Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

AQUAS Water/River Set - Water & Rivers for Mobile, VR, Web, Desktop

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dogmachris, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Gunsrequiem

Gunsrequiem

I'm still hoping someone can provide an answer as to the blue tinted shadow issue noted above. Turning off HDR does not solve the problem--my shadows are still blue instead of the standard black and look as though I'm underwater even though I've adjusted every setting I can think of. Even deleting the Underwater Effects and AQUAS game objects does not fix it. Is it possible something gets adjusted in the project settings when Underwater Effects are enabled?

2. brute-

brute-

Hi
    I'm having issues with Aquas' shader scaling differently between the editor and build. My game has a huge amount of lakes. Each are a Unity plane mesh and scaled anywhere between (10, 10, 10) and (75, 10, 75). I tweaked the shader's scale settings (large/med/small waves, edge foam, etc) based on the (10,10,10) scale. In the editor all the lakes have the correct scaling. But as you can see from the attached screenshots, the tiling/scale values are incorrect in the build. (The waves appear too large on the larger lakes)

I really would like to avoid custom scaling each lake by hand. All the water needs to look exactly the same so it's prone to error. Is there a work around or update that will fix this?

Thank you
    Frameshift - Aquas - BUILD.jpg Frameshift - Aquas - EDITOR.jpg
    PS> Otherwise everything is working, Aquas is the best water asset I've found in terms of performance & visuals!

IsDon likes this.
  3. dogmachris

dogmachris

It seems like the maximum resolution for the normal maps is lower in the build. What quality settings are you using? Is it by any chance one that reduces texture resolutions?

4. brute-

brute-

Wow that was it. Somehow the quality settings got messed up in our project. Thanks so much!

IsDon and dogmachris like this.
  5. dansav

dansav

I just bought aquas 1.4.1 with unity 5.6.1 and the lake demo does not work. I get console errors. I'm on a mac retina 2013

Lake Scene: Lake is purple like it's missing a texture.
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    AQUAS_RenderQueueEditor.Update () (at Assets/AQUAS/Scripts/AQUAS_RenderQueueEditor.cs:11)

Also the river demo looks very blurry like only the shore of the river is clear not the water. Is this an error also?

6. dogmachris

dogmachris

That indeed looks like there's no material on the waterplane - there should be. Could you check the folder ..\Assets\AQUAS\Materials\Water\Desktop&Web and see if there's materials in there?
    Also have you moves AQUAS from the Assets folder to some sub folder?

7. dansav

dansav

I see 4 materials in that folder.
    When I press play the water turns white opaque and the error is
    Material doesn't have a float or range property '_Specular'
    UnityEngine.Material:GetFloat(String)
    AQUAS_LensEffects:Start() (at Assets/AQUAS/Scripts/AQUAS_LensEffects.cs:154)

Locations of Assets:
    I just imported the Aquas package from the asset store in a new unity project.
    I didn't move anything around.

I can try again in a new empty project if you think that would help.

Update: Started with new download -->import of Aquas to a new unity project.
    Same problems.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  8. Gunsrequiem

Gunsrequiem

@rickblacker

I also ran into this issue, and Chris was able to take a look and provide a solution in only a few minutes. He clearly knows his product very well, and he was kind enough to take time out of his day to show me what is going on.

Since AQUAS no longer utilizes the Legacy method of rendering the underwater effects, it instead uses Post Processing on the active camera itself. Instead of using only one Post Processing effect when you're underwater, AQUAS applies a "DefaultPostProcessing" effect, which then switches to "AQUAS_Underwater" when you actually go underwater in your game world. Normally, this works flawlessly, but depending on what you have in your scene, some conflicts can arise due to added camera components from other assets/scripts.

In my case, I was able to clear it up by rebuilding the terrain and starting fresh (as I hadn't gotten very far with it in the current scene I was working on); however, this may not work for you depending on how far you are into your own project(s).

Therefore, the simplest solution is to disable the Post Processing Behaviour script component on your active camera(s) when you are above your water level, then re-enable it when you go underwater. I'm currently working on a script to do just that, and you should have no trouble either as long as you locate the "underWater" bool within the "AQUAS_LensEffects" script and reference it when disabling/enabling your Post Processing Behavior script component.

Hope this helps you out! AQUAS is a wonderful asset, and the support that Chris provides to back it is phenomenal. If you haven't checked out this asset yet, now's the time!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    dogmachris likes this.
  9. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

I have errors when I go underwater. I sent an email but no response.
    FIRST ONE

Shader error in 'Hidden/Post FX/Fog': failed to open source file: 'Common.cginc' at line 13 (on d3d9)

Compiling Vertex program with FOG_EXP2
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA

NEXT ONE

Shader error in 'Hidden/Post FX/Bloom': failed to open source file: 'Bloom.cginc' at line 38 (on d3d9)

Compiling Vertex program with ANTI_FLICKER
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA

NEXT ONE

Shader error in 'Hidden/Post FX/Uber Shader': failed to open source file: 'Bloom.cginc' at line 33 (on d3d9)

Compiling Vertex program with UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA CHROMATIC_ABERRATION DEPTH_OF_FIELD BLOOM GRAIN VIGNETTE_CLASSIC

10. gecko

gecko

I'm setting up Aquas on a long river -- it's over 7km long in the scene. I've adjusted the tiling etc but wondering if you have any tips:

1) How to adjust the shader settings to eliminate the noticeable perlin shapes.

2) How to improve performance: Aquas uses 4-8ms when I activate the river mesh. I've got Aquas_Reflection set to only the terrain layer, and when I set culling to Nothing, I get a bit of a boost, but Aquas is still using 2-5ms. (This is on a MacBookPro with a GT 750M gpu.) From earlier testing, dividing the river mesh into smaller meshes isn't a good solution since each one will have it's own cost.

Any suggestions?

thanks!
    Dave

aquas river.jpg aquas settings.png

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  11. malkere

malkere

There are different shaders in the package that are less complex, like only small and medium waves you could try. Or turning some things to zero like foam, shore fade, or refraction might improve performance?

dogmachris likes this.
  12. JDrem1

JDrem1

Quick question on the she sale is at 32 Euros from 37.

If Aquas LITE is already owned, does the upgrade then have the discount applied.
    Or is the discount 32 no mater if LITE is owned or not?

Just wondered because the upgrade would be 32 anyway.

Appreciate any feedback. :)

13. gecko

gecko

The cost of Reflection (even on the terrain layer only) is quite a lot in at least one project, so I'm trying to get Aquas to look good without it. It looks pretty nice in editor mode, but when I click Play, all the ripples / distortion disappear, which makes the water look much much worse. Any idea why, or how to fix?

water ripples.jpg

malkere likes this.
  14. dogmachris

dogmachris

Hi there, sorry for the late reply. Are you working on DirectX9?

15. dogmachris

dogmachris

What perlin shapes do you mean?
    If AQUAS reflects the terrain only and the performance impact is still high, you might check 2 other things:
    1. Is the terrain full of trees?
    If so, you might remove the trees from reflections

2. Do Do you use caustics?
    Caustics call a draw for every object they're being cast on. Here too you might exclude individual object layers.

Does that help?

malkere likes this.
  16. dogmachris

dogmachris

I don't know what you get to see in the store on your end, I only know that the regular price should be 35$ and the upgrade price should be 30$. AQUAS wasn't on any sale I would know of.

17. dogmachris

dogmachris

Refraction seems to fail in your screenshot. May I ask what platform you're developing for?

18. gecko

gecko

Thanks for the help:

1) Perlin shapes: I mean the distortion at bottom-right area of my screenshot above. But with more tweaking, those look much better.

2) I'll try excluding trees.

3) Reflection seems to fail: I'm on Mac 10.12.5, using Unity 5.6.2.

19. dogmachris

dogmachris

1. I'd guess that it's from the reflection probe
    3. Which graphics API are you using? Metal or OpenGL

Shodan0101 likes this.
  20. gecko

gecko

OpenGL I guess (Metal Editor Support (Experimental) is not toggled on.

21. Shodan0101

Shodan0101

Hi dogmachris,

Any ETA on the v1.4.1 features - "water presets" and "splashes"?

22. Cleverlie

Cleverlie

HI, I'm having problems with aquas, almost all of my particle effects are not being rendered where Aquas water is rendered, seems to be a problem related with Z-fighting or render queues, it doesn't happen always, it happens from some camera angles and distances, here some examples:

111.jpg 222.jpg

here is a case where some missiles worked and other don't, seems to be a weird Z fighting problem because the effects pop in and out randomly depending on certain camera angles and distances as mentioned before.

333.jpg

any helpful ideas??

note: particle shaders are standard Particle additive and alpha blended from unity, so I'm not using custom weird setups.

23. JDrem1

JDrem1

@dogmachris

Hey Thanks for the answer.

That is very strange, because doing a search for AQUAS, still showing AQUAS with an orange border round it and a big SALE side header.
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/search/page=1/sortby=relevance/query=aquas

I initially thought it was because own LITE. But why would it say sale? Anyway that was why I asked because its showing the sale price at the same price as the upgrade. :)

Quick question. I know it says "flat" ATM on the store page,

However, is there any plan to add larger waves, I saw a post above about splashes, and just wondered if waves were on the horizon?

Thanks for any help. :)

24. protopop

protopop

By the way it worked great.

I cached the skybox and my garbage went from 600b to 40b. (there's just a little left in something called getsharedmaterials)

Thank you:)

dogmachris likes this.
  25. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

I am considering buying aquas so I checked the lite version first on the web demo but in the web demo the water moves with the camera. This is clearly a bug, have other people had this, here are some screens.

I actually tested this 6 months ago and had the same bug but thought it was just a bad upload but it looks like no one else reported this issue because it would have been fixed by now.

Notice the rock hump sticking out and as I pan away from it the shoreline does not change and goes right through the terrain with the cameras movements.

Attached Files:

26. vertigostudios

vertigostudios

Hi Dogmachris, I recently purchases Aquas Pro and would like to know the settings you used in the following video :
    - please see at 0:34

MarkusGod likes this.
  27. Fatalis

Fatalis

I've PM'd Dogmachris, but I'll post this here too in hopes of getting a response.

I'm on a project with an impending deadline using Aquas (which we are liking how good it looks and how cheaply it runs). We are also using Tenkoku in our project, which uses a reflection probe. When this reflection probe is on, Aquas turns completely white. If we turn the probe off, we miss out on the ambient lighting but Aquas returns to normal. Is there a way to have the probe on and Aquas work properly?

28. pccross

pccross

Hi, I'm having similar errors when trying to build my project. I'm targeting Android (Daydream specifically), so it seems to default to 'DX11 on DX9 GPU'. I tried turning Graphics Emulation 'Off', but still seeing the same build errors (below).
    I'm using a Gaia developed environment, and the Gaia menu for adding Aquas.

"Shader error in 'Hidden/Post FX/Fog': undeclared identifier 'sampler_CameraDepthTexture' at line 63 (on gles3)"

and

"Shader error in 'Hidden/Post FX/Screen Space Reflection': undeclared identifier 'sampler_CameraDepthTexture' at line 129 (on gles3)"

plus a few similar Shader errors with the same 'sample _CameraDepthTexture' verbage.

29. pccross

pccross

Never mind, looks like it was a problem with rendering in 'single pass' versus multi-pass stereo mode in the 'Player settings'. Guess there's still a bug in Unity that causes Android VR problems when 'single pass' enabled.

30. castor76

castor76

Hi.

With multi lighting feature, I have a question.

Is this the same performance hit as rendering multiple light sources in forward mode? Meaning it will draw X times the light source the water is affected with. So with 10 lights, it draws 10x the water. ?

Also does it receive any shadow at all?

31. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Hi Dogma,

I'm having a strange issue with Unity Collab and the primary/secondaryCaustic materials. They seem to want updating every time I try to update collab causing 500mb+ extra upload each time. Any idea why this is the case?

32. Barry100

Barry100

@dogmachris The script attached to the water plane is having a 50FPS detrimental effect on my game. Can you please tell me why this is? I followed your tutorial for adding the water to my game to the letter. Also when I go underwater with my chracter I do not get any underwater effect?

33. dogmachris

dogmachris

Which script do you mean? Reflection?

34. dogmachris

dogmachris

AQUAS unfortunately can't receive shadows, because it can't use the z-buffer.

Multiple lights in forward rendering do indeed cause a rendering loop which in turn causes performance overhead, but it always depends on how many lights you have and on how your scene is set up. In the video, it's I think 20 Point lights and with everything reflected in the scene, it wasn't much of a problem. However if you have tons of objects reflected on the water, 20 lights might already be too much. In General everything below 10 point lights at the same time, shouldn't cause a big impact (that is, if there isn't one already).

35. dogmachris

dogmachris

I'm haven't worked with collab yet, so I'm not sure, of how much use I can be here, but the caustic textures are nowhere near this size. The entire package is less than one third of 500 Mb, so I'm not exactly sure, where that comes from.

Basically the caustics are only 2 projectors with a material on them and a script that updates the caustic texture on that material. Those textures are stored in 2 Arrays, each texture some Kb in size, that's all. Can you tell what those 500 Mb are?

AndyNeoman likes this.
  36. dogmachris

dogmachris

Oh weird. :S
    I don't see this bug on my side - anyone else see it? It's a WebGL build, not sure if that's related somehow, but I'm not sure, how to reproduce it.

37. dogmachris

dogmachris

AQUAS sets up a reflection probe itself, if set up before Tenkoku. Do you have 2 reflection probes in the scene by any chance?

38. dogmachris

dogmachris

There's a script for the render queue attached to the waterplane. use it to reduce the render queue to 2900 or 2800 and see if that helps. Setting it to -1 will restore the default value specified in the shader (3000).

39. dogmachris

dogmachris

On it, but currently swamped - will do my best to have it out in August. :S

Shodan0101 likes this.
  40. Cleverlie

Cleverlie

Hi, I managed to solve the problem by moving the number on that script to around 2600, thanks!

41. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

No it's really strange. They just appear in the update list everytime I go to collab tab. Not to worry, it's not a major inconvenience it is just really strange.

42. xxhaissamxx

xxhaissamxx

i have
    xiaomi mi max
    CPU : Qualcomm MSM8956 Snapdragon 650 (Hexa-core (4x1.4 GHz Cortex-A53 & 2x1.8 GHz Cortex-A72)
    GPU : Adreno 510

Frame rate : without zoom out or change anything in view
    Bi-Colored Foamy : 30ms - 33FPS
    Pseudo Opaque : 30ms - 34FPS
    Opaque : 24ms - 42FPS

Please notice that's without trees and grass on terrain
    can u please make tutorial on how to optimize for mobile ?
    thanks

43. gghitman69

gghitman69

update aquas with prefabs please

44. Oginecka

Oginecka

Hello,
    Many thanks for the Aquas plugin. It produces stellar water.

The water looks amazing in the Editor, but for some reason produces strange black "waves" in the standalone build.
    Do you have any suggestions as to what may be causing this?

45. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

I'm having major problems upgrading to Unity 2017.1.0f3. The project originally used Unity 5.6.2, and had AQUAS 1.4.1 installed. I'd removed all of the legacy image effects, and replaced them with post-processing stack profiles, which were working fine both above and below the water. When I imported the project into Unity 2017, the script updater complained about missing references to legacy effects in some of the AQUAS scripts. I re-imported AQUAS, thinking that would clear it up, but then I got errors from AQUAS_LensEffects.cs related to "postProcessing". The AQUAS Version text also now identified it as version 1.3.1. After several re-installs failed to change that, I tried downgrading to AQUAS 1.4, which finally showed the correct version, but still indicated the same errors. I finally copied over my entire AQUAS 1.4.1 folder from another project. It now indicates the correct AQUAS version, but the AQUAS_LensEffects.cs script errors persist:

Assets/AQUAS/Scripts/AQUAS_LensEffects.cs(111,9): error CS0103: The name `postProcessing' does not exist in the current context
    Assets/AQUAS/Scripts/AQUAS_LensEffects.cs(161,9): error CS0103: The name `postProcessing' does not exist in the current context
    Assets/AQUAS/Scripts/AQUAS_LensEffects.cs(260,13): error CS0103: The name `postProcessing' does not exist in the current context
    Assets/AQUAS/Scripts/AQUAS_LensEffects.cs(379,13): error CS0103: The name `postProcessing' does not exist in the current context​

Has anyone gotten AQUAS to run on Unity 2017? Any ideas what to do about these errors? Has Unity changed something to make the way this variable was declared no longer work?

Also, what's up with the AQUAS 1.4.1 installer? Why did it seemingly downgrade a working 1.4.1 setup to 1.3.1, and then start complaining I was missing all of the legacy image effects? If this version is supposed to fall back to 1.3.1 on older versions of Unity, does it not see that 2017 is newer than 5.6.2, uses the new post-processing stack, and needs 1.4.1? :confused:

Edit: I solved the problem temporarily by commenting out all of the "#if UNITY_5_2 || UNITY_5_3 || UNITY_5_4 || UNITY_5_5" sections, and the "#if UNITY_5_6 || UNITY_5_7" condition around the "PostProcessingBehaviour postProcessing;" declaration in the AQUAS_LensEffects.cs script, and deleting AQUAS_QuickSetup.cs and RiverSetup.cs from the Editor folder, but clearly a better solution is needed. Continuing to tack new Unity versions on to the "#if UNITY_5_6 || UNITY_5_7" condition seems pretty pointless, if it means the script will break every time Unity gets updated. "PostProcessingBehaviour postProcessing;" should be declared by default whenever the "#if UNITY_5_2 || UNITY_5_3 || UNITY_5_4 || UNITY_5_5" condition is false, without needing its own specific condition to be met as well. o_O

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  46. dogmachris

dogmachris

• Keep reflections to a minimum
      • Whatever doesn't need to be reflected, move it to a separate layer and exclude that layer from being reflected by the reflection script.
    • Avoid using caustics on mobile
      • Every object that receives caustics causes an additional draw call every frame
      • If you absolutely need caustics, at least put all objects that don't need to receive them on a separate layer and exclude them in the projector settings
    • Reduce the maximum texture resolution in the quality settings as far as you can, without the water looking unnatural.
    • Avoid using image effects if you can, they're expensive

xxhaissamxx likes this.
  47. dogmachris

dogmachris

Disable the reflection probe and see if that helps - if it does, see if the reflection probe is set to HDR colors - if so, chack if the camera is set to hdr colors too. They both need to have the same setting in that regard.

Does that help?

48. dogmachris

dogmachris

Crud it shouldn't behave like that. When you download AQUAS with Unity <5.6, it should download the version with the legacy image effects, while for Unity >=5.6 it should automatically download the version that uses the post processing stack. Unfortunately I won't be able to check this week, but I'll make sure to get it sorted as quickly as I can and get in touch with the AS staff if neccessary.

Sorry for the inconvenience. :S

FargleBargle likes this.
  49. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

Ahh. I think I know what caused that then. I use a different machine than my production workstation to manage Asset Store downloads. It was running Unity 5.5 when it downloaded what I thought was AQUAS 1.4.1 originally, and I distributed that cached copy to my workstation. I deleted it and downloaded again with a newer version of Unity. The original cached copy was 140805kb, while the new one is 169840kb. I should have caught that myself. :rolleyes:

I deleted and reinstalled this new copy of AQUAS, and it gave me version 1.4.1 without all the original drama.I also noticed that the original "#if UNITY_5_6 || UNITY_5_7" condition for declaring the postProcessing variable in the AQUAS_LensEffects.cs script has now been replaced with #if UNITY_5_6_OR_NEWER, so it shouldn't be an issue going forward. It looks like this wasn't really your problem, but thanks for the hint. It was all I needed to figure it out. :)

50. Oginecka

Oginecka

Thanks a lot for getting back to me. It definitely was a reflection probe issue. I did not realise Aquas prefab has its own reflection probe. It was hidden under my terrain and picking up blackness from that.