Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Applying scene animations in a single FBX file

Discussion in 'Animation' started by kellygravelyn, Apr 14, 2014.

1. kellygravelyn

kellygravelyn

I'm doing some investigation into the animation system in Unity to figure out how best to lay out a scene where multiple objects will be animated and need to animate on their own.

As an example, picture a simple office. There is the main door, a couple filing cabinets, a closet, etc. I would like to model the entire office in a single Maya scene so I can easily manage the composition and animations in one place. I start by animating each element during separate portions of the timeline. This lets me split up the animations in Unity's importer so I have different clips for each element.

However then it breaks down. I get a single Animation object on the root object that can only play one animation at a time. So I couldn't have the closet door animating while the main door is animating. I could use blending, but that doesn't seem like what I want since I want both animations at 100% (since they affect entirely different objects).

Is this approach possible? Is there a better way to handle these types of scene animations where it's not really individual characters but rather the environment itself that's animating?

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014