Search Unity

AQUAS Water/River Set - Water & Rivers for Mobile, VR, Web, Desktop

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dogmachris, Jan 8, 2016.

1. pagnotmf

pagnotmf

Sorry to be a bit of a newbie but it's quite possible that I am in deferred rendering mode. Do I have control of this in unity settings or something the course designer program is applying on build?

2. Migueljb

Migueljb

Cant get Aquas to show up in standalone build. Im using unity 5.4f3 and in Forward with Linear mode. Here's the errors im getting.

Shader error in 'AQUAS/Desktop and Web/Double-Sided/Triple-Textured Bumpy': variable 'd' used without having been completely initialized at line 266 (on d3d9)

Compiling Fragment program with DIRECTIONAL LIGHTMAP_ON DIRLIGHTMAP_SEPARATE DYNAMICLIGHTMAP_OFF
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING

Shader error in 'AQUAS/Desktop and Web/Double-Sided/Triple-Textured Bumpy': variable 'd' used without having been completely initialized at line 266 (on d3d11)

Compiling Fragment program with DIRECTIONAL LIGHTMAP_ON DIRLIGHTMAP_SEPARATE DYNAMICLIGHTMAP_OFF
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING

3. dogmachris

dogmachris

Select your camera object and look into the inspector. The rendering mode should say either forward or deferred or "use player settings". Set it to "forward" and see if that changes anything.

4. dogmachris

dogmachris

Ugh - never saw this issue before - which graphics API are you using?

5. Migueljb

Migueljb

Im using the Auto setting but I also just tried to get rid of d39 and only dx11. It seems to be only when I use the triple texture bumpy shader that it wont go over in a build. Any other shader converts over just fine in a build but the triple one is the one that looks the best so def want to use that one only.

6. Migueljb

Migueljb

So my question is does Aquas run in Forward on standalone builds? It runs fine in the editor and in game view it's only when I do a standalone build I get those errors mentioned above and water disappears.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  7. pagnotmf

pagnotmf

Thanks for all your help. Looks like I'm probably out of luck. I spoke with the developers of the program I'm using for the course builds and it looks like I have to use deferred rendering. I'm guessing this means I won't be able to get it to work with your product? Let me know if there's anything else I could try.

8. dogmachris

dogmachris

@pagnotmf AQUAS does work in deferred rendering mode. I was only asking, because in your build it looks exactly as if you're using fog in deferred rendering mode, which causes AQUAS to receive fog eqrlier than the terrain.

Just out of curiosity, could you attach the GlobalFog.cs file from the standard assets to your main cqmera and see if that changes anything?

9. dogmachris

dogmachris

Yes, forward rendering mode was my very first test condition.

I don't really know what this error is due to now, because I can't reproduce it. Have you tried it with a fresh empty project yet?
    Also may I ask, which Unity version you're using?

10. Migueljb

Migueljb

Im using unity 5.4f3 pro.

So what I did was copy and pasted all my assets in the hierarchy to a brand new fresh scene. Did a build in Forward and the water shows up. The only thing different is in my original scene the scene is baked in directional specular mode. Why would baked lighting interfere with Aquas showing up so weird but its the only thing that is different. In the clean scene its the exact same assets but no baked lighting and it builds right away no problem in Forward.

11. pagnotmf

pagnotmf

I tried that with similar results. I have tried with and without Fog enabled in Scene>>Lighting. I have tried setting the Main Camera Global Fog start distance at 0 and 3000 as well. Not necessarily sure if that's helpful to you. Somehow the designer program seems to set a haze across the terrain in the build. I am sure it is not AQUAS but if you have any more guesses, I am willing to keep at it. Interestingly, the program does have a water plane (based on Unity Water4Advanced) that uses a separate render camera and it is running Forward lighting and produces a correct transparency.

12. dogmachris

dogmachris

That's weird - baked lighting shouldn't interfere with AQUAS. I'll see if I can reproduce it.
    Keep in mind however, that AQUAS is designed to work with realtime lighting. Still it shouldn't produce errors when baking lightmaps.

13. dogmachris

dogmachris

Ah wait a minute, are you using some sort of custom sky-system from the asset store or so?

14. pagnotmf

pagnotmf

No, it's the default sky. I've tried running a build with minimum assets, basically a terrain, a ditch, and water and no success yet.

15. Image3d

Image3d

On your tech demo you have 2 boats with splash and wake effects. How was this done ?

16. dogmachris

dogmachris

@pagnotmf you said:

What exactly do you mean? Which program?

17. dogmachris

dogmachris

The wake effects are custom particle effects that are not included in the package, but I can send them to you separately if you need them. The reason I didn't include them in the package, is that they've been designed specifically to work for the purpose in the video and might require heavy tweaking to work for more generic situations.

The splash effect on the lens is included in the package and is usually triggered when the player gets out of the water, but it can also be triggered at will to show in required situations such as the one when the boats drive past the camera. See this tutorial for more info:

18. xzbobzx

xzbobzx

I have another question: Does the water & reflrctions work with multiple cameras (ala splitscreen play)?

Thanks!

19. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

Hey dogmachris, a while back we discussed doing a tutorial how I could get boats and objects to float.

Will the Realistic Water Physics do the job for myself and others? It says that it has built in support for Aquas.

20. Teila

Teila

Hey, Chris..have you fixed the problem with not being able to click on other things when Aquas is in the scene? I just heard from someone that he is having that problem. I assumed it was fixed.

21. dogmachris

dogmachris

Yes, they do.

22. dogmachris

dogmachris

Totally forgot about making a tutorial for the buoyancy feature that comes with AQUAS - I'll do that in the next days as soon as I get to it.
    As for the "Realistic Water Physics" asset, yes it's supposed to work with AQUAS. It's a bit more advanced, then what comes with AQUAS by default and has an option to draw lines for floating objects to flow along a streamline (useful for rivers). The guy also said, that in a future update, he'll try and gather that data right from the flowmap, so when you make a river with AQUAS and use that asset, you can have your objects drift along the river you made - but as said: this is only a plan for a future update.

TheSeawolf likes this.
  23. dogmachris

dogmachris

It's a Unity bug in 5.3.5 and 5.4 - only way to deal with it, is to temporarily disable the reflection script on the waterplane as long as you're working in the editor - sorry, I don't have any better news on this. :confused:

24. Teila

Teila

Oh that is too bad. I didn't realize it was Unity. Any word on when they might fix it?

25. anubisrwml

anubisrwml

Hey there - will this be compatible with the latest versions of unity (5.4.0f3 in particular)

26. BlueBudgie1

BlueBudgie1

Is it possible to have particles and/or transparent materials under water with Aquas? Like a glass dome or bubbles. Or would the underwater shader turn them invisible?

27. AltruXeno

AltruXeno

Hello! First of all I absolutely love the asset. After having tried several of the water assets I chose this one because of the beauty, customization options, and performance of the water. You've truly helped me out.

However, and maybe this was asked in a previous post and if so I apologize but Unity search isn't the greatest, but I'm having trouble with the reflections. I've looked through a majority of these posts and most of the reflection issue seem to stem from VR; I'm not using VR (don't have the sanity to begin wrestling with that just yet).

Basically, at certain angles the reflections on the water disappear. I've tried everything from changing the reflection intensity to increasing the texture size to changing what objects are reflected.

Below are some pictures that I have taken to illustrate the issue. Any and all assistance would be appreciated (I left the editor open so that you could see the settings for reflections. If any other settings are needed just let me know and I will post them as well). Note the small rotation changes between pictures (1-2, 3-4-5).

Thanks again for the incredible asset and any help that you can provide.

-Andy

28. dogmachris

dogmachris

@anubisrwml I don't know why it wouldn't. The only thing that occurrs on Unity versions > 5.3.4 is that as long as the reflection script is enabled, selecting objects in the scene view is blocked somehow - it's a Unity bug, I'm going to upload an automated workaround today and update the package.
    Keep in mind though that realtime reflections have issues when using single pass stereo rendering. I don't know if it has been fixed in 5.4.1, but it certainly exists in 5.4.0.

29. dogmachris

dogmachris

The bubbles are transparent. Glass and particles should work too.

30. dogmachris

dogmachris

Hi Andy,

do you use occlusion culling?

31. pagnotmf

pagnotmf

I am building golf courses via a custom package/plugin (don't know the term) called Course Forge within Unity. Within the Course Forge package in Unity, there is a build button (separate from the Unity build button) that compiles the courses I build for usage in a separate software program, Jack Nicklaus Perfect Golf. I really know very limited about Unity and its builds but my suspicion is that the Course Forge program may not always play nicely with certain assets. I don't know that Unity editor/lighting choices necessarily carry over into the build. I think what I need to try and accomplish is a Unity build with your asset and if it shows correctly, it may mean Course Forge build may not allow it. However, I do know things such as Easy Roads and Gaia are usable with the Course Forge builds. Whether any of these statements carry any logic, I have no idea. As stated at the beginning, I am not a developer and I know I'm probably not speaking the lingo so we can be on the same page. You have been helpful. I appreciate it.

32. AltruXeno

AltruXeno

Yes, I do use Occlusion Culling and even suspected it for a short time. Talked myself out of removing it. Should I clear the occlusion and see if it persists?

33. dogmachris

dogmachris

Yes, please try that.
    I have modified the reflection script to exclude reflections from culling, but I haven't yet pushed myself to upload this version, because it has another negative side effect: people who use occlusion culling for performance reasons will have nice reflections, but it will also trash their performance.

34. dogmachris

dogmachris

Uh, that's a more special case of course - have you tried the downloadable demo levels to see if the water shows in there? It was made with Unity 5.3.2.

35. antoripa

antoripa

Hi @dogmachris
    your package is outstanding. Nice price and easy to use.
    I have just used for a demo with Gaia. Super.
    Two questions :
    1) Can I make a waterfall?
    2) Do you have a roadmap for further features?

36. dogmachris

dogmachris

Thank you very much sir! :)

To answer your questions:
    The package does not contain a waterfall as of yet.
    I don't actually have a precise roadmap, I usually just do what was requested most and fits into my (currently packed) schedule. The last big update was in late july, so for the near future I expect only some little bugfixes, cosmetics and rather small features to come.

antoripa likes this.
  37. antoripa

antoripa

Thanks.... can you suggest me how create waterfall integrating with AQUA ...any idea ?

38. pagnotmf

pagnotmf

I have solved my issue. Sorry to have occupied your time. Spoke with the Course Forge developers and they have disallowed 3rd party scripting to avoid some exploitation of their game. Oh well, I enjoy the appearance of your water in the Unity Editor. Maybe I can one day convince them to allow your reflection script in the program.

39. dogmachris

dogmachris

First idea that would come to mind is using a particle effect waterfall - probably not the prettiest of all solutions and certainly not without restrictions, that why I haven't yet added a waterfall to the package, but that would be my starting point.

antoripa likes this.
  40. dogmachris

dogmachris

No need to apologize - this is a support forum. :)

41. sstrong

sstrong

Here's a screen shot with AQUAS using one of the Landscape Builder demo scenes.

LandscapeBuilder_AQUAS_stairway1.png

We're currently working on our LB WeatherFX integration with AQUAS. Is there a way to adjust the sunlight stairway effect? We'd like to make it a little more prominent. Not as extreme as the second image (which uses Unity water). Alternatively, it would be nice if we could add a little yellow or orange to the stairway which we could time-sync with our sunrise/sunsets.

When people have cloud shadows enabled in Landscape Builder, it would be good if we could also update the colour or intensity of the water in real-time.

DemoTemplate1_01.png

42. Image3d

Image3d

Just aquired the Aquas package. Good asset.

I need to be able to apply the shaders to a plane, instead of the water mesh you provide. When I apply the Aguas shaders, I am having problems in ajusting it to look like when we use the Aguas water mesh.

Wake effects custom particle effects

Can you provide me with a download link ?

43. dogmachris

dogmachris

What happened to the foam in the second screenshot?

44. dogmachris

dogmachris

Have you turned off shadow casting?
    I've attached the boat wake effect used in the video. It's exactly as I used it in the video with no further editing. It was made specifically for the video, so it will probably require quite a bit of modification to work more generically, I hope you understand however that I can't support it, as it's not part of AQUAS. Enjoy! ;)

Attached Files:

45. sstrong

sstrong

Oh, the second shot is using Unity water (not AQUAS) so is there to show the sun's stairway effect.

46. NocaNoha

NocaNoha

Hello

I have a problem with water showing over the billboards of trees. And I've found solution, sort to speak here, in the thread
    Transparent shader (water) showing over billboard trees

but.. the problem is, I am not quite sure how to apply the modified shader? I've tried setting it up instead of 2SidedTrippleTexture. That did fix the overlapping but I've lost all the pretty things for the water itself haha

I also tried to just change 2SidedTrippleTexture code line from "Queue"="Background+1" into "Queue"="Transparent-200" but that didn't work. Or I didn't do it properly.. sigh, the lovely drama of beginners haha

Can you please help me out solve this problem?

47. dogmachris

dogmachris

Don't change the shader, there's a component called "Render Queue Controller". WIth that you can control the render queue. Set it to 2800, then it should render behind your billboards. Setting it to -1 will restore the default value (3000).

NocaNoha likes this.
  48. dogmachris

dogmachris

Sorry, I don't know what the "sun's stairway effect" is. :rolleyes:

antoripa likes this.
  49. NocaNoha

NocaNoha

mmm, I was searching for info on it for a while now, and I still can't figure out how to implement it :(

Should I add that as a separated newly created script to AQUAS waterplane or?

Please don't judge, just a designer here.. trying to have fun with terrain modeling :D

50. dogmachris

dogmachris

No problem at all. Is the component added to the Waterplane? If not, add it manually - you can find it under "AQUAS/Scripts/AQUAS_RenderQueueEditor.cs". Once you have it as a component on the waterplane, you can set the render queue manually in the inspector.

Is that understandable?

NocaNoha likes this.