. The screenshots above used the Light Wrapping at 0, but below it is set to 1. I think I'll try increasing this further to get a more greenish colour. To get the underwater terrain looking good, I simply manually painted using the Paint Height function in the default terrain tools. As I painted I could see the exact effect it would have on the water in real-time, and made gradual adjustments to the height (about 1 or 2 metres below the sea level). I also highly recommend this free asset for doing this. Although I'm sure it could be done much better, as I really didn't play around with many of the settings.

water.png

49. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Here are two final screenshots after a bit of work on the island water colour and an experiment with the Mississippi wetlands.

Wetlands.jpg Aldabra.jpg

50. dogmachris

dogmachris

Those are lovely! :)
    May I ask what kind of game you're working on?