Search Unity

AQUAS Water/River Set - Water & Rivers for Mobile, VR, Web, Desktop

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dogmachris, Jan 8, 2016.

1. RAZD112

RAZD112

well i tried it and for now i dont see any problems !
    do you have guide about how to make a shore line and sea ? i saw the tiles setup vid and for some reason it didnt work for me .

2. ceebeee

ceebeee

I use SMAA with Deferred, and it looks fine. I think it's a little myopic to say people will only use TAA.

3. NanaliDev

NanaliDev

Hi, just asking to check. Is the reflection issue fixed after 5.5? We're encountering the same issue on our HTC Vive circumstance and looking for the solution. I already read your answer, but asking if there is any progress on the issue. Sorry for bothering you and thanks for the great asset :)

4. RAZD112

RAZD112

ive created a terrain using gaia .
    when i get into the water i can see them clearly without any fog.. or limitation .
    ive added underwater effects to my player's camera and checked to fog and it doesnt work ....

5. Vagrod

Vagrod

Hi! For some waterplanes underwater effects are not triggered: condition
    if (Mathf.Pow ((transform.position.x - gameObjects.waterPlanes.transform.position.x), 2) + Mathf.Pow ((transform.position.z - gameObjects.waterPlanes.transform.position.z), 2) < Mathf.Pow (gameObjects.waterPlanes.GetComponent<Renderer>().bounds.extents.x, 2))
    in AQUAS_LensEffects in method CheckIfUnderWater(int) is not satisfied for the water plane above players' head.

UPD: I used square planes logic and it worked. If I uncheck "Use squared planes", detection stops working for some water planes.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  6. RAZD112

RAZD112

ADDED everything correctly and i dont have fog and the objects in-front of me blurring as hell what to do ?

7. RAZD112

RAZD112

hey the bubbles working fine so its detecting that i touch the water but for some reason theres no fog at all

8. dogmachris

dogmachris

What Unity Version are you on and are you using forward or deferred lighting?

9. RAZD112

RAZD112

5.6.3p2
    im using unsitorm as my main lightnining

10. Migueljb

Migueljb

Can you tell me if Aquas works in unity 2017 for VR using single pass stereo rendering?

11. RAZD112

RAZD112

what do you suggest ?

12. dogmachris

dogmachris

Unistorm's Fog relies on the Z-Buffer, which AQUAS can't use, so it can't receive Unistorm's fog.
    • You can either enable AQUAS's custom fog in the material settings and adjust it to blend in smoothly with Unistorm's fog
    • You can Use Unity's fog instead of Unistorm's fog
    • You may use Enviro (Enviro's fog works with AQUAS)
    That's about the suggestions I can give you - does any of that help?

13. dogmachris

dogmachris

It won't display reflection's correctly with SPSR - current issue.

14. Vagrod

Vagrod

... or Weather Maker: AQUAS receives its fog correctly too)

dogmachris likes this.
  15. Migueljb

Migueljb

I havent tested it recently but when I was using Aquas in unity 5.6 and 5.5.0 in single pass rendering using a reflection probe for the reflection. Where the edge of the water meets the terrain the edges were hard and it lost the transparency for soft edges. That was always the problem in single pass for VR. Do you know if it still does this?

16. RAZD112

RAZD112

the 1st didnt work ...
    second thing how can i do it ? (im begginer) thanks

edit: tried to delete unistorm still no fog at all

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  17. imDanOush

imDanOush

Shodan0101 and coverpage like this.
  18. gghitman69

gghitman69

Shodan0101 likes this.
  19. dogmachris

dogmachris

Didn't know that! Thanks! :)

20. dogmachris

dogmachris

I only knew about the reflection issue in VR, not about missing transparency on the edges. Does the transparency work when not in VR?

21. RAZD112

RAZD112

maybe somebody knows how can i integrate unistorm with aquas ??? thanks

22. dogmachris

dogmachris

For the record, we had a Skype talk and the problem is, that Unistorm switches Fog mode to linear. I don't know, if it neccessarily requires it that way, but it fights with AQUAS over who gets to control the fog. We've sorted that out with Enviro and weather maker seems to also do fine with AQUAS, but Unistorm seems to still fight with AQUAS over the fog.

Does anyone happen to have a solution to this already?

23. dogmachris

dogmachris

Alright folks, it's time to announce a fairly distant yet very big update to AQUAS. AQUAS is gonna get physical waves and use a PBR shader. I've recorded a short preview video to show what it looks like at the moment.

I've recorded ocean waves at different wind speeds: 2, 5 & 30 [km/h]:

Some things to note here:
    • The Spectrum used here is the classical Phillips spectrum. I'm gonna try Pierson-Moskowitz and maybe even JONSWAP to see what the differences are, but to me it seems at the moment, that Phillips might do just fine.
    • The FFT evaluation of the Fourier amplitudes runs entirely on the CPU right now. The reason why the frame rate stays relatively high despite the high detail, is that I've moved all FFT calculations on extra threads. This won't be usable on many machines, because the amount of threads is rather high and even though it works fine, firther scripting logic would now cause a quick decline in performance.
    • The length of a single ocean patch in the video is 60 m. Beyond this length the ocean is perfectly periodical.
    • The high detail density on the surface was achieved by jagging multiple grids with different edge lengths into each other, resulting in a seemingly non-repetitive height field.
    • The shader is a generic opaque PBR-shader with a base color, a fresnel effect and specular gloss
    Even though it might look rather advanced, everything is still in very early stages. The surface is opaque and there's nothing like color absorption, reflection, refraction or let alone shore line waves. All of these will still have to be added and additional effects such as the buoyancy feature will have to be reworked to work on wavy surfaces.

The next step from here on will be to port the FFT calculation as well as the calculation of the fourier amplitudes for the FFT to the GPU using compute shaders.

At this point I can make absolutely no prediction when everything will be done, I'll do my best to have it out as soon as possible and will post news whenever there's anything new to present.

24. Hitch42

Hitch42

That looks great. I've struggled to find an ocean asset that looks good and hasn't been abandoned. It's nice to see a solid, supported asset like yours take this on.

angrypenguin likes this.
  25. RAZD112

RAZD112

yeah lol you absolutely right we had an amazing conv but i couldnt find any guide on the internet unfortunately

btw the update is looking great good job man !

dogmachris likes this.
  26. dogmachris

dogmachris

27. Shodan0101

Shodan0101

REJOICE!.gif

Peter77 and dogmachris like this.
  28. gghitman69

gghitman69

update 2.0 very good news

dogmachris likes this.
  29. PaulGK

PaulGK

Wow can't wait for update 2.0 looks excellent.

dogmachris likes this.
  30. ivabibliocad

ivabibliocad

Does anyone know why aquas underwater effect never works in VR cameras?? I use Oculus rift. Is there a way to bypass this error or limit??

31. snacktime

snacktime

Re the physical waves that are coming. While they look good, you are basically copying what some others are doing with the wave styles. Going for a more realistic look. The thing is that doesn't really fit stylized games that well, which is where aquas really shines right now IMO.

The approach you are going in, which is what most other water assets also do, sucks for gameplay with ships/boats. Something you find out if you actually make a ship based game.

I've been working on a stylized moba/mmo blend that has a heavy focus on ship combat. If you use physics buoyancy then what really works best is smoother water with rolling waves. Go look at any of the ship based games out there. Where you do find choppy waves, you will find that the boats ignore the choppy stuff, because just bobbing around really fast adds nothing of value. However larger rolling waves can add strategic value in a variety of ship based games, and just feel better.

Ceto actually had the best gameplay waves of any water asset.

My guess is for good gameplay you probably have to use two transformations on the mesh. One to define shape and then another for the noise. Most assets just uses noise which is the core problem. Leaving a situation where larger waves are always too noisy.

32. ivabibliocad

ivabibliocad

I will rephrase my question. Is there a way to make the aquas underwater effect work in VR??? I use Oculus rift, and I'm working on a beach hotel development. The client wants people to dive on the coral reef near the hotel, but there's no way to make the underwater effect work in VR, Please help!! Thanks

33. dogmachris

dogmachris

The only issue I'm aware of when using AQUAS in VR is reflection. Underwater effects should work. What do you see when you go underwater?

34. ivabibliocad

ivabibliocad

Thanks for the reply. First of all I'm using teleportation along with VRTK for Oculus rift. I don't think that has nothing to do but I mention it just in case. The reflections work perfectly.

The implementation on my behalf was to add the "UnderWaterCameraEffects" prefab as a child of the CenterEyeAnchor inside the OVRCameraRig. The moment I teleport to the shore the water is on my chest, but when I bend down and my eye level crosses the water barrier there's absolutely nothing. No change whatsoever. Besides that I've tried every possibility there is. Like putting the effects in the center and both the left and right cameras, also only in the left and right cameras without the center one, etc... But there's another strange behavior. The Camera adds somewhat of a distortion some 4/5 to top of the eye view. So in short words is all messed up in VR unless I'm doing something terribly wrong.

Thanks for the help!

35. dogmachris

dogmachris

THE REFLECTIONS DO WHAT??? Do you have a 2-camera setup or are you using single pass stereo rendering?

Do you have the issue with the underwater effect when you're completely underwater or only when your view is half afloat and half underwater? Also a screenshot might help figuring out what's going on, do you have the possibility to take one?

36. ricogs400

ricogs400

I'm assuming he's not using single pass stereo. The reflections were fine for me in VR (Vive/SteamVR) until I turned on single pass stereo.

37. dogmachris

dogmachris

I see, it makes sense then.

38. ivabibliocad

ivabibliocad

When I use Single pass everything goes to hell. On Multipass it works fine. Yes I have a second camera but is linked to a render texture because is the minimap, maybe that helps the reflections that work perfectly.
    On the other hand here are the pictures below and Under the surface of the water. No mater If I teleport directly or just bend my body it just doesn't work:
    below.jpg under.jpg

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  39. ivabibliocad

ivabibliocad

So, does anyone have at least a hint why is this happening in VR?

40. dogmachris

dogmachris

Let me check something, I'll send you a pm later.

41. ivabibliocad

ivabibliocad

ok thanks!

42. dogmachris

dogmachris

Aaaah, you said after you do a teleport it doesn't work anymore, is that right? Does it work if you don't teleport? To me it doesn't seem so much, that the underwater effects are broken, they just don't seem to trigger when they should. Look for a check box in the material inspector that says "Underwater Mode". Is it checked when you go underwater?

Do you know in which way that teleportation works? After you teleport, has you're camera's actual position changed or has the position of anything else changed?

43. ivabibliocad

ivabibliocad

When I teleport the direction is the same I was heading before the teleportation so as the head orientation and rotation. About the check box under the material inspector. I don't understand how to see that. So when I'm there in VR, I suppose I have to look at the inspector tab or what? What component or object do I have to select to see that checkbox can you send a screenshot?

44. dogmachris

dogmachris

The rotation and orientation are not relevant for the underwater effect, only the position. How does that change when you teleport?
    You'd have to select the AQUAS waterplane objet in the hierarchy. In the inspector scroll down to the very bottom where the material settings are (you might have to expand them). There should be a checkbox called "Underwater Mode". Let me know, if you can't find it, I'll make a screenshot then.

P.S.: I wanted to start a conversation with you on this - just to not bloat the forum with posts on this one issue - but that option is not available on your profile page.

45. ivabibliocad

ivabibliocad

Oh I'm sorry. I'll change those options for conversation, never knew even existed, going to search for them...

46. ivabibliocad

ivabibliocad

I found it!! Let's talk over there

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  47. Dreamer

Dreamer

When compile to PC, there is an error:

Shader error in 'AQUAS/Mobile/Bicolored': Invalid const register num: 32. Max allowed is 31. at line 124 (on d3d9)

Compiling Fragment program with DIRECTIONAL
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP

How to fix it?

48. lawsochi

lawsochi

good day, I wanted to ask a question about version 2 .... now many authors of water assets pay attention to the ocean, waves, etc. it's all important, but not for me)))
    Your asset, contains a built-in system of rivers. I love it.
    I need rivers and lakes in my project, rivers must flow and flow out of lakes and marshes.
    Do you plan on improving this part? in my opinion, a good river system is a great competitive advantage of your asset. Thank you.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  49. Dreamer

Dreamer

I think he stops looking into this thread.

50. dogmachris

dogmachris

What Unity version are you using? I know this error existed in previous AQUAS versions in Unity 5.5 and above. Those issues were fixed in AQUAS 1.4 - at least they should've been - which version of AQUAS are you on?