Search Unity

AQUAS Water/River Set - Water & Rivers for Mobile, VR, Web, Desktop

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dogmachris, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Mixality_KrankyBoy

Mixality_KrankyBoy

No clue what is going on, but as of today I am getting an error when entering water. This occurs in two of my scenes and the demo scene.

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. AQUAS_LensEffects.Update () (at Assets/Systems/AQUAS/Scripts/AQUAS_LensEffects.cs:387)
    Yes the Vignnette and Chromatice Aberration is attached to main camera and enabled. Also I have verified that it is the var vignette object that is null.

Ever seen this? Anyone else? I also tried re-importing all assets.

2. dogmachris

dogmachris

I can't make much out of te error, line 387 is empty in the script or at least it should be. Does the error occur in the demo scene too?

3. dogmachris

dogmachris

Hm... weird then. I know it's not exactly AQUAS related, though it seems to be triggered by AQUAS sometimes. Try disabling gameobjects in the hirarchy one by one (not AQUAS) and see if the error disappears at some point.

4. Twoonebe

Twoonebe

Hi Dogmachris,

i have a little problem here the error:

Assets/_Complete Tools/AQUAS/Scripts/AQUAS_LensEffects.cs(70,5): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `GlobalFog' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

i have reimport Aquas but nothing happend the global fog is in standart asset folder i don't now why i have this problem or why he miss the reference

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  5. dogmachris

dogmachris

That's currently so, because the class GlobalFog is private. Make it public, then it should work. See the AQUAS manual unter "Troubleshooting" (first point) for a more detailed how-to.

6. sstrong

sstrong

We're really enjoying using AQUAS with Landscape Builder. We are eagerly awaiting the arrival of the next version of AQUAS. Keep up the good work Chris!

IslandDemo2-1b.png

Tinjaw likes this.
  7. smada-luap

smada-luap

Now I don't have to worry about my player being able to run under water :D

imgpsh_fullsize.jpg

dogmachris, hopeful and docsavage like this.
  8. magique

magique

@dogmachris I am posting here because you don't seem to be answering or updating your river flows WIP thread anymore. I asked a question there and never got a reply in over a week. Do you have any updates or release timeline for the flowmap, buoyancy, and other new features?

9. dogmachris

dogmachris

@magique I'm so sorry for the delay, I got quite a bit behind schedule because of so many things I still have to take care of - you message must simply have escaped my notice. Originally I intended to release in early june, but it seems it has become early july now. I can see the end of development already, but I'm still busy finishing everything up. - Sorry for the delay again. :(

jonfinlay likes this.
  10. magique

magique

No problem. Thanks for the update.

11. StenBone

StenBone

I followed your advice and I deleted the game objects in my scene one by one. I have discovered that it is the Playground Manager game object for the Particle Playground plugin. This is a real shame because I love the effects that Particle Playground brings to the table. Have you worked with Particle Playground in the past or know of any work around?

Thank you again for all your help!

Particle Playground: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/13325

12. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Can't wait for this :) I've even reserved a special place in my scene to put it, doesn't seem worth importing the existing version when a vastly improved new one is just around the corner.

13. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Hi guys, Can anyone help me setup aquas if you don't have a terrain in the scene?

I just want the water working on a plane on mobile so the terrains are not efficient.

14. Knthrak

Knthrak

Hello,
    i have tried the demos of AQUAS and liked it very much. However i came across a behaviour when entering the water. Just shortly before going underwater the whole underground is cleary visible and not blurry as it should be. I attached a screenshot of this.

Is there a way to get rid of it?

Thank you and best regards,
    Otto

Attached Files:

15. Knthrak

Knthrak

Nevermind. Just read a few pages before, that this is a problem which currently has no solution. But dont't worry....also Bethesdas Engine has this problem :D

Best regards.

dogmachris likes this.
  16. dogmachris

dogmachris

@AndyNeoman the Quick Setup requires a terrain in the scene. If you don't have one you can either set up AQUAS manually or (and that's what I would do), add a terrain, add the water and everything via quick setup, then delete the terrain and everything is set up. ;)

17. dogmachris

dogmachris

Hey everyone, I'm not sure now which forum to post to - the new one seems to be closed to new posts, however there's new messages over there too, that don't show up here. :confused:

If I don't answer on one of the forums, it's only because I can't, not because I don't want to. :oops:

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding everyone.

18. dogmachris

dogmachris

Hi everyone,

AQUAS 1.3 is almost ready for the Update. I'm happy to present you a demo pack for Download >>
    The Pack contains 4 different scenes to see AQUAS in action in different environments and with different settings. The following scenarios are included:
    • An RTS-Style river scene
    • An RTS-Style ocean scene
    • An FPS-Style tropical island scene
    • An FPS-Style desert lake scene
    The scenes are designed to show as many of the different features of AQUAS, as possible.

Enjoy and all feedback is of course highly appreciated!

Cheers!

19. Knthrak

Knthrak

Looking great. Will this prefabs be available in the download-paket for using them out of the box?

20. lookx2

lookx2

Hi,
    Version 1.3 looks great!
    btw, I'm developing a VR game using AQUAS, but the reflection look wired in VR, it's not match for both eyes.
    Any workaround?
    Thank you!

21. dogmachris

dogmachris

There are some materials included to get started with, though not exactly the ones from the demo scenes.

22. dogmachris

dogmachris

@lookx2 I'm not very familiar with VR development, so it's hard for me to really see through it, but AQUAS uses the camera's view to determine what to reflect in which way (projection matrix) and then draws that on the water plane. Does VR require using 2 cameras?

23. IFL

IFL

@dogmachris - Yes, VR has to have 2 cameras for reflections from each eye. As it is now, Aquas reflections (even very low-res ones) look weird and aren't really usable. That said, I don't know if there are any water packages out there that have a fix, since determining the actively rendering eye (and thus reflection) is kind of wonky (if (unity_CameraProjection[0][2] < 0) for left eye).

24. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

will i have a fix for mobile water and fog?

25. lookx2

lookx2

Yes, it use 2 cameras physically. But in Unity they split the camera for both eyes automatically. Already have new options in the latest version of Unity 5.4b (Target Eye):

The reflection looks weird in VR because the reflection look exactly the same for both eyes. but in fact they should look different because the position of the two cameras are not the same(Stereo Separation).

26. lookx2

lookx2

I own Aquas and Playway water, Playway already support VR but the frame rate drop of using playway water makes me hesitate to use it. The performance of Aquas is much better. It will be great if AQUAS can support VR.

27. dogmachris

dogmachris

@lookx2 That's weird, the script should work with all active cameras. I'll make a test with multiple cameras later and let you know, what I get.

28. dogmachris

dogmachris

Hey there, I didn't even realize, the mobile water doesn't receive fog - funnily nobody has yet brought that up - embarassing :rolleyes: - I'll have it fixed with the upcoming Update.

29. lookx2

lookx2

Thank you!

30. dogmachris

dogmachris

@lookx2 I went and took the desert scene from the demo, added a second camera, split the view of both and then moved the second camera sidways and rotated it around the y-axis. Here's what I got:

RefTest.jpg

Reflections for both cameras seem okay here. :confused:

Can you somehow make a screenshot of what it looks like for you?

31. dogmachris

dogmachris

Finally finished up the new tech demo video. It shows AQUAS 1.3 with all of the known features better looking now as well as some of the new features from the upcoming 1.3 version (rivers, buoyancy, distance based tiling, etc.)

Any feedback of course highly appreciated. :)

Cheerios!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  32. hopeful

hopeful

So nice, I watched it twice! :)

dogmachris likes this.
  33. Xx-Dr-Pepper-xX

Xx-Dr-Pepper-xX

Nice video, those boat wakes are cool.

34. camel82106

camel82106

Regarding youtube. I was having similar problems with youtube pixelation artifacts. (that screen disintegration every x seconds in complex scene) Of course it's because of details complexity related to water waves etc.

But I would recommend you to try a trick that worked for me. You can upload in 1440p to get bigger bandwidth from youtube. But than 1440p would looks ok and 1080p like #%#%. But what I have made for my greenlight campaign is that I have uploaded 1400p video. So result video is 1080p on youtube. But youtube will give you still bigger bandwidth...

Maybe at least it's worth to try it.

Peter

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  35. camel82106

camel82106

I know it's malicious, new version is not even out and I want something to add.

But from video AQUAS River Tutorial I have seen that you are picking specific terrain instance for river. Would it be possible to suppport multi-terrain usage? I suppose that you take dimension of that terrain for creating water plane and for generating flow texture.

Thanks
    Peter

36. IFL

IFL

I'm not lookx2, but here's what it looks like for me in one of my levels.
    Aquas_VRReflection01.jpg

I don't think that it's an issue of whether the reflection script can handle multiple cameras. I think it's that the stereo rendering is done on a single camera (with Target Eye set to Both).

37. dogmachris

dogmachris

@camel82106 The river setup only adds a plane that fits the current terrain. It doesn't stop you from rescaling that plane to whatever size you need, so if you have say 3x3 tiles, scale and position it to fit that terrain. The river reference is exported based on the river plane's size, not based on the terrain's size.

camel82106 likes this.
  38. dogmachris

dogmachris

Sorry for using the wrong name.
    So the problem is rather, that VR uses the same camera for both eyes, rather than 2 different ones, one for each eye? It would make sense, if reflections look weird, when the exact same reflection os shown on both eyes, but I'm afraid I have no means to test that here. :confused:

IFL likes this.
  39. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Wow Chris, you did an excellent job with that video!

IFL, dogmachris and Teila like this.
  40. IFL

IFL

You didn't use the wrong username - I responded to something that wasn't meant for me. Sorry for the confusion. And thanks for having such great support!

41. dogmachris

dogmachris

@IFL aaaw, you're flattering me. :):):)
    Actually in your screenshot it looks okay at first glance. Does it look okay wheh looking at it through the vr device?

42. lookx2

lookx2

@dogmachris Thank you for your fast response! After some research, I think it maybe cause by the bug of Unity 5.4b, @IFL are you using Unity 5.4 or 5.3?
    I'll have a try on Unity 5.3 and test if the reflection problem exist.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/5-4-beta15-reflection-rendering-wrong-in-openvr-htc-vive.398756/
    Thank you

43. radiantboy

radiantboy

Bought this but cant get it to work. Looks fine in the demo scene but when I put it in my scene I cannot see the water. It also stops Unity letting me select any other object in the scene, until I remove the water then it works. Any ideas?

44. dogmachris

dogmachris

Are you working on DX9? If so, try switching the graphics API to DX11. If you're working on OpenGL or GLES, make sure you have the AQUAS_Camera.cs script attached to your main camera.

Not being able to select anything while AQUAS is in the scene is an issue that has yet only occurred in Unity 5.3.4 and 5.3.5. You should be able to select objects in the scene, as long as you have the waterplane disabled. Otherwise you can still select objects in the hirarchy. I haven't yet been able to pin down what's cauasing the problem, but I'll file a bug report to Unity, because it seems this is a version related bug, rather than an issue purely with AQUAS.

radiantboy likes this.
  45. agentc0re

agentc0re

Hello! I am having an issue with figuring out how to setup the water level in the best way.

https://gyazo.com/a310990a0bee27cd207466cdfe52c4e4
    https://gyazo.com/43e03d1be213b59ba815c04da153127a

There are a couple of images of what I'm trying to achieve. The grassy area's are lower than sea level so I can't have it fill the entire map. At first when I'd spawn, i was under water everywhere. I moved the underwater prefab attached the camera over to the water but it doesn't cover the entire area.

I feel like im approaching this situation wrong and am not applying Aquas water correctly. Can you offer me some guidance as to how you my approach this situation?

FWIW I used the Aquas setup to create the water, underwater effects and such. Only thing I did was resize the water and move it to the desired location.

46. dogmachris

dogmachris

Hey there,

the size of the waterplane should be the same in x- and z-direction. If that doesn't work for you, you can use a standard Unity plane instead of a circular waterplane, just be aware, that the standard Unity plane has a different UV-layout, thus you'll have to increase the tiling values in the material inspector (by a lot).

In the the inspector of the UnderwaterCameraEffects object (child object of your camera) go to the gameobjects tab, see the waterplanes array and make sure the size of that array matches the amount of waterplanes you have in the scene (in your case 1). Make sure the waterplane is in the slot of that array. If you use a standard Unity plane, tick the box that say "Using Squared Planes".

Does this solve your problem?

47. lookx2

lookx2

@dogmachris Another problem in Unity 5.4. The caustics on the terrain glitches, it change when the camera move:

Is it the setting problem or the Unity 5.4 problem? Sorry for keep asking questions.

48. lookx2

lookx2

@dogmachris After some testing, it looks weird not because they have the same reflection, Is the angle of reflection of both eyes is so strange, here is the screenshot:
    It so difficult to figure out why this happen....

49. dogmachris

dogmachris

I've seen it sometimes before, when I used caustincs, but it was usually only a sporadic effect that went away shortly after. Do you also have the issue in playmode?

Weird - in your screenshot reflections seem to be shifted slightly towards the outer edges - is that screenshot from the build or from the editor? @IFL could you maybe help us out by reducing your reflection's distortion to zero and take another screenshot just so we can see what it looks like for you?

IFL likes this.
  50. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Just downloaded the latest version, and I have to say it looks absolutely fantastic, photorealistic in fact, much prefer the new distortion effect. One thing though, is that it isn't visible in the editor, only during play. However, for some reason my editor camera changed (it rotates differently), not sure if this is the reason why, but this happened before I imported it, and before the water was visible in the editor.

dogmachris likes this.