Search Unity

AQUAS Water/River Set - Water & Rivers for Mobile, VR, Web, Desktop

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dogmachris, Jan 8, 2016.

1. lightmapper

lightmapper

Hey @dogmachris, how did development go this week? will we see an update soon? I've been having issues with the river shader on windows and 5.6. Thanks!

2. dogmachris

dogmachris

I'll be able to release tomorrow - that's some days behind schedule, but review shouldn't take all that long, it might be out this week still.

Since it seems, that it's not possible to guarantee full compatibility of AQUAS for all Unity versions from 5.2.1 to 5.6, AQUAS will come as v1.4 for Unity 5.6. The package will then contain AQUAS 1.3.1 as a .unitypackage-file for all earlier Unity versions. I tried to keep everything in one package, but it would then have to contain the new post processing stack, which would pop lots of errors in all Unity versions <5.6 right away.

AndyNeoman and trilobyteme like this.
  3. dogmachris

dogmachris

You can use the flow value with a negative sign, that changes the direction of the flow perfectly.

4. dogmachris

dogmachris

I'd only use multiple meshes, if you plan on disabling the ones that are outside the far clipping plane. The problem isn't the multiple planes, but the multiple reflections. I'd probably use a single plane, which should be perfectly sufficient for a 7x7 km terrain. The size of a single plane only starts to have bad effects, when it's like 100x100 km or larger.

5. dogmachris

dogmachris

You can use Photoshop, if you know how to use it to use colors based on the direction you're drawing lines. For Gimp there's also a plugin that enables you to do that (at least I think there is). However, they'll probably both be a lot more work than flowmap painter - it's as quick and easy as it gets for this job.

6. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

@dogmachris We were looking to recreate a Sims-like diorama with water like this:

In our initial attempts, we were able to get a plane with a water shader for our top-surface, but our issue is that we cannot make the water appear on the sides of the cube because it is a plane and not a cube.

Thus, we were looking at your package and were wondering if it's able to do what the video does?

Also, we were trying to target Windows 10 UWP (HoloLens), but your package says it does not support Windows Phone. Does it support Windows 10 UWP? Thank you.

7. gwynblade

gwynblade

Hello! Before I purchase, I was hoping you cold answer a few questions for me about the AQUAS water system.

1. In your Unity Forums post, you mention that it works with VR. Has this been tested on any specific headsets / with particular SDKs? If so, which?

2. Is the asset still being supported / will it work with Unity 5.5? I see that the most recent build was submitted with 5.2, and I'm just curious if it's been tested on newer versions.

8. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Hi @Ben-BearFish, there is an example of this kind of things within the Amplify Shader Editor. Can't judge if this will suite your needs exactly but it's definitely a starting point.

9. dogmachris

dogmachris

This looks more like a body of water rather than a plane. It should be possible to make something similar with AQUAS, however not right off the bat, it would probably require some workaround, to make it work like a "water cube".

10. dogmachris

dogmachris

AQUAS has been tested with Oculus Rift, Vive and various VR devices for smart phones (particularly Android) - can't say which ones exactly though, due to the vast range of different devices.

AQUAS was meant to work with Unity versions as low as possible. The yet current version works with Unity 5.2.1 - 5.5. However AQUAS 1.4 is submitted and might be online before this weekend. AQUAS 1.4 has been optimized for Unity 5.6 and requires it as minimum Unity version. AQUAS 1.4 however will contain AQUAS 1.3.1 as unitypackage-file to use with previous Unity versions - that is if it gets accepted by the AS staff this way.

11. dogmachris

dogmachris

UPDATE SUBMITTED!

Hey everyone!

I'm glad to announce, that I submitted AQUAS 1.4. WIth a bit of luck it might be available for download before this weekend. Here's some remarks on the changes:

• The legacy image effects were removed in favor of the new post processing stack. This will further serve for the underwater effects and fix the issues so many of you had with the image effects not longer working properly in Unity 5.6.
    • Unfortunately it wasn't possible to make AQUAS universally compatible across all Unity versions with the post processing stack. Originally it was planned for AQUAS to automatically decide whether to use the post processing stack or the image effects based on the Unity version used. However I realized, earlier Unity versions would throw errors at the user right on start, if the post processing stack is imported, which made an automated process difficult. Thus AQUAS 1.4 will require Unity 5.6 as minimum Unity version, BUT
    • Take heart: AQUAS 1.4 contains AQUAS 1.3.1 as a unitypackage-file. When you import v1.4, v1.3.1 will be in the AQUAS folder. Use it in projects made with previous Unity versions (min version: 5.2.1).
    • With this change AQUAS is effectively 2 packages in one. The support for AQUAS 1.3.1 will continue until 12-31-2017.
    • Fixed a shader bug, that caused a known compiler error, however I can't say if it hasn't affected one or two particular, yet minor features of the triple textured shader and the river shader.
    Since the update was already behind schedule, I decided that it's more important to get it out for bugfixes and better compatibility. For this reason, I decided to postpone the announced features "water presets" and "splashes" and to add them in the scope of an extra update. I'll try to have it done in the course of the weeks to come and hand it in as 1.4.1 as quickly as I can and keep the thread updated.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  12. FredrikS

FredrikS

Fantastic news, Dogmachris! Will we need to remove the current, installed, version of Aquas before updating?

13. jrhtcg

jrhtcg

In the folder: AQUAS\Textures\Caustics there are a large number of jpg files. When I browse for textures now, it always grates my nerves a bit to have to pan through that list. Are these files needed with all configurations, or can they be removed. I will, of course, live with it if they are needed ...

14. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

In order for the caustics to be animated, and not appear to repeat too often, a large number of images are needed. Without them you can't use the caustics projectors that come with AQUAS. Maybe the caustics system can be rewritten to use a looping video file instead at some point, but until then we're kinda stuck with a bunch of discreet images (The same method is used by this free caustics generator, so maybe there's some technical reason). I hate scrolling through all of those images too, just like I hate scrolling through endless leaves and bark textures that are used by my trees, but that's how the texture picker works. You can avoid it by dragging and dropping textures from known locations instead of using the picker though if you want. ;)

dogmachris likes this.
  15. dogmachris

dogmachris

Hey guys, I' just wanted to let you know, that the update is still pending review.

16. dogmachris

dogmachris

Since the new version does a different setup for the underwater effects, I'd recommend copying your project, removing the old AQUAS and then import the new one - just to be safe. ;)

trilobyteme likes this.
  17. Salja

Salja

Why is the update long time pending, i talk with ootii and he make a update 5 mins later i can download the update from the store all time never wait longer as 5 mins.

18. StevenP94

StevenP94

There is any tool to paint flowmap for aquas directly inside a unity scene ?

5 mins to get update ? AFAIK average time is 5-10 days.

19. dogmachris

dogmachris

For me in the past ist took 1-2 work days. First time since release, that it takes so long - maybe because of Unite Asia?

20. dogmachris

dogmachris

UPDATE ONLINE!

AQUAS 1.4 is out!

Attention:
    Since the update brings some major changes to the way underwater effects are handled, it's advised to make a backup of your existing project and delete the old AQUAS package before you import the 1.4 version. There's not much compatibility feedback yet, so please shoot, if you're experiencing any unexpected behaviour.

I'm currently working on 1.4.1 to add water presets and splash effects.

Enjoy! :)

Shodan0101, FargleBargle and hopeful like this.
  21. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

The update looks great. I get a strange flickering when underwater however. Only when I move camera/character. Any idea what this is? anyone see this?

22. dogmachris

dogmachris

Could you disable the lens objects and the post effects one by one, just to see if one of them is causing the issue?

23. dogmachris

dogmachris

I had 2 customers getting pink water without Compiler message - just to make sure this isn't a Major bug - does anyone else see this with 1.4?

24. Salja

Salja

i have a error sice the last update when i build the game

Assets/AQUAS/Scripts/AQUAS_LensEffects.cs(6,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `UnityEditor' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

This fix the Problem

http://prntscr.com/fcbacf

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  25. dogmachris

dogmachris

Of course you're right! Thank you so much, for pointing that out, I'll have it fixed today!

Salja likes this.
  26. Salja

Salja

Same fix or other fix ?

27. gghitman69

gghitman69

hello i have a bug with my fps 1.PNG 2.PNG 3.PNG

if i uncheck aquas_reflection my ocean is bad reflect
    How to solve this?
    I have 4 lake and 3 rivers but only aquas_reflection of the ocean takes half of my fps

28. dogmachris

dogmachris

The impact of reflections on the overall performance strongly depends on how many objects are being reflected. You might want to reduce the amount of objects that are being reflected by putting them on a separate layer and exclude that layer from reflection in the inspector.

I'm not sure why you're getting wrong reflections and why you're getting reflections at all, when you turn off the reflection script. Does this behaviour also occurr in the demo scenes? Do you by any chance have overlapping waterplanes or a waterplane that should in fact be disabled?

Teila likes this.
  29. mons00n

mons00n

Just downloaded the new version as I was updating to 5.6 and ran into issues with a build. It looks as though you're using AssetDatabase to load the post processing presets in AQUAS_LenseEffects.cs - but AssetDatabase can only be used in the editor and kills the build since it doesn't know about the UnityEditor namespace.

30. helgarddebarros

helgarddebarros

Same problem here.

Also, I can't get the caustics to show. My water depth is 4, so what would be good depth fade, intensity, etc, settings for that?

Attached Files:

31. Salja

Salja

32. gghitman69

gghitman69

33. gghitman69

gghitman69

my river joint a lake and my ocean
    Therefore crosses 4.PNG

big long river
    in your demo 1 lake or 1 river
    its not a terrain
    river joint ?
    my ocean traverse all map
    5.PNG

34. dogmachris

dogmachris

@helgarddebarros @mons00n @Salja That's of course a bug that I missed when I made the update - sorry for that. I've prepared a bugfix and submitted already- shouldn't take more than a few days to go online.

35. dogmachris

dogmachris

AQUAS 1.4 has been adjusted to work with the new post processing stack. The legacy image effects however still work with AQUAS 1.3.1 which is included as a unitypackage-file in AQUAS 1.4.

36. dogmachris

dogmachris

Instead of using multiple planes, you could also create a single large river plane that is large enough to cover your lake, river and ocean. Then export the river reference texture for that plane and paint the flowmap only to the areas that actually have flowing water. This way you could use a single plane for everything.

trilobyteme likes this.
  37. helgarddebarros

helgarddebarros

38. dogmachris

dogmachris

I usually have the distance visibility set to something like 10, the fade is 1, the depth fade in your case should be <2 and the max caustic depth <4 if you don't want the caustics to display everywhere on the ground of your lake. Make sure to get the settings right on both the primary and the secondary caustics projector. Are you using the caustics in conjunction with the underwater effects?

39. helgarddebarros

helgarddebarros

Yes, I am using it in conjunction with the underwater effects.

I am also using Terrain Composer, Unistorm, forward rendering.

I can't get the caustics to show. It was working before the update. I have tried various settings, but no luck.

40. FredrikS

FredrikS

Looks like 1.4.1 is out and about now.

41. magique

magique

Perhaps this is because GlobalFog is used by AQUAS as an underwater effect, but I'm seeing an issue where GlobalFog does not affect the AQUAS water. I'm using GlobalFog in my scene to fog the entire scene, but the AQUAS water itself is not affected by it. Any solutions to this?

42. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

The shader has an "Enable Custom Fog" setting that might help. Can't remember if it requires forward or deferred rendering, but it used to work with the old version of Aquas, and still works with version 1.4.1 in deferred mode. If you upgrade, you can also use different post-processing stack profiles for above and below water, allowing you to set global fog and all other effects independently for both. You need to be running Unity 5.6 or higher though, so not sure if that's an option for you.

dogmachris likes this.
  43. magique

magique

I'll look for that tonight and see if it helps. No, I can't use 5.6 at the moment so not an option.

44. SSL7

SSL7

Hello, I find it easy to setup AQUOS but now that i changed my player spawning with instatiating and not spawn the player at start, i get this error:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    AQUAS_LensEffects.Start () (at Assets/AQUAS/Scripts/AQUAS_LensEffects.cs:135)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    AQUAS_LensEffects.CheckIfUnderWater (Int32 waterPlanesCount) (at Assets/AQUAS/Scripts/AQUAS_LensEffects.cs:420)
    AQUAS_LensEffects.CheckIfStillUnderWater () (at Assets/AQUAS/Scripts/AQUAS_LensEffects.cs:508)
    AQUAS_LensEffects.Update () (at Assets/AQUAS/Scripts/AQUAS_LensEffects.cs:187)

when i just have my player on scene and press play everything works fine, when i use my spawner, it breaks. Also i have some weird shadows/reflections (using Unistorm)

45. ebizcraftsman

ebizcraftsman

Can you help me. I have Aquas installed by itself on a fresh project and I am getting this error:

AQUAS_LensEffects.cs error CS0103 The name `postProcessing' does not exist in the current context

Its coming from 4 locations on the AQUAS_LensEffects.cs script

Please help.

Now I dont know if the problem is that I am using the Beta 2017.1.0b8 , but I am using it for Timeline. So please let me know what I can do to solve this problem.

46. magique

magique

I'm pretty sure this means you haven't installed the Post Processing Stack asset from the Unity store.

47. ebizcraftsman

ebizcraftsman

Yes I tried installing it first, then clean project and after. Both ways I still get this error :(

48. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

Are you using the latest version? Aquas 1.4 had a serious bug. 1.4.1 uses the new post-processing stack, and only works on Unity 5.6+. 1.3.1 uses legacy image effects, and only works on older versions of Unity. I'm using 1.4.1 with Unity 5.6.1f1 with no problems, so if it doesn't work for you, either Aquas or the Post-Processing Stack may not be installed or configured correctly, or there's some issue with the Unity 2017 beta. It might be best to remove both of them from your project, do a clean install the Post-Processing Stack, make sure it works on its own, and then install Aquas 1.4.1.

49. gghitman69

gghitman69

I do not understand that the necessary script does not rename and put together with the package
    A plane deformable not luxury

50. Teila

Teila

Very disappointed that we now need 5.6 to use Aquas. There are bugs in 5.6 that will not work with other assets so we are stuck now. You say in the description that you include a version that works, but we cannot download Aquas without 5.6 so having those extra versions does us no good.

Any chance you can release with 5.5 too so that we can use it? I see other asset developers do that so I know it is possible. By uploading more than one release, it allows those of us back on 5.5 to download the assets we paid for.