Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

AQUAS Lite v1.0.4 - Affordable Water

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dogmachris, Jan 21, 2016.

1. dogmachris

dogmachris

Welcome to AQUAS LITE, the lite version of the AQUAS Water Set.

Info: If you're interested in the full version of AQUAS please visit This Thread >>

To The Asset Store >>

AQUAS Lite is a simple, yet powerful water solution for indie devs and those on a low budget. It contains one of the nine different flat water shaders from AQUAS with all its features. Nice looking for all types of 3D games, AQUAS Lite - even though it's only a stripped down version of AQUAS - is highly customizable and adjustable to fit all environments, atmospheres and dimensions.

Ease of Use
    Setting up AQUAS Lite is easy as pie. Drag the prefab into your scene, scale it as you see fit (the water surface will adjust automatically to the size of the plane) and adjust the parameters, until the water looks exactly the way you want it to.

Here's some of the features the asset has to offer:
    • Realistic color absorption
    • Depth-based Transparency
    • Realtime reflections
    • Reflection distortion
    • Soft edges at shore
    • Customisable shoreline
    Note: The water shader uses one normal map and is single-sided.

Screen Shots

To the Asset Store >>

Info: If you're interested in the full version of AQUAS please visit This Thread >>

Enjoy!

Change Log:

v1.0.2
    • Added custom fog module to use with fog systems that rely on the z-buffer
    • Changed minimum Unity version from 5.2.3 to 5.2.1

v1.01
    • Changed minimum Unity requirement from 5.3 to 5.2.3

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  2. norby

norby

thank you very much

Norby

3. dogmachris

dogmachris

My Pleasure! :)

4. dogmachris

dogmachris

v1.01 is online! AQUAS Lite is now available for Unity 5.2.3!

5. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Amazing free water.
    Don't work by default on dx9 ... it is intentional?
    I did find any issue on dx9! (remove d3d9 from #pragma exclude_renderers in line 56)

Thanks
    Max

Attached Files:

• dx9.jpg
      dx9.jpg
      File size:
      135.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  6. dogmachris

dogmachris

@sjm tech Hi Max,

AQUAS uses surface effects, that don't work with DirectX9. You can use DX11, OpenGL, GLES and Metal should work too.

7. gecko

gecko

This is really beautiful. I want to use it on a project that's stuck on 4.6.9 for awhile longer, but I get this compiler error:

Assets/AQUAS-Lite/Scripts/AQUAS_Reflection.cs(172,66): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `FlareLayer' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

Is that an easy fix, or is it just not compatible with 4.6.9? If it's possible, then I'll definitely buy the paid version.

thanks
    Dave

8. dogmachris

dogmachris

Hi Dave,

glad you like it. The reflection doesn't work with cubemaps, but with render textures instead. As far as I know this kind of reflection is not supported in Unity 4 free (I haven't worked with Unity 4 for quite a while, so someone mind me if I'm wrong). The error should disappear if you disable the reflection component on the water plane. However if you're using Unity 4.6.9, depth based transparency should also be a bit different, isn't it? How'd you get it to work on Unity 4 anyway? :D

9. gecko

gecko

I haven't gotten it working in 4.6. Unity (pro) crashes if I drag the prefab into the scene. I think that script needs to be edited to eliminate the compiler error, but sound like that isn't simple.

10. shuddle

shuddle

hi i just got this but when ever i put in the prefab the water is invisible
    pl help

11. dogmachris

dogmachris

What platform are you on? Do you have the AQUAS_Camera script attached to your camera?

12. Deleted User

Deleted User

I just got this and the water is invisible.
    Version: Unity 5.2.3f1

13. dogmachris

dogmachris

Add the AQUAS_Camera Script to the camera and maker sure, graphics API is set to DirectX11, not 9. Sorry, I must have forgotten to attach the script to the camera in the demo scene - will fix that with the next update.

Cheers!

14. Sir-Spunky

Sir-Spunky

Wow, I just discovered this asset, and it looks gorgeous! Way better than the built-in Water Pro. Thanks so much for releasing it for free. I'll definitely buy the full version if I continue using it.

Just have one quick question. I noticed that projectors don't seem to work on the water plane. Is there some simple fix I can do, like disabling some features, or is it a more complex issue? I don't really expect any support, so no need to answer :)

15. dogmachris

dogmachris

Hey thanks! :)
    On your question about projectors: AQUAS contains alpha blended shaders and projectors - as far as I know -
    use the z-buffer to determine the render order (just like shadows). I don't know of anyone who has yet made this work. And it's been on UTs "high priority list" for several years now. :D

16. Sir-Spunky

Sir-Spunky

Ahhh, I see what you mean. I remember that problem with combining transparency with shadows, and that it's an engine limitation. And I bet it's a pretty big thing to disable transparency in the shader because you'll lose many of its base features.

Thanks for answering! :) And thanks again for this amazing water asset.

17. dogmachris

dogmachris

My pleasure! ;)

18. magique

magique

I just encountered a very strange issue. Suddenly I was no longer able to select objects in the scene that I had placed the AQUAS lite water plane into. I started doing searches for help and found all kinds of solutions for the issue, but nothing worked. I had seen this before and those solutions did work for me. After just about giving up I decided to simply uncheck the water plane so it was no longer active in the scene. I could finally select scene objects again. I recheck AQUAS and I can no longer select. I did this back and forth several times and it's definitely AQUAS causing some weird issue.

EDIT: I'm not seeing the issue in a new project so maybe it was just a strange fluke.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  19. magique

magique

I've tried this out on the Wii U and the demo scene runs at a solid 60 fps and looks gorgeous. So you can definitely say it is Wii U compatible.

20. dogmachris

dogmachris

That's very weird, I have never encountered this issue with any asset whatsover. But well if it was limited to a certain project it might be that the projects was somehow compromised, I've had projects that would always crash unit whenever I wanted to go into play mode - then made a copy of that project, opened it and everything was working a-ok - welcome to Unity! :D

However I'm very glad it's doing good on the Wii U. If you try AQUAS please let me know of the results too, because I have no Wii U to test it.

Cheers!

21. Kazy

Kazy

I can confirm, I also had this issue bringing it into my project.

Also, is it possible to have multiple prefabs in the same scene, or should I use the paid version for that? When I use multiple ones, it seems the reflection is using the incorrect camera for the prefab.

22. dogmachris

dogmachris

@Kazy sorry for answering so late. It should be possible to have multiple water planes in the scene. Could you show a screenshot of your problem with the reflections?

23. dogmachris

dogmachris

24. googler

googler

Does your plugin contain shader that applicable for 2 platforms (mobile & web)?

25. dogmachris

dogmachris

@googler sorry, I thought it was about AQUAS, but your request is about the lite edition. AQUAS Lite performs well on WebGL. Check THIS DEMO for evaluation.

AQUAS Lite is probably too heavy for current generation mobiles, so it probably won't be satisfactory for that.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  26. NightmarexGR

NightmarexGR

Hello can i use AQUAS Water Lite to work in global space ?
    I mean i want to move the mesh in run time and not affect the wave/water movement

27. dogmachris

dogmachris

@NightmarexGR AQUAS Lite does not currently have world space dependent UVs, if that's what you mean. Such a feature might come in the future, but for now you have only the options to either scale the waterplane up really large (up to 10 million shouldn't be a problem with one camera), or use dynamic water tiles instead. You can make tiles with AQUAS Lite, just as with AQUAS. You'd just have to write a script that relocates the tiles to always have your center tile below the camera - that would have the same effect as world space dependent UVs.

28. NightmarexGR

NightmarexGR

oh ok thnx , i will roll with tiles then

29. Riaan-Walters

Riaan-Walters

Hello,

First off the water (when it works) looks fantastic.

I seem to however have an issue with the reflections and it seems to have something todo with the angle of the camera.

The first screenshot shows the reflections as it is expected to be.
    upload_2016-6-25_14-45-41.png

This screenshot shows it with the camera tilted ever so slightly upwards.
    upload_2016-6-25_14-45-12.png

Any idea how I can resolve it?

Here is my camera setup :
    upload_2016-6-25_14-47-43.png

And here is my water setup :
    upload_2016-6-25_14-48-21.png

Currently running in differed linear, and DX11,

This also only seems to happen when the camera is near the waters surface (within ~10units above it) When looking downwards from a mountain for example, it always seems to work

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  30. dogmachris

dogmachris

31. Riaan-Walters

Riaan-Walters

Hey, No im using only Tenkoku's fog.

32. the_nomad

the_nomad

Quick question - will you be updating this to work with single-pass stereo rendering?

I'd love to use AQUAS for the Vive game I'm in the middle of developing, but currently it doesn't work well at all with the new VR single-pass stereo function.

33. dogmachris

dogmachris

As of yet I have too little experience with single pass stereo rendering, but I know there's some issue with reflections showing correctly when using only one camera for stereo rendering. I'll post an update, when I have this sorted.

34. dogmachris

dogmachris

I'm sorry, I totally forgot about your issue - any changes?

35. browne11

browne11

Any idea how to get this to work with a orthographic setup? It appears the script does not support this. If so you should have mentioned that on your product page.

36. DizzyTornado

DizzyTornado

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but the water is invisible if use an orthographic camera. Btw I have added the Aquas camera script.

37. dogmachris

dogmachris

@MrSecretMansion AQUAS shaders are alpha-blended. The thing with those is, that terrain objects for some reason ALWAYS renders over them. The water isn't invisible it's only rendered behind the terrain. This isn't only with AQUAS, it's an issue with alpha-blended shaders in general. I know of no solution to this, I'm sorry to say.

38. xzbobzx

xzbobzx

Hi there!

Can I scroll the offset of the texture, to creature flowing streams?

Thank you!

39. Eknoes

Eknoes

I have some problems using this shader on a standard unity plane. When i use the example material and change the normal tiling and foam tiling it looks just grey/foggy and the Main Color seems to pretty much ignored. Any tips?

40. dogmachris

dogmachris

@xzbobzx the normal offset is used for the texture variations to create the effect of water. further offsetting (panning) isn't possible with that. Altering the dynamic offset, might break the water effect. If you're looking for a river flow feature, such as the one shown below, please consider purchasing the full version:

41. dogmachris

dogmachris

The tiling values for a standard Unity plane need to be drastically higher - try multiplying the tiling values by about 1000 - 3000. Does that help?

Kind Regards
    Chris

42. Eknoes

Eknoes

Yes i already set tiling to 1000. Here you can see the result in the demo scene

2016-09-11_15-22-31.png 2016-09-11_15-22-38.png

43. dogmachris

dogmachris

Ah - I think your standard Unity plane is casting shadows. Turn that off in the inspector, does that help?

44. xzbobzx

xzbobzx

Oh cool, that looks great!
    I think I'll try the Lite version first, and upgrade when I get to needing rivers.

Thank you!

45. Eknoes

Eknoes

Yes that was one problem. And i forgot to add the reflection script ;) Now it works perfectly. Thank you very much

dogmachris likes this.
  46. Rogalog

Rogalog

Hi guys,

I'm having an issue where the Aquas water seems to be rendering on top of all my sprite images when my camera is in certain positions. I can solve this temporarily by changing their Order in Layer to a higher value, but that also results in the sprite rendering over a lot of other objects which isn't ideal.

Is there a way to have the water render behind sprites without modifying the layer?

Thank you :)

47. dogmachris

dogmachris

Create this script and attach it to the waterplane:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.     using UnityEngine;
    2.     using System.Collections;
    4.     [ExecuteInEditMode]
    5.     public class RenderQueueWaterEditor : MonoBehaviour {
    6.         public int renderQueueIndex = 2800;
    7.         void Update() {
    8.             gameObject.GetComponent<Renderer>().sharedMaterial.renderQueue = renderQueueIndex;
    9.         }
    10.     }
    All objects with a higher render queue index will render on top of the water, such as billboards. If 2800 isn't low enough, reduce it further. If you want to reset the default render queue, set it to -1.

48. Rogalog

Rogalog

This works! Thank you for the quick response!

dogmachris likes this.
  49. zinkins

zinkins

Is it the reason that water reflects under the terrain? Is it possible to do reflections only on the visible part of water surface and not under terrain?

50. dogmachris

dogmachris

Generally it should be, by allowing the reflection camera to cull occluded geometry, but due to the mirror projection it's actually very difficult to apply it in practice. It would require to script culling routines inside the reflection script, which would in the end impact performance more than leaving reflections on.