Search Unity

AQUAS Water/River Set - Water & Rivers for Mobile, VR, Web, Desktop

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dogmachris, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Hello I bought your aquas and now from tiem to time after closing play mode (in play mode everything is ok withour exceptions) I have this:
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    AQUAS.AQUAS_RemoveDefine.OnWillDeleteAsset (System.String assetPath, RemoveAssetOptions rao) (at assets/Editor/AQUAS_RemoveDefine.cs:17)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.AssetModificationProcessorInternal.OnWillDeleteAsset (System.String assetPath, RemoveAssetOptions options) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/AssetModificationProcessor.cs:226)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

I'm using unity 5.6

Could you please tell me what could invoke this exception ?

Also one more question, I'm using aquas and enviro, I see that this systems are compatible, but I have problem with advance fog from enviro and underwater effect. I mean underwater effects look good until I will turn on advance fog the unerwater effects is mess I mean fog is everywhere underwater etc.
    Regards

2. goran_okomotive

goran_okomotive

Dear Chris

I just bought and tried Aquas and it's fantastic. Thanks for the good work!

I just have a little issue with the TAA from Unity's post processing stack (v1) in combination with AQUAS shaders. If the water mesh interacts with a terrain at some points the water borders jitters. It happens with all of your shaders. Of course I can reduce the jitter spread in the anti-aliasing settings, but everything else stays still except the water borders and I need a high jitter spread amount to keep the TAA working well.

Here is a little gif that demonstrates the behavior:
    http://goga.ch/tmp/aquasJitterTAA.gif

Any idea how to solve this problem?

Cheers
    Goran

3. mayunga

mayunga

Is it possible to follow a certain path on water using buoyancy? cause I have tried but the object shape is distorting. Please help

4. mayunga

mayunga

Can an object follow a path with buoyancy applied???

5. Mighto360

Mighto360

We need a volume mask. Do you have any idea when that will happen?

6. Rowlan

Rowlan

Is there a tutorial for that?

Or better yet: None of the assets I use have this requirement. Will there be a proper implementation which doesn't require a 2-camera-setup?

7. Vagrod

Vagrod

Hi! Strange thing I noticed. I checked this twice, but it seems like WaterBasicPlane I use "eats" 2-3M tris. If I turn off water plane in run time, I have tris count 2M, when I turn water plane back, I instantly get 4+. Is this really that expensive or something else is going on? And is there any way to make water from, say, quad? I tried, but I got really strange... liquid substance)

8. Vagrod

Vagrod

And one more question. I have giant terrain, so I am streaming it square by square from a hard drive, so my game scene at Start() is totally empty -- until first parts of a terrain are loaded into the scene. In Start() method of an underwater effects script that is linked to player camera, we have waterPlanes collection, and code assumes that this collection contains at least one water plane, so we get IndexOutOfRange exceptions. I fixed this, now I am adding and removing waterplanes in real time at the moment of loading and unloading terrain parts, and everything seems to work great, even underwater lens, sound, bubbles and reflections -- except of caustics. These projectors are going crazy, they flickering and projecting images outside visible water. How to fix that in my case? Should I somehow initialize newly added waterplane somewhere else in addition to just adding them to waterPlanes collection?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  9. Mighto360

Mighto360

I have a problem:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6GyGBe5RcAvWHNZeDAwLV9pNTQ
    Notice how in the beginning of the video, when the camera was low down, most of the water had deep color, but a higher up camera resulted in more shallow water color. From my player's point of view, all my water's black! Please help!

10. Rowlan

Rowlan

Is this asset even supported anymore? I just noticed the last reply from the dev was almost 1 month ago.

11. Mighto360

Mighto360

But the developer was last seen today, according to his profile.

12. Rowlan

Rowlan

Well, not here apparently.

13. Mighto360

Mighto360

Um... @dogmachris please start supporting your asset. I've got more than one question, and we all need support.

14. Mighto360

Mighto360

Maybe because I put his name in there it will notify him.

15. dogmachris

dogmachris

AQUAS is flat and doesn't have physical waves, although finally they're under development. I hope to be able to showcase some of it in a couple of weeks.

16. dogmachris

dogmachris

@helgarddebarros this error comes from AQUAS trying to remove a define from the player settings. It's actually supposed to only trigger when AQUAS is deleted, but for some reason it also fires when something else is deleted in some cases. I don't yet know why that is, but I can assure you, it's completely harmless - tedious at worst.

BackwoodsGaming and hopeful like this.
  17. dogmachris

dogmachris

The post processing stack is only required for the underwater effects. Other than that, it's not. You can of course create your own underwater behaviour, but that excludes AQUAS's solution and you should not add AQUAS's underwater effects, if you don't want to use the post processing stack. In the past AQUAS used the legacy image effects for that, now it uses the PP stack in order to stay up to date with the newer Unity versions. Custom image effects might be used in the future, but at this point, I don't have more info on that, so for the time being, the only option is to either use the underwater effects as provided or customize it or use your own solution.

18. dogmachris

dogmachris

@Ayfel

At this point I can't say when this is going to be, since it has been something almost every water asset has been struggling with, but more and more info on how to solve this issue have some up in the recent past, so I'll definitely be working on this. Sorry for the inconvenience.

ricogs400 and Tethys like this.
  19. dogmachris

dogmachris

Do you still have this issue? AQUAS 1.4.2 is using the most recent version of the PP stack.

20. cowtrix

cowtrix

Hey @dogmachris - just wondering why AQUAS currently uses object UVs for anything other than flow. It seems very counter intuitive and means it's a real pain to use multiple meshes with the same material. I've tried looking at and editing the shader, but it looks almost obfuscated? If it is, is there any way I could get an unobfuscated version?

21. dogmachris

dogmachris

Well you'd only have to write a script, that adds them to that array automatically. Shouldn't be much of a problem, since the array is public.

22. dogmachris

dogmachris

It will. I'll showcase fairly soon.

23. dogmachris

dogmachris

Hm... I've seen this behaviour with certain visual effects in the past, when the near clipping plane was exceptionally close. Do you have it at 0.3? If it's closer, what happens, if you increase it slightly?

24. dogmachris

dogmachris

It should be possible - that's how the boats in the demo scene move - sent you an email on this.

25. dogmachris

dogmachris

The high amount of triangles is probably related to the reflections on the water surface, which pretty much renders reflected surroundings onto the plane. Turn the reflections script off for testing purposes - if that lowers your tri count, you might consider removing certain object layers from reflections to increase performance.

26. dogmachris

dogmachris

Maybe this is caused by the sheer amount of projectors, that you would then have. What about using only the 2 that are used by default and only moving them based on where the player camera is? I can imagine this could work, since caustics are usually only required rather close to the player and don't need to be visible from afar.

27. dogmachris

dogmachris

It is, but I was on travel and didn't have much opportunity to answer support requests - Sorry for the inconvenience. Contact me via PM, if you're unsatisfied with AQUAS, then we can work something out, I wouldn't want you to be unhappy with our purchase as a customer.

Rowlan likes this.
  28. dogmachris

dogmachris

Sorry for the late reply.
    I've seen the video and to me everything seems the way it should be. Color absorption works like this:
    If you look through the water surface, the farther one point below the surface is away from the surface itself the more color will be absorbed from it. So when you look at a point in shallow water from high above, and imagine a ray from your camera going to that point, it will reach it, right after it went through the water surface and thus be visible. If you draw that same ray from somewhere on the shore, the distance between the water surface and the point will be naturally higher, and it might be nearly black.
    It's a natural ocurrence, just as when you look into the sea from the beach, it turns black relatively close to the beach, but when you look at it from a plane, you can see the bottom of the ocean even miles away from the beach, because you're looking at it from up above, where most of the ground is only 10-30 feet below the surface.

Does that sound somewhat understandable or did I misunderstand your issue?

29. SSL7

SSL7

@dogmachris thank you for your reply, but since I m not that good at writing scripts, thats why i buy assets, could you please make a simple script for the Aquas to work with instatiating player, which is like 80% of the time in newer games.

thank you for your understanding

30. dogmachris

dogmachris

AQUAS needs object UVs because for the surface effects it relies on panning and mapping normal maps in a certain way to create its characteristic look. I wouldn't know how to do it without object specific UVs.
    Maybe if you tell me what exactly you're trying to achieve, I might be able to help.

31. dogmachris

dogmachris

I'll see what I can do later today and let you know.

SSL7 likes this.
  32. cowtrix

cowtrix

It is currently difficult to construct a water surface out of multiple meshes, as so much of the tiling is based on the context of the object (uvs and scale) rather than their placement in the world. I managed to edit the shader to just use the world coordinates instead and it works well. Now just trying to figure out how to change the direction that the waves travel (in triple texture 2 sided).

33. dogmachris

dogmachris

Negative speed values will of course have waves travelling in the opposite direction, but since I'm only panning the textures along one axis, the only way to actually change the direction of travel, rather than just switching it, would be to rotate the UVs - I didn't realise, this might be neccessary, since most of the times the round waterplane would be used rather than a rectangular one and even then for most people the travel direction would be fine, since AQUAS doesn't actually have physical waves.

34. Mighto360

Mighto360

Never mind, the actual reason the water was black was a reflection probe problem that was unrelated. Now it's all fixed.

dogmachris and hopeful like this.
  35. goran_okomotive

goran_okomotive

Thanks for your fast answer! I tried it now with several near clipping plane values and it stays the same. It only happens with TAA. FXAA and SMAA work without any jitters. I guess it must be somehow connected to the motion vectors which are necessary for TAA to work?

36. Tethys

Tethys

Were in the same boat. Love this asset but need it to work in Single Pass for VR. We don't use reflections, but just the base water is broken in VR single pass.

ricogs400 and Rowlan like this.
  37. dogmachris

dogmachris

It could be. To be perfectly honest, I haven't played around all too much with AA, so I'm not sure of how much use I can be in this case. TAA is new to me and I know there's been some issues with it in the past in combination with fast motion, but I don't know if it's effected by animated materials. Have you seen a similar behaviour with other animated matrials?

38. dogmachris

dogmachris

@dlevel I didn't yet get around to write a script for you - will try to do it today - sorry for the delay.

39. SSL7

SSL7

@dogmachris thank you for remembering it man! appreciate it

40. angel_m

angel_m

I was interested in this asset and I have tried the standalone demos. The water is very beautiful and the graphic effects are very good.(underwater specially). The problem I see is performance because in a modern PC, with a medium graphics card, the sensation is not smooth and with the Aqua demos the performance-smoothness feeling is much worse than with the Unity Water Pro in a similar scene.
    Is that normal?

41. Tethys

Tethys

I'm getting 180+ Fps on a gigantic procedural terrain with rivers and lakes using Aquas. This is of course with reflections turned off. For hardware, I have a medium strength rig (i5 6500, 8 gigs of Ram, SSD and Windows 10) but a higher end graphics card, an Nvidia 1070. This is in editor, I suspect build will be even higher. Not sure if that offers perspective but wanted to at least give an idea from our hardware standpoint. I wouldn't consider our dev rig a power rig and it runs Aquas fine but your mileage may vary. :)

dogmachris likes this.
  42. Ivalobon

Ivalobon

I've been trying to get AQUAS import to get errors about StandardAssets/Effects. I replace it with PostProcessingStack then I get errors from AQUAS not able to find effects. What is the best way to resolve this?

Edit: Found a post a few pages back where the issue was importing from a different version. Same for me, downloaded and imported again and all errors went away.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    dogmachris likes this.
  43. ricogs400

ricogs400

I would also like to know when there is a fix for this. Using the full version and I just turned on single pass and found the issue which lead me here. Great looking water though.

Also, I get this error when running
    Cannot set field of view on this camera while VR is enabled.
    UnityEngine.Camera:set_fieldOfView(Single)
    AQUAS_Reflection:UpdateCameraModes(Camera, Camera) (at Assets/AQUAS/Scripts/AQUAS_Reflection.cs:175)
    AQUAS_Reflection:OnWillRenderObject() (at Assets/AQUAS/Scripts/AQUAS_Reflection.cs:63)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Thanks dogma for your work on this.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  44. JazZRocK

JazZRocK

Thanks you :)

45. RAZD112

RAZD112

Does it work with unistorm ? Ultimate Survival ?

46. SSL7

SSL7

Just a kind reminder, trying to put a demo together of my game and this is one of the most important missing parts :)

47. dogmachris

dogmachris

@angel_m as Tethys pointed out, the water itself barely has any impact, however reflections and caustics can have, but that totally depends on the scene it's being used in. The demo scenes in the standalone demo are not quite, but somewhat demanding, so there's quite a bit to reflect. Are you btw referring to the demo scenes in the package or to the standalone demo scenes? May I ask what fps rate you're getting?

48. dogmachris

dogmachris

There's been a couple of issues with Unistorm in the past - as far as I remember - but I haven't heard about issues with Unistorm for a long while now, so I guess it should work - money back if it doesn't. ;)

As for Ultimate survival - to be honest Ultimate survival is so marginally related to AQUAS, that I don't really see, the issues it could cause to use these together. One is mostly an FPS controller with some environmental aspects, the other one is a water system. Some issues might pop up, if they both try to access the same parameters (fog for instance) at the same time, but as said: I can't see where this would happen, although I wouldn't be too quick to space out all possible conflicts.

49. angel_m

angel_m

I refer the standalone demos from the Asset Store page. About the fps I can't say but the feeling playing the demos is not smooth, I expected they run more fluidly. Maybe it is because the reflections and other complex effects.

50. goran_okomotive

goran_okomotive

I see. No we have no issues with other animated materials, but we mostly only interpolate / fade color values of materials to be honest. I also know that TAA is new, but every other anti-aliasing solution with deferred shading looks terrible in Unity. So I guess this will be the future for most games with advance light settings as long as there won't be an option to use MSAA with deferred shading.