Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

AQUAS Water/River Set - Water & Rivers for Mobile, VR, Web, Desktop

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dogmachris, Jan 8, 2016.

1. NocaNoha

NocaNoha

Yes, it is, thank you :)

I was blind.. or maybe just tired, not sure which of two :D

2. Image3d

Image3d

Thanks for the boat wake effect particle. I make the necessary ajustment for my game and let you know the results.

Using aquas shader in my water plane required to change the tile size...

3. dogmachris

dogmachris

That doesn't surprise me - the tiling depends on the UV layout of the mesh you're using AQUAS on.

4. sstrong

sstrong

Here is an actual example.

5. mak3r76

mak3r76

Hey...actually I´m using the Lite version and I´m really happy with it, looking forward to the full version.
    Has anybody experiences with VR...and is it possible to edit the movement of the water, like a wave generator?

6. dogmachris

dogmachris

Oh that. You can achieve something like that by increasing the "large wave refraction" parameter in the material settings.

7. dogmachris

dogmachris

@mak3r76 VR works, with the exception of reflections only showing correctly with a multi-camera-setup. When using SPSR, reflections don't show correctly. It's a common issue with SPSR reflections atm - see this thread for more info: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/5-4-beta15-reflection-rendering-wrong-in-openvr-htc-vive.398756/

AQUAS is actually all flat, so it doesn't have physical waves, which among other things makes it so performant. You can of course put it on a mesh and use a wave generator on it, but AQUAS doesn't come with such a feature.

8. Galahad

Galahad

Can't make underwater fog appear. The water is too crystaline.

9. dogmachris

dogmachris

@Galahad are you working in deferred rendering mode? If so, please make sure, to have the GlobalFog.cs script attached to the camera. Do you have a screenshot of what it looks like when you're underwater?

10. Galahad

Galahad

The mode is Forward because this is the mode the environment I'm using came.
    GlobalFog is attached as can be seem in the following screenshot.

I've been trying to fix this for nearly 3 days. Watching your videos and reading the manual. Trying to change configs from Lightning, materials and camera.
    Last thing I tried was turning your demo objects into prefabs and putting them on my scene, but the result still the same.

Regards
    Thiago

Attached Files:

11. JustZht

JustZht

Hi, I found that changing sampler2D to sampler2D_float with CameraDepthTexture in the shader will solve this problem (at least for me with /Desktop and Web/Double-Sided/Triple-Textured Bumpy shader on iOS 10 / iPhone 6S)

dogmachris likes this.
  12. dogmachris

dogmachris

I'll check that. Have you done that for every sampler2D in the shaders?

13. JustZht

JustZht

Not every sampler2D, I just changed two "uniform sampler2D _CameraDepthTexture;" to "uniform sampler2D_float _CameraDepthTexture;"

dogmachris likes this.
  14. dogmachris

dogmachris

I'll check if that works for everyone asap - thank you so much for your effort man! :) :)

15. dogmachris

dogmachris

Turned out, the issue was, that the fog mode was set to linear - underwater mode treats fog as exponential or exponential squared.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    Galahad likes this.
  16. Dambusters

Dambusters

Hi Chris,
    I've discovered that z-depth works fine on iOS with Unity 5.5.0 Beta 2 (and later) - I think Unity has updated z-buffer code for mobile. I'm easily getting 30 fps using the full Aquas Water (on a 6s) which is great news! :)

The only problem I'm having now is that the underwater the fog effect does not work on the device. I guess you probably didn't anticipate anyone using the full desktop shaders on mobile - is there an easy fix?

dogmachris likes this.
  17. Vedrit

Vedrit

Hi,
    I'm not sure if this has been asked or addressed previously, but does Aquas handle volume displacement? I.E. a boat is in the water with internal spaces below the waterline, does the water ignore the object, or is it displaced?

18. dogmachris

dogmachris

First off, sorry for the big delay, I've been shoving furniture for the last 10 days, and it's only now, that I have internet access again.

@Dambusters I was just about to start trying the solution, @JustZht suggested, but if what you're saying is true, it would be mindblowing. I can only hope so, with this issue gone in 5.5, I wouldn't have to dig into it anymore and it's certainly one of the oldest things, AQUAS has been carrying around. Thank you so much for testing, and let's kwwp our fingers crossed.

If you have a mobile test app for android or iOS, please feel free to share it, so people with other devices can test that too (I'm not in the 5.5 beta).

19. dogmachris

dogmachris

I suppose you're talking about a depth/volume mask. AQUAS doesn't have it by default - planned to implement it, didn't yet have the time to. :rolleyes:

For the time being, you could use/implement this:
    http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=DepthMask

20. Dambusters

Dambusters

Chris, Have you any thoughts on why the (desktop) fog shader isn't working on iOS?

21. dogmachris

dogmachris

AQUAS uses Unity's fog - does fog work if you simply enable it in the lighting settings?

22. Dambusters

Dambusters

OK Chris,
    Think I've solved this underwater fog on mobile problem:

Unity have added Shader Stripping under Edit>Project Settings>Graphics. If Fog modes set to Automatic it doesn't always add the correct fog modes.

Setting Fog modes to Manual (on the drop down menu) fixes the problem.

hopeful and dogmachris like this.
  23. jeffrey-nsg

jeffrey-nsg

Chris,

Love using the AQUAS shader. We've been running into an issue with your mobile bicolored shaders when we try to run them on iOS.
    This is how our shader looks in the Editor:
    In Editor.png

And this is how it looks on my iPad Air 2:
    On Device.PNG

It seems that for us, we have no issues with any of your shader that do not have any transparency, but the ones that do look like this. Is there something we have setup incorrectly?

24. Dambusters

Dambusters

Hi, Don't know if it will help but I think this is the same Z-Buffer accuracy problems I was having on mobile - looks like it's fixed in 5.5 beta (as Unity is using new reverse floating point Z-buffer) but meanwhile you could checkout the solution posted above by

JustZht said:
    .... changed two "uniform sampler2D _CameraDepthTexture;" to "uniform sampler2D_float _CameraDepthTexture;"

(I just did a globe replace in MonoDevelop)

25. dogmachris

dogmachris

@jeffrey-nsg I'd also submit, your issue is z-buffer related - not sure, if Unity is to blame or only the device's limited z-buffer support, but I think it's well worth trying the above solutions, @Dambusters mentioned. I'll see if the second solution works and if it does, I'll see if I can implement it safely throughout the entire package, but I'm pretty swamped atm, so I can't tell when this will be. :confused:

26. jeffrey-nsg

jeffrey-nsg

27. Kiwi-Hawk

Kiwi-Hawk

Kia ora

I just download this again after updating and downloading from Unity to be sure I was ALL up to date

Assets/Editor/AQUAS_QuickSetup.cs(325,81): error CS0433: The imported type `UnityStandardAssets.ImageEffects.GlobalFog' is defined multiple times

Assets/Editor/AQUAS_QuickSetup.cs(306,81): error CS0433: The imported type `UnityStandardAssets.ImageEffects.SunShafts' is defined multiple times

Assets/Editor/AQUAS_QuickSetup.cs(277,81): error CS0433: The imported type `UnityStandardAssets.ImageEffects.NoiseAndGrain' is defined multiple times

Assets/Editor/AQUAS_QuickSetup.cs(258,81): error CS0433: The imported type `UnityStandardAssets.ImageEffects.VignetteAndChromaticAberration' is defined multiple times

Assets/Editor/AQUAS_QuickSetup.cs(241,81): error CS0433: The imported type `UnityStandardAssets.ImageEffects.BlurOptimized' is defined multiple times

Assets/Editor/AQUAS_QuickSetup.cs(226,81): error CS0433: The imported type `UnityStandardAssets.ImageEffects.Bloom' is defined multiple times

I don't code and I buy assets to save me from that task. The one thing thats gonna drive me away from Unity is this
    spam of code errors that we get every time we import an asset. I have NO setup window any where and if I drag the
    AQUASWater Prefab into a scene it's just a single item NO Prob, No Caustic's Projectors at all. I either delete the editor folder or don't run the game mod which brings me to a stop.

Sorry I'm angry it is just so frustrating trying to make Unity and Unity assets works

BTW as a side note I can't see you mouse in the video tutorial at all, the only thing I see IF I happen to be looking in the correct place is the button press

28. Harald_Heide

Harald_Heide

Will Aquas work with Azure Sky??
    Wanna use Aquas, World creator, azure sky,.... :)

29. magique

magique

I just started to use AQUAS again in my project and I am getting the following error:

Shader error in 'AQUAS/Desktop and Web/Double-Sided/Triple-Textured Bumpy': variable 'd' used without having been completely initialized at line 263 (on d3d11)

Compiling Fragment program with DIRECTIONAL SHADOWS_OFF LIGHTMAP_ON DIRLIGHTMAP_SEPARATE DYNAMICLIGHTMAP_OFF
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING

[EDIT]
    Using Unity 5.3.6p2

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  30. tcz8

tcz8

Hi, really love how the water looks. I have been looking for a solution to make big and stormy waves similar to this: https://www.fxguide.com/featured/assassins-creed-iii-the-tech-behind-or-beneath-the-action/

Ok, that is some kick ass AAA water effects there and I am not hoping for a miracle but If I could combine Aquas' awesome looks with a wave generator as mentioned higher in this thread I feel like I may get good results. Does anyone know were I can find (buy) a good one?

Also, this may be interesting for the Dev, there is an interesting video on that page showing an interesting technique using a projection which gives some very good results for tiling. I think its the 2nd video, the one about the beaufor scale.

Cheers!

31. Ar7ific1al

Ar7ific1al

Been using Aquas Lite for a good while and finally got some scratch to get the full package. Kudos on the pricing by the way; $30 (upgrade) is great for a basic water shader that's vastly superior to the built-in water shader. But the errors are preventing me from doing anything with it.

My current project is a freshly created project in Unity 5.4.1f1, with Aquas and the following Standard Assets packages imported:
    • Characters
    • Effects
    • Environment
    In this environment, Visual Studio reports the following errors in AQUAS_LensEffects.cs.
    • 'GlobalFog' is inaccessible due to its protection level ...\AQUAS_LensEffects.cs 69
    • The type or namespace name `GlobalFog' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference? Assets/AQUAS/Scripts/AQUAS_LensEffects.cs 69
    The second error is also the error reported in Unity. As I said, I have imported the standard Effects package, which includes GlobalFog.

32. magique

magique

I've seen others report this before and you actually have to just go into the GlobalFog.cs script and make the class public. It's not good that you have to modify the standard asset to make this work, but that's the solution sorry to say.

33. Grendelbiter

Grendelbiter

Help! I'm trying to set up Aquas with VR. I've followed the thread you posted earlier: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/5-4-beta15-reflection-rendering-wrong-in-openvr-htc-vive.398756/
    I downloaded that Unitypackage that dan.kroymann posted. I'm a complete noob to programming and scripting, I have no idea where to put it. Putting the script on the waterplane does something, you can see the reflections in VR too but they look off. Do I need to configure Aquas for the Camera(head) or Camera(eye)? I'm using Steam VR and Vive btw. I would post in that thread but it says I have insufficient priviliges to post?!???

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  34. Ar7ific1al

Ar7ific1al

An alternate solution which I discovered was to reimport Aquas and allow it to import its own standard assets. This is why I generally dislike packages that come with standard assets, as it causes issues when standard asset packages are imported into a project.

Your suggestion works out much better, however, as it will allow me to import the standard assets packages and not have to have standard assets scattered throughout other assets' folders. Never considered making the class public. Thanks for the tip. :)

35. dogmachris

dogmachris

@Kiwi-Hawk the errors indicate, that the same files - in this case some image effects - are in the package multiple times. I thought this kind of error wasn't possible anymore, because importing a file with the same name as a file that's already in the package, should effectively override the previously existing file.

However, please delete AQUAS from your project and reimport it without the Standard Assets that come with it, if you already have image effects from the standard assets in your project. You'll probably have to make the GlobalFog.cs class public if you get the error "The type or namespace name `GlobalFog' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference? Assets/AQUAS/Scripts/AQUAS_LensEffects.cs 69" - please hit me up, if you need assistance with that.

A side note: I know it can be frustrating to try and make different Unity assets work together, but the way it is, is that asset publishers aren't tied to each other, so everyone makes his own assets the way he/she thinks they should be. This makes it impossible to make all assets be compatible with each other. Some publishers try to make their assets compatible to other assets, that go well together with their own, but even that isn't always easy, considering that every new Unity version slightly changes some environmental conditions on us, that on the other hand make changes neccessary to one asset, which in turn might break compatibility to other assets and so on.

I know, this isn't very consoling if you just have assets you can't get to work together, but that's why I'm here for support and help, so please ask if there's anything I can help you with.

36. dogmachris

dogmachris

I have tested AQUAS with ToD and Tenkoku, both of which worked for me. I haven't yet tested it with Azure Sky, but according to @AdamGoodrich from Gaia (which btw is my terrain tool of choice) it works with that too. Keep in mind however that different sky systems often mean different lighting systems too and since AQUAS depends entirely on interaction with realtime lighting, it usually requires slightly different material settings for different sky systems.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  37. dogmachris

dogmachris

I've seen this error before, however I don't yet know of a solution to that, but I have the suspicion that it's somehow related to the terrain - does it go away when you disable the terrain? Obviously you need a terrain, I'm only asking for testing purposes, because I wasn't yet able to reproduce the error on my machine.

38. dogmachris

dogmachris

As @magique said, this is the only solution to this now. I don't know why the class has to be private by default anyway, but for AQUAS to work correctly, it should be public and unfortunately I know of no way to automate making it public. :confused:

39. dogmachris

dogmachris

The thread you tried to post to was for beta testers only, that's why you couldn't post there.
    As far as I know realtime reflections are generally buggy with VR when using single pass stereo rendering - it works however with a one-camera-for-each-eye-setup, but this is already becoming obsolete. It seems to be a Unity bug, but generally if you have alternatives to the reflection script that comes with AQUAS, it should be attached to the waterplane and the reflection should be written to a variable called "ReflectionTex".

40. Grendelbiter

Grendelbiter

Ok, I give up with reflections. My FPS drops to about 50 when I set it up with reflections, which isn't acceptable for VR. But even with the mobile single colored foamy, reflections turned off I only get about 60FPS. Before adding the Waterplane FPS hovers around 100, which probably isn't that great considering I only have a 1kmx1km Terrain and 4 other low poly objects in the scene. I probably have to shrink my Terrain. It's starting to dawn on me why there are only Cell and Toon shaded games for VR.
    Sorry for the rambling, I don't regret buying your shader, I can't wait to use it when Unity hopefully fixes VR performance and bugs. For those setting up Underwater effects you need to move the Water and Air lens a little towards the Camera or else you get borders in your vision. The effects look really cool in VR, very immersive.

41. Ar7ific1al

Ar7ific1al

Hmm... Getting bad z-fighting unless the camera is up close to the surface on which caustics are being projected. Also, the tiling for the caustics materials is reset to 300 when I run the game. 300 is too small for this use case, and is barely noticeable even up close. 25 is perfect, but it resets to 300 on its own.

Z-fighting with camera zoomed out some: http://i.imgur.com/iXgtTjn.png
    Z-fighting goes away if I zoom in at least this close: http://i.imgur.com/SkJv370.png

EDIT: Actually, I'm also getting Z-fighting at certain angles when zoomed in like in the second screenshot.

42. 265lutab

265lutab

Hi I am working on a game that takes place underwater and I’m looking for a caustics asset I can use. Will the caustics in your AQUAS Water/River Set asset work without the water or all the other effects or does it only work when with everything else? Also what is the performance impact of your package? Is there any way to try it out to see if I can use it for my project before I purchase it?

43. dogmachris

dogmachris

I've seen that behaviour a couple of times before, but couldn't reproduce it, so I don't know if it's random or not. Does it happen in every scene or only in a specific one?

44. dogmachris

dogmachris

@265lutab the caustics also come as prefabs, so you can also use them without the rest of AQUAS. The performance impact strongly depends on the amount of objects that caustics are being drawn on. They're effectively projectors, so each object that caustics are being projected on causes one draw call.
    The only texting environments I can offer is the standalone demo pack. I tried to make the scenes of a rather high quality, so that requirements can be better anticipated.

45. virror

virror

Dont place them there : p
    What has this to do with Aquas? It depends on what system you use for placing the trees.

46. dogmachris

dogmachris

@virror which porst are you referring to?

47. virror

virror

The one that seems to be deleted : D
    He asked how to remove trees below the waterline.

48. dogmachris

dogmachris

Oh yeah, remember that- wanted to reply, but couldn't find it either. :rolleyes:

49. cowtrix

cowtrix

Hey @dogmachris, just picked up this asset and have been diving in (har har). Would it be possible to make it so that importing the project didn't import all this other trash in with it? Things like the PostEffectsBase for the image effects, a bazillion Standard Assets, etc.

50. dogmachris

dogmachris

Hi @cowtrix yes and no. Of course you don't have to import the sdt assets that come with AQUAS, they're from Unity 5.2.1 anyway, so if you're on a newer Unity version, they're already obsolete. However you should have them from somewhere, so if you don't import the ones that comes with the package, you should import those image effects for your currecnt Unity version. At this point there's a dependency from AQUAS to the image effects that it uses - this is unfortunate and I'll sort that out in a future update.
    However you don't need what's in the Editor folder except for the AQUAS setup files, those are editor windows and you don't need all the stuff for character control, that's only for the demo scene.